Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Saints New Deal With Bush

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
http://nor.scout.com/a.z?s=125&p=2&c=777697

Interesting read about Reggie Bushs’ new contract.

One negative paragraph that caught my eye.

“But after that, all bets are off. The team has set themselves up to be able to release him before the 2010 season if he hasn't realized his potential. With just $7 million in prorated bonus money remaining on the contract, the team could release him and not only cover the loss, but come out ahead. “

He can now hit an even bigger jackpot..:money:..or not.

It will be interesting to see how VYs next contract is structured.

:coffee:

Looks to me like a smart move by the Saints. Convert a bunch of the bonus money he was going to get and accelerated it forward to make it an easier contract to cut in as little as what 2 years?

Reggie should be forwarding that money to Deuce to stay around and tote the rock.

Looks to me like a smart move by the Saints. Convert a bunch of the bonus money he was going to get and accelerated it forward to make it an easier contract to cut in as little as what 2 years?

Reggie should be forwarding that money to Deuce to stay around and tote the rock.

. But he also had $20 million dollars of "Not Likely to Be Earned" bonuses at a rate of $5 million per year that didn't count against the Saints' cap unless he reached those incentives.

That's $20 million, he was most likely never going to get. They turned that into $4 million signing bonus to renegotiate his contract. He recieved that, when he signed the new deal. If he makes it on their roster(and they explained how it will be too expensive to cut him) he'll get another $4.5 million.

Plus his salary goes up. They pretty muche made him a new deal, that will pay him more money in the near future. Money he most likely would not have earned.

Maybe they are thinking it will help him change gears, or work a little harder or something.

I don't think they were trying to make it easier to cut him, it would have been easier to cut him on his old contract.

It looks like they believe in his talent, and want him to be his best.

It looks like they believe in his talent, and want him to be his best.

But honestly, what is his talent ?
I would say in his rookie year, he was no better than the 4th most valuable player among just the skilled offensive players on the Saints team. And his soph year was disappointing to say the least and established one thing that was not a positive - Bush is not a primary running back in this league.
I think his single biggest value to his team is his celebrity, which sells tickets & jerseys to Saints fans. And that's definitely worth something.

He's a great athlete, good 3rd down back, great return man for special teams, and still right now has some hype to draw some people watch the excitement.

With that said, I'd bet Steve Slaton performs just like we want him to so there is no reason to go after Bush. Slaton won't demand near as much money and he's just as good (Bush is marginally better).

I'm actually more interested in Stecker as a possibility here, I think he's a FA next year (assuming Green is injured/gone, and Chris Brown keeps tweaking something).

Why would that be a good thing? That guy is going to go down as the biggest bust in NFL history, even if he stays healthy.

Fixed it for you. Friends of mine in New Orleans are already preparing the "Reggie is injured" excuses. With his build, he is one knee injury away from running car dealerships for a living.

He'll end up back in LA with his honey Kim...he can make more money OUT of football by hanging there with her.

But honestly, what is his talent ?
I would say in his rookie year, he was no better than the 4th most valuable player among just the skilled offensive players on the Saints team. And his soph year was disappointing to say the least and established one thing that was not a positive - Bush is not a primary running back in this league.
I think his single biggest value to his team is his celebrity, which sells tickets & jerseys to Saints fans. And that's definitely worth something.

True that..... I never saw him as a top 5 pick in the draft.

But with the money they are paying him, they obviously believe he can be a tremendous playmaker in this league. I don't believe this contract makes it any easier to cut him, not even in 2010. Either way, it's going to cost the Saints a lot of money, real & dead money to get rid of him after 2010. They will most likely cut him after the 2010 season, because his salary gets crazy in 2011, but he's just as likely to renegotiate.

If the Saints were to cut him today, they would take a hit that would include the remainder of his original Bonus. He's been in the league for 2 years, the contract was for 6, we're talking about 4 years. If his bonus was $18 million, that would be a $12million hit.

After the 2010 season, that would leave $3 million.

His salary is going to be $8 million, so it would be cheaper to dump him.

With his new contract, they took some of the "money" he was most likely not going to earn anyway. Not just because he's a "bust waiting to happen", but because they are way out there. Not Likely to be Earned.

If he doesn't earn that money, it doesn't go against the cap. He never sees it.

Anyway, they took that money, and made it much easier for him to earn it. All he has to do, is stay on the roster. He got a $4 million bonus, which adds $4 million to the hit they would take, if they were to cut him this year.

If they cut him after this season, they would take the same $12 million hit they didn't want to take this year.

If he makes the 2009 roster, he gets another $4.5 million bonus. adding $1.5 million/year to his cap hit.

To cut him after the 2009 season, it's going to cost them something like $8 to $10 million against the cap. Still, the Saints are not in a good position to cut him.

Under his old contract(if his bonus was $18 million) they could cut him after this season, and only take a $6million hit or something like that.

I know my numbers are off, but I think the general idea is correct. He's easier to cut(and cheaper too) under his original contract. They only thing they did, was make it easier for him to get some of that money.

Why??

What have they seen, that makes them think it's a good idea, to put more money in his hands??

Or if he ends up being moved to RB. He could be a starter at RB for a few teams.

He'll never make a running back in this league.

The only reason he makes big gains, is because no one accounts for the QB to leave the pocket.

As a running back, he'll have 8 to 9 defensive players watching his every move on every play.

He'll never make a running back in this league.

The only reason he makes big gains, is because no one accounts for the QB to leave the pocket.

As a running back, he'll have 8 to 9 defensive players watching his every move on every play.

That's sad. How many spots can a guy be a bust at before he is laughed out of the league.

I know my numbers are off, but I think the general idea is correct. He's easier to cut(and cheaper too) under his original contract. They only thing they did, was make it easier for him to get some of that money.

Why??

What have they seen, that makes them think it's a good idea, to put more money in his hands??

Hats off to you Thunderkyss ! You obviously spent some time and did some serious analysis while crunching these numbers. But you seem to also be puzzled why the Saints would up the ante in their financial commitment/investment in Bush ?
I really enjoy watching Bush play, he's fun. But I'm just dumbfounded why they'd go further out on the limb for him, and especially now on the heels of a second season which basically regressed from his rookie year, when I don't think there's any urgency whatsoever to complete a new agreement. Why not see what this year produces ?

Back