Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roger Goodell named new NFL Commissioner

Texans Pride

Veteran
Breaking news on NFL Network and nfl.com, Roger Goodell has just been named the new commissioner of the NFL

Goodell chosen as NFL's new commissioner

NFL.com wire reports

NORTHBROOK, Ill. (Aug. 8, 2006) -- Roger Goodell was chosen as the NFL's next commissioner Tuesday, succeeding the man who groomed him for the job, Paul Tagliabue.

The 47-year-old Goodell worked his way from a public relations intern to perhaps the most powerful job in American sports. He was unanimously elected by the league's 32 owners on the fifth ballot.

The son of former U.S. Sen. Charles Goodell of New York, he has been Tagliabue's top assistant, particularly on expansion and stadium construction. In 2000, he became the NFL's chief operating officer.

Goodell becomes the league's fourth commissioner since 1946.

"We've had the two greatest sports commissioners in the history of professional sports, Paul Tagliabue and Pete Rozelle, and I was fortunate to work for both of them," Goodell said. "I look forward to the challenge and thank them again for their confidence."

Tagliabue served 17 years, and during that time the league's revenues have skyrocketed. The NFL will collect about $10 billion in TV rights fees during the next six years, and enjoys labor peace with the players' association.

"Replacing Paul was not easy, and I think we've done a great job in selecting Roger," said Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. "The NFL is a complex business. Finding the right person to keep it on course was critical, and we did it."

Goodell beat four other finalists: lawyers Gregg Levy and Frederick Nance; Fidelity Investments vice chairman Robert Reynolds; and Constellation Energy chairman Mayo Shattuck III.

Goodell wasn't certain when he will assume office, although Tagliabue planned to leave the job this month.

"I believe in continuity," said Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay. "It's a lot like with head coaches, and that's what Roger brings us."

http://nfl.com/news/story/9591854

Irsay complimenting Tagliabue on continuity who complimented Matt Millen on his "very valuable perspective"... pretty much sums up my take Tagliabue.

Hats off to Goodell... hope he does well. Yankees 10023, the South 0.

Your new NFL Commissioner

060328_goodell_vsmall10a.rp420x400.jpg

There have been only three NFL Commissioners in the last 60 years; Bert Bell, Pete Rozelle, and Paul Tagliabue. These guys outlast Popes and Presidents so for the younger fans out there, it’s worth noting that this could be the person who is standing at the podium in the year 2026 announcing the selection of a player who hasn’t been born yet. Goodell has big shoes to fill and he knows it. He has learned from the best (Rozelle and Tags) so hopefully he can continue to build on their success. I watched Goodell’s interviews on NFL Network immediately after the selection and as he joked around with Rich Eisen, I thought to myself, at least he has a sense of humor.

Back