Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sad News: Blazing Arrow has passed away!!

Xanex can be some bad stuff and many doctors refuse to prescribe it for good reason. It artificially suppresses the nervous system. Taking it here and there is OK, however a person really needs to cognitively learn how to control their anxious thoughts without having to rely on chemicals do to the work.

The problem with benzos such as Xanex, Clonopin, etc is if you get into the habit of taking them everyday even for a couple of weeks they can be real tough to come off of. The reason is the nervous system gets real erratic/overstimulated after being artificially suppressed for so long. This causes intense anxiety and even odd physical sensations. The person feels worse than they did when they took the first pill. Once someone starts feeling all of that guess how they immediately remedy it? Yep, popping another one. My mom has been hooked to Xanex for years. A few years ago she had a medical procedure done and they would not let her have her Xanex. She was literally freaking out and not sleeping until she could start taking it again.

Bill, I used to have panic attacks on planes. Normally they would not stop until the plane landed. A few years ago I had one taking off from Madrid heading back to the States. It lasted 9 hours which was hell. That event kicked off a severe anxiety disorder for me that lasted until I finally learned how to overcome it.

So are you afraid to fly? I discovered that I wasn't really afraid to fly (like worrying too much about crashing, etc). My initial anxiety attacks on planes were being fueled by "what if" thoughts like thinking about if I had a serious medical issue that I would be stuck in the air and could not be helped, etc. Then I started having panic attacks because I was thinking or worrying about having a panic attack. Once the thought entered my mind they would start. For years I wouldn't go places because I refused to fly because of all of that.

Once I learned how to deal with anxiety I could fly anxiety free. Now I want to travel places.

I don't know that I'm physically afraid to fly per se. Like you I tend to run through "what if scenarios". This starts the second I arrive at the airport. There's times where I feel the anxiety rising while driving to the airport. Fortunately I don't experience it the whole flight like you used to. Generally for me it's take off and landings. Once at altitude I smooth out a bit..

As far as Xanax go, my doctor knows that I have an addictive personality. Heck, I know that about myself so I'm kinda glad he won't prescribe it. I also know a couple of people that have "issues" with Xanax. I once was addicted to Afrin.. Yes, Afrin the nasal spray.

I want to address some more issues here

1) Big Toro: Get to a doctor. Stubborness is not an option. What may have happened is the virus didn't damage the heart but it may be out of rhythm, making the heart work harder and making it easier for other viruses and issues to get to you. Just walk in and make yourself better physically and mentally by getting an EKG and Echo test.

2) Flying. This is one of the easiet things to get over. Trust me. More flying (think more cowbell) is the answer. I flew maybe 5 times total in my first 35 years of life. I had my 5th flight do an aborted landing and it scared me to death. I was petrified and the times I did fly were horrible. I went through 5 years where I drove everywhere. When I met my wife, who works for an airline, she wanted to travel non-stop. The first few times was embarrassing. I literally almost was crying on her shoulder....she saus I cried. I read a book, "The Fearless Slyers Handbook" which Quantas puts out and just kept going. It really hits home. Turbulence is like bad roads..bumps inthe sky..it isn't bringing you down. Planes are incredibly advanced now. 610 and I-10 will kill you before a flight. Now I've flown probably 60-70 more trips and I fear nothing. It's fun. Plus it allowed me to go to Italy, Hawaii, Paris and all over the place. I don't take anything or even drink...dehydrates you alot. Believe me, you have to start living through this.

Yes TORO get yo azz to the doctor like I bitched at you Sunday about!!!

See Frog, the opposite is true for me. When I was younger and only flew once a year or so, I was fine. The attacks started when I started flying on weekly basis. For several months at a time, I had to fly to Jacksonville (which really sucked because as I mentioned my issues are typically takeoff and landings). SWA stops in New Orleans and sometimes in Orlando on the way to JAX...

There was a long period of time when I had to fly to Arlington VA. (via Baltimore) for a couple of projects there and finally, we had a vendor for a particular project here in town, but their plant was in New Jersey...

I want to go back to Hawaii sometime early next year, and I'm already stressing about the flight and dealing with the anxiety.

No wonder I used to drink so much! :gun:

FML!

Sorry, but I will just never understand the "fear of flying" thing. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone would be scared to fly when planes hardly ever crash if they're not hijacked or something, but yet folks will jump into vehicles on the freeway while drunk drivers are everywhere killing people, police chases are taking place all the time, people are just randomly driving wreckless, rainstorms, hailstorms, and there are fatal accidents on our freeways in every city every single day.

Flying has nothing on riding in a car in America. The dangers aren't even close. I feel a thousand times more safe on a plane than I do a car.

Sorry, but I will just never understand the "fear of flying" thing. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone would be scared to fly when planes hardly ever crash if they're not hijacked or something, but yet folks will jump into vehicles on the freeway while drunk drivers are everywhere killing people, police chases are taking place all the time, people are just randomly driving wreckless, rainstorms, hailstorms, and there are fatal accidents on our freeways in every city every single day.

Flying has nothing on riding in a car in America. The dangers aren't even close. I feel a thousand times more safe on a plane than I do a car.

Apparently, you didn't read the posts closely. Fear and anxiety are not mutually exclusive. Yes, WE ALL know that statistically flying is safer than driving.. So what?

I've flown to Europe and back, several times. I've flown to Hawaii a couple/few times. I've traveled on business, extensively. The anxiety is brought on by other factors than just straight fear. As I mentioned to Kevin, once my plane is at altitude I generally settle down.

In a related note, there are a few overpasses/ramps on the freeway that cause me anxiety. Generally speaking, some of the really high ramps with the Beltway... FML!!! It's not a fear of heights, either. I've jumped 8 times from a perfectly good airplane. It's the "what if" scenarios. When I see those marks on the wall in one of those ramps and how high they get, I wonder "what if" I blow a tire and lose control. Am I gonna slam that wall? Am I gonna go that high on the wall? Am I gonna go over the wall???

I'm not sure what caused BA's heart attack, but anxiety surely doesn't help.

Apparently, you didn't read the posts closely. Fear and anxiety are not mutually exclusive.

I've flown to Europe and back, several times. I've flown to Hawaii a couple/few times. I've traveled on business, extensively. The anxiety is brought on by other factors than just straight fear. As I mentioned to Kevin, once my plane is at altitude I generally settle down.

In a related note, there are a few overpasses/ramps on the freeway that cause me anxiety. Generally speaking, some of the really high ramps with the Beltway... FML!!! It's not a fear of heights, either. I've jumped 8 times from a perfectly good airplane. It's the "what if" scenarios. When I see those marks on the wall in one of those ramps and how high they get, I wonder "what if" I blow a tire and lose control. Am I gonna slam that wall? Am I gonna go that high on the wall? Am I gonna go over the wall???

I'm not sure what caused BA's heart attack, but anxiety surely doesn't help.

Those freeway ramps can be something serious, especially for those scared of heights. The Beltway at I-10W interchange always gets my relatives from small town Louisiana. In DFW, they have one interchange that starts at the top of a hill and it connects you to I-20. Then, I-20 has like a 200 foot drop, while curving around a hill, and with no guard rails on either side. I have no idea why they don't put guard rails, because it would be easy for a driver not paying attention, or if there is rain/iced over roads.

But I never understood the fear of flying either. I think people are just afraid that they aren't on the ground and there is nothing they can do if something goes wrong. Same reason why people are afraid of roller coasters. Anxiety is a big issue. I personally love driving on the freeway, but I know girls my age who try to avoid the freeway because it's too wide and there are too many cars. Is there such thing as freeway anxiety?

Those freeway ramps can be something serious, especially for those scared of heights. The Beltway at I-10W interchange always gets my relatives from small town Louisiana. In DFW, they have one interchange that starts at the top of a hill and it connects you to I-20. Then, I-20 has like a 200 foot drop, while curving around a hill, and with no guard rails on either side. I have no idea why they don't put guard rails, because it would be easy for a driver not paying attention, or if there is rain/iced over roads.

But I never understood the fear of flying either. I think people are just afraid that they aren't on the ground and there is nothing they can do if something goes wrong. Same reason why people are afraid of roller coasters. Anxiety is a big issue. I personally love driving on the freeway, but I know girls my age who try to avoid the freeway because it's too wide and there are too many cars. Is there such thing as freeway anxiety?

Dude, that was one of the interchanges I was referring to... I think some people forget it was one of those interchanges that collapsed (while under construction)... "What if?" That said, I will NOT take an alternative route just avoid said interchanges. I nut up and do it.

Again, fear and anxiety are not mutually exclusive.

Back