Props to the D

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by alphajoker, Nov 18, 2007.

1. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

They put a lot pressure on Brees and the secondary took advantage with a couple of picks. Mario played like a man with something to prove and their run defense helped keep Bush in check the whole time. Nice game! :d:

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

After all the hating that has been done about our defense, and I will put my hand up as a hater, they made a difference out there today....

Pressure + TO's = Wins.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

The secondary was the biggest surprise to me. They were blanketing receivers.

I can't even recall a single PI call against us or many penalties either. Overall a great job by the D today. I would've like to have seen Amobi make a play, he's been quiet lately.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I was impressed with Bennett overall

The TD grab against him or whoever was the main responsibility for that. I am not sure

if he went back to the corner to cover that guythat caught the TD Pass, Brees probably would have thrown it to to Colston (who Bennett bit on) and we'd be asking ourselves why the heck would we not be on Colston esp with LB trailing colston (if I remember the replay Correctly)

5. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Yeah, on the play Bennet got faked, Colston was open, with a defender trailing behind him. However, it WAS Bennet's fault for allowing his man to get that wide open, but hey, he's a rookie, he's going to make these mistakes, better get used to em

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Seemed to me that Bennet thought he had coverage over the top by a safety. Not sure he was supposed to have it or not, but it looked like he just let the guy go and was moving up on Colston.

7. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

I thought it looked like CC was suppose to cover Henderson on that play. Either way, it was a communication breakdown.

The D played exceptional. :texflag:

8. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

The DBs hit really hard, too.

Impressive effort by these guys. Good team play and some really nice individual plays.

Mario and his Reggie tackles and fumble/sack - he played like a man possessed.

Fred Bennett is getting better every week.

Will Demps is a tough, hard hitter. I like this pickup by Rick Smith.

9. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

The D really showed us something today, GREAT JOB GUYS! Mario, Demeco, and the gang really showed up. Our patchwork secondary did pretty good against a good offense. It seems we got pressure on the QB at the right times, not quite enough overall but at key possesions that made a difference.

10. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Mario probably shut up some of those ESPN junkies.

But He HAS to follow this game up with a big game. Too many times he has a good game where he is very active and then the next week he just disappears. If we can get him to play like he did today consistently, then we got our #1 picks worth, he played like a manchild out there.

11. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Props to everyone! Wooo!! What a game..WAY TOO many Saints Fans but we showed them up! We were loud and proud and we dominated..what a great game!:texflag:

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Maybe the Dunta injury is a blessing for the defense... We played a lot more zone defense this game. It's the best the secondary has looked, probably not by coincidence. I expect to see a lot of zone from here on out.

13. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Yeah, we played man with the corners sometimes because you have Dunta out there, you trust him to shut down one guy. We play another good passing team next week, can't wait to see how we do.

14. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

The D played much better today. I still want Richard Smith gone though.

15. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I recall he was about 1/2 an inch away from getting a sack today, but yeah, your right. He needs to get on the stat sheet fast. O_O

16. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

I'd like to look at the stats for points allowed in 2nd halfs all year, cause we shut teams down in the 2nd. Today they threw up a 0...way to go kids.

17. brickman

brickman Rookie

The D played with intensity and a swagger today. It was like "give us your best stuff, and we're gonna shut you down". They looked like a completely different defense today. Let's hope it continues the rest of the season, because they are young and only going to get better.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

WTG D for having a good game yesterday.

However, not to wet blanket too much, but uh, the Saints shot themselves in the foot a lot.

Key drops. Tipping balls up.

But it was encouraging to see the defense not looking obviously goonlike (with guys getting wide open) and I would like to see more of that.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

So does this mean we don't have to fire Richard Smith now after the season ?

Well If Mario is doing what he's supposed to do, Amobi's presences should be diminished just a bit. Remeber where we are at. Week twleve in a pro schedule. They've already played a college season. And they got six to go. All rookies hit the wall. Okoye's no different. Just be patient.

20. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

So which is our real defense?

I never know what to expect. Sometimes we look good, even great, like a top 10 D. We impose our will on opposing offenses and capitalize on mistakes.

Other games we look flat awful, and there aren't a lot of "in-between" showings. So which are we?

No doubt AJ being in the game (and our offense sustaining some drives, giving the D a rest) made a difference, but really ... can we figure ourselves out?

Also wanted to mention our CBs looked good yesterday!