Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quinten Demps

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I know we had cut him before last season. He went to another team, they released him, we needed a safety, we signed him back to the team. We thought we were lucky as he made a few opportune plays that we really needed.

He beats out Troy Nolan & we send Nolan packing.

I don't know how he's been playing all year, I think he must have been "ok" since I hadn't really noticed him. But last week against the Patriots & yesterday against the Colts, the two big touchdown plays were made possible because he was looking in the backfield, standing flat-footed as receivers ran right past him.

He got benched yesterday. At least I believe he did, I didn't see him in the second half. Shilo Keo played instead. He stayed deep, like a safety is supposed to.

Do you think Demps is the guy that needs to be on the field? Do you think he learns his lesson & gets on the field again?

It's Wade's call & I trust him to make the right call. But I hope he is not starting next week. Instead, I'd rather Keo gets the first snaps in our dime package, then they allow Demps to take a series, but he should have the understanding he needs to play well to get any more snaps than that.

One mistake & he's going to the locker room early.

You're right on all of that - my answer is he is so far down the depth chart what do you do? If there was a better player on the street they would sign him.

Vandermeer was talking about that play this morning.

Week to week the best player on the bench will play.

He got benched yesterday. At least I believe he did, I didn't see him in the second half. Shilo Keo played instead. He stayed deep, like a safety is supposed to.

Do you think Demps is the guy that needs to be on the field? Do you think he learns his lesson & gets on the field again?
I think Demps was injured. I remember seeing him holding his arm after a tackle at one point. I'd have to rewatch to confirm that though.

I know we had cut him before last season. He went to another team, they released him, we needed a safety, we signed him back to the team. We thought we were lucky as he made a few opportune plays that we really needed.

He beats out Troy Nolan & we send Nolan packing.

I don't know how he's been playing all year, I think he must have been "ok" since I hadn't really noticed him. But last week against the Patriots & yesterday against the Colts, the two big touchdown plays were made possible because he was looking in the backfield, standing flat-footed as receivers ran right past him.

It's Wade's call & I trust him to make the right call. But I hope he is not starting next week. Instead, I'd rather Keo gets the first snaps in our dime package, then they allow Demps to take a series, but he should have the understanding he needs to play well to get any more snaps than that.

One mistake & he's going to the locker room early.

Agree and throw in Brandon Harris and his "can't hang with my assignment so I will hold" ass as well...

I always hate safeties that don't make sure of their deep responsibility first.

And it's not just Demps.

On the other hand, I haven't seen much from a scheme standpoint where Wade baits the QB with exchanged responsibility by the DBs as of late.

I hope he's saving them for the play-offs.

Yeah, a guy who can't hang with Reggie Wayne doesn't need to be in this league.

A guy who has to hold a defender, no matter whom it is, because he cannot keep up doesn't need to be in the league...A guy who for the past 3 weeks has committed a stupid holding penalty, extending the drive for the other team, doesn't need to be on the field, much less in the league...

Wayne isn't the only WR Harris has covered...

Have I mentioned I don't like Harris and now understand why he was never played. Only reason he plays now is not by choice, but lack of options for the Texans coaching staff...

Ok, rewatching the game. Thinking maybe I'm being a little knee jerk.

on the series before Demps gave up that touchdown, he broke on a ball intended for Reggie Wayne, should have intercepted it. However, that pass defensed stopped the Colts on a 3rd & 15 & forced them to punt.

That punt was the one Bryan Braman blocked & returned for a touchdown.

So he's not useless..... but I still believe he was benched & I'm glad that he was. Accountability.

I hope it's been a function of lack of other options that has him seeing any kind of significant PT. While I finally like our options at starting safeties...the backups leave way too much to be desired.

In April we will see the Texans start to replace some players and strengthen our depth. I think it is great we have only one dire need this off season. If Quin is signed, safety is far down the list.

I hope it's been a function of lack of other options that has him seeing any kind of significant PT. While I finally like our options at starting safeties...the backups leave way too much to be desired.

With the amount of time our third safety plays, I don't know that you can call him depth. Same with our nickel, we're in nickel too much to not believe we start 3 CBs. Too much dime to not believe we start 3 safeties.

I like Brandon Harris more than I like McCain.

I think we need to draft a safety kind of high in the draft...Either that or hope that Eddie Pleasant is the guy that can step in and make plays...

Our safeties haven't been playing all that well IMO...but the thing is any one of them could make a big play at any time. If one of them makes a big play at a crucial moment I think all would be forgiven by most...But I think we could use another good safety even if we re-sign Quinn..

I think we need to draft a safety kind of high in the draft...Either that or hope that Eddie Pleasant is the guy that can step in and make plays...

Our safeties haven't been playing all that well IMO...but the thing is any one of them could make a big play at any time. If one of them makes a big play at a crucial moment I think all would be forgiven by most...But I think we could use another good safety even if we re-sign Quinn..

I agree. I think Quin consistently makes plays, but they aren't the game changing plays like INTs, sacks or TFLs. Manning, just too far inbetween considering the pressure we do get when we get it, & Demps... he's almost invisible.

I like the starting combo of Manning & Quin, but I'd like to get a solid third... as many snaps as he gets, he's practically a starter. Needs to be a play-maker.

With the amount of time our third safety plays, I don't know that you can call him depth. Same with our nickel, we're in nickel too much to not believe we start 3 CBs. Too much dime to not believe we start 3 safeties.

Could be wrong, but I don't think we'd do that so much if we had better coverage from our LBs. Cushing's injury hurts a lot, for one thing.

Bledsoe lost his job to Brady and the (much much) better guy kept it. I'm not sure Kaepernick is the better guy. He gives them a better chance to win the big games but also a bigger chance to lose the easily winnable ones.

Well, they could start whomever is appropriate for the opponent, but Smith isn't going to like not ever playing in the playoffs, along with the obvious of not being "the" starter. I guess it's a little late to worry about this idea in the regular season this year.

Could be wrong, but I don't think we'd do that so much if we had better coverage from our LBs. Cushing's injury hurts a lot, for one thing.

That was the knock on Demeco. Wade brings in that 3rd safety (Making Quin a smallish LB) too often to warrant Demeco's price tag.

Agreed on Harris and the S issue.

A good S should be available in the 4-5th rd range. Guys that I really like are Duke Williams/Shamarko Thomas who is going to tear up the combine, but isn't real instinctive but could do a good job covering the TE.

That's the reason Quin doesn't have many picks is he covers the TE and Demps is the deep centerfielder type S in the nickle packages. Another S I really like is Jordan Kovacs. Very smart guy who always seems to be in the right place. Kind of like Quin.

Agreed on Harris and the S issue.

A good S should be available in the 4-5th rd range. Guys that I really like are Duke Williams/Shamarko Thomas who is going to tear up the combine, but isn't real instinctive but could do a good job covering the TE.

Do you think maybe the game is changing & it would be wise to get away from the traditional safety & target talented.... big corners?

I mean look at what Belichick did with McCourty. I don't think Bill is saying he can't play corner, he's just saying they don't really have any good safeties out there.

Chung, Landry, several others who were supposed to be something.... aren't really much.

Think about this... Let's say we resign Routt. Routt, Kj, Harris.. they'd make great safeties & probably have more range than any safety coming out of the draft. None of them have hands, I don't think.

What do you think?

Do you think maybe the game is changing & it would be wise to get away from the traditional safety & target talented.... big corners?

I mean look at what Belichick did with McCourty. I don't think Bill is saying he can't play corner, he's just saying they don't really have any good safeties out there.

Chung, Landry, several others who were supposed to be something.... aren't really much.

Think about this... Let's say we resign Routt. Routt, Kj, Harris.. they'd make great safeties & probably have more range than any safety coming out of the draft. None of them have hands, I don't think.

What do you think?
If they resign Routt, I'll let Jackson, Quin, and Manning rotate or play in some form of a platoon depending on the matchup.

In nickel or dime, all 3 of them will be on the field.

Jackson can give Routt and JJo a breather now and then, too!

What do you think?

Well got to remember we're no different. We are doing the same as Bill. Quin and Manning were originally corners so maybe it is. But I would say we may be moving more into it 'was' changing. The change was because of all these teams spreading it out with multiple receiver sets but lately there seems a new shift with these tight ends. Gonzales, Graham, Gronk/Hernandez, our own OD...these corner shifted to safties don't safeties are generally outsized by these guys.

It's like a chess match. Teams began shifting corners to safeties to deal with receiver sets so offenses grabbed atheletic tight ends. Well....time for the defenses to make their move, heh. I know I would love a corner that was 6'3 or so like these receivers lately. Going to need someone to get up there with these leapers like AJ Green, Julio Jones and of course Megatron.

Well got to remember we're no different. We are doing the same as Bill. Quin and Manning were originally corners so maybe it is. But I would say we may be moving more into it 'was' changing. The change was because of all these teams spreading it out with multiple receiver sets but lately there seems a new shift with these tight ends. Gonzales, Graham, Gronk/Hernandez, our own OD...these corner shifted to safties don't safeties are generally outsized by these guys.

It's like a chess match. Teams began shifting corners to safeties to deal with receiver sets so offenses grabbed atheletic tight ends. Well....time for the defenses to make their move, heh. I know I would love a corner that was 6'3 or so like these receivers lately. Going to need someone to get up there with these leapers like AJ Green, Julio Jones and of course Megatron.

I agree, it's much like a chess match but just like the ever ongoing problem to find that space eating NG, these guys don't grow on trees.

Jackson is FINALLY looking good at corner and some of you want to move him to S? :toropalm:

I agree with that.

Guys that can play tight man coverage are valuable. Kj has developed into the kind of corner that is most always in position on his man.

Only way I'd move him at this point is if he starts to struggle or if someone better or just as good comes a long.

Yeah, I would if the Texans are able to resign Routt to a decent contract that is not expensive.

It's about putting your best eleven on the field.

Remember that I am the most vocal defender of Jackson from day one.

What do you think?

Mathieu would be perfect, if he weren't a drug dealer. I do like Rhodes but that would cost a 1st rd pick. Micah Hyde could do the job and will be a later rd pick.

None of the current Texan CB's are good enough tacklers for me to be comfortable with them as the last line of defense. KJ could do the job, but I think it would be wrong to move him. It looks like he's become a servicable CB.

I don;t think Nolan has been given a solid chance in game situations. I'd rather see Nolan than Demps.

Back