Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Proof that the Texans were in panic mode at draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
if the texans werent in panic mode on the days leading up to the draft, then why didn't they have the foresight to approach New Orleans about a swapping of #1 and #2 picks? We knew that they already had a bunch of cap space tied up on Deuce and Bennett. We could have just simply traded our #1 pick and a 6th or 7th round pick to New Orleans for Bennett and the #2 overall pick. That would have been a much shrewder move. You would save a bit of money by drafting Mario #2, New Orleans gets Bush and drops the cap space of Bennett. I think from a football standpoint it sends a better message to your players and staff and from a public relation standpoint is sends a much better message to your fans and even the media.

Wouldnt that have made more sense? All it would have taken is one single phone call to the New Orleans FO and it could have happened. The New Orleans FO wouldnt want to give up anything to move up except dumping a player they would no longer need if they drafted Bush. Just thought it was a good idea and something that any smart GM would have thought of if they were indeed higher on Mario than Bush for the team.

I hope Mario kicks arse but I feel sorry for the guy with all the pressure on him and for Kubes if this doesnt work out. He might not be around too long if Mario is a bust...id say he will be gone Year 3 if the team still stinks and Mario is only an average DE or worse.....ESPECIALLY if Bush blows up

doug from the woodlands

HoneymoonIsOver said:
if the texans werent in panic mode on the days leading up to the draft, then why didn't they have the foresight to approach New Orleans about a swapping of #1 and #2 picks? We knew that they already had a bunch of cap space tied up on Deuce and Bennett. We could have just simply traded our #1 pick and a 6th or 7th round pick to New Orleans for Bennett and the #2 overall pick. That would have been a much shrewder move. You would save a bit of money by drafting Mario #2, New Orleans gets Bush and drops the cap space of Bennett. I think from a football standpoint it sends a better message to your players and staff and from a public relation standpoint is sends a much better message to your fans and even the media.

Wouldnt that have made more sense? All it would have taken is one single phone call to the New Orleans FO and it could have happened. The New Orleans FO wouldnt want to give up anything to move up except dumping a player they would no longer need if they drafted Bush. Just thought it was a good idea and something that any smart GM would have thought of if they were indeed higher on Mario than Bush for the team.

I hope Mario kicks arse but I feel sorry for the guy with all the pressure on him and for Kubes if this doesnt work out. He might not be around too long if Mario is a bust...id say he will be gone Year 3 if the team still stinks and Mario is only an average DE or worse.....ESPECIALLY if Bush blows up

doug from the woodlands

Explain how this constitutes proof??

In my world, proof...... suggests some kind of evidence...... so when you say Proof that the Texans were in Panic mode.....

folks like me expect to find evidence..

upon opening this thread, and finding none...... just more blabbering, do you have any idea what I'm thinking about you??

Here are a couple of reasons that this did not happen...

1. Bob McNair wanted the player signed BEFORE the draft...its not worth risking having a holdout over a RB that MAY sit #3 on a depth chart and has a long list of injuries

2. Texans had no 5th and no 7th round picks this year so the 6th round pick was probably worth a little bit more to them with a decent amount of talent left on the board

3. How could u trust NO to not take Mario if he is your guy? again is it worth losing "your guy" for that RB that would most likely be a #3?

this is a replay to your other "panic" mode topic on the other day 1 draft thread
Originally Posted by HoneymoonIsOver
sometimes you just have a gut feeling about something and this just doesnt feel like it was a well conceived decision with the #1 overall pick. it felt thrown together, last minute and a total panic by McNair/Kubes/Cass.

doug from the woodlands

I personally don't agree with that. I don't think it was a panic session.. Especially with the timeframe we had to pick (i.e. Kubiak was hired weeks in advance and Reeves was in to consult).. I think we played a poker hand and tried to get someone to bite on a trade down .. the Drew Brees deal came for N.O. and helped them out tremendously and took our bargaining power away. Basically with that it meant that if we traded down , Mario Williams was a given to be a Saint being Qb wasn't a need and RB wasn't a need.. Jets wouldn't give N.O. (by reports) the #4 and #29 for "Superman" at #2 so we know that #1 overall wasn't getting that kinda deal.. With the Drew Brees deal and IF we traded down we would have lost out on Williams or Bush..so we did what we did

Wolf said:
N.O. wanted Mario

I heard the same thing. I don't think the entire set of NFL coaching and scouting staffs are as in love with Reggie Bush as the media and fans are.

Houston took Mario because they had the sack to do it. New Orleans didn't need a running back, but they took Bush because they didn't have the sack not to.

HoneymoonIsOver said:

doug from the woodlands

Why in the blue blazes would you do that anyway? NO approached Houston about Bennett, not vice versa. Besides, trading picks with NO puts them in the catbird's seat -- you have to take their leftovers. And I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have taken Williams as well. Then Houston would have been stuck with Bush.

Bobo said:
Why in the blue blazes would you do that anyway? NO approached Houston about Bennett, not vice versa. Besides, trading picks with NO puts them in the catbird's seat -- you have to take their leftovers. And I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have taken Williams as well. Then Houston would have been stuck with Bush.

I agree 100%

Many of the people on this board amaze me at the lengths they will go to justify a bad decision. The Texans had a lot of different ways they could have done the draft, and they managed to do it in the absolute worst manner. One of you said that we would have "been stuck with Bush" if we hadn't gotten Mario. Are you serious? Did you watch college football at all last year? Yes, Bush got a lot of media hype. The guy was flat out electrifying in high school and college and deserved the attention. And he has the most potential of draftees in recent memory to make a positive lasting impact for whatever team took him. Plus he would have added a marketability nationally that has never existed with the franchise. On the other hand, Mario was a risk who himself couldn't believe he was the No. 1 pick. The Texans placed so much impetus on signing a guy before the draft that it skewed their judgment. Of course Mario would have signed earlier than anyone. He didn't expect to go higher than 5 before the freaking combine.

I think many Texans fans (at least on this board) are so high on the Battle Red Koolaid that they would defend the Texans over anything they do, no matter how stupid it is. If they resurrected Adolf Hitler and hired him as head coach, some people on this board would post things like, "Great move - I don't care what the media thinks. He's a terrific motivator and has a great offensive mind. We made the right move and everyone else in the world is wrong. Go Texans!" Geez, call a spade a spade every once in a while. They botched the draft, and now they are trying to cover their butts by stacking up RBs because it's a need they failed to address in the draft, even though the bar none top prospect was...a RB.

I love how people think that it only takes one team to trade. Who says that CC didn't call the Saints anyways? From what I've read, CC called and got no takers for a trade. None. I wanted the Texans to trade down if they weren't going to take Young or Bush but if you can't work out a trade then you use your pick (unless you pull a Vikings).

texansfaninla said:
Many of the people on this board amaze me at the lengths they will go to justify a bad decision. The Texans had a lot of different ways they could have done the draft, and they managed to do it in the absolute worst manner.

There are just as many people still hammering the Texans for this move as there are apologists. It reminds me of a pit bull once he has grabbed hold of the neighbor kid's leg and just won't let go. At this point both Bush and Williams are players with a high potential for success but also with a potential for failure. Neither one of these kids has suited up and taken a snap in an NFL game. It's entirely possible that the Texans will look stupid for this draft in years to come. It's also possible that they'll look brilliant. I'm willing to see how it's going to play out on the field before I condemn them for the choice they made.

The Texans have said that they were close enough on a deal that they could have signed Bush or Williams before the draft. They CHOSE Williams over Bush so people need to get over it. Once again, the Texans front office has stated that if they wanted Bush they could of had him signed prior to the draft. They were that close. The media and draft experts can't stand that the Texans didn't do what they wanted. Bob McNair and Gary Kubiak have some nuts. Give em some credit.

:tease: OK lets have another poll to see if the Texans could have appeased Honeymoon and Texansfanila .

The fact is nobody knows how this draft will play out . That will be determined in about 2 years .

If Bush is the real deal , N.O. has an element to compliment Brees , Deuce , Horn etc . If Mario's for real Peek has 8 sacks maybe , PBuch gets alot better and Drob is a pro-bowler . We will have a defense who teams fear because they can rush the passer with no gimmics . Straight up kick their ass ... priceless . Of course Reggie's running wide looking for an opening .

The same goofballs that passed on RB drafted a really good LB and two good OL prospects . In two years we might say our lines are the strength of our team . If our lines are the strength of our team ... we should be knocking on the Super Bowls door . We might not sale freakin Reggie Bush jerseys , but we'll be good .

texansfaninla said:
Many of the people on this board amaze me at the lengths they will go to justify a bad decision. The Texans had a lot of different ways they could have done the draft, and they managed to do it in the absolute worst manner. One of you said that we would have "been stuck with Bush" if we hadn't gotten Mario. Are you serious? Did you watch college football at all last year? Yes, Bush got a lot of media hype. The guy was flat out electrifying in high school and college and deserved the attention. And he has the most potential of draftees in recent memory to make a positive lasting impact for whatever team took him. Plus he would have added a marketability nationally that has never existed with the franchise. On the other hand, Mario was a risk who himself couldn't believe he was the No. 1 pick. The Texans placed so much impetus on signing a guy before the draft that it skewed their judgment. Of course Mario would have signed earlier than anyone. He didn't expect to go higher than 5 before the freaking combine.

I think many Texans fans (at least on this board) are so high on the Battle Red Koolaid that they would defend the Texans over anything they do, no matter how stupid it is. If they resurrected Adolf Hitler and hired him as head coach, some people on this board would post things like, "Great move - I don't care what the media thinks. He's a terrific motivator and has a great offensive mind. We made the right move and everyone else in the world is wrong. Go Texans!" Geez, call a spade a spade every once in a while. They botched the draft, and now they are trying to cover their butts by stacking up RBs because it's a need they failed to address in the draft, even though the bar none top prospect was...a RB.

Yes, I'm serious. Bush wouldn't help this team when the Texans already have Davis. He'd be a player who would get limited touches on a team that has so many needs. Why in the world would you take some guy #1 and pay him a boatload of money when he wouldn't even be a full-time player? The NFL graveyards are filled with highly touted RBs that never worked out. Blair Thomas, Kiyanna Carter, Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips and Archie Griffin to name just a few. You've got to stop listening to the anachronistic newspaper people. They are just trying to hold onto their jobs and write stuff that is nothing but sensationalist garbage so they can somehow stem their declining circulation. I think it's you who are high on Reggie Bush Koolaid and you picked that up from the media. RBs are a dime a dozen -- why would you throw one away on a RB when folks pick them up with third and fourth-round draft choices? Plus, Bush is way, way overestimating his value and NO is going to have a heckuva time signing him. The draft pick was the right call. Thank goodness for the Texans that they have a good running game and an improved defense rather than, well, just a good running game. BTW, I'm one of the greatest critics of the Texans on this board so don't come running at me with this "defending Adolf Hitler" garbage. Besides that's just a rehash of KILT talkshow stuff. You might try to come up with something a litle original. It makes the discussion a bit more interesting. Or at least give KILT a credit somewhere in your post. As for marketability, give me a break. The season ticket sales are just as strong as ever. And if the Texans were going for marketability, they would have chosen VY.

If Bush is the real deal , N.O. has an element to compliment Brees , Deuce , Horn etc .

Umm, Deuce doesn't NEED somebody to "compliment" him. He's fine all by himself. Have you seen his accomplishments? Pro Bowl twice! Great rusher as well as receiver. The Saints got themselves into a problem that the Texans were smart enough to avoid. Now the Saints will have $90 million invested in one position -- and one ball. They will rue the day.

texansfaninla said:

Sorry, I have to disagree with some of your comments..."Justify a bad decision".....I along with some other posters would have been fine with Bush or Mario...especially Mario in a tradedown' that wasn't possible...no one wanted to trade to #1. VY supporters would probably disagree with Bush being the best prospect.

NO will find out how difficult it will be to sign Bush. I don't blame McNair for wanting the first pick to be signed before the draft. Bush's agent is at fault for not being flexible with guaranteed money so Bush would have been #1 pick.

Mario was most teams' #2 prospect and #1 on 6 teams' board. " He didn't expect to go higher than 5 before the freaking combine." Do you have a link or source for that comment?

Your Hitler analogy was totally uncalled for and way overboard. My dad and uncle served in US Army in WWII.

"it's a need they failed to address in draft" .....Most posters would agree the Texans did not have a strong need at RB...with DD and Morency there. The only reason some fans would have have been fine with Bush was his flexibilty and his explosiveness.

Kubiak decided addressing the defense was a more pressing priority...Mario would help improve Texans' run defense and pass rush. Just because you didn't like Texans picking Mario does it mean it was a "stupid decision"

HoneymoonIsOver said:

doug from the woodlands

...except that NO would have taken Mario with the first pick, which means--like other posters have stated-- the Texans would be in 'RB Heck' with Bush and Bennett...some of you think that if you talk about Bush enough he will 'magically' appear on the Texans Roster!! Guess what??

Trade'06pick said:
I heard the same thing. I don't think the entire set of NFL coaching and scouting staffs are as in love with Reggie Bush as the media and fans are.

Houston took Mario because they had the sack to do it. New Orleans didn't need a running back, but they took Bush because they didn't have the sack not to.

yeah i agree

yeah forget bush we got mario now and thats the way it gona be aite, im tired of all this cud of been, wud of been BS lets just all luk forward to the season games startin

texansfaninla said:

They didn't need a RB, they had DD and Morency before the draft and have picked up Smith since. It seems like its NO that want the trade.

If you want to talk needs then the Texans needed a pass rush more than they did an offensive player therefore the right choice was Mario.

The Williams pick was just one pick of the draft - so when you say they botched the draft they should not have picked Ryans in the 2nd and the 2 Oline guys in the 3rd?

HoneymoonIsOver said:

doug from the woodlands

This is the stupidist thing I have read in awhile on this board! This has been talked about for awhile now, but her's a fe reasons why we didn't trade down:

1) No one wanted to trade with us
2) Your trade above (swapping picks with NO and getting their 6th) is not
even close to value for the #1 pick overall, so why jeopardize getting the
guy you WANT for just a 6th rd pick. Easy, you don't. Plus, that would
have gone down as one of the worst trades in NFL history.
3) NO was thought to be favoring Mario over Bush

texman8 said:
Your Hitler analogy was totally uncalled for and way overboard. My dad and uncle served in US Army in WWII.

This was nothing but a copy of a thought mentioned by the folks at KILT radio during the many hours they have trying to kill time. The only thing original about the poster's take was the most offensive part of his post -- bringing Adolf Hitler into it.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:tease:
The fact is nobody knows how this draft will play out . That will be determined in about 2 years .

If Bush is the real deal , N.O. has an element to compliment Brees , Deuce , Horn etc .

No offense Earl.... but do we really need to wait two years.... look at what you've just written.......

When was the last time a running back was selected #1 overall to "compliment" another runningback?? or to compliment another WideReciever?? Do you use the #1 overall to select a compliment player?? I don't think so.

With the #1 overall, you select the man..... The Quarterback. ..... the Wide REciever..... the Defensive End........ or the RunningBack. Despite all the hoopla, the hype created by ESPN, we don't know if Reggie can be that runningback.

No one expects Reggie to ever be that man.......... he is the perfect compliment for the main NFL runningback. The lightning to the thunder.

Bobo said:
have a heckuva time signing him. The draft pick was the right call. Thank goodness for the Texans that they have a good running game and an improved defense rather than, well, just a good running game. BTW, I'm one of the greatest critics of the Texans on this board so don't come running at me with this "defending Adolf Hitler" garbage.

Can you believe I've got to spread rep around before I give you anymore??

go figure.

This is one of the most absurd topics but some folks are very bitter.

First, a trade down to the 2nd pick has a value of a mid 2nd RD pick that you are giving up plus you want to throw in a a 6th or 7th RD.

Second, now you have no GTD and how do you know the Saints don't trade #1 or take Mario.

Third, there would be no way you could sign your draft pick prior to the draft avoiding a holdout.

Fourth, Bush may and I repeat MAY only give you 20 yds a game more than what already on the table and you want to pay $54 million ($28 Mil GTD) for that?

Fifth, you want to tie up over $70 million dollars in long term cap space for one position. (Davis just got $20 mil last year)

Sixth, Houston would still not have had a pass rush if they had taken Bush.

Seventh, Houston now has a pass rush that can come from anywhere on the front line.

Eighth, what is more valuable, a pass rush specialist or a good running back, see who makes the most money for the answer.

Ninth, Houston has signed their first RD pick, NO hasn't.

Tenth, Get over it! It is done. You can't change it! With all the venting you have done you should start to feel better soon!

Eleventh, The easy or popular decision is not always the right decision and usually the wrong decision. Hardwork, attention to detail and homework gives you the best answer to your decision. From what I have read this exactly what the Texans did.

Twelvth, Bush sat out most NO mini camp with a tight hammy. What little time he did practice was at receiver. Duece is still the man.

HoneymoonIsOver said:

doug from the woodlands

You are going to have an aneurysm over this, and that ain't cool.

You need to realize, it is OVER. Done. Finis. It is how it is, regardless of how you think it WAS. You can not judge Mario OR Reggie in the NFL until they at least play a down, all else is speculation.

Why can't you just embrace Mario and cheer him on? I just don't understand why some of you folks can't let Reggie just be a Saint and forget all about the other BS.

This 'Ground Hog Day' rhetoric of April 28th is about as annoying as it can get on message boards. Step away from the keyboard, you will find it is now May 13th, the sun still came up and set for 15 days straight and the sky didn't fall. Welcome back to reality!

Life will be OK without Reggie in a Texans' uni. Promise. :ok:

HoneymoonIsOver said:

doug from the woodlands
ITS OVER!!!!!!!!!!

our staff & front office knew that they would be barbequed by the public & media, and would take a hit in the economics department by not picking bush or young. guess what. that wasnt enough incentive to pass on who they though would help the texans win games. now new orleans is trying desperately to unload players because they didnt have that same conviction. not only did they miss on the best player for their team in hawk, they're also going to take a loss on bennett for it. we didnt even look at bennett during free agency, and i highly doubt we're giving him serious interest right now despite rumor.

as everyone else has said ...

WILLIEG said:
Four words: Get over it man!

oh, and please stop mentioning trades. we tried, new orleans tried ... NOBODY wanted to trade up for bush.

Scooter said:
not only did they miss on the best player for their team in hawk, they're also going to take a loss on bennett for it.
as everyone else has said ...

oh, and please stop mentioning trades. we tried, new orleans tried ... NOBODY wanted to trade up for bush.

I think Hawk would've been good for them, but not as much as D'Brick.... in that power run game..... can you imagine?? and then I'd hate to see Drew get hurt.

They did a fair job in FA with LBs now....... but you know how hard it is to find a LT in FA.......

I know I've said it time and time again and a lot of people have said it, it's in the past, we had no control over what the team decided to do, and we can't do anything about it now. As a human we have to live with our decisions and the decisions of others. I really just wish we would stop talking about a player on the Saints and not about our team.

thunderkyss said:
I think Hawk would've been good for them, but not as much as D'Brick.... in that power run game..... can you imagine?? and then I'd hate to see Drew get hurt.

They did a fair job in FA with LBs now....... but you know how hard it is to find a LT in FA.......

d'brick would've been a heavy consideration (and still arguably a player who could've been taken first overall), especially because of losing bentley, but i think that brees has the tools around him to do the job with a decent receiving core & strong runners in deuce & bennett. getting the premier O-lineman in the draft is something i'll never argue against, but it comes down to what was best for them right now. where they hurt is on defense. the only talent on the D is their defensive ends. as for signing linebackers, they got fujita, allan, & someone else i'm forgetting ... none of which are starters. looking at their roster, i do not see a starter at linebacker (or even DB) on their entire squad. hawk would be an immediate impact and a fixture on that team. i feel they screwed the pooch by drafting bush when they were in the same position we were. solid RB's and holes everywhere else.

Bobo said:
Yes, I'm serious. Bush wouldn't help this team when the Texans already have Davis. He'd be a player who would get limited touches on a team that has so many needs. Why in the world would you take some guy #1 and pay him a boatload of money when he wouldn't even be a full-time player? The NFL graveyards are filled with highly touted RBs that never worked out. Blair Thomas, Kiyanna Carter, Curtis Enis, Lawrence Phillips and Archie Griffin to name just a few. You've got to stop listening to the anachronistic newspaper people. They are just trying to hold onto their jobs and write stuff that is nothing but sensationalist garbage so they can somehow stem their declining circulation. I think it's you who are high on Reggie Bush Koolaid and you picked that up from the media. RBs are a dime a dozen -- why would you throw one away on a RB when folks pick them up with third and fourth-round draft choices? Plus, Bush is way, way overestimating his value and NO is going to have a heckuva time signing him. The draft pick was the right call. Thank goodness for the Texans that they have a good running game and an improved defense rather than, well, just a good running game. BTW, I'm one of the greatest critics of the Texans on this board so don't come running at me with this "defending Adolf Hitler" garbage. Besides that's just a rehash of KILT talkshow stuff. You might try to come up with something a litle original. It makes the discussion a bit more interesting. Or at least give KILT a credit somewhere in your post. As for marketability, give me a break. The season ticket sales are just as strong as ever. And if the Texans were going for marketability, they would have chosen VY.

Bush is in camp and saying he will not miss any time. And as for saying people are focused on what the Media says is a blanket statement .I watched a lot of College Football last year and was not concerned with hype.(I like Hype in my entertainment, but can see what happens with my eyes and form my own opinion) I am in Austin Texas hearing alot more about Bushes first day at Saints Camp than I have seen anything about the Texans.:brickwall

texplayer2 said:
Bush is in camp and saying he will not miss any time. And as for saying people are focused on what the Media says is a blanket statement .I watched a lot of College Football last year and was not concerned with hype.(I like Hype in my entertainment, but can see what happens with my eyes and form my own opinion) I am in Austin Texas hearing alot more about Bushes first day at Saints Camp than I have seen anything about the Texans.:brickwall

...don't think the Texans have had a camp yet, maybe in June?:confused:

troll-bg.jpg

Responses to some of your responses:

(1) If the running game is not a need, then why are the Texans trying to stockpile RBs? Word is, DD's injury will prevent him from being the same player as he was before. Now they're trying to trade for Michael Bennett after signing Antowain Smith. Why not draft Bush? He'd be a perfect fit for the Kubiak system.

(2) If you're going to say RBs picked high are busts, take a look at the top DLs picked No. 1 overall in the last 20 years: Courtney Brown, Dan Wilkinson, Steve Emtman, Russell Maryland, and the ever popular Aundray Bruce. Not the most prolific list of guys out there. In fact, the only way they get in the Hall of Fame is if they drive to Canton and pay admission.

(3) When I mentioned fan interest, I was referring to a national basis of fan interest. Not locals who are keeping their season tix. There's no excitement about the Texans nationally, hence no national TV appearances.

(4) The KILT Hitler tie-in was unintentional, as I do not live in Houston and do not listen to KILT. Sorry if I offended with that remark. But, you get my point. I could change it to say something like "The Texans could sign OJ Simpson and many fans would be jeering any dissenters within the fan base." That perhaps would have been more in line.

With that, I'll stop my posts of this nature (to the happiness of many). Hoping for the best, but unhappily expecting another nightmarish season (for reasons outlined above).

texansfaninla said:

(1) If the running game is not a need, then why are the Texans trying to stockpile RBs? Word is, DD's injury will prevent him from being the same player as he was before. Now they're trying to trade for Michael Bennett after signing Antowain Smith. Why not draft Bush? He'd be a perfect fit for the Kubiak system.
two things.
First, no one said runningback isn't a need. We are saying we aren't spending $54 million dollars on a running back. It doesn't matter if it's Barry Sanders himeself...... we'd have passed on him with the #1 pick. This is something the coach doesn't believe in.... kind of like 3-4 OLBs...... if the most talented player in this draft was a 3-4 OLB, we'd have passed on him, as he doesn't fit our system.
Second. we are gearing up for Training camp. There will be 100 players or so on our roster.......... most of them won't make the team, as we have to be down to 53 players before the start of the season.
texansfaninla said:
(2) If you're going to say RBs picked high are busts, take a look at the top DLs picked No. 1 overall in the last 20 years: Courtney Brown, Dan Wilkinson, Steve Emtman, Russell Maryland, and the ever popular Aundray Bruce. Not the most prolific list of guys out there. In fact, the only way they get in the Hall of Fame is if they drive to Canton and pay admission.
Not one of them was a $54 million dollar scatback....... it doesn't matter. & I for one am not saying that Reggie will bust. I'm saying Denver got to the playoffs last year, without a 1st round running back...... & they won a superbowl with a 4th round runningback.
Another thing. the most explosive offenses, were Cincinatti, without Reggie Bush, Carolina, without Reggie Bush, & Indy, without Reggie Bush... point being, we'll be fine without ReggieBush.
texansfaninla said:
(3) When I mentioned fan interest, I was referring to a national basis of fan interest. Not locals who are keeping their season tix. There's no excitement about the Texans nationally, hence no national TV appearances.
Do you know how they chose who gets to play on Monday/Sunday nights?? I'll give you a hint......... it has nothing to do with the roster. It's about the W-L.
texansfaninla said:
(4) The KILT Hitler tie-in was unintentional, as I do not live in Houston and do not listen to KILT. Sorry if I offended with that remark. But, you get my point. I could change it to say something like "The Texans could sign OJ Simpson and many fans would be jeering any dissenters within the fan base." That perhaps would have been more in line.
Can OJ still get it done between the Tackles?? I'd be all for it. He might not pass McNair's character test, so we shouldn't have to worry about that.
texansfaninla said:
With that, I'll stop my posts of this nature (to the happiness of many). Hoping for the best, but unhappily expecting another nightmarish season (for reasons outlined above).
Because we don't have Reggie Bush?? WTF??

We didn't loose 10 games because we didn't have Reggie Bush... we lost 10 games, because we weren't as aggressive as we should've been. Which led to 3 & out, more often than not.... Which led to our D getting overworked.... which led to giving up too many crucial plays......

the 3 & Outs can be traced back to our passing game...... a few dropped balls, a few double teams.... but for the most part lack of QB protection. Less than 2 seconds........ that's how much time our recievers had to get open, that's how long David would have to throw the ball. I can't think of anything Reggie would be able to do, that would give David more time to throw the ball. Even as a blocker, there were times, when the tailback didn't have time to get between the QB and the on-coming defensive onslought.

If you were one of the guys complaining that we don't have the explosive offensive weapon that can score from anywhere, you should be happy now. we have Moulds, AJ, and Mathis....... all three can score from anywhere.

Then with the correct zone blocking, DD will become a threat.... remember Terrell Davis?? not much faster than Domanick.....

texansfaninla said:

The Texans are stockpiling players at just about every position. They don't want jobs just handed to a particular player. Kubiak wants competition within the team to make the team stronger, to put the best players on the field.

RB is a particular position that you want depth at because the punishing nature of the position tends to lead to injuries. And Kubiak teams run a ton.

Saw this stat the other day and it was interesting: The last three years that Kubiak was offensive coordinator for the Broncos, he called an average of 540 runs a season. This is 59 more than the Texans have ever tried. (This is likely because the Denver offenses stay on the field longer).

Kubiak is not about individual players. He is about teams.

After he was hired, Bob McNair was asked about David Carr, and McNair said that he believed Carr could take the team to the Super Bowl. When Kubiak was asked the same question, he said that it is not fair to put that on any player. That Carr has the tools to be a great player and that Kubiak would put him a position to succeed, but that it is teams that go to the Super Bowl.

As for the running back position, a Denver system doesn't need a superstar back to suceed--it is argued that the system lets most competent backs have success. If this is the case, why put yourself in salary cap hades in the RB position?

Picking Reggie Bush for the Texans would seem to be something that might make more sense for fantasy stats or Madden versus winning in the real world of a salary cap.

Texian said:
This is one of the most absurd topics but some folks are very bitter.

First, a trade down to the 2nd pick has a value of a mid 2nd RD pick that you are giving up plus you want to throw in a a 6th or 7th RD.

Second, now you have no GTD and how do you know the Saints don't trade #1 or take Mario.

Third, there would be no way you could sign your draft pick prior to the draft avoiding a holdout.

Fourth, Bush may and I repeat MAY only give you 20 yds a game more than what already on the table and you want to pay $54 million ($28 Mil GTD) for that?

Fifth, you want to tie up over $70 million dollars in long term cap space for one position. (Davis just got $20 mil last year)

Sixth, Houston would still not have had a pass rush if they had taken Bush.

Seventh, Houston now has a pass rush that can come from anywhere on the front line.

Eighth, what is more valuable, a pass rush specialist or a good running back, see who makes the most money for the answer.

Ninth, Houston has signed their first RD pick, NO hasn't.

Tenth, Get over it! It is done. You can't change it! With all the venting you have done you should start to feel better soon!

Eleventh, The easy or popular decision is not always the right decision and usually the wrong decision. Hardwork, attention to detail and homework gives you the best answer to your decision. From what I have read this exactly what the Texans did.

Twelvth, Bush sat out most NO mini camp with a tight hammy. What little time he did practice was at receiver. Duece is still the man.

listen...the texans were in panic mode in the weeks leading up to the draft...mcnair made an arse of himself and Kubes at the Vince Young - UT Pro Day 'Dog and Pony Show' put on purely to placate the VY supporters...they hadnt even picked a guy until 24 hours before the draft YET they insist that they get a deal done pre draft...make up your freakin mind and pick the damn guy and get him signed...they tried to save money by pitting two players against each other and both sides got burned in a game of high stakes poker...here is how it went down imho

mcnair and co. wanted Bush but not for 30million guaranteed. Bush and his agent came off arrogant personally towards McNair and with all the negative publicity McNair figured that he had a bit more leverage and then started using the 2 players against each other and Bush's agent called McNair's bluff.

McNair is a proud billionaire and not a moron, but I think he wasnt about to lose in a pissing contest against a 22yr old and his greedy agent. They had a need at DE and made the deal because basically McNair didnt want Bush and the baggage that comes with him. Not to mention he probably only touches the ball 15-20 times a game.

Listen, my thing isnt that they passed on Bush but to take an underachieving DE at #1 overall in a deep draft is a move they may live to regret. I am sorry I am not one of the mindless automoton sheep that blindly praise and support even the most assanine (sic) moves that this franchise has made in the last 4+ years...if the guys had a track record of making sound decisions I would be given to give the benefit of the doubt but we have made a laughingstock out of the franchise.

On a positive note, Williams is a player at the position we probably had the most need at so I dont fault the position just the player and no DE was worth the #1 overall pick in this draft..Williams is a workout warrior and I can think of another workout warrior and his name is Babin and that hasnt worked out too well now has it? well Williams is Babin sans tattoo addiction and fair skin...that is what he has shown on the football field and last time I checked games were still played on the football field and not in weight rooms, laboratories and scout's stopwatches...

DRAMA said:
...and Doug from the Woodlands was never heard from again.

The End.

lol...its called Mother's Day...look into it...next time I will just tell my mother that I cant make it over for Mother's Day cause I have to respond to some 13 year old's opinion on how Mario Williams is the greatest thing since Pokemon... anywho....Mario like Carr were and are picks based largely on workout evaluation and measurables and not WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES and DELIVERING ON THE BIGGEST STAGES AND FOR THE BIGGEST STAKES. Fresno State, NC State...what's next? Duke? Wake Forest? Well at least against those teams Mario actually looks like a sane pick, too bad Duke and Wake Forest dont play in the AFC South....

I am hoping for the best because other than Mario's pick we did a good job in the offseason but I think we missed the boat on this one...imho of course

p.s. Does anyone else think Lance on 610's Communist 'Pravda' routine/voice is hilarious? When they start the 'People's Show' stuff its pretty priceless...

HoneymoonIsOver said:
listen...the texans were in panic mode in the weeks leading up to the draft...mcnair made an arse of himself and Kubes at the Vince Young - UT Pro Day 'Dog and Pony Show' put on purely to placate the VY supporters...they hadnt even picked a guy until 24 hours before the draft YET they insist that they get a deal done pre draft...make up your freakin mind and pick the damn guy and get him signed...they tried to save money by pitting two players against each other and both sides got burned in a game of high stakes poker...here is how it went down imho

mcnair and co. wanted Bush but not for 30million guaranteed. Bush and his agent came off arrogant personally towards McNair and with all the negative publicity McNair figured that he had a bit more leverage and then started using the 2 players against each other and Bush's agent called McNair's bluff.

McNair is a proud billionaire and not a moron, but I think he wasnt about to lose in a pissing contest against a 22yr old and his greedy agent. They had a need at DE and made the deal because basically McNair didnt want Bush and the baggage that comes with him. Not to mention he probably only touches the ball 15-20 times a game.

Listen, my thing isnt that they passed on Bush but to take an underachieving DE at #1 overall in a deep draft is a move they may live to regret. I am sorry I am not one of the mindless automoton sheep that blindly praise and support even the most assanine (sic) moves that this franchise has made in the last 4+ years...if the guys had a track record of making sound decisions I would be given to give the benefit of the doubt but we have made a laughingstock out of the franchise.

On a positive note, Williams is a player at the position we probably had the most need at so I dont fault the position just the player and no DE was worth the #1 overall pick in this draft..Williams is a workout warrior and I can think of another workout warrior and his name is Babin and that hasnt worked out too well now has it? well Williams is Babin sans tattoo addiction and fair skin...that is what he has shown on the football field and last time I checked games were still played on the football field and not in weight rooms, laboratories and scout's stopwatches...

500 more rushing yards a game isn't taking us to .500.....putting some pressure on the D....we have a chance. period. Mcnair made it clear when he said he was going to do what it takes to get this team winning NOW. Upgrading our RB wasn't going to win us anymore games....just sell more tickets. You have to stop people from scoring before you can ever hope to beat them....we were last in the whole league in turnovers i believe and it isn't because we didn't have CB's or S's who could catch....its because our 30 seconds we gave QB's each snap to pick us apart to pieces for career games. We wanted to win now....RB wasn't the problem, apparently the QB isn't the problem (there is faith there), so you have to move to D for in impact spot....Mario Williams unanimously was the best defensive player.

HoneymoonIsOver said:
I am sorry I am not one of the mindless automoton sheep that blindly praise and support even the most assanine (sic) moves that this franchise has made in the last 4+ years

i don't think anyone is accusing or thinking your in that crowd.....but probably one of the "mindless sheep blindy praising and supporting" Bush. Bush is a great player and will get his numbers if he stays healthy most likely. Bottom line....his extra yards weren't going to win us the most games. Like i said.....over and over....you HAVE to stop someone else from scoring....before you can think about beating them. And we didn't stop a soul last year.

Well, now, its been two days in a row.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5604808

No contract and hammy problems. Remember how it started with Glenn? Need I say more. Next week the coaches will be able to do organized activities and we will see how we do. Remember, our #1 is allowed to participate in team activities and TC's because he is signed. That is a big plus. We have yet to sign the other rookies, but I would suspect we should start hearing something soon.

The other number 1's have a problem, because their agents are probably waiting to hear what Bush does. Seems like each draft position evaluates what the one's before it have done. Oh, well, just like the past I would like to see that the Team have signed all of their rookies and they are ready to go. We need all of the practice together we can get. Looks like TC won't be till June which is later than most other teams.

thunderkyss said:
Because we don't have Reggie Bush?? WTF??

We didn't loose 10 games because we didn't have Reggie Bush... we lost 10 games, because we weren't as aggressive as we should've been. Which led to 3 & out, more often than not.... Which led to our D getting overworked.... which led to giving up too many crucial plays......

the 3 & Outs can be traced back to our passing game...... a few dropped balls, a few double teams.... but for the most part lack of QB protection. Less than 2 seconds........ that's how much time our recievers had to get open, that's how long David would have to throw the ball. I can't think of anything Reggie would be able to do, that would give David more time to throw the ball. Even as a blocker, there were times, when the tailback didn't have time to get between the QB and the on-coming defensive onslought.

that is the gospel in a nutshell and the exact problems that have plagued this team...I do feel that you could add that Carr is responsible for about half the sacks that have been incurred and that Banks doesnt seem to get sacked nearly as much and the line seems to block better....carr is just a prima donna and the players probably rally around Banks better..who knows...what I do know is if Carr looks like he did last year, I hope we see him selling insurance back in California next year....

HoneymoonIsOver said:

If McNair and Kubes hadn't made up their mind yet why do you call the VY Pro Day a dog and pony show. They hadn't picked a guy yet by your own admission/guess.

Just how in the hell do you know that Bush and his agent came off arrogantly....I guess you were there listening.

I highly doubt that McNair would lose a pissing contest againt Bush and his agent. McNair has the money, Bush and the agent did not have the upper hand here. The rest of the paragraph suprisingly makes sense.

You admit that the team needed a DE. Would you have passed on Mario?
Who would you have drafted at DE instead of Mario?
Don't say we could have traded down and gotten him, no one offered to trade up for Bush.

Nobody who counts is laughing.

And drafts are not conducted on message boards by football fans. They are conducted by professionals who know a lot more about drafting than the disgruntled fan whos' favorite player was not drafted.

I read in the Chronic that Mr McNair and Kubiak wanted Mario and Casserly wanted Bush. Using your own logic about our past drafts you choose to side with Cass on this? Go figure.

:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back