Put your eggs in one basket

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

It is past Easter but what one position is the key for Texans this season? Support your choice.

I am going with quarterback. If Schaub misses many games, we are in trouble. I really like Orslovsky but hope he does not have to get on field until way late in season. Rex? Well, he has better receivers but we still have nothing but Slaton to hand off to. TC will offer me unbridled hope for RB or crush me unmercifully. Schaub is the key to a deep play off run.

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Defensive Coordinator

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I was thinking player, but you do bring up a good point.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Defensive line

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yeah, I know, but IMO it's kind of hard to pinpoint one position for overall team improvement.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Don't take the easy way out. Which position? If Mario goes out is the season lost? Does Barwin give us a fall back that keeps us in the game? If Okoye proves to not have had just a sophomore slump and TJ is ..well TJ do we have another poor year stopping the run? Is that enough to keep us out of the playoffs? Can Kube's survive even a 9-7 season?

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Sure but the team or even one side of the ball can be better and the season is lost if one player is out. Where would we have been if Mario had missed the entire season? Or Myers? Many knock him, but what would the offense have been if White had to replace Myers for 16 games? See what I mean?

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

Secondary.

Let's say for example that the rookies and Antonio Smith start a little slow and Mario is again the only guy bringing the heat for the first 5 weeks or so. Well then you start using the improved group of LBs to put on the heat by brining a guy here and there. Overall you are leaving the secondary out there and hoping the can cover when the others aren't getting there. No matter what strides were made in the past the secondary always was suspect. If it takes some gelling up front you need the secondary to hold the fort and support their weight to stop games from being a shootout. I guess you can say my explanation should mean my answer is D-line but they go hand in hand in my book.

9. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Nobody can replace Mario on Defense.
    Nobody can replace A.J. on Offense.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Actually, Andre Davis did replace AJ and did a fine job.

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Not by a LONG LONG shot, my friend!

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Defensive Tackle. If they preform, we should end up with a top 10 D, and a playoff berth. If not, 8-8 again.

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Well, it's not the easy way out. I think the defensive line - as a whole - needs to step up it's game and put some consistent pressure on our opponents' passing game. Our secondary is not good enough to hold coverage if the QB never feels pressured, which has seemed to be one of the defense's problems the last couple of years.

I feel confident about Mario (obviously), so if I had to go position, I'd say defensive tackle. Will they be able to put any pressure up the middle and stop the run? This will be the key to our defense improving, IMO.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Free Safety

If we lose Wilson, our secondary will be in a world of hurt. Probably the one position that we do not have depth at.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, the offense kept afloat after AJ went down a couple years ago. Mario's been a part of a poorly run defense and has been a beast, but has he alone made our defense better overall? Nah, our D has been consistantly bad since 03.

*Disclaimer* This statement is meant for discussion only. By no means does HOU-TEX want to see us lose MW or AJ.

I don't think anybody's irreplacable. The NFL's like the circle of life, lol. Sure, they are badass players, but they can and will eventually be replaced.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

After reading the posts on this thread, I'm expecting a couple of eggs to be broken when the basket is dropped. Makes me remember the old saying that one cannot make an omelet without breaking eggs... but it is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet. Reminds me of the past. Hopefully, this year we are amazed how few "busts" will occur and still lead to a decent team.:pirate:

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I'm trying to find a comparison.
    Perhaps like... A.J. is not quite Kobe, and A.D. is not quite Artest.

But if I have to pick one position and one position only, I will have to go with Mario.
    At this point in time, I don't think we can afford him not being in the line-up.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yes for the games he replaced AJ , Davis did very well leading him to signing a new contract for a very nice dollar value. I understand that he is faster than AJ. I realize it was not for an entire season but he did very well. I am not saying Davis is the better guy. Far from it, yet if AJ is lost for the season, our corps of receivers are solid. I think Mario is much more important to the team this season than AJ.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Thanks and very well said. Do you agree with me that if Mario is lost for the season, the playoffs are out of reach?

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Do you think Kubes would move Glover Quinn to FS if Wilson is out? I like Quinn in that position.