Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

QBs Available to Draft

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I think it is time to look at what options we have at QB in this draft.

Guys I think we should look at are:
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
Troy Smith, Ohio State
Kevin Kolb, University of Houston
Colt Brennan, Hawaii
John Beck, BYU
JeMarcus Russell, LSU

These are just some guys I like.

We might not want to go first round QB, but it's a possibility.

Share who you think would be good for us.

Kevin Kolb we could possibly get him in the third round and he could develop into a solid nfl qb. And he would be a home town guy that people always seem to want:bananasplit:

The way I see it Kolb goes in the 2nd. 82 career TD passes in 4 years. 30 career INTs though. 756 career rushing yards 21 TDS. He had 15 in one season, and 15 in the other three. 12,578 career passing yards. He seems like the best Senior QB after the dropoff of Brady Quinn. I can't see him dropping past the 2nd.

Colt Brennan with 88 career TD passes in 2 years. 24 career INTs. 9,291 career passing yards. He is only a Junior. He had 53 TD passes this year.

I think it is time to look at what options we have at QB in this draft.

Guys I think we should look at are:
Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
Troy Smith, Ohio State
Kevin Kolb, University of Houston
Colt Brennan, Hawaii
John Beck, BYU
JeMarcus Russell, LSU

These are just some guys I like.

We might not want to go first round QB, but it's a possibility.

Share who you think would be good for us.

Quinn- No. He is overrated (still the best in this class but not as good as everyone thinks. He would be rated 4th or 5th now if he was thrown in with last year's QBs) and I dont want a QB in the 1st.

Brohm- No. Not unless he falls to the 2nd.

Smith- No. Not unless he falls to the 3rd.

Kolb- Yes. Only in the 3rd tho.

Russell- No. Talented but makes wayyy too many mistakes.

Beck/Brennan- No. They are talented but I dont like drafting system QBs.

Beck/Brennan- No. They are talented but I dont like drafting system QBs.

Well Kolb is a system QB.

Kolb- Yes. Only in the 3rd tho.

I think it's good to get system QBs. Teaches QBs how to read defenses.

You've got to think Kolb can read defenses darn well. Playing under the same system during highschool and college he knew where all the receivers were going to be...it's just about reading the defense and figuring out which one was open. I think he, and those two other QBs have done that very well.

So far Kolb has 27 tds this season and only 3 ints.

All three ints this season bounced right off his receiver's hands.

All three ints this season bounced right off his receiver's hands.

I didn't know that much...that is very impressive. You have to be a master of reading defenses if that is the case. Peyton Manning was the master of reading defenses coming out of college. A little similarity there.

Justin Rascati, James Madison. Take a look if you have time.

Looks like a late rounder potential. 52 career TD passes 24 INTs.

Could you tell us a bit about the player. From what I can see he is a Senior at age 22 6-2 220. Good runner it looks like. 1,256 career rushing yards 26 TDs, with 518 this season 5TDs.

Looks like a late rounder potential. 52 career TD passes 24 INTs.

Could you tell us a bit about the player. From what I can see he is a Senior at age 22 6-2 220. Good runner it looks like. 1,256 career rushing yards 26 TDs, with 518 this season 5TDs.

Sure, dont have any written stuff on him, just what I have seen.

Pros: Very mobile. Extremely smart decisions. Good leader, I think he has only lost 10 games or so. Great Accuracey

Cons: Played D1AA. Loses confindence in his recievers at times, choosing to run instead.

I have no idea why everyone in Texans underrates Troy Smith. Mark my words, he is going to be a phenominal NFL QB.

Kolb seems like a reasonable choice. Has talent and upside, he would come in the 3rd so the expectation wouldn't be to start for a year or two. Carr isn't going anywhere until at least the end of the 07 season, so it would make sence to take a more developmental guy and have him sit for 1-2 years.

So, no one would consider Chris Leak? The guy throws the best ball out of all of them. I'm not saying that he's the answer, but I'm willing to gamble on that guy, because he has a whole lot of upside. Oh, and Russell is a hometown guy too.

So, no one would consider Chris Leak? The guy throws the best ball out of all of them. I'm not saying that he's the answer, but I'm willing to gamble on that guy, because he has a whole lot of upside. Oh, and Russell is a hometown guy too.

Well...about Chris Leak. I like him. I guess. A little bit. He just seems scared sometimes in the pocket. Makes horrible decisions under pressure pretty consistantly. Through something like 13 INTs this year. He's ok in my book...I wouldn't draft him. We need better than OK.

What about Drew Tate? I don't know where he's projected to get drafted, but I'm thinking he was probably part of the reason Iowa went 6-6 this season. Anyone know much about him?

What about Drew Tate? I don't know where he's projected to get drafted, but I'm thinking he was probably part of the reason Iowa went 6-6 this season. Anyone know much about him?

Drew Tate is a hard guy to project. He shows flashes of great QB play, but can breakdown, get upset and make mistakes. His coach said this one time and I noted it.

He can run pretty well, alot like David Carr. He's also got a good arm, but I am not so sure about his ability to read defenses. I'd say it was average...above average at best.

I don't know if the hometown you are refering to is Houston but Jamarcus is from Mobile, AL, unless he moved there when he was a kid. Another guy to look at is Drew Stanton. I don't really like him (reminds me of Drew Tate but a little better), but he is considered one of the better senior QBs and will be talked about during draft time.

Chirs Leak is so talented but he just plays scared and will make a lot of mistakes if you get any preasure on him, plus he is very short. with our line i wouldn't touch him, thats a bad combination. however, like leachmtb said, he thorws the best football of any QB at any level.

I would really like to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round. Right now, it looks like the Carr experiment isn't going so well, and we have to build a back-up plan in case Carr doesn't pan out (highly likely). We have a whole lot to fix on this team, so I'd rather not waste a high draft pick on a QB. And I'm sure Kubes will give Carr another year at least as well.

Personnally, I'd love to get Leak as our 3rd round pick. Got to be the biggest bang for your buch if he drops that low. He might be the best QB from a purely physical standpoint.

Kevin Kolb we could possibly get him in the third round and he could develop into a solid nfl qb. And he would be a home town guy that people always seem to want:bananasplit:

No one on this board who hates Carr wants to "develop" a solid NFL QB. They all want to magically draft the next Bret Farve or Peyton Manning who can step on the ield and play every position to perfection.

No one on this board who hates Carr wants to "develop" a solid NFL QB. They all want to magically draft the next Bret Farve or Peyton Manning who can step on the ield and play every position to perfection.

I would like to develop a QB. Sometimes I think it is better that way. But I don't hate Carr, I just think he isn't all that great and we need a change.

I still think that Kolb should be our man. Let carr start the season, he is improving and could show after a year in this system that he can do it. If not then we could get kolb in the third or late second if need to(trade up in the draft) we will have a high second which I dont think he will go that high.

We could always do what the broncos did with cutler, since we seem to like to imitate them anyways (except in the win category). Anyways this is just my opinion and I think that it would bring in some fan support since we always pass up the home town favorite. On draft day I will be rooting for his name to be called for the Texans and hopefully he will be the Texans future QB.

I don't know if the hometown you are refering to is Houston but Jamarcus is from Mobile, AL, unless he moved there when he was a kid. Another guy to look at is Drew Stanton. I don't really like him (reminds me of Drew Tate but a little better), but he is considered one of the better senior QBs and will be talked about during draft time.

Chirs Leak is so talented but he just plays scared and will make a lot of mistakes if you get any preasure on him, plus he is very short. with our line i wouldn't touch him, thats a bad combination. however, like leachmtb said, he thorws the best football of any QB at any level.

Chris Leak has the absolute best motion and release I have ever seen. It it the perfect fundamental throw and is really pretty. Unfortunatly, as a QB, his presence is less than Carr's in the pocket.

Kolb in the third....

Or Second depending on his combine and workouts....

I think Kolb, Smith, and Quinn are the best three coming out in no particular order...

I have no idea why everyone in Texans underrates Troy Smith. Mark my words, he is going to be a phenominal NFL QB.

Best choice hands down. he has a gun, he's accuarate & mobile. Can also read defenses with the best of them. The ONLY knock on him is that he's a little too short. but hey tell that to Drew Brees.

Quinn is overated
Brennan, Kolb are all system QB's.
Brohm just looks fragile.

Chris Leak plays not to screw up........... & then ends up screwing up.
Tate is an emotional rollercoaster.......... not steady like a QB has to be.
Stanton seems like a good choice, but not good enough to be any higher than a late 2nd or a 3rd round guy.

Because he's a Buckeye and he is slightly under 6'1". If he were a Longhorn then we would hear nothing but "Draft Troy Smith NOW!". I tend to agree with you although one can never be sure about how any player will translate to the NFL. But if we are looking to draft another QB then that's the guy I want, not David Carr Pt. 2 a la Brady Quinn.

Let me say, I've enjoyed watching OSU this year and I think Troy Smith is a great college QB. I would be IRATE if we drafted him. I've come to terms with the Mario pick and I'm alright with that, but not if we draft a VY knock off in the next draft. That would be admitting a huge mistake and it would just be painfull to watch Texans play Tennessee. Heck, if we wanted to go that route - I think we would be just as well getting our hands on Reggie McNeal. We wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on him or pay much money. Last I heard he was on a practice squad somewhere. (Tell you something about my opinion of Troy as a pro prospect?)

Kolb seems like a reasonable choice. Has talent and upside, he would come in the 3rd so the expectation wouldn't be to start for a year or two. Carr isn't going anywhere until at least the end of the 07 season, so it would make sence to take a more developmental guy and have him sit for 1-2 years.

That would be so Houston to take the UH guy and let the UT guy get away. That would be hilarious to watch play out over the years.

IMO, we need Left Tackle, Corner and Defensive Tackle before QB. If Kolb is there at 4th, ok. System QB? The only non system QB is Vick who runs at a blink. Andre Ware was a system QB. His coach ran the run & shoot. Ware did as told. And did it very well.

That would be so Houston to take the UH guy and let the UT guy get away. That would be hilarious to watch play out over the years.

Something I'm willing to live with as a Texan fan.
:mario2:
Oh..and Gulley at FS too.

Let me say, I've enjoyed watching OSU this year and I think Troy Smith is a great college QB. I would be IRATE if we drafted him. I've come to terms with the Mario pick and I'm alright with that, but not if we draft a VY knock off in the next draft. That would be admitting a huge mistake and it would just be painfull to watch Texans play Tennessee. Heck, if we wanted to go that route - I think we would be just as well getting our hands on Reggie McNeal. We wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on him or pay much money. Last I heard he was on a practice squad somewhere. (Tell you something about my opinion of Troy as a pro prospect?)

Troy Smith is no VY "knock off" and is much better than Reggie McNeal.

I'm not saying it does.

I dont think their games compare at all.

The only reason they are compared is because they are both fast.

I know your not.

"The only reason they are compared is because they are both fast.". You know Vince Young had the same comparisons to Michael Vick. In another thread, one poster said it was racist because the only reason they were compared was because Vince Young is black. I just thought that was interesting. I agree, I think they are compared because of their speed.

I like the way Troy Smith throws when scrambling out of the pocket. I love his pocket presence.

Troy Smith is no VY "knock off" and is much better than Reggie McNeal.

You realize by "knock off" I meant they play a similar style of game. They are both extremely mobile, have a strong arm, and prefer to pass despite their running abilities. All I was saying was if that is what we were looking for - why not take the one that is 6'5" instead of the one that is 6'1"? Why not take the one that rushed for 1050 yards in his final season instead of 233? Why not take the one that threw for 3036 yards instead of 2507? (These stats do include a bowl game for Vince that Troy hasn't played yet.) The thing is, I'll be dissapointed if we passed on an exceptional player just to turn around and draft an inferior player of the same position the next year.

As for Reggie - I do think he has always been underrated. Of course, I don't really believe he's as good as Troy Smith but I don't think he's that far off. If he had a better team/coach in college I think things would have been a lot different for him. Give him a defense like Ohio State's that let him stay on the field more and a reciever like Ginn to throw at and you would have seen some different stats for him. Although his career 133.1 rating isn't to shabby all things considered.

Smith is awesome (and this is coming from a UT fan).

His height is going to hurt him in the NFL whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

If Brees was taller then he would be an absolute monster.

The shorter you are, the more arc you have to put on your short routes to get the ball over your o-line. You can't throw it as hard as a taller guy can because you have to angle it over the line. That is a fact.

There is an easy fix for this for Smith. He is a great athlete, so just move him around inside & outside the pocket and this will not be a problem.

He makes a few questionable decisions. He makes a few bad throws. Other than that, Smith is great.

Well Kolb is a system QB.

I think it's good to get system QBs. Teaches QBs how to read defenses.

You've got to think Kolb can read defenses darn well. Playing under the same system during highschool and college he knew where all the receivers were going to be...it's just about reading the defense and figuring out which one was open. I think he, and those two other QBs have done that very well.

See, thats what I dont understand about the whole system QB thing.

Is the definition yall are using for system QB:

System QB- A QB whose has average skills but has success due to the system and watered down playbook, and one that has no pocket or field presence

Because basically that is saying the QB is nothing but average and rather dumb and his successes are due to the team.

I mean Kolb had it easy playing in the same system in hs and college, and reading defenses makes everyone think of manning(not saying kolb will be a manning) and that sort of stuff doesnt make me think of an average qb.

And, isnt every QB a succcess due to the system around him? Aint it a team?

So what are yalls definition of system qb and why are yall using it in sort of a negative term. Not that texansseminole, you were using it negatively because obviosly you were promoting the term.

Or did I answer my own question?

I think Stanton is the guy we're looking for. He can push Carr from the start and will eventually become a very productive QB. The biggest thing I see from him when watching his games is his will to win, which is what we need on this team.

what I mean by system qb is a guy who more than likely is a product of the system. Guys who you really can't tell if it is the system that is making them look good or the actual skill level of the player. the problem with these types & in Particular what i have a problem with with kolb is that the offense is not pro-style & this is the only offense he's ever known. Not saying that he couldn't pick up another offense with ease but to spend a 1st day draft pick on him? i'm not comfortable with that especially when we have so many other needs.

a good example of a "system" qb to me is all of the T. Tech qb's of late; yeah they're putting up monster stats, but look at how many times they throw it & the sets that they use, mostly spread. Same thing with the Hawaii QB's. When we draft another QB i want a guy whose run a pro-style offense, fiery, & accurate.

So Brady Quinn is a system guy running a pro stlye offence, right?

To me no, b/c you can see lots of skill & potential there. But come on, being coached by a dubbed "offensive-genius" who has had tremendous success at the pro level & him putting up stats like he has bodes well for him. Now contrast that with a Kliff Kingsbury who is slow with an arm like a wet noodle.

You're right, I was thinking of the former LSU starter, I think it was Mauk (I don't remember how to spell it)

Thanks beerlover for the link.

There's that Kevin Huff fellow at 29. I'm tellin ya someone is going to bring the guy in as a transition prospect.

They got Kolb rated at 6. Now where does the sixth rated QB usually go ?
I think it is a roll of the dice pick. Wonder if he's invited to the SR. bowl ?

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2006/index.html

Thanks beerlover for the link.

There's that Kevin Huff fellow at 29. I'm tellin ya someone is going to bring the guy in as a transition prospect.

They got Kolb rated at 6. Now where does the sixth rated QB usually go ?
I think it is a roll of the dice pick. Wonder if he's invited to the SR. bowl ?

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2006/index.html

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=13052

Kevin Kolb. Conference USA offensive player of the year. Kevin Kolb is a fine pro prospect. His strengheths are his pocket awareness and his competitiveness. His weakness are a standard arm and a very poor accuracy while on the run. His foot mechanics while tring to throw on the run are terrible. Kevin Kolb is a pro pocket passer running a spread offense. I believe he is a legitment propsect. His feild vision and pocket presence make him more than a fair prospect. He throws a very nice deep ball. He reads through his progressions very well. I believe he will be a canidate for a team that runs a verical game like Oakland, Arizona, Cincinati, or Green Bay. I expect him to go late day one, early day two as a back up prospect for one of these teams. The only thing that will hold the guy back is his accuracy. JMHO.

Back