Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Round 3 Comments

Didn't take the Giants long to run up their pick of Tuck did it?

Morency, isn't he the same type of back that Hollings is suppose to be.

I was hoping for Tuck myself after seeing Alex Smith go off the board. Does this mean we have no faith in Hollings (In other words saying we wasted a 2nd round pick)?

Smaller than Davis, slower (as far as 40 time) than Davis

I guess they wanted another similar RB to split the carries some but I was expecting something different....

I like it even though Blackstock was available. I've always liked Morency and he had a good year for OSU. Was one of the top backs in the nation I don't know why he fell.

Morency. Sweet! I thought he would go in the 2nd round. This is excellent value! He was one of the guys that was on my short list. He has 4.45 speed guys. He can take it to the house at any given point. Do not compare him to DD. He has alot more burst and great open field speed. This guy is our feature back by 2006, and will see the field a bunch this year as well. Very happy camper. :thumbup

Nawzer said:
I like it even though Blackstock was available. I've always liked Morency and he had a good year for OSU. Was one of the top backs in the nation I don't know why he fell.

He fell because he ran a 4.66 40...

But dont you think we have some needs we could have filled at that spot with another decent player (Tuck)? This just says to me we wasted a 2nd round pick on Hollings.

Porky said:
Morency. Sweet! I thought he would go in the 2nd round. This is excellent value! He was one of the guys that was on my short list. He has 4.45 speed guys. He can take it to the house at any given point. Do not compare him to DD. He has alot more burst and great open field speed. This guy is our feature back by 2006, and will see the field a bunch this year as well. Very happy camper. :thumbup

He has a lot more burst than DD? When I see burst I assume you mean acceleration and DD has unbelievable acceleration into the line when he first gets the ball.

D-ReK said:
He fell because he ran a 4.66 40...
He had hamstring issues. He is a pretty explosive runner.

AGILITY

CAMPUS: 4.67 in the 40-yard dash.
COMBINE: Player did not participate in the 40-yard dash or 60-yard shuttle agility tests at the Combines (own choice), claiming to be suffering from a left hamstring pull … 4.12 20-yard shuttle … 7.02 three-cone drill … 33½-inch vertical jump … 9-foot broad jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 19 times … 31¾-inch arm length … 8 7/8-inch hands.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/morency_vernand

V Man said:

Thanks. He is a 3rd round pick so i don't need to be too critical of the team. He is 25 now and a "raw" talent. So he should be ready to start when he is say 27 maybe 28. On average, we would get 4 productive years from him. Maybe that Tuck guy the Giants blazed to the podium to get would have been a better choice?

Nawzer said:
Was one of the top backs in the nation I don't know why he fell.

Negatives: Needs to learn to secure the ball better, as he leaves it exposed enough to cough it up … Carries the ball with the wrong hand at times when breaking toward the perimeter … While he can reach and pluck for the pass, he prefers to cradle catch the ball … Not used much in the passing game, outside of swing routes, as he does not have the natural, easy hands to guide the ball in … Has a good feel when running inside, but does not show the speed to consistently reach the outside or the second gear to maintain top speed when he gets into the open … Age could be somewhat of an issue (25) … While he has good lateral quickness, he is really not a nifty avoid-type of runner … Character and background need further review.

Whoa, we took a 25 year old undersized, raw RB who ran a 4.66 at his pro day...Doesn't sound too promising to me, but in Casserly I trust...

Porky said:
Do not compare him to DD.

Heh...true, no comparison. He's slower than DD and according to the profile he's not as good of a receiver out of the backfield. Does apparently have a problem securing the football, says the profile, so at least they have THAT in common. :heh:

Seriously, I actually like the pick. This means Hollings is done by the end of camp, finally, and between the two of these guys Houston can piece together a starting RB for a whole season. And he sounds like a strong guy despite his size. Curious to know how his possible lack of receiving ability will affect Carr--maybe he'll look downfield more often!

Hey guys! How about taking all our picks from the 2nd day and use them all to trade back up into the 3rd round. I don't think we will be able to find anyone in the 4th or later rounds who can make our team even as a backup. But with guys like Brown, Hawthorne, and Blackstock that can definitley become backups and even push for the starting job, its a no-brainer to me.

TexanExile said:
This means Hollings is done by the end of camp, finally, and between the two of these guys Houston can piece together a starting RB for a whole season.
Hollings isn't done by any strech.

Morency is a good player. Problem is, he's about as good as he's going to get. Very limited upside with him.

Back