Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Roughriders vs Battlehawks!

Eh, it’s exciting for fans in Houston because they’re winning and they're not 1 of the 6 teams averaging less than 20 points per game. For Vipers fans, whose team has yet to score an offensive TD, probably not so exciting.

I agree but you have that in the NFL as well. Only losing team that really have something to look forward to this off season are the Bengals because they, most likely, will get a shiny new QB. Teams like the Browns, Lions and Giants aren't very excited I wouldn't think because they did to poorly to be contenders but to well to get the big, splashy picks.

It isn't that serious. I'm sure that you can look back at that statement and admit that it was just a little exaggerated or sensationalized. I think your excitement is very innocent and authentic. Don't mistake it for commitment and devotion though. It isn't there yet. You're angry with the Texans. I understand. The fact that they draw out this emotion in you is what proves my point. You're deeply invested into their well being and it draws out different emotions and feelings at different times.

i think you hit it on it pretty well but this is what I told my wife, ”its just laidback entertainment and I got some skin in the game because of the city”. I’m not that GD freaked out because there isn’t MY 45 years of Houston football failure there.

Now, if they get all the way to the end and don’t finish, yea that’ll suck, once again. However, as you’re somewhat eluding to ”it’s just the XFL” so it’ll never be as painful as the last 45 years so I’m enjoying, having fun, etc. but there isn’t that long tortured history attached.

NFL Texans seem to be doing a job on the field. XFL Roughnecks seem to be having fun on the field.

Roughnecks seemed to have embraced the Wild West feel of the XFL. Half the time you get the feeling the called play is “Make something up”. It seems much less rigid in the “run the route perfect and hope they didn’t call just the right defense play or else this will all fall apart” I’ve gotten use to seeing.

Not sure if that’s a Texans thing, OB thing, Watson thing or just an NFL thing but it’s really become a drag to watch.

I was at the game Sunday evening. Started tailgating at 10am. The tailgate lot is a commuter parking lot for the students and there is no security to keep you in or out. Pretty good turn out of tailgaters. The game itself was entertaining. The rules are awesome. Love the kickoff rule. The timing at the 2 minute mark is great. This PJ kid can throw the ball, he's exciting. The receiver group is pretty good. Coates still drops the perfect throw but will make the spectacular one.

The crowd was in to it. I even came out on TV after the Roughnecks last interception. The stadium is very nice. I had never been there before.

I think the league will do well. It needs all the teams to be within a game or two of each other. Can't have two teams beating the crap out of every other team. It will get boring.

Well, Roughneck fans, we should probably enjoy PJ while we can this season. He'll end up in the NFL as someone's backup. He's a tad short for the NFL, so I don't know how much success he'd have past the backup stage though. I guess we'll find out.

i think you hit it on it pretty well but this is what I told my wife, ”its just laidback entertainment and I got some skin in the game because of the city”. I’m not that GD freaked out because there isn’t MY 45 years of Houston football failure there.

Now, if they get all the way to the end and don’t finish, yea that’ll suck, once again. However, as you’re somewhat eluding to ”it’s just the XFL” so it’ll never be as painful as the last 45 years so I’m enjoying, having fun, etc. but there isn’t that long tortured history attached.

Right, and the fact that you know that this XFL thing may not even stick around long. I mean people can sit here after two weeks and proclaim that its here to stay or that its just a fad, but the truth is nobody knows anything. Its up to the XFL to do their job to make it a great product that fans want to keep around who will fund it to make it profitable. Fans know in the back of their minds that's the case, so no one is going to get to emotional about whoever they root for either way. Its not going to have near the impact that a Texans SB win or a Texans SB loss would have on a die hard fan either way. And that's for every fan. Its a little harder for some Texan fans though, because O'Brien makes them feel like they're in football purgatory until he is out of here. I do get that part completely though.

Well, Roughneck fans, we should probably enjoy PJ while we can this season. He'll end up in the NFL as someone's backup. He's a tad short for the NFL, so I don't know how much success he'd have past the backup stage though. I guess we'll find out.

And this is gonna be a real booger for this league. They're already bereft of QB talent as is and just as soon as any one of the few here start playing not too badly (Walker, Cardale Jones, maybe Jordan Ta'amu) the odds go up that they'll be plucked to 'the show' and the cupboard just becomes more bare while those guys' teams have nothing consistent to root for or build around.

Bring a championship to Houston that would be nice. For me, 1- it's fun and no one else is playing football right now. 2- it's mostly on free tv antenna. 3- the rule changes are interesting. 4 - as far as good talent leaving to the pros then next man up. 5- it may even be the opposite when unwanted Nfl players leave they may opt for XFL. 6 - yes this league may not succeed in the long run but enjoy it while you can. 7 - If you were to go to a live game the best seats are $130 and under even a trans will take you free. 8- If the Roughnecks make it to the one and only playoff game or championships game I'll bet that TDECU stadium will be sold out. 9 - Complete season is only 10 weeks and finals ends same week as NFL draft days. 10- jobs jobs jobs.

I agree about jobs, that's never ever a bad thing.

Everything else lands somewhere between debatable and meh.

Ranking Every XFL QB After Two Weeks of Action

Ian Hartitz
RotoworldFeb 17, 2020, 3:40 PM

2. P.J. Walker
  • Biggest strength: Offensive scheme is a perfect fit
  • Biggest weakness: Struggles when forced to get rid of the ball quickly
  • Most-telling stat: Has a league-best 108.5 QB Rating
It's truly tough to nitpick a major flaw in Walker's game at the moment. Sure, there have been some missed passes that he'd probably like to have back, but this offense has been an absolute machine when he's been clicking.
The only "problem" is that the Roughnecks offense has been significantly less efficient when Walker has been forced to get rid of the ball in a hurry:
  • When throwing in less than 2.5 seconds: 63% completion rate (8th), 70.2 QB Rating (11th)
  • When throwing in more than 2.5 seconds: 61% completion rate (2nd), 132.7 QB Rating (1st)
Coach June Jones has put together a wide-open offense that accentuates both Walker's dual-threat ability as well as his willingness to test defenses downfield. Walker has proven to be an incredible game-changing talent when the play breaks down, but improved ability to pick apart defenses with quick passes should result in easier gains for everyone involved.
Look for Walker and company to only get better as long as their offensive line continues to ball out. Currently only Jordan Ta'amu (17%) has been under pressure less than Walker (19%).

Lots of games on FS1, ESPN, and ESPN 2. Those are all pay channels aren't they? I know the ESPN's are. Not sure about FS1 being available on rabbit ears.
Yes true the Rouhgnecks have 10 games 7 of the 10 are on local broadcast. The other 3 broadcasts are on those you mentioned and the playoff and championship on ESPN.

Roughnecks seemed to have embraced the Wild West feel of the XFL. Half the time you get the feeling the called play is “Make something up”. It seems much less rigid in the “run the route perfect and hope they didn’t call just the right defense play or else this will all fall apart” I’ve gotten use to seeing.

Not sure if that’s a Texans thing, OB thing, Watson thing or just an NFL thing but it’s really become a drag to watch.
1. Offer the fans excitement and interest in team
2. Wins. We've seen fans support teams thru losing years but eventually Ws have to exist.

Most fans I know prefer high scoring with enough defense to win the game. I think this is perfect scenario for June Jones. Build roster as you go. He needs to develop a QB to replace PJ quickly. Connor Cook? there should be several QBs left after NFL signs UDFA's.

Ian Hartitz

2. P.J. Walker
It's truly tough to nitpick a major flaw in Walker's game at the moment. Sure, there have been some missed passes that he'd probably like to have back, but this offense has been an absolute machine when he's been clicking.
The only "problem" is that the Roughnecks offense has been significantly less efficient when Walker has been forced to get rid of the ball in a hurry:
  • When throwing in less than 2.5 seconds: 63% completion rate (8th), 70.2 QB Rating (11th)
  • When throwing in more than 2.5 seconds: 61% completion rate (2nd), 132.7 QB Rating (1st)
Coach June Jones has put together a wide-open offense that accentuates both Walker's dual-threat ability as well as his willingness to test defenses downfield. Walker has proven to be an incredible game-changing talent when the play breaks down, but improved ability to pick apart defenses with quick passes should result in easier gains for everyone involved.
Look for Walker and company to only get better as long as their offensive line continues to ball out. Currently only Jordan Ta'amu (17%) has been under pressure less than Walker (19%).

Ian Hartitz

2. P.J. Walker
any news on LT #79 who left game 2 injured?

So you watch the NFL and find QB's like Wilson, Watson (On your own team), Mahomes, Jackson (This season), and Rodgers boring to watch? Most people found their styles really exciting.

Outside of that, just this season they had two of the best power running games we've ever seen in the last 20 years. Plenty of QB's like Brady and Brees are constantly changing plays at the line of scrimmage and working the art of the QB position.

How did any of this become not exciting on the field?

So you watch the NFL and find QB's like Wilson, Watson (On your own team), Mahomes, Jackson (This season), and Rodgers boring to watch? Most people found their styles really exciting.

Outside of that, just this season they had two of the best power running games we've ever seen in the last 20 years. Plenty of QB's like Brady and Brees are constantly changing plays at the line of scrimmage and working the art of the QB position.

How did any of this become not exciting on the field?

Tex why is this an XFL vs NFL thing to you? So what if I do prefer the XFL over the NFl or vice versa? Why do you care enough to argue about it? You seemed to be on a tear to convince people the NFL is better, ok no one is arguing that from a quality of play stand point but I'm finding the XFL to be more FUN. Hell college doesn't have as good of players as NFL but a lot of people prefer it and don't even get me started on high school. The NFL has earned its No Fun League label IMO.

Oh and by the way I actually very rarely watch games live these days. Most of them I just catch the highlights because I don't consider 90% of the NFL games to be worth 3 hours of my day. I watched most of the XFL games and all of the Roughneck ones and look forward to watching more. That more than anything tells me which I prefer.

Tex why is this an XFL vs NFL thing to you? So what if I do prefer the XFL over the NFl or vice versa? Why do you care enough to argue about it? You seemed to be on a tear to convince people the NFL is better, ok no one is arguing that from a quality of play stand point but I'm finding the XFL to be more FUN. Hell college doesn't have as good of players as NFL but a lot of people prefer it and don't even get me started on high school. The NFL has earned its No Fun League label IMO.

Oh and by the way I actually very rarely watch games live these days. Most of them I just catch the highlights because I don't consider 90% of the NFL games to be worth 3 hours of my day. I watched most of the XFL games and all of the Roughneck ones and look forward to watching more. That more than anything tells me which I prefer.

The Texans are a known quantity and not all of us are appreciative. The Roughnecks are as yet still an unknown quantity and it's as much curiosity as it is anything else. The rule changes are fun to watch. I enjoy watching the Roughnecks, I get frustrated watching the Texans.

The Texans are, however, not going anywhere. They are here for a very long time while we have no idea how long the Roughnecks will last. This seems to make a difference to some. I don't care honestly, I think it's fun watching football in the spring. I enjoyed the AAF last year, I'll enjoy the XFL this year. Next year? Who knows?

Back