Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Scouting Notes

Found this link on another site and it really has some good stuff. Anonymous NFL scouts talking about the players.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=333250

Here are two offensive guys I like even better after reading the write-ups.

"3. JONATHAN LUIGS Arkansas 6-3½ 300 5.16 4
Started seven games at RG in '05 before becoming the No. 1 center for the next three seasons. "Strength is the issue with him," one scout said. "He has really fine movement skills, awareness, know-how, quickness, tenacity, finish, motivation." Projected as a better fit for zone teams. "He's not dominating but he blocks everybody," another scout said. "He's not a ripping, snarling, get-after-you guy." Wonderlic of 32. "He's always about encouraging his teammates," a third scout said. "He's a leader. He's got short arms (31¼) but he has a knack for moving his feet. I thought he'd get totally blown up and destroyed by (Terrance) Cody of Alabama. A couple times he did but other than that he did a good job."

"7. GLEN COFFEE Alabama 6-0 1/2 209 4.53 2-3
Fourth-year junior. "If Denver gets him they will lead the league in rushing next year," one scout said. "He has the NFL run style. One cut, get downhill and go. Doesn't waste time. Not elusive or anything. He sees a hole and hits it hard." Rushed 410 times for 2,107 (5.1) and 14 TDs and caught 42 for 351. "He averaged 6 yards a carry last year," said Savage. "He could be a surprise for somebody." Led the top backs on the Wonderlic with 27. "Early on, he was a young kid that had all the answers," another scout said. "But he kind of matured and grew up. He's helped himself. He's got some stiffness in his lower body but he's going to run hard. I don't know if he's got that second burst, and he may be a fumbler (seven, lost four)."

Found this link on another site and it really has some good stuff. Anonymous NFL scouts talking about the players.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=333250

Here are two offensive guys I like even better after reading the write-ups.

"3. JONATHAN LUIGS Arkansas 6-3½ 300 5.16 4
Started seven games at RG in '05 before becoming the No. 1 center for the next three seasons. "Strength is the issue with him," one scout said. "He has really fine movement skills, awareness, know-how, quickness, tenacity, finish, motivation." Projected as a better fit for zone teams. "He's not dominating but he blocks everybody," another scout said. "He's not a ripping, snarling, get-after-you guy." Wonderlic of 32. "He's always about encouraging his teammates," a third scout said. "He's a leader. He's got short arms (31¼) but he has a knack for moving his feet. I thought he'd get totally blown up and destroyed by (Terrance) Cody of Alabama. A couple times he did but other than that he did a good job."

"7. GLEN COFFEE Alabama 6-0 1/2 209 4.53 2-3
Fourth-year junior. "If Denver gets him they will lead the league in rushing next year," one scout said. "He has the NFL run style. One cut, get downhill and go. Doesn't waste time. Not elusive or anything. He sees a hole and hits it hard." Rushed 410 times for 2,107 (5.1) and 14 TDs and caught 42 for 351. "He averaged 6 yards a carry last year," said Savage. "He could be a surprise for somebody." Led the top backs on the Wonderlic with 27. "Early on, he was a young kid that had all the answers," another scout said. "But he kind of matured and grew up. He's helped himself. He's got some stiffness in his lower body but he's going to run hard. I don't know if he's got that second burst, and he may be a fumbler (seven, lost four)."

I wouldn't have a problem with either.

Both of these guys are on my radar with our 4th rd picks along with a bunch of others obvisiouly. Coffee wouldn't upset me in the least. That would make me very happy.

Both of these guys are on my radar with our 4th rd picks along with a bunch of others obvisiouly. Coffee wouldn't upset me in the least. That would make me very happy.

Me too. means that if Slaton stays healthy and continues his pace....he's going to get paid. I gotta pay a back four to six million....I want to give the money to someone who's run the gauntlet for me and proven he has that burning desire to put a ring on every ones finger.

I've liked Coffee for a while now, every time I see him run he just goes all out, Domanick Davis style. How would you guys feel if we picked him in the third? Or maybe if we trade down in the first and picked up an extra third and used one on him? Personally I would have no problem taking him in the third either way.

Also for anyone that doesn't want to scour the entire article here is a bit on Clay Matthews:

2. CLAY MATTHEWS Southern California 6-3 245 4.61 1
Came out of Agoura, Calif., weighing 195 and with one scholarship offer (Idaho) in hand. Turned it down to walk on at USC, the alma mater of his father, Clay, and his uncle, Bruce. Clay was a terrific NFL LB for 19 years and Bruce made the Hall of Fame as a guard. "I'm a big guy on genes," one scout said. "He knows what it takes." Excelled on special teams for three years but had just 40 tackles from scrimmage and wasn't even on the so-called combine "list" entering the '08 season. "It's pretty unusual," former Cleveland GM Phil Savage said. "There was enough tape on Clay to see him (as a player) but not enough to say he was going to be a first-round pick." Moved ahead of sophomore Everson Griffen in Week 4 and had an exceptional year playing both up and down. "His dad was a great player but not nearly as athletic as this kid is," Polian said. "This guy does amazing things." Never been hurt. Wonderlic of 27. Tremendous worker. "He's got a chip on his shoulder and is out to prove to everybody that he's really good," another scout said. "Automatically that's a plus right there. Well-spoken and articulate." Still, scouts point to LB Bobby Carpenter, a first-round bust in Dallas with a father who was a 10-year NFL RB. "They said that stuff about Bobby Carpenter, too, dad's genes and all that," a third scout said. "The one year starting is a concern. I don't think he's a space athlete. He worked out better than he played." Finished with 96 tackles (13½ for loss), 5½ sacks and six turnover plays.

all of that is good. I want him because he has the best pair of hips on a linebacker that Ive seen in a generation. I buy that any draft. I don't care who he's related to . If Orakpo and him are both on the board at fifteen...I take Mathews now and don't look back. Guru's are over thinking. The guy is an elite athlete. Every snap he is only going to get better. He solves the sack problem. solves the DB problem with his cover abilty...to me he's a no brainer. I'm waiting for the rest of you to catch up. Adibi Moves to nickle Linebacker....they fight it out for playing time.

I know not everybody on this board is a big fan of Matthews.

But I really repect a guy who had to earn everything he got.

Too many of these athletes have everything handed to them their whole lives and when they make it to the big time they don't know how to do the work.

With Clay's work ethic, he has a chance.

I've been pimpin Glenn Coffee for a long long time. The dude can flat out play and I'm not concerned with 40 time as much as I am a guy who can break tackles. Glenn can do that.

I also agree about Matthews when someone said you have to respect a guy that's earned everything he's got.

As I understand, Saban had said that Coffee carries the ball correctly.

I've seen a couple, and those things happen.
The Georgia game, he tripped on a lineman shoe. And as he stumbled forward, the safety came up and put a helmet on the ball.
Can't remember the other one.

The Kentucky game:

"What happened on the fumbles? Did you just lose it?"

"On the first one, I was trying to put the ball in front of me to get some extra yards and it hit something. On the second one, someone came up behind me. I just have to continue to hold the ball high and tight."

http://www.sportsshooter.com/port_popup.html?mem_id=7931&i_id=765083

Looks like he carried the ball correctly.
Two guys were on him from the back.

http://www.druidcityonline.com/HomeGames2008/05kent-coffee.htm

I'll have to add another tidbit on Clay, even though I like him.

He made the same mistake in the game against Penn St. as in the game against UCLA. Blown coverage on the left side. Wide open TE who dropped the ball in the endzone.

Many of the sacks and TFLs were unchecked in the games I saw.

In the Penn St. game, he wasn't doing much until the RT #73 (I believe) hurt his knees sometimes in the first quarter. He was later replaced by #77

I would have no problem if the Texans went with Glen Coffee as their back that they draft this season. The only thing I'd like to see Coffee do is gain 10 or so more pounds, and I think he would be perfect. :ok:

all of that is good. I want him because he has the best pair of hips on a linebacker that Ive seen in a generation. I buy that any draft. I don't care who he's related to . If Orakpo and him are both on the board at fifteen...I take Mathews now and don't look back. Guru's are over thinking. The guy is an elite athlete. Every snap he is only going to get better. He solves the sack problem. solves the DB problem with his cover abilty...to me he's a no brainer. I'm waiting for the rest of you to catch up. Adibi Moves to nickle Linebacker....they fight it out for playing time.

If everything you say is true, and the talent is there, then that thing the scout said about the chip on his shoulder, the burning desire to prove something....... I'd be happy with the pick.

I know not everybody on this board is a big fan of Matthews.

But I really repect a guy who had to earn everything he got.

Too many of these athletes have everything handed to them their whole lives and when they make it to the big time they don't know how to do the work.

With Clay's work ethic, he has a chance.

I agree, and really like the work ethic. But that doesn't make him the best player at 15. Still very raw and would be a project.

I agree, and really like the work ethic. But that doesn't make him the best player at 15. Still very raw and would be a project.

I certainly agree with that and my previous post definitely wouldn't be my rationale for why I think we should or shouldn't draft him.

I just think that even if you're a fan who wants no part of Matthews in a Texans uniform, you still should respect the guy. He's earned that at least.

I certainly agree with that and my previous post definitely wouldn't be my rationale for why I think we should or shouldn't draft him.

I just think that even if you're a fan who wants no part of Matthews in a Texans uniform, you still should respect the guy. He's earned that at least.

No, I get that, that's why I agree with what you said. There are things to like about Matthews, his work ethic and character chief among those. If we were to take Matthews, I won't be upset, I just won't be real thrilled either. Like I said, he is very raw, but athletic. I think this team would be better served by taking a proven commodity at their position at 15. If Matthews was the pick, I'd be happier if it came with a trade down. However, if the Texans want to take a project/hybrid player to make an OLB, Matthews would be my pick over someone like Maybin.

Back