Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

ProFootbal Focus 3 performances of notes Texans @ Jaguars

76Texan

Hall of Fame
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/17/refo-texans-jaguars-week-2/

Best in the League?

It’s only Week 2, and we’ve got an awful lot of football left to see, but you’ll struggle to find a better defensive player in the NFL right now than J.J. Watt (+8.8). Following up last week’s impressive performance against the Miami Dolphins, Watt was absolutely devastating on the rare occasions the Jags had possession of the ball. Registering two sacks, two hits, a hurry and two batted passes...

How to Run the Ball

If you’re looking to find the best way to run the football in the NFL, the Texans put on an absolute clinic on Sunday afternoon, racking up 216 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. They did this through a combination of strong play from running backs Arian Foster (+2.7) and Ben Tate (+3.2) and an offensive line that moved the Jaguars’ defensive line at will all game long. Every Houston offensive lineman finished the game with a positive grade as a run blocker with Wade Smith (+2.2 in the run game) and Chris Myers (+1.8) standing out...

(Looks like Wade Smith got the memo from Kubiak last week, LOL!)

Texans Defensive Backs

While they may have not been up against an elite quarterback and receiver combo, the Texans’ defensive backs had a solid outing in pass coverage. Allowing just nine receptions for 76 yards through the air as a group, they were always close to the Jaguars receivers. The team’s 2010 first-round draft pick Kareem Jackson (+1.3) was the most impressive of the bunch and while he never got his hands on a pass, he was still able to stay close enough to the receiver to force two of the three incompletions thrown into his coverage. Through the first two weeks of the season he has allowed just 60 yards through the air, looking like a much improved player from his first two years in the league.

Punt, Punt, Punt

It’s an indication of just how bad the Jaguars’ offense was on Sunday that punter Bryan Anger (+5.0) was about as good as it got for the home team. Asked to punt nine times, he averaged 52.2 yards per kick and a net average of 43.7 yards. Only half of those punts were returned, with two going out of bounds and two being fair caught. All nine of them received a positive grade, with four landing inside the 20-yard line and just 41 return yards in total. Is it bad that he was one of the biggest positives for the Jaguars this week? Absolutely, but after using a third-round draft pick on him, Anger has lived up to that lofty status in the first two weeks of the season.

Yep, I'd say he was worth a 3rd round pick...

Punt, punt, punt... I like reading that a lot, LOL!

The Dolphins were 0-9 on third down conversions; that's right there should tell you how impossible for the Jags to stay in the game with us.

On the heel of the Dolphins 2-13 performance (on third and fourth down conversion), one can't help to to be excited about this defense.

They are really playing great. :clap:

Man, I can't wait for Sunday! :texflag:

76, could you do a breakdown of what happened on the Jags one big reception, the one where JoJo was closest to the receiver but in truth the route ran between the CB and S?

That then set up the TD throw where Brady James looked awful.

I'm just interested as to what went wrong where the rest of the game the whole unit looked bullet-proof.

It makes me very happy to see that the Texans are finally winning games without resorting to Andre Johnson having to beast it constantly. It makes me a lot more comfortable about what sooner or later is going to be a gradual transition to a less effective weapon (may already be someway into this given his injuries etc).

76, could you do a breakdown of what happened on the Jags one big reception, the one where JoJo was closest to the receiver but in truth the route ran between the CB and S?

That then set up the TD throw where Brady James looked awful.

I'm just interested as to what went wrong where the rest of the game the whole unit looked bullet-proof.

It makes me very happy to see that the Texans are finally winning games without resorting to Andre Johnson having to beast it constantly. It makes me a lot more comfortable about what sooner or later is going to be a gradual transition to a less effective weapon (may already be someway into this given his injuries etc).
Amazing, I was about to ask Dutch to put up that play (12:35 in the third).
I don't know if he has the All-22 view or not.
(The regular broadcast doesn't show enough of the field to really see it).

It was that classic 2-receiver route that I talked so much about during the off-season (2011) in the Kareem Jackson's plight thread.

JJo simply lost that one.
It was a skinny post route and JJo played too deep (to guard the corner route).

If this one was a post route, Quin would have been right there to break it up.
(This is what KJax didn't have on some 4 plays in his rookie season).

Texans were in cover one, man under.
Manning came down to play the run.
Quin moved back to deep center.
Jackson took the crosser.
That left JJo on the deep route.

And like I said, JJo just lost that one.

If he was KJax, he would have been crucified like there's no tomorrow.
icon10.gif

In Jackson's case (in 2010), the receivers ran post routes (not skinny post like in this one) and there was nobody in the middle that can provide him with the help that Quin gave JJo on this play.

On the other hand, perhaps the Texans were trying to bait Gabbert into an INT.

Maybe they were thinking that the receiver will run a post route since the Texans started out with a cover 2 look (before Manning came down to play the run).

To beat cover 2, the receiver would need to run a post route into the deep middle of the field.

Cheers. I was a little unsure due to the announcers comments on the play. Think we can forgive JJo 1 bad play here or there.

I think one of the more under-rated differences between this D and the one of 2 years ago is the safety play.

Smithiak took a hell of a long time without ever addressing it properly, they lucked into Pollard, but the coaching staff couldn't scheme to the mans strengths (not a cover safety) and let Eugene Wilson start for a long time.

It seems as if even Philly struggled last season with DRC and Nnamdi at CB but with poor safety play.

Its one of the cheaper positions in the game, yet I'd maybe say the upgrade of Quin & Manning at CB has made a bigger impact than bringing in JJo at CB, good safety play gives you a second chance at the tackle on a play like that one, but also gives the CB's the freedom to gamble and play a bit more aggressive.

I'm very intrigued to see how the unit holds up against Peyton next week, its been a bit of an easy start, (you can only beat whats in front of you though) are they ready for a tougher test or not? I'm sure Wade will have them ready though.

Back