Resign Leach or Elite WR 2?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by mugrakers, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mugrakers

mugrakers Rookie

So the basic Idea is that if we can only afford to resign Leach or sign a bonafide number 2 receiver. Someone like Santonio Holmes to play opposite AJ. Which way would you go?

2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

wr #2, full back is a dinosaur, to be honest bring in a few wrs

3. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

You're gonna have to do better than Santonio Holmes if you want a bona fide #2 WR. Holmes wouldn't be rd on our depth chart and maybe not even 4th. Now if it came down to a healthy Steve Breaston or Leach, I might pause. Then I would sign Leach and hope like hell Dorin Dickerson puts it together this year.

4. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

You know I wonder if the fact that we slash our 1st round pick price in half will allow us to spend that extra money on Leach and still have the same flexibility as we always would have any other year...

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Santonio Holmes is a number 1 Wr for at least 12-15 teams in the NFL. He is not coming here because someone is going to pay him a lot of money to be their top dog. The other reason he won't be here that Holmes is not a good guy. Santonio Holmes as a number 2 WR makes this unit top 5, if not the top duo in the NFL.

6. thetexanator

thetexanator All Pro

holmes v. leach at same price??? id take holmes.

7. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Leach!! Without him Foster is toast! JMO! We need our running game to STAY strong, not get weak AGAIN!!!

Double Barrel likes this.
  8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

The free agent WR market doesn't excite me. I'd rather make go with what we have, see what Dickerson has to offer, and next year spend a 1st round pick on a WR when there's like 7-8 1st round caliber studs.

Re-sign Leach and put to bed any worries of the running game dropping off.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Santonio Holmes a #1 receiver on how many teams? Put down the :koolaid: and step away from the keyboard. The dude has had one good year and the rest are pretty pedestrian. Leach brings more to the table IMO.
    I'd rather not find out if one of our reserve TE's cab play FB. I KNOW Leach can and he's one of the best at it.

10. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Leach. Down field blocking is awesome.

Don't fall for the glitz. Stay in the trenches.

JB likes this.
  11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Never, ever overpay for a FB... Do I think Vonta is a beast? YES! Do I love watching Vonta absolutely blow people up? YES!!! That said, FB is a position that it's a bad, bad move to overpay for...

12. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Breaston over Holmes?

I disagree.....big time. I would do it for Holmes.

13. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Yeah, not to mention we are going to be at the end of the first round next year too...I mean, deep playoff runs do that to you...

14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Whether you think it or not

1) His peers think he is top 100 player in the league

http://top100.nfl.com/

2) He will sign for Number 1 money in the NFL

See me in a couple of weeks

3) I will take his 9/131 game winning Superbowl performance and take my chances over Walter and Jacoby

I have already outlined why he won't be a Texan, and it is not because of his pure skill and talent.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Leach hands down. We have #1 RB with a probowl blocker devastating people in front of him; why break that up? It can be improved but I am ok with AJ/Walter and probably JJ. Throw in OD and Dreesen with Tate and Foster catching out of back field....

16. CharloTex

CharloTex All Pro

How about FA Mike Sims-Walker? He might be had for a reasonable fee and he can stretch the field opposite AJ. Walter could be the blocking/slot/possession receiver. That's perfect in my eye.

17. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

I'd take a flyer on Sidney Rice. Could pick him up on the cheap and has huge potential as stretching the field for us.

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Are you seriously using the Top 100 silliness and a good SB performance to justify saying Holmes is #1 receiver material? That's funny. The Top 100 nonsense is no more accurate than fan voting for evaluating talent. Holmes has had some good games, but so has just about every other player in the NFL. He might sign for #1 money, but that doesn't always equal out to #1 talent or production. Just look at the many FA busts out there if you need further proof.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Depends on the WR. Vincent Jackson over Sidney Rice. Leach over rest of field.

20. Rey

Rey Guest

I know someone will post stats to prove otherwise, but this isn't a stretch the field offense. I'm pretty sure we pick up great yardage through the air, but we don't really run a lot of fly routes.

We run a lot of post routes and deep ins, but we rarely ask a receiver to outrun the guy holding him and let Matt throw it up to them and the fastest guy wins.

I think jacoby could probably do that, Aj too. But that isn't our offense and that isn't our qb's strong suit.