Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Predict the texans FIRST RD pick....

Sitting on the front porch of the Gage Hotel with a coffee in hand and about to throw a dip in before we head down to Big Bend - I am definitely flexing my Texan this morning and have found clarity in my draft prognostication.

I want Orakpo, but Rey Maualuga is going to be the face of the Texans D for years to come. :texflag:

Where does he play on our D? Are you in the move DeMeco to Will camp?

I expressed the same opinion about Barwin and was accused for stereotyping because he is white. I would like for Jenkins to fall in our lap too.

However, I believe that Washington is going to try real hard at Sanchez and Orakpo ends up falling to us. Who cares if isn't going to play all 3 downs for us. He only needs to play one and that hopefully is when he crushes the QB and forces a punt or Mario ends up getting the same result.

To me it's not because he's white but he has a similar skill set coming out of college and might get taken earlier then he probably should go because of it. He's what makes me nervous. I know we have a new staff in place finally but, I'm not sure I am sold on their collective ability YET to develop talent. Past few years I've seen talent regress on the defensice side of the ball under Smith. Bennett real solid rookie season, regressed. Amobi early rookie returns, regressed. Demps comes in makes pro bowl alternate, regressed and released.

That's what scares me about a few of the tweeners from this draft. Might have great upside in a 3-4 or can try to switch them to LB. I'm not sure this staff can help them make that transition or that we can afford breakdowns in LB coverage in the middle of the field. I was overjoyed when we cut Morlon for that reason. If we go defense the first round I'd much rather take a safer pick who might not night have hall of fame potential but steps in and is ready to go from day one.

Barwin might have elite measurables but, might end up as a wasted Babin pick if this staff can't develop him correctly. We've gotten lucky ona few of our developmental picks but really this year we need a guy who can come in day one and contribute big. I like Jenkins a lot for that reason. I don't think he'd come in and take Reeves spot immediately but I think he immediately becomes the team's best nickleback and really provide some leverage with Dunta. Sign a moderate deal or trade him.

I still say Bill is the way to go...and they also need a secondary. While they're at it, they need to free "Hat" McCoy!

Free Hat!
Free Hat!
Free Hat!

I may have just thrown up in my mouth a little. No offense, but these would be awful picks in the 1st.

I wouldn't be surprised if we took Michael Johnson on draft day. He certainly isn't my first choice but I would not be surprised.

If we could keep him motivated, he could end up being one of the best players to come out of this draft class.

As for my prediction:

I hate to go along with everyone else, but I'm thinkin Clay Matthews.
No trade down.

If we go more tampa2 like I think we will I could see us draft Vontae Davis at CB we could have a pretty stout defense on the edges. Mario and Antonio Smith should both be strong and physical against the run and Dunta and Vontae (shouldn't he change his name to Vunta if he signs here?) would be above average run stoppers at CB. I get a feeling we would look at Benie Wells if he is there at 15 too if you want some out of the box thinking and we just don't win on third and short and first and goal enough. We would win more of those situations with a guy like Wells.

If we go more tampa2 like I think we will I could see us draft Vontae Davis at CB we could have a pretty stout defense on the edges. Mario and Antonio Smith should both be strong and physical against the run and Dunta and Vontae (shouldn't he change his name to Vunta if he signs here?) would be above average run stoppers at CB. I get a feeling we would look at Benie Wells if he is there at 15 too if you want some out of the box thinking and we just don't win on third and short and first and goal enough. We would win more of those situations with a guy like Wells.

If you want Davis in any type of system that requires him to be more physical then our coaches are going to have to be in his ear a lot.

Davis has the ability to play physical and tackle well, but mentally he is kind of a p**** and looks to avoid most contact.

I think we trade down and go with Darius Butler at 21... If we went all the way to 31 we'd take Clint Sintim.

What I want to happen is Moreno falls to 15 and we take him. OR
we trade back and pick Donald Brown. Check my posts I want a Running back. We were lucky with Slaton on many fronts, talent durabilty (last year), LET'S NOT PUSH IT! I don't like the Texans chances with a running game post-Davis and pre-Slaton. If we have that we have no chance because Matt will not survive if the pass is our only option. Just my opinion.

Darius Butler

tie-breaker: Kevin Huber, P, Cincinnati

If Oakland can take a punter in the first round so can the Texans.

I'll go surprise pick and go with Rey Maualuga. The whole Clay Matthews thing was just a HUGE smokescreen of epic proportions. :)

Last edited:
Three needs the Texans could adress in first round.
1. Malcom Jenkins....Malcom Jenkins...Malcom Jenkins.
2. Running back or QB (sorry I just dont trust Orlovsky)
3.clone Tim Bulman and draft another one of him. A high energy d-lineman( Orakpo if he is there)

Three needs the Texans could adress in first round.
1. Malcom Jenkins....Malcom Jenkins...Malcom Jenkins.
2. Running back or QB (sorry I just dont trust Orlovsky)
3.clone Tim Bulman and draft another one of him. A high energy d-lineman( Orakpo if he is there)

Draft a QB in the first to upgrade the backup QB?--ummm, not happening.

Draft a QB in the first to upgrade the backup QB?--ummm, not happening.
I am just worried about Schaub's durability and Orlovsky as the back up. It all depends upon what happens with Sanchez. Teams may be desparate to get Freeman and if he is gone..then forget QB position..IF Sanchez is there you have to think about taking him..Freeman not so much.

RB-If moreno is there you take him no doubt.

I think first priority is secondary mainly saftey then Corner. Bennett and D-Rob could be great corners for years.

D-line (not a top priority) heck we have spent how much on that line?

Linebacker-Demeco needs some help and more athletic versitle LB to give him a hand.

I see the needs as this.
1. SS- we need good safties to provide support for corners.
2.RB-Slaton needs help. (Moreno and slaton..sweet)(play action would be unstoppable)
3.OT- cant go wrong with adding to protecting Schaub
5-D-line...Orakpo only

I am just worried about Schaub's durability and Orlovsky as the back up. It all depends upon what happens with Sanchez. Teams may be desparate to get Freeman and if he is gone..then forget QB position..IF Sanchez is there you have to think about taking him..Freeman not so much.

It's one thing to discuss what the Texans have done and their wisdom in their faith in Schaub, Orlovsky, etc. but you need to face reality in looking at the draft. They aren't drafting to replace either one. They might draft (late) a QB to be #3 or on the practice squad but it simply isn't happening to replace the 1st two no matter how much any fan disagrees with their assessment.

I think first priority is secondary mainly saftey then Corner. Bennett and D-Rob could be great corners for years.

Bennett needs to earn a starting job at this point rather than being considered someone who is so good you don't draft at that position.

3.OT- cant go wrong with adding to protecting Schaub

Another simply won't happen.

It's one thing to discuss what the Texans have done and their wisdom in their faith in Schaub, Orlovsky, etc. but you need to face reality in looking at the draft. They aren't drafting to replace either one. They might draft (late) a QB to be #3 or on the practice squad but it simply isn't happening to replace the 1st two no matter how much any fan disagrees with their assessment.

Bennett needs to earn a starting job at this point rather than being considered someone who is so good you don't draft at that position.

Another simply won't happen.

The Texans fired the guy that kept Bennett off of the field. When Bennetts in the game Texans make stops. I think we dont need to look to the draft for our CB we have them on our team. Texans need to protect middle of the field and provide over the top protection to aid our corners.

Maddict5. I can't reply to the pick 20 players thread for some reason so I'll put my picks here.

1-Clay Matthews LB
2-Michael Johnson DE
3-Jairus Byrd CB
4-Cedric Peerman RB
4-Chris Clemons FS
5-Terrance Taylor DT
6-Trevor Canfield G
7-Blake Schlueter C
8-Louis Delmas S
9-Knowshon Moreno RB
10-Brian Cushing LB
11-Darius Butler CB
12-Shonn Greene RB
13-Rashad Jennings RB
14-Sean Smith S
15-William Moore S
16-Chip Vaughn S
17-Lawrence Sidbury DE
18-Darryl Richard DT
19-Malcolm Jenkins CB
20-Vontae Davis CB

I slept like a baby .... I have a feeling that this is gonna be a solid draft for the Texans.

Agreed. Nothing is certain in a Texans draft. But faith in Smithiak is a must, and I'm sure we'll be sitting here next year, asking for more of the same.

I said trade down & take Barwin earlier & still believe that could happen due to his versatility, non stop motor, quickness, etc. etc., but I keep thinking about how Kubiak has said several times that our #1 pick has to be a player that will start & have an immediate impact. I'm not a big fan of Matthews or Cushing.

So, with that thought in mind, I'm going to make one trade up prediction (in other words, a wild ass guess) & say that if Orakpo drops to Jacksonville at #8, we'll send our 1st & 2nd round pick to them for the rights to Orakpo. :D:tomato:

we can have a separate thread where you make a list of 20 guys you think we might take and see who gets the most right but for now, with about exactly 48 hrs until the texans are on the clock, everybody makes one choice. rep only for the right guess.

il start: everette brown
tie-breaker: no trade down

peria jerry

If Malcolm Jenkins is not available at 15, I hope to get Cushing or trade down for Matthews.

Back