Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Round 2 Commentary thread

with the talent left on the board.. ..trade down a few slots????

I wonder how our new coaching staff feels about our players or do they go after winston?

thats exactly what i said killertown
OL with winston in his name, and jimmy williams at safety, kid is nasty, think deangelo hall at safety

Eric Winston is my choice and with one of those 3rd rd picks maybe pick up Cedric Griffin. I would love Leonard Pople preferably in the 3rd round.

D-ReK said:
Winston, Justice, Jimmy Williams all available...

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't eff this up!!

With Charley and the gang you never know what the heck they are going to do. :brickwall

wow, ryans is good, but did we need a LB? i think peek is gonna move outside, i dont know. i wouldve liked jimmy williams here. but ryans is a monster, hes got a nose for the ball and he gets there fast. he killed the gators this year.

Yes please someone give us a link to size this guy up.

I like the pick for the Defense though... I still want OL and DB's though. Hopefully there will be talent in the 3rd for us

OK, I've just about had it with this crap. We could've had Bush and Justice.

Heck, we could've taken Jimmy Williams.

He 3-time academic all-american. He's apparently pro ready.

I'm happy about this pick. I'm trusting Kubiak. He's addressing an obviously terrible Defense.

J. Scott out of Texas will be their in the 3rd. Calm down.

I DO NOT want justice.

I don't know much about him but the "experts" on ESPN are saying it's a very good pick. I did drop a "WTF" when I saw the pick before the commerical.

Guess what Texans fans, Carr may be spending a little more time on the ground than we thought, But, the offense will get the ball more often.

I'm all for that trading both 3rd round picks for a second round pick right now.

Height: 6-2

Weight: 230

40-Yard Dash: 4.65 (EST)

Positives:

DeMeco Ryans' speed may be average on paper, but he has an incredible burst for a linebacker that let's him close in on his target in a big hurry. While he's been excellent in run support, his strength may be dropping back into coverage, running well with running backs and tight ends.

Negatives:

While he played strong-side linebacker in college, Ryans' size lends him more to the weak side in the NFL, which means he'll have to spend a chunk of time learning a different position than he's used to.

Another concern with this is that DeMeco didn't show a whole lot of pass-rush ability in college (at least in part because of Alabama's defensive system), which is often something that weak side linebackers are asked to do. His burst should lend him well to it, but it isn't something he's shown he can do yet.

Overview:

DeMeco Ryans is a guy who has really gotten lost in the ranks of all the great linebackers coming out in this draft. One thing that makes him stand above his peers in this draft is that he's been such a high-character guy throughout his college career, and has really stepped up as a team leader in his time with the Crimson Tide.

*I* think that drafting Justice would have been a mistake here. There's a reason everyone's kept their hands off him.

As far as Ryans, once again, I wanted O-Line, but it's good to see more solid picks.

I gotta stop. Either I just can't handle this, or there's a lot idiots picking for these teams. ESPECIALLY OURS.

I'm outta hear. Need sleep anyway.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/prospects/ryansd.html

Linebacker
DeMeco Ryans
College: Alabama
Year: Senior
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 236
Birthday: July 28, 1984

DeMeco Ryans has been the model student-athlete for the Alabama Crimson Tide. He recently graduated cum laude with a degree in management after only seven college semesters. He donated his weekly per diem to the Hurricane Katrina victims and convinced many of his teammates to do the same. He even got on his teammates to pick up after themselves in the locker room instead of leaving a mess for the cleaning crew.

Ryans is as smart and disciplined on the field as he is off of it. He seems to always be in position, under control, and ready to break down and make the tackle. Alabama used Ryans both inside and outside and as a rush end on passing downs. He moves very well laterally.

While not deficient in any area, Ryans lacks the great measurables that elite prospects usually have. He should be big enough to play any linebacker spot in a 4-3 defense but he isn't going to overpower NFL blockers with size and strength and he does not appear to have the frame to get much bigger. Ryans has decent speed but is not especially quick or explosive.

Ryans’ character and motor make him a safe pick, since no matter what else happens, he’ll give his best effort and represent the franchise well.

(profile written by Warren DeLuca)

From Demeco's website (DemecoRyans.net)....

Great to be a Texan
Written by Jim Morris
Saturday, 29 April 2006
4:02

Wow! After all the waiting the Houston Texans called and made me their second selection of the draft. Head coach Gary Kubiak made the call. I will be checking in a little later, my new team is calling to set up a visit. Check back a little later. I'll be headed to the press conference in about 30 minutes. You can listen to it through the audio clip on the right menu.

Marcus McNeill, E. Winston, W. Justice, J. Scott. Unless there is some huge run up on Tackles one of them will make it to us in the 3rd round.

Can he play ILB.. with our ILB situation (injury on one and age on another) why didn't we get Jackson?
if we were targeting a LB?
:confused:

First Mario Williams after signing Weaver and Kalu, now Ryans? With everyone in the draft available, then Justice, Jackson, and White available we blow it yet again

hadaad said:
*I* think that drafting Justice would have been a mistake here. There's a reason everyone's kept their hands off him.

Only occasionally is it happenstance that causes someone to fall like this. So I'm not disappointed.

Back