Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quinn Gray and Jordan Black released

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
According to the Chronic:

The Texans placed quarterback Quinn Gray and offensive tackle Jordan Black on waivers today.

Before the Texans had their last OTA (organized team activities), Gray and Black were given their pink slips. Black came to Houston as an unrestricted free agent from Kansas City. He never fit in with what the Texans were doing up front and ended the season as the fourth tackle.

Gray, who played so well for Jacksonville in a loss to the Texans at Reliant Stadium last season, had signed a one-year deal as the third quarterback behind Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels.

Gray didn't adjust well to the Texans system so they released him.
Veteran Shane Boyd and rookie Alex Brink are the other quarterbacks on the roster.
Gray is a bit surprising. Look for more cuts before training camp starts to get down to the 80 man roster.

According to the Chronic:

Gray is a bit surprising. Look for more cuts before training camp starts to get down to the 80 man roster.

Gray was surprising but Black not so much. I'm sure they gave him a vanilla playbook just in case he was resigned by Jax or another team since he was a newbie? This gives Boyd and Brink a shot at sticking around.

Not really suprised about Gray...

I figured that if Brink showed any kind of potential Gray would be gone...

Cutting him this early gives him time to find another club..

Black's release may bode well for Charles Spencer. The Texans currently have 6 OTs on the roster, and I would think they would carry that many into camp.

Brown
Winston
Salaam
Butler
Frye
Spencer

Scott Jackson has played OT in camp and preseason. But I would think he would stay at Guard, since they are carrying 6 on the roster, at the moment. Unless the Texans have another FA OT they're eyeing, I'd say Spencer gets a reprieve going into camp.

Edit: This was my 5K post? I should have planned this better. :(

Damn. Wasn't expected Quinn Gray to be released. I guess it it will be Schaub/Sage/Brink now.

But I agree about Spencer. Looks like he may stay.

Damn. Wasn't expected Quinn Gray to be released. I guess it it will be Schaub/Sage/Brink now.

But I agree about Spencer. Looks like he may stay.
I also remember that Shane Boyd is pretty high on Kubiak's list too. Bringing in Gray may have sped up the maturation of Boyd.

Not really suprised about Gray...

I figured that if Brink showed any kind of potential Gray would be gone...

Cutting him this early gives him time to find another club..

I agree. I think he was brought here as insurance in case of a Sage trade. There have been comments about how good Boyd and Brink have looked during camp. The only comment I've heard about Gray is that he was over-weight.

Gray came to the Texans with the expectation that he would become the backup QB after a Sage trade. That never happened, and I could see how he might have become disappointed. The 3rd QB is almost always a young guy who won't complain about being the scout team QB. And the Texans could still revert to going with 2 QBs on the roster. I thought Sage could still be traded in preseason, if someone's QB went down with an injury. Not going to happen, now.

I also remember that Shane Boyd is pretty high on Kubiak's list too. Bringing in Gray may have sped up the maturation of Boyd.

It's going to be very telling what they do with the roster this year. I think it's almost a given that Brink ends up on the PS. Boyd has no PS eligibility left, so he's either "all-in" or "all-out". Kubes has historically kept only two QB's on the 53 man roster, the only exception that I know of being the end of last year when Schaub was still on the roster, but unable to play because of the shoulder.

From a sheer ability standpoint, Schaub and Rosenfels clearly put the team in the best postion they've ever been in, and would indicate carrying two QB's makes more sense than ever. If we keep three, it will clearly be because of the injury concern regarding Schaub. On the other hand, if they're happy with Brink's progress, they may feel like they can still carry two and either re-sign Boyd or promote Brink if circumstances warrant.

My first reaction is that Shane Boyd probably looks good....The little I saw of him impressed me...can't wait to see him in the preseason. The writing on the wall should have been staring Jordan Black in the face. It probably helps him to get an early release.

Se la vi -

I'm thinking there was a handshake deal in place the whole time. After the draft came and went, and Sage was still a Texan, Quinn was given his release to make another squad before camp. But like I said, thats just what makes sense to me...

Don't mind the QB with the 7th rounder, but wonder why we needed the upmteenth safety with the 6th ?
probably the best athlete left in the draft that could push someone for a job is kinda what I'm thinkin'. We don't have anyone special back there.

Slightly surprised on Gray. But with Boyd and Brink we have someone to be the 3rd QB anyway. Not surprised at all with Black. I can't even remember the guy getting any playing time last year.

It's going to be very telling what they do with the roster this year. I think it's almost a given that Brink ends up on the PS. Boyd has no PS eligibility left, so he's either "all-in" or "all-out". Kubes has historically kept only two QB's on the 53 man roster, the only exception that I know of being the end of last year when Schaub was still on the roster, but unable to play because of the shoulder.

I agree however Brink is a better long term prospect for Kubiaks system & placing him on the practice squad leaves him unprotected so another team could just reach out n' take him.

From a sheer ability standpoint, Schaub and Rosenfels clearly put the team in the best postion they've ever been in, and would indicate carrying two QB's makes more sense than ever. If we keep three, it will clearly be because of the injury concern regarding Schaub. On the other hand, if they're happy with Brink's progress, they may feel like they can still carry two and either re-sign Boyd or promote Brink if circumstances warrant.

Once again I agree with you on both points. personally prefeer the later & the Texans will carry three QB's on the roster the third being Brink :)

I think Gray was only ever picked up as an insurance policy in case they got a crazy offer for Sage. He didn't want to be a #3, so I bet they told him something like this ahead of his signing: "If we end up trading Sage, you're the new #2. If we don't trade him, we'll cut you in time for you to hook on with another team."

EDIT - Solis, I didn't see your post until after I posted. Yeah, pretty much what you said. LOL

I agree however Brink is a better long term prospect for Kubiaks system & placing him on the practice squad leaves him unprotected so another team could just reach out n' take him.

You may be correct, but we're talking about a 7th round QB who wouldn't have any time learning someone else's system, and if someone plucks him off the PS, he'd have to be on their 53 man roster. I think that's unlikely to happen, but then again...

I think Gray was only ever picked up as an insurance policy in case they got a crazy offer for Sage. He didn't want to be a #3, so I bet they told him something like this ahead of his signing: "If we end up trading Sage, you're the new #2. If we don't trade him, we'll cut you in time for you to hook on with another team."

EDIT - Solis, I didn't see your post until after I posted. Yeah, pretty much what you said. LOL

You know what they say about great minds...

But yeah - thats the only thing that really makes any sense. I think Gray is far too good of a QB to just let go - so there must have been an agreement in place that would allow for his release prior to camp if he was still number 3 on the depth chart.

If Brink has a really good preseason, I wouldn't be suprised to see Kubes keep him on the roster as the 3rd QB. Remember that after last season Kubiak did say that he would rethink his philosophy on only keeping two quarterbacks.

Don't mind the QB with the 7th rounder, but wonder why we needed the upmteenth safety with the 6th ?

Someone for S/T duty IMO. And if he pushes some of the other DBs so he can climb up the depth chart, so much the better.

that 7th rd. pick doesn't look like such a head scratcher now :mshadows:

great point. hated the pick then but now it does look a lot better. we just didn't get what we wanted for Rosenfels so we kept him. I always feel good about having Sage in the pocket in case of problems with Schaub....but it would have been nice to have gotten a 2nd Rounder for him and no one bit.

great point. hated the pick then but now it does look a lot better. we just didn't get what we wanted for Rosenfels so we kept him. I always feel good about having Sage in the pocket in case of problems with Schaub....but it would have been nice to have gotten a 2nd Rounder for him and no one bit.

It would have been nice to get a third rounder and kept Quinn... but having an experienced back up in Sage is a huge plus.

It's a good sign when we can discuss the Texans backups... means we've turned that corner and are starting to build real depth.

It would have been nice to get a third rounder and kept Quinn... but having an experienced back up in Sage is a huge plus.

It's a good sign when we can discuss the Texans backups... means we've turned that corner and are starting to build real depth.

well they didnt take the 3rd rounder from Minny and that would have allowed them to pick up OT Tony Hills...so that would have been nice, but I would rather have Sage than Gray at the end of the day. If they dropped Black its obvious they are happy with their OT situation anyways so Hills may have been a luxury.

well they didnt take the 3rd rounder from Minny and that would have allowed them to pick up OT Tony Hills...so that would have been nice, but I would rather have Sage than Gray at the end of the day. If they dropped Black its obvious they are happy with their OT situation anyways so Hills may have been a luxury.

Right, my luxury third rounder would have been Jeremy Zuttah. Thought he was the kind of guard that would have fit nicely in the Gibbs ZBS. Fast, athletic, stronger than hell... But we got Sage and that's not bad either - but for the love of God, I hope he doesn't see any meaningful minutes this year.

You may be correct, but we're talking about a 7th round QB who wouldn't have any time learning someone else's system, and if someone plucks him off the PS, he'd have to be on their 53 man roster. I think that's unlikely to happen, but then again...

he basicly ran the same system @ WSU. not a stretch at all he picks everything up very quickly, plus he has better mobility in the pocket. If I where a team using a similar system as the Texans or in need of another QB without paying a high price, like a 3rd rounder, I would be paying close attention to Kubiaks moves, its clear his eye for talent @ the QB position is an area of strength for this organization :shades:

The way I see it is a 7th round QB from WSU beat him out of a job.

However, I do believe the whole "Gray was an insurance policy" theory. We had to go in the draft prepared to have the "Trade Sage Option" open. Since that didn't happen and Gray is still a 3rd QB, we can let him go and get someone who is youthful there to hold the clipboard.

He'd have to clear waivers to be placed on the PS in the first place, but I agree it's unlikely another team would sign him at all, having missed all of their offseason. If assured of a PS spot, Brink would also already have a vested interest in staying with the Texans, with the view that he'd be first in line to back up Schaub next year or the year after.

I'm wondering, too.

Signed,
Glenn (please don't cut me next) Earl

Their approach to upgrading the safety positions has been throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.:voodoo:
(Just wanted an excuse to use that smilie)

It would be nice if QB Brinks turns out to be the 7th round surprise sensation that LB Diles did last year! Makes me fell all warm hearted for our G.M.

My first reaction is that Shane Boyd probably looks good....The little I saw of him impressed me...can't wait to see him in the preseason. The writing on the wall should have been staring Jordan Black in the face. It probably helps him to get an early release.

Yeah, the preseason game vs. Cardinals was a game where I was also thinking, "Wow. Who is THIS guy? Moving the ball down the field in lots of ways, and making it look fairly easy."

Of course, (a) it was preseason, (b) it was the Texans defense, and (c) it was later in the game IIRC. But still, he was composed and was generally Qb'ing the Cardinals like a veteran out there.

His mobility is a big-time plus, too.

I hope Boyd is our 3rd QB (Kubiak "said" he would carry 3 this season). And I bet Brink is on the PS. I'd be very happy with that scenario, and I am looking forward to seeing Boyd in action this preseason.

I'm a little surprised to hear that Boyd has no PS eligibility left because I figured that may have been some of the motivation for the move.

However what I like about the move is that it is doing the players a favour by getting them released early and back onto the market. Shows the team cares about its people and wants the best for them. If they wanted to they could of kept them till the last minute and cut them at the last moment, which would of disadvantaged other teams but also the players too.

I like the fact the Texans do things the classy way whenever possible. :fans:

I think it's a good sign that Black is getting released so early. We have talent now, and players who can't hack it are gonna be gone.

Yeah, the preseason game vs. Cardinals was a game where I was also thinking, "Wow. Who is THIS guy? Moving the ball down the field in lots of ways, and making it look fairly easy."

Of course, (a) it was preseason, (b) it was the Texans defense, and (c) it was later in the game IIRC. But still, he was composed and was generally Qb'ing the Cardinals like a veteran out there.

He was playing against Diles, Anderson, Barber, Cochran, Zgonina, TJ, T. Johnson, Bennett, Harrison, Fletcher and Wynn. Hutchins was also on the field at the time. He started the second half and played the 3rd qtr and part of the 4th. This was week 2 of preseason. In addition to Boyd's stellar play, Fletcher also picked him off once and Thomas Johnson sacked him once.

Neither of these moves were that much of a surprise, especially Black. fwiw, I remember on All Access seeing the attendance chart in the weight room and Gray had missed the most sessions (3) at the time. I don't know if that was OTA sessions or weight room sessions, but my daugher was the one who pointed it out to me and asked "who's Gray" (because he had the most sad faces on the chart).

Maybe they just sucked.......anyone think of that one?

We all know Black sucks, that is the consensous anyway. Gray looked good at times last year, so I do not think many of us fans thought that about him.

We all know Black sucks, that is the consensous anyway. Gray looked good at times last year, so I do not think many of us fans thought that about him.

The Kansas fans knew Black was bad before he came to Houston and nothing he has done has really changed that perception, but it is nice to know that a bad player can't make the roster anymore, especially on the OLine.

Gray has had some good games playing in the NFL so we know he has something to offer, the fact that he can't make the team either says he was a bad fit in our system (which seems to be the message) or that the other guys we have are that just plain better.

no. Brink will be solidfied as the back-up :wesmantexanfan:
No, my crystal balls say Brink will be traded for a high first round pick. I mean if Diles can go from 7th round to possible starter in one season, a QB selected by Smith in 7th should be worth at least a one on the market. Greedy aren't I? BTW we will still have Schaub who will be a pro bowler and Sage will go to some team for a 2nd round.

Back