Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Running Game - Mock Draft

cland

Waterboy
I've been thinking about alternative ways to approach the draft (as opposed to upgrading our defense with DT, CB, S as our top needs,) and I've considered us going all-in on the running game. One of the Texans flaws last year, was the inability to close out games, hence so many last-second game-deciding FGs (that I'm getting too old to enjoy.)

If we're able to trade up into the last part of the first-round to get C JPJ (whose played dominantly in the zone offense at times.) Follow that up with the best zone-guard with our #2 second round pick, and then (this pains me to say it) a speedy running back in the 3rd.

Here's an (inaccurate as always) simulated mock draft: https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2024/user-mock-2687965

*Traded up for #28 with the Bills for the Texans #42 and a 2025 3rd. (it worked out, but I suppose we'll have to add some additional late round picks IRL.)

#28 - C Jackson Powers-Johnson
#59 - OG Christian Haynes (best zone-blocker)
#86 - RB Jaylen Wright (the Lightning part, of Thunder and Lightning.)
#123 - OT Christian Jones (cause he was there)
#127 - TE Tip Reiman (over-draft but wanted a a true road grader)

Adv: This adds a blue-chip piece, late in the draft, to our offensive line with a dominant C, and ensures healthy competition at G. Nothing provides better pass protection than a strong running game, and both JPJ and Haynes have been touted as having a nasty streak. Yes this overloads the offensive line... But it's better to be overloaded with the depth, than disabled by injury. Slowik's max protection schemes from early last year will no longer be needed, and it will sell CJ's PA routes more convincingly. This is an offense that can score points, put games away, and is playoff ready.

Disadv: The method here is that the Texan's played 4-2-5 (nickel) as much as anyone last year and has added in two ready-made pass-rushers, giving us 3 in total. Creating a high-point offense should force teams into a passing offense sooner rather than later. Sorry to the defense and Demeco, but you can have all the post-draft FA money. I've also discounted any improvement from prior drafts OL selections, and #123 should really be used on defense but I wasn't focusing on it. Hopefully Caserio can patch up the DL/secondary gaps, like he did with the OL last year. And yes, I've traded up to get a center, a good/great one, but still a center. And furthermore I've use a higher round pick on a RB, both of which are completely against my typical draft theory: as I've used high picks at low positional value.

Last edited:
So you're basically saying that NC and DR are abject failures and that trading for Joe Mixon and signing him to an extension was a colossal waste of time and money? What are you going to do with the resources currently invested in the OL? How are you going to fit all this under the cap when you have $100M dead money?

Texans definitely need another back to compliment Mixon in case Pierce doesn't work out.
I think they target one with one of the fourth round picks.
I see 6 guys that have been associated with the Texans around that approximate area.
It may come down to who is available at their pick they like the most.
I hope it's Isaac Guerendo as he has the broadest skill set out of those guys.

So you're basically saying that NC and DR are abject failures and that trading for Joe Mixon and signing him to an extension was a colossal waste of time and money? What are you going to do with the resources currently invested in the OL? How are you going to fit all this under the cap when you have $100M dead money?

Nope, I like Mixon and he's particularly good at short-yardage, adding in a 3rd round running back (who can also catch) into the rotation doesn't seem all that radical. Umm, $100M in dead money because I chose a late-round center, 2nd round guard, and 4th round tackle (who is certainly optional as noted) on cheap rookie deals? Don't see where you're at here. At the end of the day, you're increasing competition and the winner stays once the contracts up.

Nope, I like Mixon and he's particularly good at short-yardage, adding in a 3rd round running back (who can also catch) into the rotation doesn't seem all that radical. Umm, $100M in dead money because I chose a late-round center, 2nd round guard, and 4th round tackle (who is certainly optional as noted) on cheap rookie deals? Don't see where you're at here. At the end of the day, you're increasing competition and the winner stays once the contracts up.
Did you already forget what you said?

*Traded up for #28 with the Bills for the Texans #42 and a 2025 3rd. (it worked out, but I suppose we'll have to add some additional late round picks IRL.)
You have to account for the roster spaces taken up also... which means you will have to cut some healthy contracts

I've been thinking about alternative ways to approach the draft (as opposed to upgrading our defense with DT, CB, S as our top needs,) and I've considered us going all-in on the running game. One of the Texans flaws last year, was the inability to close out games, hence so many last-second game-deciding FGs (that I'm getting too old to enjoy.)

If we're able to trade up into the last part of the first-round to get C JPJ (whose played dominantly in the zone offense at times.) Follow that up with the best zone-guard with our #2 second round pick, and then (this pains me to say it) a speedy running back in the 3rd.

Here's an (inaccurate as always) simulated mock draft: https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2024/user-mock-2687965

Adv: This adds a blue-chip piece, late in the draft, to our offensive line with a dominant C, and ensures healthy competition at G. Nothing provides better pass protection than a strong running game, and both JPJ and Haynes have been touted as having a nasty streak. Yes this overloads the offensive line... But it's better to be overloaded with the depth, than disabled by injury. Slowik's max protection schemes from early last year will no longer be needed, and it will sell CJ's PA routes more convincingly. This is an offense that can score points, put games away, and is playoff ready.

Disadv: The method here is that the Texan's played 4-2-5 (nickel) as much as anyone last year and has added in two ready-made pass-rushers, giving us 3 in total. Creating a high-point offense should force teams into a passing offense sooner rather than later. Sorry to the defense and Demeco, but you can have all the post-draft FA money. I've also discounted any improvement from prior drafts OL selections, and #123 should really be used on defense but I wasn't focusing on it. Hopefully Caserio can patch up the DL/secondary gaps, like he did with the OL last year. And yes, I've traded up to get a center, a good/great one, but still a center. And furthermore I've use a higher round pick on a RB, both of which are completely against my typical draft theory: as I've used high picks at low positional value.
No thanks. I'm happy with Scruggs and Patterson at OC and either will good at OG after some TC. If we want a OG, no reason to surrender draft picks as Beebe should be available at 59. What we need to support mixing will be available round 4 or later.

I hope it's Isaac Guerendo as he has the broadest skill set out of those guys.
He also has the least amount of experience. 273 touches over 6 years of college football. I know he ran fast. I also know that guys with his resume are UDFAs and rarely make it. Even Terrell Davis had over 400 touches in 4 years of college ball. I think Dameon Pierce's biggest issue is the lack of touches in college (374). No one magically becomes a good RB. It takes work.

No thanks. I'm happy with Scruggs and Patterson at OC and either will good at OG after some TC. If we want a OG, no reason to surrender draft picks as Beebe should be available at 59. What we need to support mixing will be available round 4 or later.

I just recall the Ravens manhandlng the Texans in the playoffs, adding a great center and big guard who are year 1 starters, instantly adds physicality to the OL.

Did you already forget what you said?

You have to account for the roster spaces taken up also... which means you will have to cut some healthy contracts

Yes, I suppose I did forget what I said. Where did you get that I wasn't relying on Mixon?

In terms of roster spaces, I've all but given up on Kenyon Green. So that fits in the G. And I have no problem losing the worst of the remaining roster after TC.

Last edited:
I think Dameon Pierce's biggest issue is the lack of touches in college (374). No one magically becomes a good RB. It takes work.

I think Pierce is classic example of a good gap scheme runner, running behind a zone line. He gets the ball and goes ahead with a full head of scheme. However he doesn't have that 'patience' in his running style to wait for the hole develop in the ZBS.

He also has the least amount of experience. 273 touches over 6 years of college football. I know he ran fast. I also know that guys with his resume are UDFAs and rarely make it. Even Terrell Davis had over 400 touches in 4 years of college ball. I think Dameon Pierce's biggest issue is the lack of touches in college (374). No one magically becomes a good RB. It takes work.
His transition from WR to RB yielded immediate results.
Sure, you need experience and work at a particular position, but he took to his new role like a duck to water.
You either have the talent, or you don't.

I would like something like this draft because I believe in giving Stroud whatever he needs to be as successful as he can possibly be. But I also want a couple of premium players on defense to help with the pass rush/run game.

I'm going to put out a mock just before the draft and it should look something like this.

Best LB
Best IDL pass rusher
Game breaking RB
OT
TE.
S
CB depth

Juice Scruggs who was drafted to be our future Center returned from injury and played left guard versus the Baltimore Ravens. I do not think the Texans have given up on him at center.
If they're pretty close playing C, the one who plays LG better may find himself playing the majority of his snaps there.

If they're pretty close playing C, the one who plays LG better may find himself playing the majority of his snaps there.
I have maintained and continue to think that Scruggs will be the offensive Center if healthy and Patterson will play left guard.

I have maintained and continue to think that Scruggs will be the offensive Center if healthy and Patterson will play left guard.
Hopefully one of the Greens will win that spot.
This will allow more options to explore the RT spot - if necessary.
I hate it that our line is still unsettled - it could be the one thing that sinks a promising season.

I hate it that our line is still unsettled - it could be the one thing that sinks a promising season.
Dont worry it's really early and with a modicum of health the OL will be fine. Hopefully they add an OT in the draft.

What makes you think this after Ryans praised the work Patterson did at center?

…..not to mention, Scruggs was considered the better overall athlete. Scruggs going into year two focusing on being a LG could make it pretty difficult for either Green to beat him out of being LG1. Patterson would also benefit in year two, knowing he’s going to be competing at Center.

My biggest question, will the Texans allow Mason and Howard to be beat out by better competition during Camp? I’m still waiting for the drape to be pulled off Broeker so we, the fans, can see why he was signed and hidden on the active roster. There has to be a reason for this.

…..not to mention, Scruggs was considered the better overall athlete. Scruggs going into year two focusing on being a LG could make it pretty difficult for either Green to beat him out of being LG1. Patterson would also benefit in year two, knowing he’s going to be competing at Center.

My biggest question, will the Texans allow Mason and Howard to be beat out by better competition during Camp? I’m still waiting for the drape to be pulled off Broeker so we, the fans, can see why he was signed and hidden on the active roster. There has to be a reason for this.
Mason is a really solid starting RG. No need to replace him.

Mason is a really solid starting RG. No need to replace him.

Tunsil has never looked good in the run game…..could this be due to poor LG play since his arrival?

LG has not looked good b/c of the horrendous C play.

C has been bad and I’m not certain it has anything to do with either of the Guards.

RG has not been at its best b/c of poor C and RT play.

RT has been awful and even helping with a TE just doesn’t seem to help.

If the OL personnel could truly stay healthy for a full season, we could probably come up with some real analytics based on playing time together.

I’d be really okay if the Texans could open camp and the season with the following starting OL:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scruggs
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

I’d still draft (2) OT’s b/c both Tunsil and Howard have dealt with their fair share of injuries….while being paid top dollar and the lack of any respectable OT’s on the depth chart.

Scruggs will play center. He was drafted to be our long term solution at center. He’s exactly that. I don’t care what kind of “praising” Ryans has done on -anyone-. Don’t ever believe a word teams say. Even after winning a supah bowl. It’s all about angling for maximum value so we’re not going to say Patterson is meh. I believe (hope) we will be trading away one of the offensive line guys. Let’s let Caserio cook.

I have no reason to see your hopefulness, but I understand.

Tunsil has never looked good in the run game…..could this be due to poor LG play since his arrival?

C has been bad and I’m not certain it has anything to do with either of the Guards.

If the OL personnel could truly stay healthy for a full season, we could probably come up with some real analytics based on playing time together.

I’d be really okay if the Texans could open camp and the season with the following starting OL:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scruggs
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

I’d still draft (2) OT’s b/c both Tunsil and Howard have dealt with their fair share of injuries….while being paid top dollar and the lack of any respectable OT’s on the depth chart.

Did you notice how the run game looked somewhat better with Patterson, Kendrick Green and Tunsil on the left side? That was with Pierce getting the majority of the carriers.

Scruggs will play center. He was drafted to be our long term solution at center. He’s exactly that. I don’t care what kind of “praising” Ryans has done on -anyone-. Don’t ever believe a word teams say. Even after winning a supah bowl. It’s all about angling for maximum value so we’re not going to say Patterson is meh. I believe (hope) we will be trading away one of the offensive line guys. Let’s let Caserio cook.
Thing is Patterson did play very well before getting hurt. I could see one of the IOL getting traded at the end of camp.

What makes you think this after Ryans praised the work Patterson did at center?
I have been and continue to be strong proponent of Patterson since 2 years before he was drafted. I think he would be an excellent Center. However, Scruggs may be okay at that position but he is definitely worse at offensive guard than Patterson. I also know that this management team traded up to get Scruggs. I don't see him as a guard. I would be good if Patterson was named starter at OC and a LG drafted who could start day 1.

scrubs did not look like much of a athlete at left guard last year. I do understand all the circumstances but based upon all the Applause he is getting, he should have not struggled quite so greatly in my opinion. As you say, hopefully both he and Patterson will be better this year. What better competition do you see Mason and Howard having?

I just don't understand how people throw away Scruggs and Patterson after one year and say that guy in college is better. Give them a chance, they both played reasonable for rookies thrown into the fire. Kendrick looked average for being new, and Kenyon, well have not been able to judge him because he has not been healthy and in shape so I don't expect much but this is getting to be his last chance with us. A pick at tackle depth is ok, but let's see what a coach and time together can do with the guys on the roster

I have been and continue to be strong proponent of Patterson since 2 years before he was drafted. I think he would be an excellent Center. However, Scruggs may be okay at that position but he is definitely worse at offensive guard than Patterson. I also know that this management team traded up to get Scruggs. I don't see him as a guard. I would be good if Patterson was named starter at OC and a LG drafted who could start day 1.
I dont know, I've never seen Patterson play LG in the NFL.

I just don't understand how people throw away Scruggs and Patterson after one year and say that guy in college is better. Give them a chance, they both played reasonable for rookies thrown into the fire. Kendrick looked average for being new, and Kenyon, well have not been able to judge him because he has not been healthy and in shape so I don't expect much but this is getting to be his last chance with us. A pick at tackle depth is ok, but let's see what a coach and time together can do with the guys on the roster
^^^^
This

Especially after seeing an injured Stingley get healthy and play well, you would think that fans would afford Kenyon the same opportunity.

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scruggs
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

I feel pretty assured that those are the players if not the positions that we will see on the offensive line barring injuries for most of the season.

I dont know, I've never seen Patterson play LG in the NFL.
And we had not seen CJ Stroud at quarterback in the NFL before he played there. Patterson was very good at left guard his fifth year as a senior and before that extremely good as an offensive center for Notre Dame.

And we had not seen CJ Stroud at quarterback in the NFL before he played there. Patterson was very good at left guard his fifth year as a senior and before that extremely good as an offensive center for Notre Dame.
You can say this about any player that hasn't played a down in the NFL. You're being disingeneous.

You can say this about any player that hasn't played a down in the NFL. You're being disingeneous.
you can say that about any player in the NFL is exactly my point. Just because we've not seen Patterson at left guard does not mean he cannot play that position. He was very good at left guard his last year in college.

Assuming full health and of course my opinion only…

Mason will start at RG. Scruggs at center. I believe they will give Kenyon every opportunity to snatch LG. Patterson and Kendrick Green will be the primary backups and give you good position versatility.

At tackle, it’s Tunsil and Howard. Heck at swing tackle, and another swing tackle from the mid or late in the draft…or a vet that gets cut. The wildcard here is Howard. The Texans know way more than anyone on this board. If they believe Howard won’t play the majority of the season or is severely compromised, we will know by the way they draft. My assumption above is based on Howard being available and ready daynone or early in the season.

scrubs did not look like much of a athlete at left guard last year. I do understand all the circumstances but based upon all the Applause he is getting, he should have not struggled quite so greatly in my opinion. As you say, hopefully both he and Patterson will be better this year. What better competition do you see Mason and Howard having?
I agree. Scruggs looked a bit out of place at guard.

Assuming full health and of course my opinion only…

Mason will start at RG. Scruggs at center. I believe they will give Kenyon every opportunity to snatch LG. Patterson and Kendrick Green will be the primary backups and give you good position versatility.

At tackle, it’s Tunsil and Howard. Heck at swing tackle, and another swing tackle from the mid or late in the draft…or a vet that gets cut. The wildcard here is Howard. The Texans know way more than anyone on this board. If they believe Howard won’t play the majority of the season or is severely compromised, we will know by the way they draft. My assumption above is based on Howard being available and ready daynone or early in the season.
Howard is the guy I'm hoping that Caserio will make magic happen with. Seeing him be a turnstile at LG really left a sour taste in my mouth. It was amazing how bad he was there... especially since he's a solid RT.

It probably won't happen though. His contact is too big. Then again... many of us said that about Watson's contract as well.

Howard is the guy I'm hoping that Caserio will make magic happen with. Seeing him be a turnstile at LG really left a sour taste in my mouth. It was amazing how bad he was there... especially since he's a solid RT.

It probably won't happen though. His contact is too big. Then again... many of us said that about Watson's contract as well.
Tytus howard at LG is like Stroud at WR.

I wonder if a team like Dallas or Baltimore would give up a round two for Titus Howard to be their right tackle? They could use their round one on other players. Of course if he was healthy enough to play for one of those teams, he should be healthy enough to play for Texans and then I would not see Nick trading.

I wonder if a team like Dallas or Baltimore would give up a round two for Titus Howard to be their right tackle? They could use their round one on other players. Of course if he was healthy enough to play for one of those teams, he should be healthy enough to play for Texans and then I would not see Nick trading.
Dang I turn my back and y'all already trying to trade players off of the offensive line without a substitute. :) I maintain that G and T are unique positions, and require different skill sets. Some OLmen can switch and some can't. If Howard is a good RT, and not a good LG, I have no problem with that.

Dang I turn my back and y'all already trying to trade players off of the offensive line without a substitute. :) I maintain that G and T are unique positions, and require different skill sets. Some OLmen can switch and some can't. If Howard is a good RT, and not a good LG, I have no problem with that.
He's not that good of a RT. Certainly not worth 18 mil per season.

I'm all about drafting his replacement before he gets hurt again.

Why do you feel this way? Scruggs should get better, as should Patterson and Kendrick Green was solid. Plus Kenyon Green is talented, there's a reason he was a first rd pick. He just needs to stay healthy. If healthy I will bet you he's the starting LG.
Kendrick was solid.. in 4 games.. I need a bit more than that from a veteran. I hope Both Greens play like probowlers and Patterson and Juice are so great they are tied for probowler and and all 4 refuse to go as they prepare for Super Bowl.
I hope all remain healthy.
I hope...

Kendrick was solid.. in 4 games.. I need a bit more than that from a veteran. I hope Both Greens play like probowlers and Patterson and Juice are so great they are tied for probowler and and all 4 refuse to go as they prepare for Super Bowl.
I hope all remain healthy.
I hope...
Odds are there will be 2 quality starters out of this group.

Odds are there will be 2 quality starters out of this group.
Kendrick, at Illinois and at Pittsburg, has only played LG and C. Kenyon, in 2019, played his freshman season at RG. One scenario would have Kenyon moving to RG, with Kendrick winning the starting role at LG. Or maybe Patterson at LG, where he played in 2022.

Kendrick, at Illinois and at Pittsburg, has only played LG and C. Kenyon, in 2019, played his freshman season at RG. One scenario would have Kenyon moving to RG, with Kendrick winning the starting role at LG. Or maybe Patterson at LG, where he played in 2022.
Mason will start at RG.

Mason will start at RG.
I don't disagree. But still, he had the worst year of his career last season. His Offense grade and his Run Blocking grade was off by 20 points. His Pass Blocking grade was off by 10 points. This season will be his 10th. He's been remarkably durable, but injury is always lurking. The N.E. Mason would have the position locked down. The 2023 Mason can be challenged.

I don't disagree. But still, he had the worst year of his career last season. His Offense grade and his Run Blocking grade was off by 20 points. His Pass Blocking grade was off by 10 points. This season will be his 10th. He's been remarkably durable, but injury is always lurking. The N.E. Mason would have the position locked down. The 2023 Mason can be challenged.
I am hoping that Mason's lack of production was due to the complete turmoil of the entire line all season.

Back