Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Round 3 Commentary Thread

forget everything about the zone blocking scheme...this guy's reason for being in houston now is to stand up to marcus stroud and john henderson and be david carr's personal body guard...i'd really like to see these future battles between those men

keyfro said:
forget everything about the zone blocking scheme...this guy's reason for being in houston now is to stand up to marcus stroud and john henderson and be david carr's personal body guard...i'd really like to see these future battles between those men

My first inclination is that Spencer will actually be developed into a RT...He seems to have the traits needed to be a good RT in a zone scheme...I wouldn't be surprised if our starting OL on opening day was Winston - Pitts - Flanagan - McKinney - Spencer...

That being said, I have been wrong before and rookies usually don't start at OT, but what would this do to McKinney?

I am very glad to see the OLine addressed. So far I am pretty happy.

I am thinking from here on out a DB would be good and/or BPA. What do ya'll think?

Vinny said:
its official..the worm has turned for anyone with a lick of sense...we can complain about bush and vince all we want...but this is a good draft. Winston, Pitts, Flannagan, McKinney, Spencer will be our line. We have a legit pass rusher, and finally drafted a conventional linebacker. I am ok with that and I think I like it.

Agreed. I think they just saved our draft with these two picks. Forgot who mentioned it, but early on beerlover and others mentioned Spencer. We stoped talking him up because we felt he was too lagre to be a "zone blocking" gaurd. You have a higher opinion of Mc than I do. Never dreamed Manning & Spitz would be off the board this soon. Mind boggeling. Ko Simpson is still their. Have no problem taking him in thd fourth. He has value now. There were two that failed the drug test at the combine. Any clues yet guys ? Someone who's fallen and can't get up ?

for anyone who is interested this is Matt_Alkire's top 20 remaining players on his value board (The Scouts Notebook) -

1. Ko Simpson, FS South Carolina
2. Darnell Bing, SS Southern Cal

3. Demetrius Williams, WR Oregon
4. Babatunde Oshinowo, DT Stanford
5. Mark Anderson, DE/OLB Alabama
6. Brandon Marshall, WR Central Florida
7. Jonathan Scott, OT Texas
8. Alan Zemaitis, CB Penn State
9. DeMario Minter, CB Georgia
10. Parys Haralson, DE/OLB Tennessee
11. Jesse Mahelona, DT Tennessee
12. Reggie McNeal, QB Texas A&M
13. Ryan O’Callaghan, OT California
14. Jonathan Lewis, DT VaTech
15. Kevin Boothe, OG Cornell
16. Max Jean-Gilles, OG Georgia
17. Ryan LaCasse, DE/OLB Syracuse
18. Pat Watkins, FS Florida State
19. Elvis Dumervil, DE Louisville
20. Ray Edwards, DE Purdue

there are a couple good corners & safteys available :)

powda said:
take zemantis off ur list....hes a cover 2 corner only.

...and we're *allegedly* going to be running a cover 2 base...

Not sure if that's still the plan, though, since I haven't heard much on the subject in a little while...

D-ReK said:
...and we're *allegedly* going to be running a cover 2 base...

Not sure if that's still the plan, though, since I haven't heard much on the subject in a little while...
we will run tons of cover 2...simply means two deep S playing half the field, over the top. You can run lots of variations and go with man or zone in cover 2. Zemantis could probably play nickel and FS.

Toan said:
Trade Babin, get another 4th, and pick up Minter then we'll have a top 5 D in the NFL.

That'll be the day. Why buy the milk when you can get the cow off the waiver wire for a hundred bucks ?

TYVM beerlover. I was lookin for one of those.

Aren't you a Watkins guy ?

A. Is he worth a fourth ?
B. Can he challenge for the spot ?

Well if FS is the way we decide to go I would much rather have Pat Watkins over Ko Simpson because he measures out ahead of Simpson in everything from height, 10 yd dash, 20 yd dash, 40 time, Strength, Verticle jump and Broad jump.

WILLIEG said:
Well if FS is the way we decide to go I would much rather have Pat Watkins over Ko Simpson because he measures out ahead of Simpson in everything from height, 10 yd dash, 20 yd dash, 40 time, Strength, Verticle jump and Broad jump.

2004 SEC Freshman of the Year by the Associated Press
2004 Freshman All-America by the Football Writers Assocation of America
2004 Freshman All-America by The Sporting News
2004 All-SEC Second Team by the Coaches and AP
SEC Defensive Player of the Week for game vs. Arkansas in 2004
2005 SEC Preseason All-SEC First Team
2005 All-SEC First Team
2005 Second Team All-American by The Sporting News

vs

2005 Honorable Mention All-ACC

Hmmm, I wonder who the better player is...

gg no re said:
Anyone still mad we drafted T. Johnson?

I was never mad That we drafted Travis Johnson. I was mad at Where we drafted Travis Johnson. He's got no excuses now. He'll have Atlas linning up either next to him or opposite from him. We'll find out fairly quickly whether he can carry his water or not. He's in his defense, where he should wreak havoc
and let slip the dogs of war. We'll see.

I am, however, very very greatful for the extra third at this moment. Been long over do.

Ibar_Harry said:
The only choice I have questions about is our 2nd round pick. I worry about his speed. But who am I to say.

Concerning speed, he is only .01 slower in the 40 than AJ Hawk and he is .11 faster than Greenway. I don't see it as a major issue. Plus I hear he plays faster than his timed speed (instinct, quickness).

beerlover said:
for anyone who is interested this is Matt_Alkire's top 20 remaining players on his value board (The Scouts Notebook) -

1. Ko Simpson, FS South Carolina
2. Darnell Bing, SS Southern Cal
3. Demetrius Williams, WR Oregon
4. Babatunde Oshinowo, DT Stanford
5. Mark Anderson, DE/OLB Alabama
6. Brandon Marshall, WR Central Florida
7. Jonathan Scott, OT Texas

8. Alan Zemaitis, CB Penn State
9. DeMario Minter, CB Georgia
10. Parys Haralson, DE/OLB Tennessee
11. Jesse Mahelona, DT Tennessee
12. Reggie McNeal, QB Texas A&M
13. Ryan O’Callaghan, OT California
14. Jonathan Lewis, DT VaTech
15. Kevin Boothe, OG Cornell
16. Max Jean-Gilles, OG Georgia
17. Ryan LaCasse, DE/OLB Syracuse
18. Pat Watkins, FS Florida State
19. Elvis Dumervil, DE Louisville
20. Ray Edwards, DE Purdue

there are a couple good corners & safteys available :)
I know we took OG & OT in the 3rd, but I still like Jonathan Scott and MJG. I also like Brandon Marshall here. There are still a lot of RB's out there, so we could probably get a decent one with our 6th.

Back