Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

If you have 3 so-so QB's then you really have none. Mallet is basically Shitzpatrick. Lateral move.

Team still does not have QB of the future on the roster.

Sports Science Tests Arkansas QB Mallet's Arm Strength

I know a lot of y'all wish this trade had taken place earlier, but I think it should be telling that OB wasn't willing to give up more than a 7th for him. This guy probably isn't the savior of the franchise. He does have a heck of an arm, though. All in all, I'm cool with the deal. OB has completely cleaned everything he's capable of cleaning up from last year (looking at you, Rick Smith).

It would've been a wreckless move had Belichick traded Mallett away and Garopollo been injured in the preseason.
Or if Garopollo turned out to be not so good...

I see this as BB getting something rather than nothing, plain and simple. And maybe he was doing OB and RAC a bit of a favor....nah...that's crazy talk...I mean did he really do McDonald a favor by letting him have Cassel so easily?

If you have 3 so-so QB's then you really have none. Mallet is basically Shitzpatrick. Lateral move.

I'm not sure I follow that logic... Why don't you think that improveming the depth at the QB position is important? Whether he is better than Fitzpatrick has little to do with the trade... If he will be better for the Texans than Keenum would be this year- that is the question. Do you think Keenum would play as well in 2014, in OB's system as Mallett in 2014?

Can't say that I'm fully understanding the timing of the move here.

The trade for Mallett made more sense a month ago, with pre-season left to go. Now we are still in a 3 QB situation (unless Savage is cut), with a much less clear position of where the future is headed (unless, as some have been saying, we're in full on rebuild mode, and the future franchise QB is still in college).

Pretty good price for Mallett though. Has the potential upside of not having played meaningful regular season snaps and turning out to do better under that situation than the mad pre-season games, and did cost us less than Savage.

The fact that all they had at QB was Fitscraptrick , Savage and Keenum to start camp told me that the future franchise QB is still in college.

I wouldn't call the teams situation a full on rebuild as they have solid talent at most positions and a handful of all pro types on the roster outside of that QB spot. This is a pretty solid team in search of a QB , not a full on rebuild.

A conditional 6th-7th round pick isn't much to spend on a one year rental of a big armed QB to see if he is the guy long term even if it does appear to be a day late and a dollar short .... if they were gonna do this they shoulda done it when camp opened.

I love the trade. Just a few months ago the asking price was about 3 rounds higher for Mallet. QB is an open sore on the Texans roster right now. 6th or 7th round is cool beans man. Fitz is horrible and past what prime he had, Savage is raw and needs time and coddling and Keenum was making the decision to release him really easy. I see it as a no brainer and a big win for the Texans. We have seen a whole lot worse deals here over the years. I mean alot worse. No matter how Mallet turns out it was a deal that had to be done. You take that chance.

I'm not sure I follow that logic... Why don't you think that improveming the depth at the QB position is important? Whether he is better than Fitzpatrick has little to do with the trade... If he will be better for the Texans than Keenum would be this year- that is the question. Do you think Keenum would play as well in 2014, in OB's system as Mallett in 2014?

What depth? They are all the same guy. Savage=Shitztastic=Mullett

I would say that whoever you trot out there would do just about the same as the other guy.

I thought Keenum looked just as bad as the other guys.

I have no issues with the trade. What was the pats asking for way before training camp? A second?

How can you make such a declaration when you don't really have a clue about 2 out of the 3? I'm not stoked about the Mallet trade, other than not having to worry about CK getting another start, but I'm not looking for a ledge, either.
I guess I'm just kinda meh about the whole season. I hope the Texans play well, but I'm not gonna bet on it.

I will say that not having seen a lot of Mallet, I hope he overtakes Fitz during the season. We know what he brings to the table...
:toropalm:

I bet they were counting on Keenum to play a lot better than he did in preseason. They mishandled the whole QB situation very early on and now panic mode has set in.

What depth? They are all the same guy. Savage=Shitztastic=Mullett

I would say that whoever you trot out there would do just about the same as the other guy.

I thought Keenum looked just as bad as the other guys.

Really? The guy has yet to even board a plane for Houston and already he's "Mullet"?

Personally, I thought he'd be dubbed "Malpractice" but I didn't think it would come until he was spotted standing on the sidelines incorrectly or something. :bigboss: ;)

The only reason someone can hate that trade is, if they were Keenum fans. CK basically proved this preseason, that he is not the answer. And there was a good possibility that Savage would become the #2 QB sometime during the season.

Now we lost basically nothing. A 7th rounder if he does not pan out, a 6th rounder if he does. And chances are we even get a compensatory pick if we don't resign him. Nothing to hate here.

Probably Mallett is not the answer. But he has prototypical size and one of the strongest arms in the league. Plus he had some time in the league learning from the best. So he is by default a better option than Keenum and like I said, we didn't really give up anything for him.

Again, I hate the timing - but there is no reason to hate the trade. Even if he sucks, it was a risk worth taking especially at that price.

Oh good lord. Why? What the hell has Mullet got over what we already have? He's not an improvement over the crap we already have at QB, and we're giving up a draft choice for him?

This is stupid. I totally disagree with this move. Especially this late.
Yeah, the timing does bother me quite a bit.
I think mallett is probably the best qb we have now.
:panic:
Ok, I have seen absolutely zero film on this guy. Anyone have a particular YouTube vid that stands out?
He's 1 for 4 during the regular season - that's THREE regular seasons. There ain't a lot of regular season film to be seen on Mallett.

Mallett played himself out of the "heir to Tom Brady" role with a string of lackluster preseasons. The Texans acquired a strong armed QB with severe accuracy issues. Not really an improvement over anything we had on the roster. Patriots drafted him in the 3rd round in 2011. In 2014, they let him go for a conditional 7th round pick. That's telling. Basically all the Texans did is swap out one fringe back-up QB for another one.
I fear the bolded is where we are.
Well, I just watched Mallet in the Pats preseason game against Philly and the kid can dang sure sling it a country mile (but so could that JaMarcus guy out of LSU...whatever happened to him?) and he can move some.

The Pats ran the ball flat down the Iggles throats.
Mallett went 7 for 11 for 92 yds and 1 TD; he played the entire 2nd half. In that same game Buttfumble ...errr Mark Sanchez went 11 for 12 fir 112 yds and 2 TDs. Does it bother else anyone that our new #2 QB was outplayed by Buttfumble ...err Sanchez??

Earlier someone posted a link to the Pats' msg board. Here's a typical post
I'm not sure why anyone is sweating this. Mallett could turn out to be the greatest QB in the history of mankind. To date, however, he's sucked, and he's not shown anything to make one think he can step in should Brady go down. Perhaps some people have forgotten that Mallet only got the backup job in the first place because the Patriots cut a better QB in Hoyer.
Our shiny, new QB Guru head coach sure can pick 'em. Whatever quality of QB play we see from the Texans this year is totally on O'Brien. They're all his hand-picked guys.

sorry about the long post but I had to weed through ten pages.
:D

How can you make such a declaration when you don't really have a clue about 2 out of the 3? I'm not stoked about the Mallet trade, other than not having to worry about CK getting another start, but I'm not looking for a ledge, either.
I guess I'm just kinda meh about the whole season. I hope the Texans play well, but I'm not gonna bet on it.

I will say that not having seen a lot of Mallet, I hope he overtakes Fitz during the season. We know what he brings to the table...
:toropalm:

Mallet is not very good dude. Fitz ... no comment. Savage has shown signs, but at this moment in time we don't have a good QB, I'm not trying to be overly scornful, but its just the truth. How about you try to convince me that one of these guys is going to give us a shot to win each Sunday?

I bet they were counting on Keenum to play a lot better than he did in preseason. They mishandled the whole QB situation very early on and now panic mode has set in.

this is the exact opposite. You don't overspend if you aren't sold and then you upgrade the talent when available, once again without overspending. It's not against logic to find your #2 this year and attack your need in the next QB class.

I hope the o-line is better than I think it is.

Because if Fitz gets injured in game 1, we have mallet
with less than 7 days in our system and savage with
0 regular season games under his belt.

If the injury bug bites, hello 2-14 my old friend..

Mullet didn't prove anything with the Patriots. Fitzpatrick hasn't proven anything with anybody. Neither had Keenum or Savage.

Wait a minute.......

Please tell me Mallet has a full head of hair.

He's got the Schaub look working.

453745844.jpg

And who sez McNair won't hire bad boyz..??
:vincepalm:

Worst nightmare is he gets signed by the cowboys, romo gets hurt, and Case somehow manages to win the game against us this year.

It would be VY's return part 2.

I would never hear the end of it from the Cowboy fans in my circle of
family and friends

Definitely and antacid moment..

Worst nightmare is he gets signed by the cowboys, romo gets hurt, and Case somehow manages to win the game against us this year.

It would be VY's return part 2.

I would never hear the end of it from the Cowboy fans in my circle of
family and friends

Definitely and antacid moment..

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Mallett played himself out of the "heir to Tom Brady" role with a string of lackluster preseasons. The Texans acquired a strong armed QB with severe accuracy issues. Not really an improvement over anything we had on the roster. Patriots drafted him in the 3rd round in 2011. In 2014, they let him go for a conditional 7th round pick. That's telling. Basically all the Texans did is swap out one fringe back-up QB for another one.

It tells nothing and its classic decision theory in business. Tom Brady likely isnt retiring for at least another 2-3 years and Mallett was also equally likely to leave via FA after this year. That put the Pats in a quandry. They were either:

Going to get no ROI at all for Mallett if he did choose to leave or was offered some ridiculous contract in FA..

going to have to overpay Mallet to keep him so that they could get their ROI for when Brady does retire...

Or get started NOW on developing another heir to Brady so he can be ready in a few years when TB does retire.

Their decision was clear when they selected Garapolo in the draft. Everyone knew what they were going to do with Mallett once that happened..Thats why noone gave them their initial asking price for him. It's not the best possible return they could've gotten but at least with this decision they get something. As for us, its a great move regardless of how Mallet turns out. Essentially we got a 1st round talent for peanuts. We also arent on the hook for anything that's gonna hamper us in the future. Cant see how anyone can be upset with this move......outside of the fact that Keenum is no longer on the roster that is.

It tells nothing and its classic decision theory in business. Tom Brady likely isnt retiring for at least another 2-3 years and Mallett was also equally likely to leave via FA after this year. That put the Pats in a quandry. They were either:

Going to get no ROI at all for Mallett if he did choose to leave or was offered some ridiculous contract in FA..

going to have to overpay Mallet to keep him so that they could get their ROI for when Brady does retire...

Or get started NOW on developing another heir to Brady so he can be ready in a few years when TB does retire.

Their decision was clear when they selected Garapolo in the draft. Everyone knew what they were going to do with Mallett once that happened..Thats why noone gave them their initial asking price for him.
No one is arguing that the trade isn't advantageous if you're the Patriots; this is very much a win for them. Whether it's a win for us remains to be seen.

Well, I just watched Mallet in the Pats preseason game against Philly and the kid can dang sure sling it a country mile (but so could that JaMarcus guy out of LSU...whatever happened to him?) and he can move some.

The Pats ran the ball flat down the Iggles throats.

Uhhhh, you seem to be avoiding a certain topic involving a certain golf bag, a fire and some video footage...Just an oversight, I'm sure. :chili::stirpot::firehair:

No one is arguing that the trade isn't advantageous if you're the Patriots; this is very much a win for them. Whether it's a win for us remains to be seen.

Its honestly more advantageous for us than the Pats as the benefits for both teams are based on potential.

this is the exact opposite. You don't overspend if you aren't sold and then you upgrade the talent when available, once again without overspending. It's not against logic to find your #2 this year and attack your need in the next QB class.

Absolutely this.

So many teams bury themselves in QB quicksand, continually reaching for the wrong guy. How many busts behind center have the Bills, Dolphins, Browns, or Raiders treaded through, all the while tying up money and passing up more valuable prospects? I'm thrilled that we didn't become too smart and pass up a generational talent like Clowney in favor of making a panic-driven choice for a QB that we weren't convinced of.

Maybe the long term answer isn't Fitz, Savage, or Mallett, but in the mean time of acquiring them for very little we've managed to strengthen other positions. And I'm certain we don't have to cancel any parade plans in ditching Schaub, Keenum, or Yates. There are about five true franchise quarterbacks walking the planet right now, it's pointless to try and shove a square peg into a round hole there.

Ok, as a U of H Grad, I liked Case, but he just looked out of sync in our new offense. Obtaining Mallet for a 6-7 RD 2016 is totally worth a year look. Our 2 key offensive coaches already know what they're getting, so I have to think this is a great move for the low risk.

I hope Mallet just needs to game time and after 2-4 weeks, he gets a chance.

Absolutely this.

So many teams bury themselves in QB quicksand, continually reaching for the wrong guy. How many busts behind center have the Bills, Dolphins, Browns, or Raiders treaded through, all the while tying up money and passing up more valuable prospects? I'm thrilled that we didn't become too smart and pass up a generational talent like Clowney in favor of making a panic-driven choice for a QB that we weren't convinced of.

Maybe the long term answer isn't Fitz, Savage, or Mallett, but in the mean time of acquiring them for very little we've managed to strengthen other positions. And I'm certain we don't have to cancel any parade plans in ditching Schaub, Keenum, or Yates. There are about five true franchise quarterbacks walking the planet right now, it's pointless to try and shove a square peg into a round hole there.

Probably the most sensible thing I've read all day.

Uhhhh, you seem to be avoiding a certain topic involving a certain golf bag, a fire and some video footage...Just an oversight, I'm sure. :chili::stirpot::firehair:
It's the preseason...nothing counts in the preseason....duh!!!:kitten:

I was hoping no one would call me out on that....:slapfight:

The timing of the move is because it probably wouldn't have been a pretty good price for Mallett if the move had been forced a month ago.

So either we force the move into play a month or so ago and the value isn't there or we wait for the price to drop and we try and get the new guy up to speed as quickly as possible, while hoping Fitzpatrick doesn't dump the season into the flats towards an 0-4 start.

Yeah - that is true - it is all driven by the price. It was a 2nd/3rd being banded around at one point, so it is likely a "value" trade (which probably wouldn't make anyone optimistic about how OB views Mallett). If he was sure that a future franchise QB was sitting under Brady, he would have paid the elevated price a month ago to get him competing for the 2014 season.

It would've been a wreckless move had Belichick traded Mallett away and Garopollo been injured in the preseason.

Surely they are in the same situation now though, as they are only carrying 2 QBs? The only benefit they had is seeing Garopollo for an extra month, and knowing that he can backup - the injury situation remains the same though. A 2 QB roster is always going to be reckless in the sense that a 3rd QB in the case of an injury is going to be coming from another team/the street/the PS.

The fact that all they had at QB was Fitscraptrick , Savage and Keenum to start camp told me that the future franchise QB is still in college.

I wouldn't call the teams situation a full on rebuild as they have solid talent at most positions and a handful of all pro types on the roster outside of that QB spot. This is a pretty solid team in search of a QB , not a full on rebuild.

A conditional 6th-7th round pick isn't much to spend on a one year rental of a big armed QB to see if he is the guy long term even if it does appear to be a day late and a dollar short .... if they were gonna do this they shoulda done it when camp opened.

That is what I mostly feel. I like the value and everything. Just with our QB situation, it is a bit frustrating that Mallett didn't have a chance to compete with the others, and have a chance to make a push for QB#1.

My beef with Mallett is that he isn't mobile. I am really afraid
of what is going to happen in game #1 if our o-line get Fitz
carted off the field..

Absolutely this.

The bolded is all speculation at this point. Let's revisit this in a few years, once the dust has settled. OB and RS might've made the biggest draft blunder since Michael Jordan. We just don't know at this point in time who was the best draft choice at #1 overall in 2014.

Understandably, I have high hopes for Clowney.

Surely they are in the same situation now though, as they are only carrying 2 QBs? The only benefit they had is seeing Garopollo for an extra month, and knowing that he can backup - the injury situation remains the same though...

Not the same. In preseason you have 3rd/4th string guys protecting your backup while he takes a lot of reps so he can learn a.s.a.p. Look at the hit Savage took because DJ didn't pick up his man. Look at our protection vs. the 49ers. Injury risk is higher in pre vs. real.

Had Garopollo been injured in Thursday's game, Patriots would have been up a creek without a backup QB had they dumped Mallett a month ago. It was the proper GM move to wait.

My beef with Mallett is that he isn't mobile. I am really afraid
of what is going to happen in game #1 if our o-line get Fitz
carted off the field..
Have you seen Mallet play? The guy is plenty mobile. He's no Vick, but he's sure as hell no Schaub or Manning.

After last Thursday night, I'm actually slightly encouraged by Mallet. At least I have new talent to look at. CK is not an NFL QB, backup or otherwise.

The bolded is all speculation at this point. Let's revisit this in a few years, once the dust has settled. OB and RS might've made the biggest draft blunder since Michael Jordan. We just don't know at this point in time who was the best draft choice at #1 overall in 2014.

Understandably, I have high hopes for Clowney.

I completely agree that his production remains to be seen, but I don't think Clowney's talent level is speculative at all.

But the point was moreso that the top of the heap at the QB position is so thin that I'd rather the team be patient in finding that guy in lieu of reaching and letting other areas of the team atrophy in the process. They were clearly not sold on the top few QB prospects at the top of the draft and so went in a direction that they were more convinced would strengthen the ball club.

Time will tell how correct the particulars of that decision were, but I agree 100% with the philosophy.

I hope the o-line is better than I think it is.

Because if Fitz gets injured in game 1, we have mallet
with less than 7 days in our system
and savage with
0 regular season games under his belt.

If the injury bug bites, hello 2-14 my old friend..

Erm... didn't O'Brien serve as the OC for the Pats when Mallett was with them? If so, he's got more than 7 days of familiarity with the offense.

CK is not an NFL QB, backup or otherwise.

I disagree with that one. I have a suspicion he ends up a quality backup somewhere.

It will be interesting to see which (if any teams) are interested in him. It will go a long way to show how good of a talent evaluator BoB is if a legit contending team picks Keenum up.

I think BoB is the type of coach that wants "his guy". And that is a tall pocket passer. Given that teams like seattle, sf, and such are doing so well now -- I'm not so sure the tall pocket statue is going to get it done over the next decade or so..

But we can agree to disagree

Erm... didn't O'Brien serve as the OC for the Pats when Mallett was with them? If so, he's got more than 7 days of familiarity with the offense.
on top of that the basic concepts of this system are all Mallett knows at the nfl level. He's been in this offense longer than all the other QB's combined.

Thinking this will be the longest thread for a trade for a 7th(conditional 6 th) in the history of TT

I doubt that the lingo is going to be identical to what the pats use.
And even If that were the case, it takes tons of reps to develop
chemistry and timing.

Mallett had 3 years in the pats system and looked well behind the
guy the pats just brought in IMO

If Mallett Is starting in the first 6 weeks then it probably means
Fitz is on the IR

Thinking this will be the longest thread for a trade for a 7th(conditional 6 th) in the history of TT

Probably, but I don't think we have ever traded a 6th or 7th rounder for what could possibly be our starting QB either.

Have you seen Mallet play? The guy is plenty mobile. He's no Vick, but he's sure as hell no Schaub or Manning.

After last Thursday night, I'm actually slightly encouraged by Mallet. At least I have new talent to look at. CK is not an NFL QB, backup or otherwise.

I'm excited as anyone about mallet's future here, but mobility is his #1 weakness. I think he ran the 40 in 5.2 or 5.3

Back