Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie wage scale coming for 2010 Draft??????

4Texans

Veteran
It's about time, and it sounds like the NFLPA will be on board with it.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/league-proposes-immediate-changes-to-rookie-pay/

In December 2008, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the current system for changing rookie pay would not change until 2011.

Apparently, there's been a calendar malfunction at 280 Park Avenue.

Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the league has proposed the implementation of a rookie wage scale for the April 2010 draft. She also reports that the NFLPA has responded with a proposal that would change the structure of the rookie deals beginning in 2010, too.

The league's proposal, per Mullen, would pay players a fixed amount based on draft slot, with a "significant" portion of the savings being distributed to retired players. The NFLPA responded Tuesday with a proposed three-year limit on rookie contracts, along with a two-year extension to the current labor deal and a commitment by the owners to match the payment to the retired players arising from the contribution flowing from the savings in rookie pay.

It is sickening that rookies make so much money. Vets get cut most often cause it's impossible to pay him with a top 10 pick coming onboard.

Rookies should never be the highest paid players on team when they go into training camp. That is just a flawed system to the core. Glad they are addressing it and changing accordingly.

Truly a win-win for everyone. Vets get the lions share of the cap, which they have EARNED through playing, and even better a portion to retired players.

I hope this comes to pass. Vets should be getting the majority of a teams salary, not rookies who haven't proven anything.

Please let this happen. Looks like it would also extend the current labor deal, thus a salary cap. I would hate for the NFL to go back to no cap.

This is part of what the owners wanted, but I was under ther impression that even more important was reducing the percentage of the gate that players received. I am holding my breath on that. The new leader of the players association voiced shortly after taking over that he could see movement on the rookie salaries. While good to see not very surprising. I was hoping to see 2010 as an uncapped year for Houston.

Let's see how this can get screwed up before it gets done.

I hope this gets done. And I hope it's done right, and not just mumbo-jumbo that masks a flawed plan that's being proposed right now.

How the NFL could have ever let the rookie salaries to get THAT out-of-whack is a shame. It should be one of those documentaries ESPN is running (the 30 for 30 documentaries).

This is a good thing, but as GP says, let's wait and see how it's actually carried out. By the time it goes through the players union, NFL management, the lawyers and God knows who else, there's no telling what it will look like. Kind of like getting a bill through Congress and the ole camel is a horse designed by a committee type of thing.

Back