Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quarterback

pappy

Waterboy
Do we have a quarterback disease here in houston ? That other guy could have done a better job in the first half . Shaub is playing as sorry as i have ever seen a quarterback play for the texans and that takes some doing . Can anyone learn to throw it away when outside the pocket ? Does AJ being in view mean that is where i am passing it even if he is covered ? What do fans need to do here in this town to get decent play from a quarterback ?

Do we have a quarterback disease here in houston ? That other guy could have done a better job in the first half . Shaub is playing as sorry as i have ever seen a quarterback play for the texans and that takes some doing . Can anyone learn to throw it away when outside the pocket ? Does AJ being in view mean that is where i am passing it even if he is covered ? What do fans need to do here in this town to get decent play from a quarterback ?

How about not having another QB EVER wearing number 8 can be a start. It should be retired because it is like a black hole of suck that has a half life of 1,000 years.

Giving up to 2nd round picks for Schaub at the time was just a risky/bad move on Texans part.

Nothing against Schaub, but there were and still are some big holes on this team.

There's more problems than just the quarterback. He's a bright spot. The defense is terrible.

He's a bright spot? What game are you watching? I'm not down on Schaub in general, but he's made some terrible decisions today, ranging from forcing passes (like he showed a tendency to do last season) to not throwing the ball away to avoid a sack when he's outside the tackle box. The INT to #57 was absolutely a rookie mistake.

Sorry, but given the way the defense is playing, the quarterback concerns are nothing.

seeing as the defense can't get off the field the whole game, maybe the quarterback is an issue. if we had one that could put a drive or two together, the D could get some rest, admittedly. they would probably still not look great, but it would be better than how they look now. The quarterback is a major concern.

Schaub is still the Texans QB. If you think Rosenfels could do any better with this $%$# they call blocking, then you are dreaming big time. Schaub has sucked today no doubt, but it is not all on him.

seeing as the defense can't get off the field the whole game, maybe the quarterback is an issue. if we had one that could put a drive or two together, the D could get some rest, admittedly. they would probably still not look great, but it would be better than how they look now. The quarterback is a major concern.

Maybe, but the defense sucked when they were fresh.

Schaub is still the Texans QB. If you think Rosenfels could do any better with this $%$# they call blocking, then you are dreaming big time. Schaub has sucked today no doubt, but it is not all on him.

Outside of Schaub the biggest compliant i have is the play calling , the blocking has been ok given that we are mismatched in most places . If your behind 21 + points why are you running ?

I still say the game would be completely different right now if the Texans were given that 4th down conversion on the opening drive. I'm not saying that the Texans would be winning this game, that would be a stretch with the way this defense has played, but it would be more respectable.

I'm generally willing to accept that momentum plays an enormous part in the game but I must disagree with you Ryan. I think we'd be right about here whether the Texans had gone down and scored 7 on that opening drive or had failed (as they apparently did) on the conversion. I thought he had it but the ruling on the field was that they didn't and I think that Gary challenging it was a stupid thing to do. The play was a QB keeper up the middle so what kind of an "angle" did he think he was going to get that could have overturned the ruling on the field? That was just retarded of Kubiak to waste a time out challenging that call. The thing is you must be able to let something go and move on. If the Texans are so mentally fragile that one failed 4th down conversion (even if it's a bad call and they got robbed) is going to turn them into this useless mob we saw trying to play football today then they're going to be lucky to win 6 games this year.

I think a team that plays this poorly is unprepared, lacking discipline, and poorly coached. What are the odds that we managed to go out and find approximately 50 guys who can't be coached into a system? I think they're much worse than the odds that we have people coaching them who can't get the job done. Now Alex Gibbs I think has time on his side. Whatever changes are being implemented I can see it taking a few games to get going. On the other side of the ball "Dick" is a loser who needs to go.

Remember, Drew Brees looked like crap last year against the Titans. He had like 3 int and 1 TD or something.

Anyways, Schuab is our guy for the rest of the year. Kubes is going to ride or die with the guy. If he doesn't perform well the rest of the year, then we're likely to see one of our top picks used on a QB of the future next draft. But I'm not ready to give up on Schuab yet, even though he was completely disappointing in this game.

Last edited:
Agree completely. And we had What, like 25 yds. on the ground through three Qrts? that's inexcusable, and you're not going to have a succesful passing game with that lack of production from your running game. But, I'm not going to push the panic button yet. I think our running game will come along as the season progresses, which will take more pressure of our passing game.

Last edited:
Remember, Drew Brees looked like crap last year against the Titans. He had like 3 int and 1 TD or something.

Anyways, Schuab is our guy for the rest of the year. Kubes is going to ride or die with the guy. If he doesn't perform well the rest of the game, then we're likely to see one of our top picks used on a QB of the future next draft. But I'm not ready to give up on Schuab yet, even though he was completely disappointing in this game.

Yup. What I think people will start to zone in on more frequently is Schaub's propensity for making bad decisions in every single game. He made risky/bad decisions in every game he played last year. The difference between risky and bad is whether or not you get away with it. He got away with a few last year, especially with AJ and Andre Davis bailing him out. His development in that area will determine what type of conversation we're having at year's end about Schaub.

If he doesn't perform well the rest of the game, then we're likely to see one of our top picks used on a QB of the future next draft. But I'm not ready to give up on Schuab yet, even though he was completely disappointing in this game.

PLEASE, DO NOT OVERPAY FOR QB!!!

That has been one of the problems the Texans have had from the very beginning.

Build the lines and a get a secondary first.

PLEASE, DO NOT OVERPAY FOR QB!!!

That has been one of the problems the Texans have had from the very beginning.

Build the lines and a get a secondary first.

That what we are already in the process of doing. We drafted Brown, we got Gibbs, we got 3 out of 5 good/going to be good linemens already.

I'm not saying get a high-price QB and throw him in with the offense next year. We're going to have atleast two more years of Schuab, while the new QB learns. This could be a Brees/Phillips situation in 2 years though. But better safe then sorry. But it'll all depends on how Schuab do this year, I just hope Kubes/Smith have the balls to admit their mistake if Schuab does underperforms.

To repeat history:

I started out last year by blasting the trade for Schaub. I hated it then. I changed my mind and then became a Schaub supporter. Then I changed my mind again and became a sort of pussified "well, it might not have been a good idea, but let's wait for the new season to start" kind of guy.

The season has started, and I'm not liking it. Another week or two of this crap and I'm gonna go right back to my roots of hating the Schaub trade. It's hell to be a fickle fan, but's it's easy to do when you are losing and looking like crap.

How about not having another QB EVER wearing number 8 can be a start. It should be retired because it is like a black hole of suck that has a half life of 1,000 years.

lol, I thought of this while driving home from watching that gawd awful football travesty, and was going to post it somewhere.

That what we are already in the process of doing. We drafted Brown, we got Gibbs, we got 3 out of 5 good/going to be good linemens already.

I'm not saying get a high-price QB and throw him in with the offense next year. We're going to have atleast two more years of Schuab, while the new QB learns. This could be a Brees/Phillips situation in 2 years though. But better safe then sorry. But it'll all depends on how Schuab do this year, I just hope Kubes/Smith have the balls to admit their mistake if Schuab does underperforms.

The last thing this team needs right now needs is an expensive QB.

From day one, the Texans should have went cheap and went for a serviceable QB in 2002 and choose to swing for the fence again with Schaub.

I am not laying all the problems on the QB decisions or the players themselves, but you wrap it up into other mistakes made and the QB play, and it just exposes the QB inadequacies and that we are expecting too much from them.

My point is, the main priorities of this orangization are the problem. The top two priorities I see are 1.) Poster type QB for public consumption and 2.) All players are lovable community first types with no off-field issues.

Exactly...Sage would not have been able to do any better against the Pittsburg D.

granted it's not all on schaub, but I think if he comes out a lays an egg next week, that you have to give sage a shot.......

I still have faith in Schaub and like him as our qb, but today did shake my confidence in him. I swear we had another #8 playing for us, similar to one who didn't get rid of the ball quick enough and didn't feel the rush coming. I actually thought our oline protected him pretty well in the first half, it was just Matt not getting rid of it fast enough. I think he and the rest of the team bounce back and we get a W next week.

I know that I have been and still am in the minority when I've thrown my hat into the ring for "Sage for President." However, when I hear that "Sage would not have done any better" today, I would have to challenge that statement. With pressure, and this is certainly not the first game I've observed this, Schaub simply looked SCARED............... frequently stutter stepping from side to side, not being able to make a decision as to what to do with the ball, making poor decisions constantly throwing into coverage........sometimes even into triple coverage, and not reading clearly open second option receivers........not just plain throwing the ball away or simply "eating it." It wasn't always that he was hurried, as he had adequate time on a number of those plays. Who does all this remind me of????????..........the same man that he ripped that #8 Texans uniform off of. I could have squinted hard at the TV monitor and been taken back to the days of yesteryear. In contrast, I have never seen Sage in the SCARED mode. Yes, he has on occasion like many good QBs made that "poor decision," but he has never deteriorated to "scared" mode.

One argument, I no longer want to hear is "There's a reason why Sage is only a backup." For whatever arguments you want to make using the Vick debacle, Atlanta recognized it evidently long before Houston did that "There's a reason why Schaub was only a backup." As has been said by many, including Kubiak, Sage could be a starter for many other teams...............and it's about time that people wake up to the fact that the Texans are on that list.

I think Sage would've done better in the first game. One thing Sage has over Schuab is consistency. He's a game manager, and always have been. Schuab is a big-play QB, which is why he's our starting QB. I'm just hoping he can find his rhythm soon. I never want to see a performance like that ever again.

I wouldn't worry about Schuab right now, He played bad against a great defense. Look over the tape and correct your mistakes. But if he keeps performing like this up to the bye-week , then I think it's safe to press the panic button and start flipping out.

Tony Romo looks pretty good & he went undrafted, aquired by the Cowboys as a free agent out of Eastern Illinois :whip:

I think Sage would've done better in the first game. One thing Sage has over Schuab is consistency. He's a game manager, and always have been.

I disagree.

Everything I've seen from sage has told my brain the opposite.

Sage is more gunslinger than game manager.

I disagree.

Everything I've seen from sage has told my brain the opposite.

Sage is more gunslinger than game manager.

My thoughts as well. When he's made to play the game manager he can be very good at it but I don't see that as his first instinct. He gets some success and gets a little wild and throws that interception just as good as Schaub.

I bet Minnesota is kicking themselves in the @ss for not giving us a 2nd rounder for Sage. Who knows maybe they might throw a good trade offer for him now. Maybe we could offer either one (let them pick one) of our QB's Matt or Sage for a stud defensive player or a high draft pick and we could then resign Shane Boyd for our backup.

My thoughts as well. When he's made to play the game manager he can be very good at it but I don't see that as his first instinct. He gets some success and gets a little wild and throws that interception just as good as Schaub.

There is a difference between Schaub and Sage though.

When Schaub throws a pick he gets a little timid and tries to settle down and not make any more mistakes.

When Sage throws a pick he shrugs it off and goes right back down the field. Its almost like he doesn't get rattled.

Sage has more of a warrior mentality than Schaub has got.

When Sage throws a pick he shrugs it off and goes right back down the field. Its almost like he doesn't get rattled.

Sage has more of a warrior mentality than Schaub has got.

Probably because he's a back-up and doesn't have much pressure on him...

Pretty easy to be care free when you aren't expected to be the man. I'm pretty sure if Sage was given a starting job he'd show some signs of nerves in tough situations.

For all you guys in here bashing Schaub, give it up! I mean, what the hell do expect your QB to do when he has no running game and no pass protection. E'body is on this "Start Sage" bandwagon and it's senseless. What the hell do you think Sage would have done in that game? Gotten beat up just like Schaub did. He made one really stupid mistake. Besides that, we got down early and had to pass more to try and come back. You simply can't do that against a defense like Pittsburgh. I think it has more to do with him wearing #8 than anything. And you people comparing him to David Carr? Are you f&*^%*g serious?!? Schaub had a bad game against a pretty solid defense. Carr had bad..well, it's David Carr! Has it been that long, since you all can't seem to remember how bad he really was. Ridiculous! I think Schaub will be fine. The o-line will take some time to mold with three new starters (one being a rookie). If we can produce any semblence of a running game this week against the Ravens, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that Schaub will look like the QB that I think he is. He's a solid player. He just had a bad outing, which can be said about a lot of other players on the team right now.

Back