Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Revisiting the 2006 Running Back Draft

Hottoddie

Veteran
After watching Maurice Jones-Drew the few times I saw him this season, I'm just curious how you think the 2006 crop of running backs would've changed, if we knew then what we know now. What order do you feel they would've been taken off the board? Not what draft position, but who would you rank 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., etc.?

2006 - Running Backs

Rd Sel # Player Team
1 2 Reggie Bush New Orleans Saints
1 21 Laurence Maroney New England Patriots
1 27 DeAngelo Williams Carolina Panthers
1 30 Joseph Addai Indianapolis Colts
2 45 LenDale White Tennessee Titans
2 60 Maurice Jones-Drew Jacksonville Jaguars
3 74 Brian Calhoun Detroit Lions
3 79 Jerious Norwood Atlanta Falcons
4 100 Michael Robinson San Francisco 49ers
4 106 Garrett Mills New England Patriots
4 117 Leon Washington New York Jets
4 132 P.J. Daniels Baltimore Ravens
5 145 Jerome Harrison Cleveland Browns
6 170 Wali Lundy Houston Texans
6 195 J.D. Runnels Chicago Bears
7 240 Cedric Humes Pittsburgh Steelers
7 246 Quinton Ganther Tennessee Titans

1. Addai- early 1st round
2. Maroney-mid 1st round
3. Jones-Drew- mid to late 1st
4. Bush-late 1st, early 2nd
5. Lendale white- 2nd round

1. Jones Drew
2. Addai
3. Bush
4. Maroney
5. White

Jones Drew has it all. Speed, power, size, running and catching ability. He was a huge steal in the end of the second round. Addai is a great running back also. Bush has not shown much of anything at this point in his career, but I still see a lot of potential upside which is why I rated him above the other two. Once he figures out how to follow the blocks, hit the holes, and keep his momentum moving forward while making fakes he will be much better. Also the Saints need to figure out how to utilize him in the system, he will never make a solid feature back. He is an X factor, not the traditional RB for sure. Maroney is decent, Lendale White is the sequel to Ron Dayne.

1. Addai - Really the best all around RB. Drew is a close second but Addai does all the small thing cause he's HAD to if he wanted PT. This includes blitz pickups and being patient on the stretch runs.

2. MJD- Runs hard downhill and catches well out of the backfield. I think his size has made him play with a chip on his shoulder his entire career and is prolly why he runs like he does.

3. Maroney - Take away his injury problems and the fact the NE offense is fairly pass happy and he could be up in the top spot.

4. Bush- The fact he at least out caught all other rookies says something. Not sure if that's what you want out of a RB with sucha high pick. Overall he's not a bust but in the same token not worth the slot he was taken at. Still don't think he's got what it takes to go between the tackles.

5. Norwood - I was tempted to put White here but performance versus where he was taken and the fee for eating expenses is sizeable less makes him a better pick.

Jones Drew has it all. Speed, power, size, running and catching ability....
Maroney is decent, Lendale White is the sequel to Ron Dayne.

MJD has size? The guy has everything but size. (I'd still hand him our start RB slot in a heart beat)

Lenwhale, rather Lendale is a better back that Dayne has ever been. Once again, if was on our roster - he'd be starting.

How do you guys rate Brandon Jacobs? he was drafted in 05 & on the board until the 4th rd. (#110) selected after Marion Barber (#109) how ironic they where matched up against one another in a playoff game as starters.

My how that Vernand Morency pick in the 3rd rd. (#73) hurts now :brickwall:

Back