Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rams Point of View

Unless the radio announcers were mistaken, that was Spencer that let Hargrove by on the first play of the game

axman40 said:
Hey, look, Zach Wiegert is still in the league! He starts at right tackle for the Texans. Rams defensive end Anthony Hargrove blew past him to harass David Carr on the first play from scrimmage, earning a roughing-the-quarterback penalty seconds into the game.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogs/sports-rams-game-day

:fans:

Found a couple of interesting quotes in the article:

"Texans running backs Vernand Morency and Wali Lundy ran through the Rams but good. Who needs Reggie Bush?"..:D

I think more sportswriters will come to this conclusion this year.

'Defensively, the Rams applied good pass pressure with their first defensive unit. “I have to do a better job of getting the ball out of my hand quicker so we don’t leave plays out on the field,” Texans quarterback David Carr observed. ":lightbulb:

That sounds like he is learning from Kubiak.

:coffee:

The correct answer is C: None of the above.

Hargrove lined up on Spencer's nose but on the snap, he drove hard inside and split the gap between Pitts and Flanagan. Pitts was the only Texans lineman to (barely) engage Hargrove on the play. Pitts and Flanagan appeared more concerned about moving out to block downfield in front of the play, so it looks like Pitts gave Hargrove the ole' knowing the ball would be out quickly and that he had to get downfield. Flanagan basically let Hargrove go, and like Pitts, he appeared to be more concerned about getting into the second tier to block than he was about Hargrove.

Spencer appears to have correctly picked up O.J. Otogwe who was blitzing off the corner. Hargrove wasn't Spencer's man (much less Weigert's) in any case on the first play from scrimmage.

Weigert's man was the LDE, Victor Adeyanju and Weigert neutralized him on the play.

I am a loner out there, but I have been very critical of Pitts for a long time. In fact I have often stated I would like to see him on the other side of the line away from Wand. I've felt he has been Wand's or any LT biggest problem. I've stated I would like to see Wiegert at LG and Pitts at RG.

People are all over Carr and his performance, but they forget our protection was horrendous the 1st possession or two. When that was ironed out and Carr became comfortible he began to perform. I still think people are looking at the wrong cause of Carr's problems. You keep getting nailed doing your job and you get gun shy. I think he is and its going to take a little while to gain his confidence back particularly when you blasted on the opening plays.

aj. said:

Hargrove lined up on Spencer's nose but on the snap, he drove hard inside and split the gap between Pitts and Flanagan. Pitts was the only Texans lineman to (barely) engage Hargrove on the play. Pitts appeared more concerned about moving out to block downfield in front of the play, so he gave Hargrove the ole' knowing the ball would be out quickly and that he had to get downfield.

Spencer appears to have correctly picked up O.J. Otogwe who was blitzing off the corner. Hargrove wasn't Spencer's man (much less Weigert's) in any case on the first play from scrimmage.

Multiple choice answer with an explanation, nicely done! I didn't get to see the game so is nice to read the playback. Thanks AJ.

Ibar, I'm not implying the play was a failure by Pitts. The ball is out in an instant on that play and Pitts and Flanagan appeared to let Hargrove go by them by design ... although it seems like a little more of a chip would have been appropriate. Pitts has always been and still is one of our best linemen.

aj. said:
Ibar, I'm not implying the play was a failure by Pitts. The ball is out in an instant on that play and Pitts and Flanagan appeared to let Hargrove go by them by design ... although it seems like a little more of a chip would have been appropriate.

I know what you are saying, but it has been a consistant pattern over the last few years. They were talking about Spencer having to be taken out because he was shaky and allowing things to happen that caused Carr a lot of problems in the beginning. I have stated for a long time I want WIegert on the left to work with the Rookies if we are going to work them at LT. He is our best offensive lineman and just seems to have that ability and understanding when its necessary to help out. I have always felt Pitts was a me, me type of guy. I don't think of him as a team player.

I know my statement is contrary to what a lot think, but its my gut feeling and observations. We really have the possibility of going along way this year. I would hope everyone would just calm down and watch what happens. We have the beginnings of new great offense. I hope we have the patience to just let it settle in.

Ibar_Harry said:
I have always felt Pitts was a me, me type of guy. I don't think of him as a team player.

I know my statement is contrary to what a lot think, but its my gut feeling and observations.
This the dumbest statement in a long line of dumb comments... Pitts is the ultimate team player and moves around the line with no questions asked and has a great attitude. Kindly point us fans that are not from Fresno where you see this poor attitude and give me some examples of his bad play.

Hey, I've made my statement and I leave it at that. I think the guy has pulled the wool over everyones eyes. I believe he belongs on the right side of the line, not the left side.....

Ibar_Harry said:
They were talking about Spencer having to be taken out because he was shaky and allowing things to happen that caused Carr a lot of problems in the beginning.

From what I can surmise, Spencer got pulled because of the false start on 3rd and 5 on the second drive. I'm guessing that Kubiak was trying to settle him down. I can understand a rookie having some nerves playing in the second game of his career.

What are these "things" Spencer was allowing to happen to Carr? Was it something in Kubiak's post game comments(?) because I haven't read them yet.

From what I've seen in the replay, that appeared to be his only major mistake -- in the first two drives at least. Wand played drive three and Spencer came back in for drive four.

If anyone wants to see a thing of beauty, look at the first play of the Texans second drive (10:22 of the 1st) and watch Spencer take Corey Chavous for a 20 yard ride downfield.

Ibar_Harry said:
. I have always felt Pitts was a me, me type of guy. I don't think of him as a team player.

Then it's very obvious you don't know our players or our team very well. That's one of the more ignorant statements I've run across here in a while - and that's saying something.

Ibar_Harry said:
I would hope everyone would just calm down and watch what happens. .

So would I.

aj. said:

Hargrove lined up on Spencer's nose but on the snap, he drove hard inside and split the gap between Pitts and Flanagan. Pitts was the only Texans lineman to (barely) engage Hargrove on the play. Pitts and Flanagan appeared more concerned about moving out to block downfield in front of the play, so it looks like Pitts gave Hargrove the ole' knowing the ball would be out quickly and that he had to get downfield. Flanagan basically let Hargrove go, and like Pitts, he appeared to be more concerned about getting into the second tier to block than he was about Hargrove.

Weigert's man was the LDE, Victor Adeyanju and Weigert neutralized him on the play.
Your analysis looks right on the $$. Hargrove looked shaded to the inside, but not by much. Pitts engages him for a split-second at the shoulders and pushes him inside before taking off for the 2nd level.

Basically, Moulds didn't get over quick enough to make his block on Fakhir Brown, and Brown (who was lined up over AJ) broke up the play.

...and Joel Meyers mentions that Gary Kubiak got roughed on the play... :brickwall

AJ said , Then it's very obvious you don't know our players or our team very well. That's one of the more ignorant statements I've run across here in a while - and that's saying something.

I'm piling on Ibar also because the current staff believes Pitts can be a pro-bowl LG . Pitts was an adequate LT ... you can't blame Carr's screwups on everybody else . Its a new day in Houston and each player does his job or gets to watch the game from the sideline , Carr being no exception .

Ibar_Harry said:
Hey, I've made my statement and I leave it at that. I think the guy has pulled the wool over everyones eyes. I believe he belongs on the right side of the line, not the left side.....

Another example of making facts up to prove a chosen position. Just say you want Wiegert at LG and leave it at that--no reason to denigrate Pitts who has done nothing to deserve such comments. By the way, even your veteran presence of Wiegert theory is getting pretty thin at this point. Pitts is no rookie out there--he has 4 years in the league. FYI also--Wiegert has spent more time at RG than any other position with 2nd place being RT--the vast majority of his experience is on the right side.

Since everyone has taken the fun out of piling on Ibar...Another quote from the Rams Blog:
Frantically trying to win this preseason game, Texans coach Gary Kubiak left Carr in to finish the half. Carr drove Houston’s two-minute offense through the Rams prevent defense and the Texans expanded their lead to 10-3 at the half with Kris Brown’s 48-yard field goal.
I guess Coach K should have just sat on the ball...with 3 timeouts left. What Would Dom Do?

The evidence that Kubiak wanted to win this game was when he left Rosenfels in the game in the 4th instead of sticking with his plan to use Pickett. Carr was going to play a half or thereabouts per the plan coming in.

aj. said:
The evidence that Kubiak wanted to win this game was when he left Rosenfels in the game in the 4th instead of sticking with his plan to use Pickett. Carr was going to play a half or thereabouts per the plan coming in.

I think he was going by a set number of plays.

Because the defense was on the field so long, the Texans didn't use as many plays as they did the previous week, even though the total yardage was about the same. I have to say personally that I would have been unhappy to see Sage pulled to audition Pickett just because I was interested to see if he could sustain what he was doing.

Just guessing tho.

I'm going by Kubiak's pre game comments that indicated Pickett would play in the 4th - even considering the lopsided time of possession and 48 plays - it's just what I felt when watching the game - - of course I could have been imagining things again ....

I thought Kubiak was playing for the win also. I think the win was as important as looking at Pickett too. I like the way he thinks so far. He's a gamer.

Vinny said:
I thought Kubiak was playing for the win also. I think the win was as important as looking at Pickett too. I like the way he thinks so far. He's a gamer.

Show me a coach that doesn't want to win every game he is in, and ill...ill show him the door.

Jwwillis said:
Show me a coach that doesn't want to win every game he is in, and ill...ill show him the door.

What about those that want to keep it close and maybe steal it in the 4th??? Waite......he got the door. Carry on.

cuppacoffee said:
Found a couple of interesting quotes in the article:

"Texans running backs Vernand Morency and Wali Lundy ran through the Rams but good. Who needs Reggie Bush?"..:D

I think more sportswriters will come to this conclusion this year.

:coffee:

Yep. I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. :D

Jwwillis said:

Capers.........he played not to lose.......and still did.......and the door kicked him in the rear. :hides:

Back