Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub:Texans wise investment

Wolf

100% Texan
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ubYF?slug=jc-texans091607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

biggest thing that stuck out with me

Schaub also performed under difficult circumstances, as the first 10 minutes of this game had the makings of a Carolina blowout. Wide receiver Steve Smith was toying with Houston cornerback Demarcus Faggins, scoring twice with ease. Houston also contributed a Daniels fumble.

That's when Schaub went to the defense and apologized for the poor start. It wasn't the deepest conversation, but it played to the spirit of the moment.

"When he said that, it made everybody hang together," Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson said. "When you have a guy like that, stepping up like a leader, you want to play hard for him."

Said Schaub: "It's a team game, and there are no divisions between the defense and the offense. I wanted those guys to know that. We put them in a bad situation with the turnover, and I wanted them to know, 'I got your back and you're going to have mine at some point.' "

Schaub responded by hitting Johnson on two of three plays during a 65-yard drive, including a 32-yard score as Johnson ran untouched through Carolina's suspect secondary.

brings a tear to my eye

Well said... its about time we got a QB with a good head on his shoulders.

How do you like my math?

8 + 80 = "10" (perfect score)

Wow, the Defense usually was always in a tough position with Carr. It wasn't his fault O.D. fumbled the ball, yet he still apologized for the bad platy for the whole offense...

Like Carr said "Let somebody else do it."

Yeah really...

Just try telling the Falcons it was a wise investment by the Texans

Half of them would agree, since they knew Schaub was the real deal.

The other half is still under the delusion that Michael Vick will return to the NFL at some point.

The other half is still under the delusion that Michael Vick will return to the NFL at some point.

I was trying to get at the fact that it would remind them that they let Schaub go and he is proving to be the real deal, while they could really do with him as there starting qb right now.

Folks. That article is a good sign this team will be the real deal for years to come. This team believes in and plays for each other like a band of brothers. That is what the great teams do.

Start up the bandwagon bus. Its time to get it going!

and i was one of the fools that thought we could make it work with carr. glad we got this guy now.

no problem, man. it doesnt matter when you got on board, it just matters that you got on board.

schaub has been far from perfect, but he doesn't need to be perfect. he just needs to compete and play to win. something the former guy just never gave a crap about.

yesterday's game was the best I have felt about a Houston football team victory since the Christmas Eve Oilers victory over the Steve Young and the 49ers in Candlestick Park back during our miraculous run under Buddy Ryan's defense. The victory over CAR was just one big happy pill for me.

I <3 the Texans
Matt FTW

Just as there are those out there amongst us, on this board, that are delusional that David Carr is a NFL caliber QB.

Just as there are those out there amongst us, on this board, that are delusional that David Carr is a NFL caliber QB.

I don't know man. I feel most have come to the realization that they were wrong. the others who are too stupid or stubborn to admit they were wrong have moved on to the Panthers message board because they were never real Texans fans to begin with. Other than Caddy, I can't think of any other poster that remains that is still deluded enough to think Carr is anything other than a very bad NFL QB with nice hair.

I don't know man. I feel most have come to the realization that they were wrong. the others who are too stupid or stubborn to admit they were wrong have moved on to the Panthers message board because they were never real Texans fans to begin with. Other than Caddy, I can't think of any other poster that remains that is still deluded enough to think Carr is anything other than a very bad NFL QB with nice hair.

He had a nice tan as well this weekend. :fans:

Wow, the Defense usually was always in a tough position with Carr. It wasn't his fault O.D. fumbled the ball, yet he still apologized for the bad platy for the whole offense...

Like Carr said "Let somebody else do it."

Yeah really...

Exactly... I know it wasn't all Carr, but as the trigger man, the face of the franchise, the freakin QB, he has to be willing to take on the faults of others as his own.

That's quiet leadership, going over to the defense, saying "Hey, we screwed up, but we'll make it right."

accountabillity.... that's what we've been missing.

Well, David was always blaming the O'Line(sure, he never said it, but you could tell by what he did with the ball), and our OL(McKinney especially) was always trying to shoulder that responsibility.

Shouldn't it be 8 + 80 = 6 (TD)

You bring up a good point! Your approach to the equation is fairly straight forwarded and I like that. I do see, however, that all though the values you used in your equation will reach a result - there is one more value to consider which could make a big difference in certain instances. This value is a contributing factor to the first two that we have all ready discussed but ALWAYS has the potential to be used as an augmentation to a OL matrix to achieve a different result (see "B")

A. (8) + (80) = 6 + (3) = 7

I think you will agree, this equation is fully answered.
======================================================
B. [(80 + 74 + 69 + 44 + 76 + 30 + 70 + 73 + 81 + 83) + 8
] = Potential 6

If we augment (3) into the matrix, we have a good change of obtaining an immediate result - although not a high of a result as we fans may like:

[(80 + 74 + 69 + 44 + 76 + 30 + 70 + 73 + 81 + 83) + 8
] + (3) = 3 (FG)

lol Thoughts?

Well said. Carr use to pee me of so much that I would just turn the TV off. It hurt to see the team try to pull things together and not have good solid leadership to show them the way. Schaub is heaven sent, thats all i can say. He shows compassion, character, and strength to the team. Some may say that it was nothing for him to take the blame for the bad play but the team as a whole found a new respect for him as a result.

One thing I keep hearing over and over again is "we believe in ourselves". The press kept asking "what did you do different" and the answer was the same every time - nothing. I really think this may be a result of Schaub's leadership - showing though.

A team united will not be divided but unification will never be achieved without quality leadership.

I'm guessing that you'd have a hard time finding those who complained about giving up a couple of second-rounders for this truly superb QB.

You bring up a good point! Your approach to the equation is fairly straight forwarded and I like that. I do see, however, that all though the values you used in your equation will reach a result - there is one more value to consider which could make a big difference in certain instances. This value is a contributing factor to the first two that we have all ready discussed but ALWAYS has the potential to be used as an augmentation to a OL matrix to achieve a different result (see "B")

B. [(80 + 74 + 69 + 44 + 76 + 30 + 70 + 73 + 81 + 83) + 8
] = Potential 6

If we augment (3) into the matrix, we have a good change of obtaining an immediate result - although not a high of a result as we fans may like:

[(80 + 74 + 69 + 44 + 76 + 30 + 70 + 73 + 81 + 83) + 8
] + (3) = 3 (FG)

lol Thoughts?

I think you need a drink at 9:20. :cowboy1:

I'm guessing that you'd have a hard time finding those who complained about giving up a couple of second-rounders for this truly superb QB.

Yeah well, there was a HELL OF A LOT of those who complained about that. And I'll bet there are still a couple of those draft fanatics that still feel that way.

They need to man up and start scarfing down that crow pie.

I was critical about giving up two 2nd rd. picks for a 3rd rd. pick (Schaub was selected 90th overall the 27th pick of the 3rd rd. in 2004). have to admit knew very little about him. concerned that for someone (Kubiak) who thought enough of Carr to extend him & pass on VY. concerned because of a miserable record of giving away draft picks for players who never panned out (Buchanon, Babin). yes I think at the time there where plenty of wait & see what happens with a note of skeptism in the air fans including myself.

There is one constant in the equation that changed everything. He facilitated the release of Carr, made the deal to trade for Schaub, had an excellent draft, found solid free & undrafted free agents that can be summed up in two words-

Rick Smith

having such a keen eye for talent & potential is a gift, a passion & alot of hard work spending hours watching film, travel long hours etc.... then once you have your wish list, your guy (Schaub) to go out there & make it happen is the sign of a great GM. now I'd have to agree the Texans have a great young QB too :logo:

lol Thoughts?

Thank you for completing the equation. I knew there was something missing:doot:

"When he said that, it made everybody hang together," Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson said. "When you have a guy like that, stepping up like a leader, you want to play hard for him."

hmmmm...perhaps I should research the folks that called me a fool for saying a leader at QB can make your defense better, too. :whistle:

And only TWO sacks in two games?! How could our offensive line possibly improve with just changing a QB? Oh wait, I was a fool for saying Schaub would make our line better, too. Same offensive line, but something is different.... :um:

I was critical about giving up two 2nd rd. picks for a 3rd rd. pick (Schaub was selected 90th overall the 27th pick of the 3rd rd. in 2004). have to admit knew very little about him. concerned that for someone (Kubiak) who thought enough of Carr to extend him & pass on VY. concerned because of a miserable record of giving away draft picks for players who never panned out (Buchanon, Babin). yes I think at the time there where plenty of wait & see what happens with a note of skeptism in the air fans including myself.

There is one constant in the equation that changed everything. He facilitated the release of Carr, made the deal to trade for Schaub, had an excellent draft, found solid free & undrafted free agents that can be summed up in two words-

Rick Smith

having such a keen eye for talent & potential is a gift, a passion & alot of hard work spending hours watching film, travel long hours etc.... then once you have your wish list, your guy (Schaub) to go out there & make it happen is the sign of a great GM. now I'd have to agree the Texans have a great young QB too :logo:

I"d say give Kubiak some kudos... It is on record that Kubiak had his eye on the guy,while in Denver and the story about when they played Golf together (Kubiak and Schaub) sealed the deal for Kubiak to tell Smith "get it done"

I"d say give Kubiak some kudos... It is on record that Kubiak had his eye on the guy,while in Denver and the story about when they played Golf together (Kubiak and Schaub) sealed the deal for Kubiak to tell Smith "get it done"

sure I'll give Kubiak kudos afterall he is the one who had to play the round :cool: the fact of the matter is that Rick Smith had set-up the entire scenero, had the hotel & plane ticket reservation in hand & told Gary he was going to California to play golf with a certain young QB named Matt Schaub. the rest is as they say history-

hmmmm...perhaps I should research the folks that called me a fool for saying a leader at QB can make your defense better, too. :whistle:

And only TWO sacks in two games?! How could our offensive line possibly improve with just changing a QB? Oh wait, I was a fool for saying Schaub would make our line better, too. Same offensive line, but something is different.... :um:

You and me both brother. Remember Herv's friend at his draft party who was still all goo goo eyes over Carr? Let's just say I LOL at the thought.

Beleive it or not, I have a co-worker (who I would label as moderately knowledgable, and is enough of a fan that he bought tickets to the KC game, and is also going to Denver) who still swears to me that all Carr needs is another chance, and he will be a great QB. Even the other people in my office, including the clueless types look at him like he has 5 eyes and a horn coming out of his forehead when he says that.:thud:

Porky you should keep in mind that 2002 obscured many of Carr's shortcomings for most people. When someone says "76 sacks" people roll their eyes and imagine a beating of epic proportions (and parts of 2002 were exactly like that).

Carr got more time because the Texans were so bad in the beginning. It made it difficult for people to see the holes in his game. If he'd gone to an established team these things would have been apparent from the beginning. I don't give people who still think Carr was damaged here a hard time. they have good reason to believe that. I think they're wrong but they can make a good case. If Carr somehow manages to overcome the problems in his game that cost him the job here then maybe those people had a point. I don't see it happening though.

Yeah well, there was a HELL OF A LOT of those who complained about that. And I'll bet there are still a couple of those draft fanatics that still feel that way.

They need to man up and start scarfing down that crow pie.
I manned up a long time ago on the trade and am happier than a tornado in a trailer park to be eating crow every sunday!!! I even started a thread admitting it!!!!

Two 2nd Rd draft choices are small potatos for what Schaub is showing the Fans and his team mates. He's got the intangibles that a lot of QB's in the NFL don't have. That's crucial when you've got the whole defense wanting to go back out there and play for you.

Carr got more time because the Texans were so bad in the beginning. It made it difficult for people to see the holes in his game. If he'd gone to an established team these things would have been apparent from the beginning. I don't give people who still think Carr was damaged here a hard time. they have good reason to believe that. I think they're wrong but they can make a good case. If Carr somehow manages to overcome the problems in his game that cost him the job here then maybe those people had a point. I don't see it happening though.

Carr needs a lot of coaching, and he's going to have to change his mentality towards the game. I don't think he'll get the coaching he needs in Carolina. After Sunday's game, I think the Panther fans see what a QB change did for us.

I liked that promo that Schaub did with one of the TV stations he was going around and introducing himself. He seems down to earth.

Back