Pro Football Weekly Mock Draft-Love for Mario

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by CowboysTexansFan, Jan 24, 2007.

1. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

Hot off the press, I got my edition of PFW today. Its first mock draft has the Texans picking LaRon Landry at #8. Here is what PFW has to say about that:

"The talent that makes Gary Kubiak's offense go can be found, by and large, on the second day of the draft. To consistently beat the Colts and win the division, it will take defense, and Landry could make the same type of impact on the back end that Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans have already done on the front seven."

I'm glad to see Mario also getting some love (DeMeco's gotten plenty and he deserves it). While Mario's stats weren't flashy, he deserves a lot of credit for playing through the second half of the season with a painful foot injury, and doing a lot of things that helped the team but weren't necessarily obvious. I remember reading a post where the author determined that on a ridiculous number of plays when the Texans were on defense, the other team's offense ran AWAY from Mario's side of the line. Like 80-90% of the time. Amazing. I also recall one play in particular during the Dallas game on which Mario was TRIPLE teamed but firmly held his ground, which forced Julius Jones to turn and run in another direction because there was no hole where it was supposed to be. It was great.

I think Mario's going to be a force in this league for many years and look forward to seeing him at full health next season with a year's experience under his belt. And he'll be a grand old man at 22 years of age!

:marionaner:

P.S.: There's no link available yet, but quoting only two sentences constitutes fair use under the copyright laws. And yes, I'm a lawyer...

2. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Where do they have AP going??...

3. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

They have him going to Cleveland at #3. The commentary is quite complimentary towards AP. Here is an excerpt:

"In a black-and-blue division build on power football, there is no one better than Peterson for a team missing a premier back. ... Peterson improves the offense the most and will best placate an impatient owner. He creates holes where there are none, and with a subpar offensive line, he can be his own blocker. As a sidenote, Savage has drafted Sooners players on the first day in both of his drafts with the Browns and clearly trusts the information he receives from Bob Stoops."

Damn, after reading that, I hope he falls to #8 so we can take him...

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

pair 19 year old Amobi Okoye with Mario & those two young bucks would create all kinds of problems for teams like the Colts & 6 ft. 5 QB's w/lazer arms for the next 10-15 years :bubble:

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Thanks for shaing that, I'm glad Mario is getting some respect. I think sometimes only a portion of Texans fans appreciate just how good he was this year and what a dominant figure he can become for this team and in the NFL.

6. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

As far as the pick goes I would rather have Reggie Nelson at that pick. He is the best overall safety in my book and a top 10 pick in my book.

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum.cgi?board=copyright;action=display;num=1103466756

Thanks for the post. Just curious, where did you study for your law degree ?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

Just for everyones info, THIS IS WHAT IT READS: "Fair Use"

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/About+Us/ICtermsofuse.htm

So yes laywer are not...they give a ****.

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I'm not crazy about drafting safety's that high, unless the guy is just flat out special. IMO, neither of these guys fits that catagory. Very good safety's but not quite in that true elite class, therefore I would pass. AP is my #1 pick. I also wouldn't mind having Tedd Ginn. Imagine him and Mathis on kickoff returns. Who do you want to kick it to if you are the other team. Pick your poison. And, he can be a Real game changer and true burner at WR. If we go defense, let's look at yet another Dlineman like Gaines, or Paul P. I don't see a corner I want at #8 personally.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I'm against drafting defense for the 4th year in a row. Lets go offense, and find a good saftey in the 2nd round.

10. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Noted your avatar and wonder how you could be against drafting defense?

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Meh, the Bears did it right, but also knew when to draft offense. If our defense wasn't on the field for the majority of the game (due to the offensive miscues) then I'm sure it'd look a hell of a lot better.