Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

QB Matt Schaub going on IR. Texans signing QB Kellen Clemens.

Probably the best move for the team, say you rush Schaub back to play in the first playoff game, how the hell can you start him over the guy who's managed to get your team over the line, given that he's going to be rusty as hell and probably not 100% healthy?

John McClain confirms the signing:

Texans place Schaub on injured reserve, sign Clemens as 3rd QB

The Texans signed veteran quarterback Kellen Clemens today.

Of the five quarterbacks who worked out Monday, Clemens was the most likely candidate to be signed because he knows coach Gary Kubiak’s system. Clemens, a former second-round pick by the New York Jets, spent camp and preseason with the Washington Redskins. With coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, the Redskins run the same system as the Texans run.

The Texans signed Clemens over Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards, Brodie Croyle and Chase Clement.

Matt Leinart starts against Jacksonville in place of the injured Matt Schaub, who was placed on injured reserve. Rookie T.J. Yates will be the backup. Clemens will run the scout team until he proves to the coaches he’s ready to be elevated into the backup role in place of Yates.

The dude's Wikipedia page has already been updated showing him as a member of the Houston Texans!

Good grief! Do some people sit around all day and automatically update Wiki pages, or something?

I'm trying to figure out why we signed Clemens though. Seems to me as the one that needed the most work. At least Matt L. can know now that if he plays well, he's also going to get to play in the playoffs.

John Clayton said Clemens to be QB2, but I think it would be more likely that the report Mojoman posted (Stating Yates is QB2 and Clemens QB3) is more reliable.

Makes more sense, obviously, to have Yates as QB2 until Clemens grasps our own playcalls. The system is the same, but the terminology is different.

I think Clayton was saying Orton will make a bit over $2 million with whatever new team he signs with. I am assuming the salary cap played a bit of a factor in not pursuing Orton.

We've got a QB3 now, so let's hope Leinart handles the offense well enough AND that QB2 and QB3 do not have to hit the field unless it's garbage time.

I'm trying to figure out why we signed Clemens though. Seems to me as the one that needed the most work. At least Matt L. can know now that if he plays well, he's also going to get to play in the playoffs.

Why? He's the guy that spent the pre-season in Washington and so he's got a head-start on our system over the rest of the guys.

Clements seemed to me like the guy with the most outside shot. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him to the PS.

John McClain confirms the signing:

Of the five quarterbacks who worked out Monday, Clemens was the most likely candidate to be signed because he knows coach Gary Kubiak’s system. Clemens, a former second-round pick by the New York Jets, spent camp and preseason with the Washington Redskins. With coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, the Redskins run the same system as the Texans run.

Who did the Redskins have such that they cut Clemens?

Given what Cloak had said, he won't be ready to play until well AFTER the season is over.

Yeah, isn't there like almost a full year involved? Seems like that's what I heard.

Texans need to go QB in round 1, period. I don't care if you think you get a guy in round 2. You go round 1 to make sure you get a round 2 (or later) guy.

With this defense, with this offense, and with Schaub being gone for a long, long time...you need to identify a college QB you think can be the future here. This isn't a Matt Schaub "Hate Parade" here, it's just common sense and logic.

With this defense, with this offense, and with Schaub being gone for a long, long time...you need to identify a college QB you think can be the future here. This isn't a Matt Schaub "Hate Parade" here, it's just common sense and logic.

how about we let leinart throw one pass first

how about we let leinart throw one pass first

Leinart could become Tom Brady, Jr. for all I care...but he can get hurt just like Schaub did. Poof, Leinart's gone. What do you do THEN?

Do you therefore go find Kellen Clemens-type street free agents??? No way, Jose.

Draft him, and draft early. He doesn't have to be Superman...he just needs to have the stuff Kubiak likes to see in his QBs.

I would've picked up Chase Clement for the story, didn't he go to Rice?

I mean whoever is the 3rd QB getting signed 11 weeks into the season...if they're getting meaningful snaps we're toast anyway. Same for Kellen Clemens. If he's really about to oust TJ Yates back to the scout team then ol' boy needs to be cut anyway. Depth is for players who actually have a shot at being successful, much like Leinart.

Leinart could become Tom Brady, Jr. for all I care...but he can get hurt just like Schaub did. Poof, Leinart's gone. What do you do THEN?

Do you therefore go find Kellen Clemens-type street free agents??? No way, Jose.

Draft him, and draft early. He doesn't have to be Superman...he just needs to have the stuff Kubiak likes to see in his QBs.

We may already have the guy with Yates.

We may already have the guy with Yates.

Also, if Schaub doesn't come back 100%, he can still be a very good back-up since he already has "all the stuffs Kubiak likes to see in his QBs".

Looks like they like TY Yates!?!

Yes , Gary really likes Yates potential and thinks he could eventually become a solid starter in the league.
The fact they didnt go after one of the veteran QB's available should tell you a whole lot about their belief in both Yates and Leinart.

John Clayton said Clemens to be QB2, but I think it would be more likely that the report Mojoman posted (Stating Yates is QB2 and Clemens QB3) is more reliable.

Makes more sense, obviously, to have Yates as QB2 until Clemens grasps our own playcalls. The system is the same, but the terminology is different.

I think Clayton was saying Orton will make a bit over $2 million with whatever new team he signs with. I am assuming the salary cap played a bit of a factor in not pursuing Orton.

We've got a QB3 now, so let's hope Leinart handles the offense well enough AND that QB2 and QB3 do not have to hit the field unless it's garbage time.

Yates will be the #2 and Clemens likely the scout team QB which is what Yates has done thus far.

No way Clemens coms in and takes the #2 spot from Yates not knowing the offense. Yates has earned the opportunity with his preperation all season long that according to Gary.

The dude's Wikipedia page has already been updated showing him as a member of the Houston Texans!

Good grief! Do some people sit around all day and automatically update Wiki pages, or something?

Come on now, if you checked it and found it missing that bit of information wouldn't you have updated it? I would.

Yeah, isn't there like almost a full year involved? Seems like that's what I heard.

Texans need to go QB in round 1, period. I don't care if you think you get a guy in round 2. You go round 1 to make sure you get a round 2 (or later) guy.

If Leinart does well he might very well be starting come opening day.

I'm not saying this is going to necessarily happen, just that this is exactly the kind of situation where things like this happen.

Well that sucks. Not unexpected but still sucks. I told a few people right after the last game that not only were the Texans playoff contenders but they were real super bowl contenders. That is very likely down the drain, but we should still make the playoffs pending the play of Leinart who I am not sold on.

I don't think it takes Matt S a full year, but who knows. I tend to think he is at or near 100% before camp rolls around. Pushing the panic button now is a little weird to say the least. Even I say let's give Matt L a chance to prove his doubters wrong.

Well that sucks. Not unexpected but still sucks. I told a few people right after the last game that not only were the Texans playoff contenders but they were real super bowl contenders. That is very likely down the drain, but we should still make the playoffs pending the play of Leinart who I am not sold on.

I don't think it takes Matt S a full year, but who knows. I tend to think he is at or near 100% before camp rolls around. Pushing the panic button now is a little weird to say the least. Even I say let's give Matt L a chance to prove his doubters wrong.
That's where I'm at. I figure we can limp into the playoff with Hot Tub Matt, but we're finished once the "real" season starts.

Will he be ready to go by the time of the draft?
Given what I've heard, I strongly doubt it. I'm thinking (if we're lucky), Schaub might be ready to go by regular-season next year.

I would've picked up Chase Clement for the story, didn't he go to Rice?

I mean whoever is the 3rd QB getting signed 11 weeks into the season...if they're getting meaningful snaps we're toast anyway. Same for Kellen Clemens. If he's really about to oust TJ Yates back to the scout team then ol' boy needs to be cut anyway. Depth is for players who actually have a shot at being successful, much like Leinart.

Word is Clemens will run the scout team until he shows he's up to speed on our offense.

haha smh at the doofus reporter that asked kubiak after practice if schaub could be back for the playoffs after kubiak had talked about surgery & IR etc

Soooo you don't think Yates is that guy...??
The main reason Clements was picked up was as insurance for the rest of this year.

For the record, I'm for upgrading our "QB of the Future" myself. Unlike some others, I didn't see anything in Yates this preseason to make me think he's worthy of being Schaub's heir-apparent. I would be pleased if they used a 3rd or 4th for a QB. I'd rather use our 1st or 2nd pick on someone who has a chance to start; preferably a WR to challenge J.J. or K.W. or a NT that will challenge Cody for his spot.

But that's a different conversation; better discussed in the mock draft threads.

This conversation is about the present, not the future. This conversation concerns quality of Leinart's backups in case they're needed THIS year.

If I were the Texans, it would depend on how Leinart does. If he goes all USC this season, including the playoffs, then that's our QB. Draft a stud WR in the first round if that is the case and then trade Schaub.

Anyone looked at Clemens stats yet?

Yikes!

My first thought was: Why did they even bother signing this guy?

But then, what the hell do I know....

From 2006 through 2010
25 games played
147 completions
284 attempts
51.8%
1,686 yeards
5.94 ypa
5 TDs
11 Ints
5 fumbles
59.7 rating

Last edited:

Yikes!

From 2006 through 2010
25 games played
147 completions
284 attempts
51.8%
1,686 yeards
5.94 ypa
5 TDs 56
11 Ints
5 fumbles
59.7 rating

To run the scout team. Don't need a world beater for that.

Yikes!

From 2006 through 2010
25 games played
147 completions
284 attempts
51.8%
1,686 yeards
5.94 ypa
5 TDs 56
11 Ints
5 fumbles
59.7 rating

Wow a 3.2:1 turn over to td ratio.

If I were the Texans, it would depend on how Leinart does. If he goes all USC this season, including the playoffs, then that's our QB. Draft a stud WR in the first round if that is the case and then trade Schaub.

Let's wait and see how Leinart looks but my basic plan for the upcoming draft is:

Draft a stud WR in the first round. Draft a stud ILB in the second. BPA after that.

This assumes that Schaub and/or Leinart are going to be good and available for the next few years.

I meant Yates. If he gets knocked down by some scrub who couldn't make it onto a team until week 11? That's enough writing on the wall for me.

That takes us back to GP's point about picking up a quality "QB of the Future" in the upcoming draft. If Yates can't hold his 2nd string spot over a guy who's been sitting at home most of the year, then wouldn't be surprised even a little bit if we drafted a Yates replacement unit in April 2012.

Oh and someone remind me, aren't both Schaub and Leinart under contract thru next year...?? I don't remember...

Sign SAGE!!

:runaway:

sage.jpg

To be more accurate you could just use the first letter of his name and make a helicopter movement.

That takes us back to GP's point about picking up a quality "QB of the Future" in the upcoming draft. If Yates can't hold his 2nd string spot over a guy who's been sitting at home most of the year, then wouldn't be surprised even a little bit if we drafted a Yates replacement unit in April 2012.

Oh and someone remind me, aren't both Schaub and Leinart under contract thru next year...?? I don't remember...

Schaub I thought was done this year and Leinart done next year

7/29/2011: Signed a two-year, $5.5 million contract. The deal includes $3.75 million guaranteed. 2011-2012: Under Contract, 2013: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3138/matt-leinart

3/21/2007: Signed a six-year, $48 million contract. The deal included a $7 million signing bonus and a $10 million option in the fourth season. 2011: $5.7 million, 2012: $7.15 million, 2013: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/matt-schaub

Let's wait and see how Leinart looks but my basic plan for the upcoming draft is:

Draft a stud WR in the first round. Draft a stud ILB in the second. BPA after that.

This assumes that Schaub and/or Leinart are going to be good and available for the next few years.

Excellent plan. I'm totally with you.

Apparently Fat Ass Albert feels no remorse! I F'in hate that dude. :cutthroat:

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub can blame Albert Haynesworth for ending his 2011 season. In his first game with the Buccaneers on Nov. 13, the beefy defensive tackle landed on Schaub’s foot. Schaub was placed on injured reserve on Wednesday.

With the Titans, Haynesworth injured Schaub at least twice when he tackled him. On Wednesday, in a conference call with Tennessee reporters, Haynesworth said: “You know me, I love to hit Schaub.”

Asked about landing on Schaub’s foot, Haynesworth had no trouble recalling the play: “It was on the goal-line. He actually screamed like normal in the pile.”

Link

Back