Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 2.43 Benardrick McKinney ILB Miss. St.

Thumbs Up or Down?

• Up

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • Down

Votes: 13 12.4%

• Total voters
Other than Simon, we have no one to back up Clowney and Mercilus at OLB; and the Texans obviously did not see this a priority to address in the draft. Why? Maybe McKinney was drafted as an ILB, but he can effectively slide to the outside if needed. We drafted a very versatile linebacker, precisely the kind of player OB places an emphasis on.

I'll try bolder font...

(on if McKinney is a three down linebacker in their vision) “In our vision, we feel like he can do some things on third down, we think he’s a versatile player. We’re going to start off at the inside position and teach him that position. Then as time goes on, do some things possibly with him on the outside, but primarily he’ll be an inside linebacker. I do believe that he can do some things on third down, but primarily he’ll be a first and second down inside linebacker and then we’ll go from there.”

Pro scouts valued his edge potential higher than his ILB.

He'll start out as a 2 down guy and progress .... or not. His progression will not be based off of his coverage ability but his ability to get after the passer and that may not be from the ILB spot.

That's fine .... I'm Ok with this.

But it didn't really improve the position in the way most thought it should have been - With a guy who can cover TE's & RB's. Those TE's have hurt this defense quite often in recent memory.

I thought Tarpinian did a real solid job in coverage but left a lot to be desired preventing the run. This guy seems to me to be his polar opposite ....

OK, but even had you liked Kendricks (45) or Perryman (48) more than McKinney, a trade up would have been necessary. To get a top ILB, they had to spend those picks.

No argument there .... No way to know if McKinney would have been there when they got around to picking either.

Edit: I like McKinney , don't get me wrong. I suppose what it boils down to is that I (and a few others) was of the opinion the biggest weakness in the ILB's was their ability or lack of to cover.

I'll try bolder font...
Pro scouts valued his edge potential higher than his ILB.

Touche'
:)
But I saw it all the first go round.
I'm not unhappy with the pick. Sometimes you have to spend a little extra to get what you need.

Sometimes you have to spend a little extra to get what you need.

And that's where the question comes in - Is he what they needed .... or not ?!

I have to wonder if this pick signifies their confidence in Cushing's health improving , thinking he can be that 3rd down guy or if they are planning ahead in replacing him with a guy who can get after the passer from his spot (if) his health is questionable. Really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when this pick was made ....

We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out on Sundays.

I have to wonder if this pick signifies their confidence in Cushing's health improving , thinking he can be that 3rd down guy or if they are planning ahead in replacing him with a guy who can get after the passer from his spot (if) his health is questionable. Really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when this pick was made ....

We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out on Sundays.

I think they're playing a serious gamble that Cushing and to a lesser extent Clowney come back to health this season. This is an upgrade to ...umm, mustafa and bump opposite Cushing. OB would have been a lot more vague if they didn't intend him to be ILB.

OB is purposefully conservative about his role with this team because he's a rookie. He is not the type of coach to heap praise (and playing time) on a player unless they've earned it.

We drafted an OL last year that was beat out by incumbent backup Ben Jones. Because he got outplayed.

The press on this dude is what's really puzzling to me. He was very productive over three years as an ILB... MIKE even. But then his combine numbers are so impressive that we're talking about an extremely high ceiling.

Is he a workout warrior or was he not playing up to his potential?

The press on this dude is what's really puzzling to me. He was very productive over three years as an ILB... MIKE even. But then his combine numbers are so impressive that we're talking about an extremely high ceiling.

Is he a workout warrior or was he not playing up to his potential?

He is an all SEC LB from a little HS in Mississippi that has 500 kids total . He played QB and LB in HS along with other sports . He was in the weight room as much as Thorn in those days and will get bigger , stronger , faster .

I think they're playing a serious gamble that Cushing and to a lesser extent Clowney come back to health this season. This is an upgrade to ...umm, mustafa and bump opposite Cushing. OB would have been a lot more vague if they didn't intend him to be ILB.

Pretty much .... He'll play opposite Cushing and hit the sidelines on passing downs .... hoping like hell Cushing can handle those passing situations.

The one thing they have in their back pocket is a guy who is above average in coverage situations in Tarpinian should Cushing not be able to handle passing down responsibilities , only problem is he's not very good against the run and didn't appear to be a threat getting after the QB. Not a great hole card , but he gives them options.

What seems likely is that he'll be on the field for three downs, but switching to OLB on 3rd with Mohamed coming in to cover.

Pretty much .... He'll play opposite Cushing and hit the sidelines on passing downs .... hoping like hell Cushing can handle those passing situations.

The one thing they have in their back pocket is a guy who is above average in coverage situations in Tarpinian should Cushing not be able to handle passing down responsibilities , only problem is he's not very good against the run and didn't appear to be a threat getting after the QB. Not a great hole card , but he gives them options.

I'd be surprised if he starts ahead of mustafa... I mean Mohammed

What seems likely is that he'll be on the field for three downs, but switching to OLB on 3rd with Mohamed coming in to cover.

I don't think it's that black and white. I don't know of any run, run pass team.

Against different teams I expect we'll use guys in different ways. Even against the same team we likely throw out different looks. Have some guys do different things if they are able to.

It will be nice to have young legs to actually create some kind of rush from the interior other than Watt.

Instinct, some players have it, some don't. Demeco has it, I' don't think McKinney does.

That contradicts most analyst who say his instincts are good, but he sometimes gets his feet tangled and he has trouble dropping off into coverage.

Is this a personal assessment or is there conflicting analysis on him?

I personally take the word of scouts rather than my own opinion on everyone other than Earl Campbell who I saw in High School, College and in the Pros. He was a MAN playing boys at every level.

I don't think it's that black and white. I don't know of any run, run pass team.

Against different teams I expect we'll use guys in different ways. Even against the same team we likely throw out different looks. Have some guys do different things if they are able to.

Right, his ability to stuff the run up the middle & bend on the edges will allow RAC to do some pretty creative things should he choose to.

That contradicts most analyst who say his instincts are good, but he sometimes gets his feet tangled and he has trouble dropping off into coverage.

Is this a personal assessment or is there conflicting analysis on him?

I personally take the word of scouts rather than my own opinion on everyone other than Earl Campbell who I saw in High School, College and in the Pros. He was a MAN playing boys at every level.

What are you calling scouts? Guys who write articles and rankings for websites? Those aren't real scouts. I really believe alot of the guys who write for these websites just watch highlight youtube videos and get information about the player from the web. Most of them have full time jobs and don't have time to watch game tape on all eligible players. That is why teams have teams of scouts. It's to much for one guy. So when you read alot of these guys reports it's probably based on what the guy saw in limited film.

What are you calling scouts? Guys who write articles and rankings for websites? Those aren't real scouts. I really believe alot of the guys who write for these websites just watch highlight youtube videos and get information about the player from the web. Most of them have full time jobs and don't have time to watch game tape on all eligible players. That is why teams have teams of scouts. It's to much for one guy. So when you read alot of these guys reports it's probably based on what the guy saw in limited film.

and a lot of these guys, even the top media guys are just going off what some else has written. When you've a full media schedule you do not have the time to watch hundreds of hours of video on 300 to 400 players. I trust two, Mayock and Cosell. Not only do they watch the tape but they also have connections to talk to the coaches and scouts. Unlike so many, not only can Cosell and Mayock talk the talk, they can also walk the walk.

Someone with at least access to all 22 game tape qualifies. I have no access to the professional scouting community, so I listen to those who post. I'll even listen to those who watch the tape and come on this board with their opinions.

While I have lot's of ANSWERS from life experience, one of the answers is to know what you do not know and ask questions from the best available sources.

I'd be surprised if he starts ahead of mustafa... I mean Mohammed

I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't , they didn't spend 2nd , 4th & 6th round picks on a guy to sit on the bench and watch the cheerleaders.

Watt , Wilfork , Crick

Mercilus , Cushing , McKinney , Clowney

That's probably your base defense front 7 with one real question , can one of Mercilus or Clowney play Reeds spot and set the edge against the run as well as dropping into coverage on occasion.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't , they didn't spend 2nd , 4th & 6th round picks on a guy to sit on the bench and watch the cheerleaders.

Watt , Wilfork , Crick

Mercilus , Cushing , McKinney , Clowney

That's probably your base defense front 7 with one real question , can one of Mercilus or Clowney play Reeds spot and set the edge against the run as well as dropping into coverage on occasion.

I think they're gonna give McKinney a shot there, or at least test it out

I'd be surprised if he starts...

As would I. Jamie Collins was used sparingly until ~ his 12th game as a rookie. A lot more to assimilate at a read-and-react level than college rah-rah see ball, get ball. There's a lot of areas in his game to improve on... the subtleties of the game.

thats what I'm thinking. He will start out primarily inside and work on the outside with an eventual move outside if he looks ready and Mercilus looks not so good.

I'm not sure he gets that far out there, I just think he can eventually be a sub-package edge rusher. Still an ILB. He's a nice pass rusher inside. He's 6'4", 250 and runs a 4.66 and has some bend.

Most everyone agree's that the ILB's were a shell of the former Cushing & a buncha JAG's ..... and people think this kid wont at least start in the base package opposite Cushing ?!

Most everyone agree's that the ILB's were a shell of the former Cushing & a buncha JAG's ..... and people think this kid wont at least start in the base package opposite Cushing ?!

I think those people are wrong and Mckinney and Cushing will start. As in base D start.

Not to you but folks need to get over themselves. They are butt hurt he was picked at all so now project a small roll. We'll the Texans already displayed their disagreement on his worth once. I expect them to continue until proven wrong. Dude is opening day starter next to Cush.

I think Mohamed is a good football player, a solid starter on any team. If Crushing was his former self, he'd be more than adequate.

I can't believe a rookie can come in & beat him out straight up, unless OB is talking out his ass about earning a spot.

I think Mohamed is a good football player, a solid starter on any team. If Crushing was his former self, he'd be more than adequate.

I can't believe a rookie can come in & beat him out straight up, unless OB is talking out his ass about earning a spot.

I'm not very high on Mohamed , I believe Cushing & McKinney start .... Mohamed will be a situational sub.

Only time will tell ....

I think those people are wrong and Mckinney and Cushing will start. As in base D start.

Not to you but folks need to get over themselves. They are butt hurt he was picked at all so now project a small roll. We'll the Texans already displayed their disagreement on his worth once. I expect them to continue until proven wrong. Dude is opening day starter next to Cush.

Im not butt hurt in the slightest. I think he was brought in to replace Cushing, not Mohamed that's all. Mohamed was our nickel & Dime LB as often as Cushing, if not more. Unless Cush lights it up early in the season, we'll see more Mohamed & McKinney than Cush & Mohamed.

Of course I don't have a crystal ball as clear as yours, but I expect to see Mohamed in the mix.

DeMeco begs to differ. As do many rookie defensive player of the years. ILB is probably the plum spot in the league to come in and shine as s rookie. And against who? - a desperation street margin al starter will be kicked to the league curb once the rook takes over guy? C'mon.

Im not butt hurt in the slightest. I think he was brought in to replace Cushing, not Mohamed that's all. Mohamed was our nickel & Dime LB as often as Cushing, if not more. Unless Cush lights it up early in the season, we'll see more Mohamed & McKinney than Cush & Mohamed.

Of course I don't have a crystal ball as clear as yours, but I expect to see Mohamed in the mix.

The team doesn't agree with you I think. The last official depth chart had Mohamed as the backup to Cushing with Dent as the other starter. All depends on injuries tho....

He did get 2 starts last year I believe due to injuries

DeMeco begs to differ. As do many rookie defensive player of the years. ILB is probably the plum spot in the league to come in and shine as s rookie. And against who? - a desperation street margin al starter will be kicked to the league curb once the rook takes over guy? C'mon.

Well yeah, if he's the next Demeco.

That's what I believe as well. This guy will start next to Cushing as soon as he's ready to go.

Well yeah, if he's the next Demeco.

9 of 13 defensive rookie of the years since the inception of the Texans have been linebackers. And Mohamed is a wheat thin away from a couch rather than solid starter (which as has been pointed out he isn't to begin with). The fact you can't remember the "starter" to be beat out speaks volumes.

I think we're going to see this kid in the backfield a lot. Our ILB are going to get some clean holes to shoot with Watt and Wilfork soaking up blockers.
This guy is supposed to be an aggressive down hill type so I expect them to let him pin his ears back and shoot gaps. Keep his assignments simple as a rookie and take advantage of his strengths.

I think we're going to see this kid in the backfield a lot. Our ILB are going to get some clean holes to shoot with Watt and Wilfork soaking up blockers.
This guy is supposed to be an aggressive down hill type so I expect them to let him pin his ears back and shoot gaps. Keep his assignments simple as a rookie and take advantage of his strengths.

yup. I'm thinking he was chosen for his versatility and size. RAC gonna be able to show so many different looks. Hopefully new guys will catch on fast. I think its gonna be fun to watch

From Dane Brugler's Draft Guide:

0XM59y8.png

"Struggling to protect his lower body" is a great thing to hear when you're compared to Brian Cushing, I guess.

Personally I feel like the Texans were trading up for Stephone Anthony. But once he was taken at 31, they went for option 1B which was McKinney who has similar measurables, but is a split second slower. I though McKinney was well spoken in his interview. He is a tackling machine and hopefully he can run with those TE/RBs.

He fills a big need at ILB. So it made a lot of sense. I guess the NFL heads, especially the Texans like him a little more than I did initially, as I thought they could get either of these guys with their original 2nd round pick.

Personally I feel like the Texans were trading up for Stephone Anthony. But once he was taken at 31, they went for option 1B which was McKinney who has similar measurables, but is a split second slower. I though McKinney was well spoken in his interview. He is a tackling machine and hopefully he can run with those TE/RBs.

He fills a big need at ILB. So it made a lot of sense. I guess the NFL heads, especially the Texans like him a little more than I did initially, as I thought they could get either of these guys with their original 2nd round pick.

Ob just said they targeted him and strong with trade ups. Also, teams don't normally pull the trigger on a trade unless the guy they want is actually there. They discuss it with the other team and if it falls the way they want then they pull the trigger.

Also ob said they think he'll start off as Ilb but he sees him as a guy that can slide outside with his size and ability. He said they'll start him off inside and as he learns they'll look to do different things with him. But he also said he thinks he'll start off as a 1st and 2nd down player.

I think the whole reason that BoB is not saying that McKinney will play OLB in addition to ILB right away is due to the way that Xavier Su'a-Filo was expected to play multiple positions as a rookie last year. BoB is on the record saying that was a mistake and he should have put him at one position and only when he was comfortable that he should move him around again. I think he wants him to learn the ILB spot first and then only when he is comfortable, slide him outside when the situation calls for it.

I think the whole reason that BoB is not saying that McKinney will play OLB in addition to ILB right away is due to the way that Xavier Su'a-Filo was expected to play multiple positions as a rookie last year. BoB is on the record saying that was a mistake and he should have put him at one position and only when he was comfortable that he should move him around again. I think he wants him to learn the ILB spot first and then only when he is comfortable, slide him outside when the situation calls for it.

That's exactly how I see it. Rookies have enough trouble transitioning their skill to the NFL at one position. X's play was essentially saboutaged last year.

Back