Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Roy Williams traded to Dallas

TO.jpg

Totally agreed. If Jerry gave up that much for an under achieving guy who is known for being soft and lacking a strong work ethic than he made one stupid deal. Roy will help them, but he is overrated at this point of his career. I don't think he is that much better than Crayton at the moment really. Plus Miles Austin has been making some plays for them as well.

No one ever said Williams didn't work hard. Are all of the other wRs they have underachieving since they play for the Lions and don't do anything...like Calvin Johnson. He has been banged up. They gave up a 1st, a 3rd and a 6th. they have multiple 3rds and are getting a pick back for PacMan. So their 1st will be late most likely. Overall they get a guy younger than their aging top guy now.

Not necessarily...

If the opposing team calls a play that calls for help with Mario (a double team or a chip block) that gives other D-linemen/blitzers a better chance at getting to the QB and it freezes those linemen/backs who had intentions on blocking Mario.....

You guys are funny.

You want Smith to call plays like he doesn't expect anything out of his other D-linemen? If that isn't a losers strategy I don't know what is...

Maybe he should just start letting Mario draw up plays in the dirt before the offense snaps the ball...I'm pretty sure some of you would actually like that.

Get off of it.......our team was 7 total sacks.......Mario has 6 sacks, if Mario isn't sacking the QB our team isn't sacking the QB. They could throw 3 guys at Mario (and they are at times) and we still aren't getting to the QB.

Pulling your only real pass rushing threat away from the line is completely retarded........it's just flat out stupid.

Last edited:
I think part of it is the age of TO too and this would be a replacement since he is a FA after this season.

I am with you on that point. Williams is a good candidate for replacement and him having local ties may bode well for Roy as a Cowboy. It's the team he grew up loving and his dream has come true.

One thing is for sure, Jerry OVERPAID for the guy. It's obvious that whoever replaced Millen knows how to make deals because that is a very Lions-friendly deal especially for a disgruntled player.

When you only have one legit pass rusher on your team........do you really want to pull him off the line on a blitz.........I don't think so, your just shooting yourself in the ass.

The intention of the zone blitz is deception. Assuming the O-line is keeping an eye on Mario and pushing additional coverage to his side to double him dropping him back can confuse the guy that is doubling and allow LBs to push through holes which might not be picked up by the FB or RB in to block.

I am not saying it is working or not working for the Texans I am just saying it is not that unlikely to see a DE in short coverage from time to time.

With Millen fired as GM, who made the trade? Ford?

This looks like a complete reversal from Millen's strategy of stockpiling WRs.

They are grabbing as many draft picks as they can, IMO, in order to go a drastically different course than has been navigated over the past several years.

Can you say "Closeout Sale"?

The Lions will be so much better next year, at least with someone other than Millen pulling the levers behind the scenes.

This is a bad move by the Cowboys, even if TO's days are numbered and they needed a go-to WR when he's gone.

The intention of the zone blitz is deception. Assuming the O-line is keeping an eye on Mario and pushing additional coverage to his side to double him dropping him back can confuse the guy that is doubling and allow LBs to push through holes which might not be picked up by the FB or RB in to block.

I am not saying it is working or not working for the Texans I am just saying it is not that unlikely to see a DE in short coverage from time to time.

That's true......but it doesn't work here. It's like asking Peyton to scramble on 3rd and 10. It's just turning a strength into a glaring weakness. Luckily I haven't seen it the past few games so hopefully Smith scrapped it.

Get off of it.......our team was 7 total sacks.......Mario has 6 sacks, if Mario isn't sacking the QB our team isn't sacking the QB. They could throw 3 guys at Mario (and they are at times) and we still aren't getting to the QB.

It's not uncommon for teams to have one or two dominant pass rushers that get most of the sacks....

Texans aren't a great pass rushing team....Doesn't mean Smith should stop calling plays that give other guys chances to make plays/cause pressure because he feels like he only has one shot in Mario...

Glad to see you like to take the losers way out though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways, I think it's a great deal for both teams. Cowboys gave up a good amount of picks, but they got a proven player (a player that will become elite on a winning team) and I'll take one proven pro bowl talent over 3 no names.

Lions needed the picks though.....they are in complete rebuild mode........or continued build mode, whatever you want to call it.

It's not uncommon for teams to have one or two dominant pass rushers that gets most of the sacks....

Texans aren't a great pass rushing team....Doesn't mean Smith should stop calling plays that give other guys chances to make plays/cause pressure because he feels like he only has one shot in Mario...

Glad to see you like to take the losers way out though...

I'm not taking the losers way out.......really don't even understand how the hell you can call that "the losers way out". It's stupid.

Mario is our pass rush, the stats prove it.....he's a beast IN THE BACKFIELD! Pulling him away from the line is calling for disaster...(the first time that play works, will be the first time)...out thinking yourself and making the game more complicated than it really is, is what leads to losing football. Tell Mario to kill QB....Mario likes to kill QBs...it's not really that hard.

Last edited:
With Williams being traded to the Cowboys that means that 3 of the 4 WR that the Lions have drafted in the first round are no longer with the team & 2 of them are no longer in the NFL. Calvin Johnson is the only one left and he's only in his second year with them. That's bad drafting.

Roy Williams was a good draft pick.......he just got tired of being on a crappy team. Which should make us very thankful Andre hasn't asked to be traded yet, because the Texans have been just as crappy.

I'm not taking the losers way out.......really don't even understand how the hell you can call that "the losers way out". It's stupid.

Mario is our pass rush, the stats prove it.....he's a beast IN THE BACKFIELD! Pulling him away from the line is calling for disaster...(the first time that play works, will be the first time)...out thinking yourself and making the game more complicated than it really is, is what leads to losing football. Tell Mario to kill QB....Mario likes to kill QBs...it's not really that hard.

I've seen Demarcus Ware drop back into coverage a few times. No reason why Mario can't, though I really don't recommend it. He's best killing the QB, like you said.

No one ever said Williams didn't work hard. Are all of the other wRs they have underachieving since they play for the Lions and don't do anything...like Calvin Johnson. He has been banged up. They gave up a 1st, a 3rd and a 6th. they have multiple 3rds and are getting a pick back for PacMan. So their 1st will be late most likely. Overall they get a guy younger than their aging top guy now.

Yes they have said that Roy Williams doesn't have the strongest work ethic. It has been that way since he was at Texas. He has just been so gifted talent wise that it was a lot easier for him in college against inferior defenses in the Big 12 South when he was playing.

He has had a reputation for being somewhat soft in Detroit and not working as hard as he could or giving full effort in games in Detroit. His lack of production over the years compared to what was expected of him has only been evidence of that. I'm not saying that he can't turn it around or anything in the right situation, but he has really only had one real good season, and he hasn't improved since that season and this has just been another disappointing season as well.

Jerry Jones gave up way to much to get Roy Williams. NO way would I have even given up a first rounder for Williams. At this point of his career, he is just living off of the hype that he had coming into the league. He hasn't been what people thought he would be. He is also known for being a very arrogant guy as well, and many of his team mates didn't even like him much at Texas.

I've seen Demarcus Ware drop back into coverage a few times. No reason why Mario can't, though I really don't recommend it. He's best killing the QB, like you said.

That's exactly the point Carr Bombed (and me on the previous page) were making. He's best killing the QB! In fact, he's the only one killing the QB.. If you want to drop a DE, drop Weaver. Surely he won't be any worse in coverage than he is at getting to the QB.

Roy Williams was a good draft pick.......he just got tired of being on a crappy team. Which should make us very thankful Andre hasn't asked to be traded yet, because the Texans have been just as crappy.

Yeah I agree... Williams was a good pick, but Mike Williams & Charles Rogers wasn't. Going 2/4 in drafting a top ten WR isn't good drafting.

And yes I am thankful we have AJ, he doesn't have the mouth of other WR's in the NFL with his kind of talent. (Moss, TO, Chad Johnson, to name a few)

That's exactly the point Carr Bombed (and me on the previous page) were making. He's best killing the QB! In fact, he's the only one killing the QB.. If you want to drop a DE, drop Weaver. Surely he won't be any worse in coverage than he is at getting to the QB.

Weaver plays weak side right? I think if you are going to drop a guy you want to drop the strong side DE so he is matched up on the #1 TE or typically that is how it is played.

So a thread about Roy Williams being traded to the Cowboys turns into Mario Williams and zone blitzing...

At least they have the same last name I guess....

Good point, though I'd definitely entertain a trade for AJ and expect the kind of deal the Lions got. And aren't AJ & Williams very comparable players ?
Both WRs, very talented playmakes with size & excellent speed & both still young and in their prime ?
Leads me to conclude the Cowboys did not overpay for Williams.

Good point, though I'd definitely entertain a trade for AJ and expect the kind of deal the Lions got. And aren't AJ & Williams very comparable players ?
Both WRs, very talented playmakes with size & excellent speed & both still young and in their prime ?

Andre > Roy

Weaver plays weak side right? I think if you are going to drop a guy you want to drop the strong side DE so he is matched up on the #1 TE or typically that is how it is played.

If that's how the play works that's fine however, there is no reason to think that Mario Williams can match-up with any TE whatsoever unless it's in a pass-blocking situation. If you're going to take Mario off of the line, you might as well just call a complete prevent play because nobody is going to make the QB feel anything but good about his O-line.

If you have to zone blitz, Weaver is the defender to put in a zone, not because he's good at it, but because Mario not eating up 3 blocks isn't going to free anybody to get to the QB.

And Demarcus Ware is an OLB in a 3-4 defensive scheme who has played in that scheme for at least 3 or 4 years. He's been asked to cover on numerous occasions and is not that terrible at it.

Mario Williams doesn't have the experience, nor do the Texans have the talent on the D-line, to worry about that.

Roy Williams is a good receiver but in no way is he worth 3 draft picks. Win now mode indeed.

Randy Moss only costs the Patriots, what, a 4th round pick? The Cowboys got Roy Williams for a 1st, 3rd, AND 6th? Damn.

The Cowboys have multiple picks next year and Jerry is always looking for FA's.

He could spare the picks and it's a player they've wanted for a few years. I heard his name tossed about even going back to last season.

He obviously was willing to roll those dice.

Randy Moss only costs the Patriots, what, a 4th round pick? The Cowboys got Roy Williams for a 1st, 3rd, AND 6th? Damn.

The only reason that the Patriots got Randy Moss for only a fourth round pick is because of his baggage. Nobody wanted to touch him with a ten foot pole after his behavior in Oakland. The pats took a chance and so far it has paid off.

Yes they have said that Roy Williams doesn't have the strongest work ethic. It has been that way since he was at Texas. He has just been so gifted talent wise that it was a lot easier for him in college against inferior defenses in the Big 12 South when he was playing.

He has had a reputation for being somewhat soft in Detroit and not working as hard as he could or giving full effort in games in Detroit. His lack of production over the years compared to what was expected of him has only been evidence of that. I'm not saying that he can't turn it around or anything in the right situation, but he has really only had one real good season, and he hasn't improved since that season and this has just been another disappointing season as well.

Jerry Jones gave up way to much to get Roy Williams. NO way would I have even given up a first rounder for Williams. At this point of his career, he is just living off of the hype that he had coming into the league. He hasn't been what people thought he would be. He is also known for being a very arrogant guy as well, and many of his team mates didn't even like him much at Texas.

Well that is news to me because even Pallilo and others interviewed yesterday said that there was never any problems with his working hard and playing hard. He was just frustrated and stuck on a horrible team. I'll put it this way, after hearing Palillo praise the move and the losers at 610 jump all over the trash the Cowboys movement I'll trust the guy who actually knows sports. If the rumors you are talking about are semi-true, I'll chalk it up to Detroit until I see it :)

Last edited:
Roy "no tippin" Williams will make a fine replacement for TO. I'm guessing this move was made for the anticipated TO meltdown....

Again I say, who are you gonna draft with a 1st, 3rd, and 6th to replace the best player your team has ever had. A top 5 WR doesnt fall off of trees.

Andre >>>>>>>>> Roy

Fixed it.

No way this deal happens if Millen was still in Detroit, he loves WR's too much. I'm gonna give some credit to who ever in Detroit made this trade, brilliant!

Dallas is stacked.

Williams probably makes a bigger impact than whoever they would have drafted in the 1st round anyway.

comparable players? not even close, Andre has made the Pro-Bowl even on a bad team. better speed, route runner & creates physical mis-matches too. a better comp would be Calvin Johnson he has legit skills, size speed, hands the total package that made Roy expendable.

having said that its a good move for both teams, Detroit has other needs & its positive to have more quality draft picks to address those needs, while Jerry reloades with a Longhorn going into that new Billiondollar stadium with TO on the backside of his career :specnatz:

If they resign the guy to a longterm deal, the deal starts to look a little better.

Jerry may be crazy but I can't think of an owner that tries harder to win football games. I think it was a bad deal at face value, but it benefits Jerry a lot moving forward.

1. Takes a little focus off the PacMan debacle.

2. Gives Garrett the guy opposite TO he has been crying for. No more excuses.

3. Roy Williams was largely reported in the media as coming in to replace an 'aging Owens'. TO may now be more motivated to show that he still has it and that he isn't 'aging' or 'old'.

4. Gives him 'Owens Meltdown Insurance'. TO is one or two more losses away from having a serious meltdown on the coaches and QB/OL. Due to the structure of the deal, the Cowboys could just 'Keyshawn Johnson' the guy if he keeps mouthing off. You just put him on Inactive and just let him rot if he does anything stupid.

5. Helps them win football games. Having Roy opposite Owens should help the passing game, but it could pay some huge dividends in the running game as well. Pretty much both safeties are going to to have to be playing over the top on both sides on most down and distances with little thought on supporting the run.

6. Owens could show Roy what a real work ethic is and some of the tricks of the trade. This could bode well for Williams' future. The guy is still fast, can still jump out of the gym, can make the tough catch, and has got to be hungry to win after being in Detroit for 5years.

Well that is news to me because even Pallilo and others interviewed yesterday said that there was never any problems with his working hard and playing hard. He was just frustrated and stuck on a horrible team. I'll put it this way, after hearing Palillo praise the move and the losers at 610 jump all over the trash the Cowboys movement I'll trust the guy who actually knows sports. If the rumors you are talking about are semi-true, I'll chalk it up to Detroit until I see it :)

Not saying it's correct, just saying it's out there

From the Article:
Disgruntled in Detroit, Williams had his commitment and work ethic questioned. But coming to Dallas, where he has long hoped to land someday, might bring out a different player. He will try to turn around a slow start that includes just 17 catches for 232 yards and one touchdown.

Link

Kitna and that soft Detroit offensive line isn't exactly like playing with Peyton Manning. Williams numbers should improve with a better team.

Back