Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Proper Rebuild

What is the incentive of making up a story about a nobody named Jack Easterby? This is where your assumption falls apart. I do not see SI regularly making up and printing cover stories about random and relatively unknown front office executives.

that article is mostly an opinion piece & it came on the heels of the most lopsided trade in history. A trade so bad it was worth probing as to how & why it happened. In that regard, you don't need to make up anything..... all you need is a perspective & some insights from someone on the inside......or someone formally on the inside. Enter Nuk...helped along the way and off the record by folks like Amy Palcic both of whom probably gave them their opinions about what they think. & it wouldn't be hard to find others in an organization composed of 100's of people to find like minded opinions.

I respect your life experiences and knowledge, but it is anecdotal at best or completely irrelevant to the Houston Texans at worst.

Not at all actually....That is if you think NBC news & Pro Publica are irrelevant news outlets that can't stir up enough **** to force resignations and intensive state regulatory sanctions....largely based on stories written to present a certain biased and incomplete view of something.

Reality is Jack has made himself Littlefinger to Janice and Cal, so just like Bob McNair liked to make employment conditional, we can speculate just as easy that Jack is here because the owners want him here and then nothing else matters. I doubt Nick is going to argue about some overpaid character coach considering he's getting paid $6 million/year as GM.

See, I can use my own anecdotal experiences as a business owner to speculate and assume just like you can. It doesn't make either of us right. . .or wrong.

The point is a plethora of evidence points to Easterby being toxic, and very little evidence to believe that he's going to be integral to positive growth within.

"Since Jack has walked into that building, nothing good has happened in that building." ~ Andre Johnson #80

The reality is, there is no "plethora" of evidence against the dude only slanted opinions from disgruntled people.....& that you've bit hook line and sinker into believing exactly what the media & those behind it want you to think about him..the narrative just doesn't fit though if you look deeper. AJ's words only held weight in so much that he's been in the building.....but then he lost cred as soon as he popped up on twitter with DW4 telling him to "stand your ground!" in demanding a trade.............. 2 months after dude had just signed a massive extension to stay.....let alone all the other nonsense that was about to later drop against DW4. Fact is his word only counts so much b/c he's too close to the players & players ALWAYS side with players in situations like this.

The point is a plethora of evidence points to Easterby being toxic, and very little evidence to believe that he's going to be integral to positive growth within.

"Since Jack has walked into that building, nothing good has happened in that building." ~ Andre Johnson #80
Easterby toxic? To who? And why? Why should anything Easterby does impact, or be a concern, to the players? Unless it's something to do with this "culture" change?

I think drafting Thibodeaux with Greenard as his bookend is a great start to rebuilding the DL. Greenard has really impressed me this season. 7 sacks and he has missed games this season playing on a defense that is consistently playing from behind without another pass rush threat.

Put a premier talent like Thibodeaux on the other side and suddenly this defense looks a lot better. Especially if they overhaul the rest of the unit and maybe even re-sign Reid.

Man, I’m at a crossroads in regards to that 1st RD1 pick.

If Texans win Sunday, I think the Lions will secure the first pick….and Thibodeaux will be their guy.

I’m still a huge fan of Kyle Hamilton, SS Norte Dame. Rarely is there a Safety that combines his size, speed and athleticism into a single package. This guy would help take TE’s out and play like a Hybrid MLB in shutting down the run. He’s a ball hawk that will have no problem keeping up with SWR’s and/or WR’s when needed. A true enforcer at 6-4 and 220 lbs….not to mention may clock a low 4.4-40.

If the Texans are picking at 2 or 3…..then I’d no longer be at a crossroads b/c Hamilton would be holding a Texans jersey while standing next to Goodell.

Last edited:
Man, I’m at a crossroads in regards to that 1st RD1 pick.

If Texans win Sunday, I think the Lions will secure the first pick….and Thibodeaux will be their guy.

I’m still a huge fan of Kyle Hamilton, SS Norte Dame. Rarely is there a Safety that combines his size, speed and athleticism into a single package. This guy would help take TE’s out and play like a Hybrid MLB in shutting down the run. He’s a ball hawk that will have no problem keeping up with SWR’s and/or WR’s when needed. A true enforcer at 6-4 and 220 lbs….not to mention may clock a low 4.4-40.

If the Texans are picking at 2 or 3…..then I’d no longer be at a crossroads b/c Hamilton would be holding a Texans jersey while standing next to Goodell.

I'm hoping if they can't draft Thibodeaux they can trade down. This is a very deep defensive draft, particularly edge guys.

I'm hoping if they can't draft Thibodeaux they can trade down. This is a very deep defensive draft, particularly edge guys.

The Texans could hold the #2 or #3 pick in RD1-RD4…..which means they will get ample opportunities in each round to trade back for additional picks. Hamilton could be one of those generational type of players that I really wouldn’t want to miss out on if he’s there for the taking. It would be crazy if this guy adds NFL size (5-10 lbs), strength, and retains his speed in the process. He could be a versatile piece for any DC to weaponize. In my mind….a much bigger, stronger, and faster version of the Honey Badger.

The Texans could hold the #2 or #3 pick in RD1-RD4…..which means they will get ample opportunities in each round to trade back for additional picks. Hamilton could be one of those generational type of players that I really wouldn’t want to miss out on if he’s there for the taking. It would be crazy if this guy adds NFL size (5-10 lbs), strength, and retains his speed in the process. He could be a versatile piece for any DC to weaponize. In my mind….a much bigger, stronger, and faster version of the Honey Badger.

I would never pick a S at 1-2.

Those type picks are historically used on QB'S/edge/LT's for a reason. How many S in the history of the league have been chosen at 1-2?

Don't get me wrong, Hamilton is a top 5 player in this draft. The fact he could go top 5 is a testament to his talent. I can't think of another S that's ever gone in the top 5.

Sean Taylor was taken #5 overall as a FS. He was 6-2 @ 230 lbs and ran a 4.5-40 which was considered freakish at the time. He definitely left an impact at the position.

Kyle Hamilton is a versatile DB who fits at FS or SS. He’s 6-4 @ 220 lbs and is projected in the low 4.4-40 which is still considered freakish for the position. Some analyst have considered him a generational player.

Easterby toxic? To who? And why?

Perception matters. And right now the overwhelming perception by players, fans, and media, is this is not a good destination. So being unable to re-sign players, being unable to motivate players to want to play here, and being one of the last places that coaches and free agents want to work. . .yeah, all of that bad perception has a way of being toxic to a winning product.

Why should anything Easterby does impact, or be a concern, to the players?

Good question, but ultimately it's one that you would have to ask the guy that gave him so much power within the organization. And that guy is his BFF, Cal McNair.

Unless it's something to do with this "culture" change?

I've looked, and have been unable to find in NFL history, any championship team that put "culture" as a primary goal over other fundamental aspects of fielding a team.

Culture is usually the result of winning a lot of games, but the Texans are marketing 'culture' like they can sell it on a 3D souvenir soda cup.

But, time will ultimately tell.

Maybe the Texans are at the forefront of a new movement in the NFL that's like analytics was to MLB.

Maybe years from now their successes will lead the way for every front office to find themselves a VP of football operations devoted to building "culture" before they have any good players or good coaches. Maybe Cal McNair is a hidden genius and becomes the savior of the future of the NFL. Maybe we'll all be Easterboys one day.

Perception matters. And right now the overwhelming perception by players, fans, and media, is this is not a good destination. So being unable to re-sign players, being unable to motivate players to want to play here, and being one of the last places that coaches and free agents want to work. . .yeah, all of that bad perception has a way of being toxic to a winning product.

Good question, but ultimately it's one that you would have to ask the guy that gave him so much power within the organization. And that guy is his BFF, Cal McNair.

I've looked, and have been unable to find in NFL history, any championship team that put "culture" as a primary goal over other fundamental aspects of fielding a team.

Culture is usually the result of winning a lot of games, but the Texans are marketing 'culture' like they can sell it on a 3D souvenir soda cup.

Maybe the Texans are at the forefront of a new movement in the NFL that's like analytics was to MLB.

Maybe years from now their successes will lead the way for every front office to find themselves a VP of football operations devoted to building "culture" before they have any good players or good coaches. Maybe Cal McNair is a hidden genius and becomes the savior of the future of the NFL. Maybe we'll all be Easterboys one day.
Appreciate the reply.

I believe it was Wade Philips on 610 who was explaining that every team has a "culture". He went on and explained that the Texans are in the process of finding players who fit into their culture and it is not to be unexpected that players being cut or replaced who are not a fit would have negative things to say. I believe I may have heard him say that the Texans may be a bit more vocal about this.

It's all just something I don't pay much attention to nor care about. Casserio is only starting to mold and build the team that he wants and I'm willing to give him the time to accomplish it.

I think drafting Thibodeaux with Greenard as his bookend is a great start to rebuilding the DL. Greenard has really impressed me this season. 7 sacks and he has missed games this season playing on a defense that is consistently playing from behind without another pass rush threat.

Put a premier talent like Thibodeaux on the other side and suddenly this defense looks a lot better. Especially if they overhaul the rest of the unit and maybe even re-sign Reid.
I think the conundrum is building defense or offense? For me this may be the draft to go best player available days one and two at least. I still do not see any significant free agents this off season.

How can you build a culture with everyone on a 1 yr deal? The so called culture guys are going to be gone. In New England, alot of those players on that 01 team were left overs from the 96 team that lost the superbowl. I've never heard of a winning team talk about culture. Ravens had their best player involved in a homicide, Patriots had a dude killing people and they picked up a dude who ran over a dude drunk. Never heard about culture

How can you build a culture with everyone on a 1 yr deal? The so called culture guys are going to be gone. In New England, alot of those players on that 01 team were left overs from the 96 team that lost the superbowl. I've never heard of a winning team talk about culture. Ravens had their best player involved in a homicide, Patriots had a dude killing people and they picked up a dude who ran over a dude drunk. Never heard about culture

Good point.

But the Pats had leadership on some of those teams. Brady seems to be the only guy that can keep AB happy and sane.

I hate Brady. :tedc: :texan::)
But look at those eyes

Maureen_McCormick_.jpg

There were/are many more leaders on that team the Brady
Which makes the point that culture starts in the locker room among the team leaders who are talented, hard working, disciplined and can lead other players with their work ethic, play or vocal leadership.

No amount of Sandalwood incense, essential oils or cute sayings on placards in the lockers and on the walls will enable a front office executive to be the one driving the culture. I don't think Cal understands that point.

Last edited:
Which makes the point that culture starts in the locker room among the team leaders who are talented, hard working, disciplined and can lead other players with their work ethic, play or vocal leadership, No amount of Sandalwood incense, essential oils or cute sayings on placards in the lockers and on the walls will enable a front office executive to be the one driving the culture. I don't think Cal understands that point.
You wouldn’t believe how much you can make selling those kind of programs to big execs. They just love that kind of stuff. Especially if you can brand it with a catchy catch phrase.

As a matter of fact, I heard about this one guy landed a six year $36M deal & he didn’t even have a catch phrase. He just kept using words like process and respect. Then he’d move his hands as he talked like he was drawing a picture.

CEOs love that stuff

Which makes the point that culture starts in the locker room among the team leaders who are talented, hard working, disciplined and can lead other players with their work ethic, play or vocal leadership, No amount of Sandalwood incense, essential oils or cute sayings on placards in the lockers and on the walls will enable a front office executive to be the one driving the culture. I don't think Cal understands that point.

True

It's up to the GM to find these guys.

You wouldn’t believe how much you can make selling those kind of programs to big execs. They just love that kind of stuff. Especially if you can brand it with a catchy catch phrase.

As a matter of fact, I heard about this one guy landed a six year $36M deal & he didn’t even have a catch phrase. He just kept using words like process and respect. Then he’d move his hands as he talked like he was drawing a picture.

CEOs love that stuff

Caserio for a 1000. Lol

CEOs love that stuff

Don’t forget how much Osweiller made sounding like a franchise QB during interviews!

The gm needs to find players, real, legit, too flight nfl players. Right now, he's not doing that. What do you think players think when they see David Johnson and Rex Burkhead on the roster, the young guys?

This yr he added what he could when it came to young players.

KGH/Mills/Collins/Jordan/Wallow/Thomas/Lopez etc....

Kind of hard to add more than 6-10 young guys without rd 1-2 draft picks.

Culture is not tangible thats why he and Culley can get on the stage and talk a bunch of gibberish and follow up with coach speak. At least BOB had an acronym, STD 😆

Lol, Culture is very “tangible”…See “the patriot way” . But besides that, You talking out of both sides of your neck. Neither talent or culture is technically Quantifiable….which is what you mean… yet all you’ve really talked about in your criticism of what kind of players NC has on the roster is that he’s not brought in or hasn’t found young, “top flight” talent….Then you point to 1-2 guys to make your case while simultaneously complaining about getting rid of below average players like Onenihu. Make up your mind.

Also hard to add many players after OB handed out overpriced contracts to “tough, smart, dependable” culture fits from his reign of terror… and the franchise QB with a new deal taking up space on the cap.

Lol, Culture is very “tangible”…See “the patriot way” . But besides that, You talking out of both sides of your neck. Neither talent or culture is technically Quantifiable….which is what you mean… yet all you’ve really talked about in your criticism of what kind of players NC has on the roster is that he’s not brought in or hasn’t found young, “top flight” talent….Then you point to 1-2 guys to make your case while simultaneously complaining about getting rid of below average players like Onenihu. Make up your mind.
Talent is easy to see my friend. You can see old guys who can't play like David Johnson and Burkhead. Or old guys who were on the couch like Amendola and Cannon. You've never heard me complain about guys who can actually play like M. Collins or to a certain extent Taylor. Culture is gibberish, talent and coaches matter more

Reclamation projects. There are tons of talented young players that could use a change of scenery, correct? I've posted before about this, I'm not a big fan of where he was drafted, but Trubisky has alot of physical talent and he has starts under his belt. There are alot of 1st or 2nd rd players like that floating around. We will see when he has a full draft like he has coming up.

Talent is easy to see my friend. You can see old guys who can't play like David Johnson and Burkhead. Or old guys who were on the couch like Amendola and Cannon. You've never heard me complain about guys who can actually play like M. Collins or to a certain extent Taylor. Culture is gibberish, talent and coaches matter more

easy when you’re that much better..not so much when you’re looking for scheme fits. And 1 man’s trash is another’s treasure and all that…besides that, it still isn’t something quantifiable.

you keep thinking coaching and talent is all that matters, & you’ll keep coming up looking foolish when we see these Uber talented teams coming up short against teams with superior locker room culture and equal talent.

Reclamation projects. There are tons of talented young players that could use a change of scenery, correct? I've posted before about this, I'm not a big fan of where he was drafted, but Trubisky has alot of physical talent and he has starts under his belt. There are alot of 1st or 2nd rd players like that floating around. We will see when he has a full draft like he has coming up.

I thought that's what he was doing when he traded for guys like Miller/Lindsey and signed guys like Thomas/KGH/Taylor/McCray etc....

Last edited:

Trubusky is GARBAGE. No one who has actually watched that dude play for 4 years in Chicago would talk about him being something other than what he is right now. Same for Jameis. Same for Mariota. Like you said, All these guys have enough starts under their belts for you to have a pretty good idea of what they are. Just b/c they’re young doesn’t mean they’re destined for more growth. Some guys are what they are and in trubisky’s case, that’s not very good.

easy when you’re that much better..not so much when you’re looking for scheme fits. And 1 man’s trash is another’s treasure and all that…besides that, it still isn’t something quantifiable.

you keep thinking coaching and talent is all that matters, & you’ll keep coming up looking foolish when we see these Uber talented teams coming up short against teams with superior locker room culture and equal talent.
Name me a team with superior talent vs this locker room culture.

Put Greenard/Blacklock/Collins/Thibodeaux together and that's a front 4 that you can win with.
What if the next coach is a 3-4? See why placeholders makes no sense? If Culley is holding a spot and Caserio is being consistent with his Patriots ties, then his next coach is probably coming off that tree. Now maybe he gets an offensive coach like McDaniels, but if its defensive like Mayo, he's probably going to run Lovie off and do his 3-4 thing correct?

What if the next coach is a 3-4? See why placeholders makes no sense? If Culley is holding a spot and Caserio is being consistent with his Patriots ties, then his next coach is probably coming off that tree. Now maybe he gets an offensive coach like McDaniels, but if its defensive like Mayo, he's probably going to run Lovie off and do his 3-4 thing correct?

Not necessarily.

But if you have Greenard/Thibadeaux as OLB/DE spots and you add a fatty at the 0 tech then everything should be OK. I dont see Mayo ever being in the Texans org unless Caserio hires him as HC.

What type of defense do the Bills run?

No, not necessarily. Caserio should hire HC and Coordinators to fit schemes that fit the direction he wants the rebuild to go. Why assume Caserio is so stupid to draft for 2, 3, 4 years to fit a 43 defense and then flip flop and hire and draft for a 34.

No, not necessarily. Caserio should hire HC and Coordinators to fit schemes that fit the direction he wants the rebuild to go. Why assume Caserio is so stupid to draft for 2, 3, 4 years to fit a 43 defense and then flip flop and hire and draft for a 34.
As I had noted before, with offenses employing more single back and empty set, there are usually more receivers and TEs on the field than in years past.
As a result, we see more nickel and dime packages by the D.
Teams that run the 34 don't line up in their base set much.
The Patriots, for example, only employed a 3-man front some 27-28% of the time last year.

Since when? Did Kubiak and Obrien hire their own staff? Know why McVeigh is in LA vs Dallas? Any coach worth his salt wants to bring in his staff. The gm is suppose to get players that fit the coaches scheme and vision. Even when Harbaugh went to Ravens as a special teams coordinator, he chose his staff. When Tomlin went to Pittsburgh, he chose to keep the hall of fame dc and the oc Arians. If your coaching units suck. Which the Texans do, why would a coach want to keep anyone? Thats why I'm pretty certain its going to be an ex Patriot guy. Culley might be 1 and done in my opinion.

As I had noted before, with offenses employing more single back and empty set, there are usually more receivers and TEs on the field than in years past.
As a result, we see more nickel and dime packages by the D.
Teams that run the 34 don't line up in their base set much.
The Patriots, for example, only employed a 3-man front some 27-28% of the time last year.

Can't compare any team to the Patriots, they have the greatest coach of all time.

Back