Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason... Game 1... Kansas City Chiefs!!!

At some point this season all of us will be saying that Deshaun Watson is a superstar and the best quarterback in the game. I think he's going to win the league MVP award in 2018.

That first game I want to see Tom Brady pass the torch.
Brady is coming to an end. Pass it on to the young stud!

There's to many people on this board that obviously have better weed than me.

Reminds me of being on Viking message boards when we drafted Adrian Peterson and guys started talking about how he was the best running back in the league early on. Most piled on those guys including myself. I'm going to stay quiet this time.

Reminds me of being on Viking message boards when we drafted Adrian Peterson and guys started talking about how he was the best running back in the league early on. Most piled on those guys including myself. I'm going to stay quiet this time.

Anyone who saw Watson last season knows full well his potential, Texan fan or otherwise. You don't do stuff like that and not have the ability to be a superstar. The reason some of us remain pessimistic is we have long histories with Houston pro football that are hard to mentally shed.

Anyone who saw Watson last season knows full well his potential, Texan fan or otherwise. You don't do stuff like that and not have the ability to be a superstar. The reason some of us remain pessimistic is we have long histories with Houston pro football that are hard to mentally shed.

Hey Thorn : Quote me on this

Amen

LOL

Maybe you should sacrifice a field of Cannabis to appease the football gods .

At some point this season all of us will be saying that Deshaun Watson is a superstar and the best quarterback in the game. I think he's going to win the league MVP award in 2018.

That first game I want to see Tom Brady pass the torch.
Brady is coming to an end. Pass it on to the young stud!
If Watson can just stay healthy.

Just wanted to stop by (Thorn's post had me rolling though) and remind y'all (B.O.P.) that the rebroadcast of our first preseason game is about to start on channel 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

It is not even that deep. If someone has paid any attention to the NFL in general, he knows that there are way more dudes who looked like superstars that fizzled out (variety of reasons) than multi Superbowl winners. Great to be excited about Watson and through six games he appears to be the real deal, but that's six games

I missed the game due to work, I’ve watched multiple highlights and searched using his name and other ideas. But for some reason I can’t find video of josh Keyes hit everyone is talking about. Read articles about it, lol. Crazy. Anybody remember the time frame it happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I missed the game due to work, I’ve watched multiple highlights and searched using his name and other ideas. But for some reason I can’t find video of josh Keyes hit everyone is talking about. Read articles about it, lol. Crazy. Anybody remember the time frame it happened?

It was all over Facebook

I know I'm late to the party but here's a few of the guys that stood out to me (and a few that didn't)

* Akins - Looks like the real deal in the pass game. Lack of blocking prowess may limit snaps but I can see him being a really good red zone threat. I didn't like the pick when made, but I'm glad to be eating that crow.

* Lamar Miller - I know it was only what 4 carries, but he looked way quicker/faster and seemed more decisive. He may have a big year because the primary backup (Foreman) is iffy, especially early on.

* Speaking of RB, The Pontiff looks like lightening in a bottle, especially on screens, swing or wheel routes or as an outlet if all else is bottled up. I see 3rd down duties for him.

* Davenport - I liked what he did this game, and I'm feeling better about LT and to a somewhat lesser extent, the OL in general. My primary concern is extreme lack of depth at tackle with Rankin on the shelf. They will need to troll the waiver wire big time. Lamm is a joke as an NFL caliber tackle. Good guy - but not up to snuff.

* Coates/Ellington/Miller - they are had their moments in this game and Miller seems to have progressed. I like Coates more than I thought I would. He is a big target out there, and could be a factor in the return game. The question is how many guys can they carry? Ellington, Miller, and Coutee are somewhat similar. Can they carry all three on the roster? Doesn't seem likely. I think Ellington and Coutee (IF healthy) are locks. WR is going to be a ***** come cut day.

* Weeden/Webb - Guys I am feeling the depth and overall talent at QB this year. It's LIGHT YEARS ahead of last year. Why they released Weeden last year is beyond my ability to understand. In fact, I favored him to start over Tom. I was never in Savage's corner as he never developed as I had hoped. I'm not saying Weeden is Tom Terrific, but he is clearly better than Savage. Completely baffled by last year. And Webb is a true jack of all trades and a master of none, but that kind of guy can be valuable when putting together your 46 man game day roster. That could allow you to keep Weeden inactive on game day, and you have Webb as your backup QB, plays ST, could do some trickery, be an emergency WR or RB even. I like his versatility.

* Duke Ejiofor - Dude looks like a 3rd year player. I don't think he'll add much on run defense, but putting him out there on obvious passing downs with the other guys we have could be deadly. Early though it is - looks like a 6th round steal to me.

* Dylan Cole - A UDFA steal. He is everywhere and has speed and range. Great pickup last year and adds excellent depth and ST help.

* Josh Thornton - I have to admit, I don't know jack squat about this guy other than what I saw in the game, but he can play corner for sure and should add depth to the team. If he continues on that pace, he will easily make the team.

Some guys that didn't help their cause?

* Stephen Anderson, Tyler Ervin, Alfred Blue, Dee Virgin, Andre Chachere

Ervin and Blue MAY stick because RB is thin, but both better pick it up. Ervin looked like crap in the return game. Blue looked like he was wearing concrete shoes and a blindfold.

The other three better pray for injury, or a miracle from Heaven that they get a hell of a lot better in a hurry. Otherwise it's an *apple and a road map.

* Trademark - Spencer Tillman Enterprises unlimited

I know I'm late to the party but here's a few of the guys that stood out to me (and a few that didn't)

* Akins - Looks like the real deal in the pass game. Lack of blocking prowess may limit snaps but I can see him being a really good red zone threat. I didn't like the pick when made, but I'm glad to be eating that crow.

* Lamar Miller - I know it was only what 4 carries, but he looked way quicker/faster and seemed more decisive. He may have a big year because the primary backup (Foreman) is iffy, especially early on.

* Speaking of RB, The Pontiff looks like lightening in a bottle, especially on screens, swing or wheel routes or as an outlet if all else is bottled up. I see 3rd down duties for him.

* Davenport - I liked what he did this game, and I'm feeling better about LT and to a somewhat lesser extent, the OL in general. My primary concern is extreme lack of depth at tackle with Rankin on the shelf. They will need to troll the waiver wire big time. Lamm is a joke as an NFL caliber tackle. Good guy - but not up to snuff.

* Coates/Ellington/Miller - they are had their moments in this game and Miller seems to have progressed. I like Coates more than I thought I would. He is a big target out there, and could be a factor in the return game. The question is how many guys can they carry? Ellington, Miller, and Coutee are somewhat similar. Can they carry all three on the roster? Doesn't seem likely. I think Ellington and Coutee (IF healthy) are locks. WR is going to be a ***** come cut day.

* Weeden/Webb - Guys I am feeling the depth and overall talent at QB this year. It's LIGHT YEARS ahead of last year. Why they released Weeden last year is beyond my ability to understand. In fact, I favored him to start over Tom. I was never in Savage's corner as he never developed as I had hoped. I'm not saying Weeden is Tom Terrific, but he is clearly better than Savage. Completely baffled by last year. And Webb is a true jack of all trades and a master of none, but that kind of guy can be valuable when putting together your 46 man game day roster. That could allow you to keep Weeden inactive on game day, and you have Webb as your backup QB, plays ST, could do some trickery, be an emergency WR or RB even. I like his versatility.

* Duke Ejiofor - Dude looks like a 3rd year player. I don't think he'll add much on run defense, but putting him out there on obvious passing downs with the other guys we have could be deadly. Early though it is - looks like a 6th round steal to me.

* Dylan Cole - A UDFA steal. He is everywhere and has speed and range. Great pickup last year and adds excellent depth and ST help.

* Josh Thornton - I have to admit, I don't know jack squat about this guy other than what I saw in the game, but he can play corner for sure and should add depth to the team. If he continues on that pace, he will easily make the team.

Some guys that didn't help their cause?

* Stephen Anderson, Tyler Ervin, Alfred Blue, Dee Virgin, Andre Chachere

Ervin and Blue MAY stick because RB is thin, but both better pick it up. Ervin looked like crap in the return game. Blue looked like he was wearing concrete shoes and a blindfold.

The other three better pray for injury, or a miracle from Heaven that they get a hell of a lot better in a hurry. Otherwise it's an *apple and a road map.

* Trademark - Spencer Tillman Enterprises unlimited
The RB group should be Miller, Foreman, and Pope. It’s probably gonna be Miller, blue, and Pope though. I don’t see Foreman coming back from that Achilles rupture any time soon and be any good.

The RB group should be Miller, Foreman, and Pope. It’s probably gonna be Miller, blue, and Pope though. I don’t see Foreman coming back from that Achilles rupture any time soon and be any good.
Adrian Peterson is still working out hard every day here in Houston. He wants the Texans to give him a call. What would it take for that scenario to happen? An injury or two?

Adrian Peterson is still working out hard every day here in Houston. He wants the Texans to give him a call. What would it take for that scenario to happen? An injury or two?
I just don’t see that happening. The Patriots are more likely to sign Peterson than the Texans. He’ll probably go on to have a pro bowl season while our running backs keep rushing up the gut for 1.5-2 yard gains all season long.

Crossing my fingers that one of them breaks out, but my hopes are about average at this point when it comes to our running backs.

Last edited:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keyes' play comes in the 3rd Q with 1:17 left.

Solomon: Bill O'Brien needs preseason work, too

Jerome Solomon , Houston Chronicle Aug. 10, 2018

Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien calls a play from the sidelines against the Kansas City Chiefs during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game at Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018, in Kansas City.
Photo: Brett Coomer/Houston Chronicle
Typically, we evaluate only the players in preseason.

For one thing, with game plans being so basic for these games that don't matter, coaches are not trying to outcoach their counterparts. In fact, coaches talk before the game to discuss their gentleman's agreement as to how the game will be played.

And, more importantly, some 1,200 players are going to get cut in a few weeks, so real jobs are on the line.

No NFL coach is coaching for his life in the preseason. As much as fans might dislike their teams coaching staff, no head coach is going to be let go at the end of the preseason.

All that said, when I commented during the Texans-Chiefs game that Bill O'Brien was in midseason form by choosing to punt the football on 4th-and-1 on the game's first possession, I wasn't doing it for laughs.

That was no joke. That is how O'Brien operates.

And it is horrible decision-making.

Study after study after study shows the expected.

A couple Twitter followers suggested that going for it on fourth down in a preseason game would be unnecessarily showing something the Texans need to hide. Hogwash.

I'm not saying run your best trick play in a meaningless game. Just make good decisions. Game-winning decisions.

THE REST OF THE STORY.

I'm sorry, but Solomon needs to take his O'Brien-hating butt out of Houston. The way all the other starting vets were treated in this game, it should be obvious that O'Brien just wanted to get Watson off the field after letting him get his feet wet.

Though O'Brien and the Texans media are calling Keyes' hit a great hit as he showed perfect technique leading in with his shoulder, I've replayed it many times in slo mo.............there is no doubt in my mind, he lowered his head and led with his helmet, and I'm extremely surprised it wasn't called.

Though O'Brien and the Texans media are calling Keyes' hit a great hit as he showed perfect technique leading in with his shoulder, I've replayed it many times in slo mo.............there is no doubt in my mind, he lowered his head and led with his helmet, and I'm extremely surprised it wasn't called.

That was the first time I’ve seen the hit was the link that you posted. I immediately thought he lowered his head and read through the comments to see if he was flagged.

That was a bang bang type of play in a very fast environment. You can not expect the refs to be able to catch all of them. If a ball carrier leads with his helmet upon contact. Should he be flagged as well?

Back