Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Predictions for Sunday

I don't think we have much of a chance against the Saints. We've played 2 good games so far, but there are some deficiencies in our team that the Saints will exploit. I think they'll be successful running the ball and that'll be the main reason why I think the Saints will win. We have a very good offense, but I don't think we're at the level of the Saints or the Packers just yet. My prediction: Saints 34-Texans 14. I hope I'm wrong. I actually feel more optimistic about our chances against the Steelers at home.

lol...what are you talking about? The bears held Atlanta to 12 and the Pack held Carolina to 23.

:vincepalm:

I'm not really disagreeing with any of your earlier posts (per se), but did you just say that the Pack "held" Carolina to 23 points? Seriously?

Despite the fact that Cam the Wunderkid has thrown for a **** ton of yards, their season scoring average is 22 points, which is not exactly stellar (18th in scoring avg). Especially since Carolina scored more against GB than they did against freakin Arizona.

I'm not sure that "holding" the Panthers to 23 points, and "holding" a rookie QB to 422 yards passing is something that I'd be using as an example of a good defense.

my turn to :vincepalm:

Oh yeah, I forgot my prediction.

Zach Strief is going to wake up screaming for weeks after JJ Watt induces night mares in the poor slob.
Seriously, just a month ago Strief was interviewed and was saying how he hoped to prove he was good enough to start in the league.

That guy is going to get abused.

I'll admit that y'all have probably the best guard tandem in the league, but your tackles are going to get used in this game.
Additionally, if old man Kreutz can't hold his ground on passing downs, Breez isn't going to be able to step up in the pocket, and that will be a major risk factor for him since your tackles are going to have a hard time handling our edge rushers.

Your best bet will be running at the center of our defense to take advantage of your strength at OG, and our weakness at NT.

Prediction: JJ Watt gets career sacks 1 & 2 in this game. Mario gets a sack, and Antonio Smith gets a sack.
I also predict that every single Saints fan will remember the name JJ Watt for the rest of his career in the NFL after this game.

JJ Watt, Mario, Antonio.....aka THE SWAT PATROL reak havoc on Drew Brees.....with a couple of batted down balls....
Mario with 2 sacks...JJ Watts and Antonio with one each....
Josepth with a interception....

Andre Johnson....over 100 yards and TD...
Tate over 100 yards rushing..... 2 TDs
Daniels TD reception......
Schaub 250 yards passing.....
Jacoby Jones punt return for td......

Final score Texans 28 Saints 21......

This is a statement game......

So the Texans score 5 TD's, but only win 28-21?? :spit:

I'm not really disagreeing with any of your earlier posts (per se), but did you just say that the Pack "held" Carolina to 23 points? Seriously?

Despite the fact that Cam the Wunderkid has thrown for a **** ton of yards, their season scoring average is 22 points, which is not exactly stellar (18th in scoring avg). Especially since Carolina scored more against GB than they did against freakin Arizona.

I'm not sure that "holding" the Panthers to 23 points, and "holding" a rookie QB to 422 yards passing is something that I'd be using as an example of a good defense.

Whatever you want to call it, the point I was making was that someone (not sure if it was you) inferred that those defenses had not held any team under 30 yet this year, which is clearly false

As long as Allen does not play, I am cautiously optimistic that our defense will stop the Saints.

Texans 34-24

If Allen has to play signigicant time at CB all bets are off - Brees will kill us.

As long as Allen does not play, I am cautiously optimistic that our defense will stop the Saints.

Texans 34-24

If Allen has to play signigicant time at CB all bets are off - Brees will kill us.
We'll spend most of the day in nickel. so it'll either be McCain or Allen. Just hope JJo can go 4 quarters.

Apparently you missed the post our guest was responding to. That was an answer to "the Saints haven't faced a defense that has held anyone to under 30 points" (or words to that effect). I was about to call B/S on that statement myself because that statement was completely wrong.

My captain obvious prediction...someone will win and someone will loose.(someone give me a blog)

Texans 27-Saints 10 (drinkin the Koolaid...why not enjoy it before it comes shooting out my nose)

Saints throw for 300+ Yards, 3+ TD, No ints...if the Pack & the Bears couldn't pick Brees, I'll have to see it to believe the Texans will.
Saints Run for 125+ and at least a TD
Saints Sack Schaub at least twice
Saints Pick Schaub at least once

Texans throw for 230ish yards and 2 TD
Texans Run run for <100 yards and at least a TD
Texans Sack Brees at least once

Game is close early with both teams trading touchdowns and field goals, half time score is within 4 either way.

Saints pull away in second half, ending with final possession kneel downs.

Final Score: Saints 34, Texans 24

:runaway:

Texans run for less than 100 yards? Really? Maybe Ben Tate will finally run for less than 100 yards, but even Slaton could pick up the slack with our O-Line.

Predictions aren't my thing, but this much is true. NO is a dangerous, explosive team playing AT HOME. They are well coached, and will challenge the Texans early to get the crowd involved. I don't expect to win this one. I say this only because this Houston team is still struggling to mature while NO is already "THERE" as a team. That being said, the any given Sunday thing is always on, and our Defense now causes turnovers......MY OFFICIAL PREDICTION IS............NO 17 HOU 13 (but my inner homer is pissed at me and begs to differ)

Texans - 31
Saints - 24

Texans take the "Manning" approach by keeping Brees on sideline and pounding the rock and controlling the clock..

Tate goes for 115 and 2TDs...

Don't forget that the Manning approach led to the Saints' first Super Bowl win.

You misunderstood. When he says The Manning Approach, he means the approach that we would use to beat Peyton.
Run the ball, run some more, then run some more. Control the clock and keep your dangerous offense off the field.
Obviously, that's a strategy that could be used by either the Saints or Texans, but IMO, the Texans are equipped to pull it off

You misunderstood. When he says The Manning Approach, he means the approach that we would use to beat Peyton.
Run the ball, run some more, then run some more. Control the clock and keep your dangerous offense off the field.
Obviously, that's a strategy that could be used by either the Saints or Texans, but IMO, the Texans are equipped to pull it off

Oh, sorry. But, the Saints are equipped to stop that strategy. That's why they signed the two of the top three rated free agent defensive tackles this off-season - Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin. Adding this pair to the Saints' Sedrick Ellis gives them perhaps the best run stopping rotation in the league according to some.

The Saints have allowed an average of 81.5 yards against the Packers and Bears. I really doubt the Manning Approach would work against a much more formidable defensive line than the Colts sport.

Oh, sorry. But, the Saints are equipped to stop that strategy. That's why they signed the two of the top three rated free agent defensive tackles this off-season - Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin. Adding this pair to the Saints' Sedrick Ellis gives them perhaps the best run stopping rotation in the league according to some.

The Saints have allowed an average of 81.5 yards against the Packers and Bears. I really doubt the Manning Approach would work against a much more formidable defensive line than the Colts sport.
The Pack and the Bears don't run the ZBS like we do, either. I'm not overly impressed with Ellis.
He's above average-ish but by no means a game changer.

The Pack and the Bears don't run the ZBS like we do, either. I'm not overly impressed with Ellis.
He's above average-ish but by no means a game changer.

Perhaps you will be more impressed tomorrow. Watch closely. His job is to demand two blockers and he does it well.

Perhaps you will be more impressed tomorrow. Watch closely. His job is to demand two blockers and he does it well.
Perhaps, but how will he do against our ZBS? That's the difference maker in our running game. Our OL does it well.

Saints 31 - Texans 24

I'm just not quite convinced that the D is ready. Obviously they are MUCH improved, but I think it will still take time for them to be able to handle an offense like the Saints.

Turnovers and QB pressure will be key.

Perhaps, but how will he do against our ZBS? That's the difference maker in our running game. Our OL does it well.

The question should be how will your zone blocking does against a continuous rotation of big bodies in the middle? They can wear down the blocking and quickly shut holes the tailback sees early. I expect to see your RB's running into the backs of their own blockers more often than usual tomorrow.

Last edited:
Saints 31 - Texans 24

I'm just not quite convinced that the D is ready. Obviously they are MUCH improved, but I think it will still take time for them to be able to handle an offense like the Saints.

Turnovers and QB pressure will be key.

This is close to what I am expecting.

The question should be how will your zone blocking does against a continuous rotation of big bodies in the middle? They can wear down the blocking and quickly shut holes the tailback sees early. I expect to see your RB's running into the backs of their own blockers more often than usual tomorrow.

& That's why they play the game.

As good as the Saints may be, they're not the best team we've ever faced. Regardless what defense we've fielded, we've played high power offenses before & managed to get a win or two. We've also been known to score 30+ points before, against damn good defense.

& That's why they play the game.

As good as the Saints may be, they're not the best team we've ever faced. Regardless what defense we've fielded, we've played high power offenses before & managed to get a win or two. We've also been known to score 30+ points before, against damn good defense.

And that is where the Dome comes into play. The Dome has always been one of the most imposing venues to play in and that was before the off-season upgrades that added over 3,000 seats much closer to the field. Few home fields in the NFL have as meaningful advantage as does the Superdome.

I would love to hear input from any of you that made it to the game. All visiting fans that I have talked with after games have commented on how deafening the noise was. They also commented on the classiness of the Saints fans.

And that is where the Dome comes into play. The Dome has always been one of the most imposing venues to play in and that was before the off-season upgrades that added over 3,000 seats much closer to the field. Few home fields in the NFL have as meaningful advantage as does the Superdome.

I would love to hear input from any of you that made it to the game. All visiting fans that I have talked with after games have commented on how deafening the noise was. They also commented on the classiness of the Saints fans.
By "the dome has always been an imposing place to play", you really mean a sporadically hard place to play, right? I'm not trying to be a dick, but the Saints have a lot longer history of suckage than intimidation of any sort. :kitten:
Having said that, I do agree that it's a hostile place to play, especially the last 10 years or so.

My guess is that we are gonna game plan similar to the Dolphins game. Give up the underneath passes and the run to stop the middle and deep threat. Brees is way better than Henne so I dunno effective that strategy will be.

I think we have a good chance on the ground to grind out a lot of yards on the ground. I'd like our chances better with Foster, but with Tate I think we can win 27-20

I don't think we'll run straight at those guys. I expect stretch plays and a couple of screens to get those guys running laterally.

And if Arian is playing and healthy he won't do too much running up the backs if his linemen. His vision is A1.

Saints have the advantage overall, but if we are playing at a high level it will be a good game.

By "the dome has always been an imposing place to play", you really mean a sporadically hard place to play, right? I'm not trying to be a dick, but the Saints have a lot longer history of suckage than intimidation of any sort. :kitten:
Having said that, I do agree that it's a hostile place to play, especially the last 10 years or so.

Sorry, I'm an old fart and remember the days of the Dome Patrol which was arguably one of the best defenses in league history. But yes, the last ten years or so have been very hostile. That brief history coincides quite closely with the entire history of the current Houston franchise. More relevant period than the distant past.

Sorry, I'm an old fart and remember the days of the Dome Patrol which was arguably one of the best defenses in league history. But yes, the last ten years or so have been very hostile. That brief history coincides quite closely with the entire history of the current Houston franchise. More relevant period than the distant past.
Very true. I know that distant history has very little to do with tomorrows game. I just didn;t want to pass up a chance to rub your nose in it. I've been an Oiler/Texan fan since 1975 or so, so I feel your pain.
The Dome Patrol roughly correlates to our "House of Pain", but we also had a helluva D in the late 70's with Wade's daddy, and ex NOLA coach, Bum.

Very true. I know that distant history has very little to do with tomorrows game. I just didn;t want to pass up a chance to rub your nose in it. I've been an Oiler/Texan fan since 1975 or so, so I feel your pain.
The Dome Patrol roughly correlates to our "House of Pain", but we also had a helluva D in the late 70's with Wade's daddy, and ex NOLA coach, Bum.

Yup. I remember that period all too well. The Bum years transitioned us from the bag wearing 1980-81 seasons into the Mora era where we finally realized what winning was like. Oh, and you do know that we had both Bum and Wade as head coach, right? 1985.

Yup. I remember that period all too well. The Bum years transitioned us from the bag wearing 1980-81 seasons into the Mora era where we finally realized what winning was like. Oh, and you do know that we had both Bum and Wade as head coach, right? 1985.
Yeah, I do. Wade is one of those guys that makes a better coordinator than head coach. Bum was the ****, though.

My guess is that we are gonna game plan similar to the Dolphins game. Give up the underneath passes and the run to stop the middle and deep threat. Brees is way better than Henne so I dunno effective that strategy will be.

I think we have a good chance on the ground to grind out a lot of yards on the ground. I'd like our chances better with Foster, but with Tate I think we can win 27-20

Brees is that QB who almost invites you to make him roll in and out of the pocket. He WANTS the pressure.

But then again, he'll pick ya' apart if you DON'T pressure him.

Sometimes, it feels like you literally have got to just hope the people around him fall apart and make their own bad luck out there. A dropped ball here and there (like Colston catching and then fumbling a pass vs. the Packers in game 1 this year). To me, that was a foreshadowing of what kind of ending would occur in that game. Colston doesn't do that, and I even think that was the play where he broke his clavicle IIRC.

I dunno. I just think we're going to lose this game. I have a wonky feeling about this game. We're in their house after having played very well vs. Saints in our own house in preseason. Brees is legit, obviously.

Could be a tight game. Could be a blowout. I don't even know which side ends up winning the damn thing. I guess that's why we all tune in, right?

I think the Saints big DTs can be negated by the zone blocking system, which forces the defenders to move laterally. Not what these guys do best.

Few home fields in the NFL have as meaningful advantage as does the Superdome.
I realize that it is very loud in the Superdome. It can be very loud at Reliant. It's just that the "meaningful advantage" doesn't necessarily reflect in the record. The Saints are 25-16 at home in the Payton era. That's OK, but hardly meaningful. They're 26-15 on the road over the same period.

Brees is that QB who almost invites you to make him roll in and out of the pocket. He WANTS the pressure.

But then again, he'll pick ya' apart if you DON'T pressure him.

Sometimes, it feels like you literally have got to just hope the people around him fall apart and make their own bad luck out there. A dropped ball here and there (like Colston catching and then fumbling a pass vs. the Packers in game 1 this year). To me, that was a foreshadowing of what kind of ending would occur in that game. Colston doesn't do that, and I even think that was the play where he broke his clavicle IIRC.

I dunno. I just think we're going to lose this game. I have a wonky feeling about this game. We're in their house after having played very well vs. Saints in our own house in preseason. Brees is legit, obviously.

Could be a tight game. Could be a blowout. I don't even know which side ends up winning the damn thing. I guess that's why we all tune in, right?

Yup. Three hours, thirty-six minutes away. But who's counting?

Yup. Three hours, thirty-six minutes away. But who's counting?

I'm counting while I'm getting the groceries ready. Sure wish I could have been there. I was fourtunate enough to be able to attend the PS game last season with a group of Blue Crewers and had a blast.

:gotexans1

I will bump this saying that some of my predictions (Brees, multiple picks, winning turnover battle) and some were off (High completion %/low yardage for schaub, Texans winning, etc).

Congrats to all who proved right. I think I'll start a new prediction thread tommorrow.

Saints throw for 300+ Yards, 3+ TD, No ints...if the Pack & the Bears couldn't pick Brees, I'll have to see it to believe the Texans will. OUCH!
Saints Run for 125+ and at least a TD
Saints Sack Schaub at least twice
Saints Pick Schaub at least once

Texans throw for 230ish yards and 2 TD
Texans Run run for >100 yards and at least a TD
Texans Sack Brees at least once

Game is close early with both teams trading touchdowns and field goals, half time score is within 4 either way. Close but no cigar.

Saints pull away in second half, ending with final possession kneel downs.

Final Score: Saints 34 (+6), Texans 24(+9)

Back