T (4) - Tunsil, Howard, Fisher, Heck
IOL (5) - Scruggs, Mason, Patterson, Kenyon Green, Kendrick Green

EDGE (5) - Anderson, Hunter, Autry, Barnett, Horton
DT (5) - Fatukasi, Settle, Davis, Hinish, Harris
LB (5) - Al-Shaair, Harris, To'oTo'o, Hansen, Hill
CB (6) - Stingley, Lassiter, Bryant, Okudah, King, Ford
S (4) - Ward, Pitre, Bullock, Murray

ST (3) - Fairbairn, Townsend, Weeks
So you don't have Byrd the 8th pick DE and Henderson the 9th pick G making the team? Why not? Maybe the practice squad?
I guess if 7 of the 9 draft picks make the team, that's actually pretty good.

So you don't have Byrd the 8th pick DE and Henderson the 9th pick G making the team? Why not? Maybe the practice squad?
I guess if 7 of the 9 draft picks make the team, that's actually pretty good.
My guess is they hit the practice squad. The team is going to be much harder to make for day 3 picks this year.

Henderson may make the cut if he has a great training camp due to his ability to play both Guard and Tackle.

The Edge group on the team is pretty deep. I can't imagine Byrd will make the regular roster.

Yep. Made a statement to my wife while all the CBs/DTs were flying off the board, "Every player taken now, means one more FA later." (It was really just to soothe myself after CBs/Newton was taken above us, but it holds up.)
Texans have the rookie mini camp and OTAs to make some quick assessments and make room for a couple I would imagine.

Have they talkes about how they want to use Autry? That is one of the biggest question marks to me (CB2 is the other). Will he be the primary backup DE on both sides and slide inside for clear passing downs - or will he mainly play DT as long as our two DE starters are healthy? I'd feel a lot better about our DT situation if Autry is the main starter here, but I don't know if that is feasible.

Oh, and I don't know anything about college football and have only seen highlights but: Byrd looks really, really good to me. I would really like to see him make the squad.

First draft roster projection:

Offense: 26
2 QB: Stroud, Keenum
4 RB: Mixon, Pierce, Jordan, Ogunbowale
1 FB: Beck
6 WR: Diggs, Collins, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Woods
2 LT: Tunsil, Heck
2 LG: Green 1 Green 2
2 C: Scruggs, Patterson
1 RG: Mason
2 RT: Howard, Fisher
4 TE: Schultz, Stover, Quitoriano, Jordan

Defense: 24
4 DE: Anderson, Hunter, Barnett, Edwards
4 DT: Fatukasi, Autry, Settle, Davis
6 LB: Al-Sha'air, Harris, To'o To'o, Hewitt, Hill, Hansen
5 CB: Stingley, Okudah, Lassiter, Bryant, Henderson
5 S: Pitre, Ward, Bullock, Stewart, Murray

ST: 3
1 Punter: Townsend
1 Kicker: Fairbairn
1 LS: Weeks

Reactions: JB
Have they talkes about how they want to use Autry? That is one of the biggest question marks to me (CB2 is the other). Will he be the primary backup DE on both sides and slide inside for clear passing downs - or will he mainly play DT as long as our two DE starters are healthy? I'd feel a lot better about our DT situation if Autry is the main starter here, but I don't know if that is feasible.

Oh, and I don't know anything about college football and have only seen highlights but: Byrd looks really, really good to me. I would really like to see him make the squad.
From 2014 to 2019, first Oakland then Indy, played Autry a majority of his snaps inside at the DL3T position and 30% - 40% of his snaps at the DL4T position.

In 2020, Indy moved him outside to the DL5T position for the majority of his snaps, with about 25% at the DL4T position.

In 2021, Tennessee kept him outside.

My understanding is that the Texans will move him back inside to the DL3T position.

QB (3) - Stroud, Mills, Keenum
RB (4) - Mixon, Pierce, Jordan, Beck
TE (3) - Schultz, Stover, Jordan
WR (6) - Collins, Diggs, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Hutchinson

This except put Horton on IR and add Byrd.

Take Beck off and add Henderson.

I dont see a spot, but I think Hairston not only makes the team, but along with Fisher/Stover, Hairston really helps improve the run game. There looks to be excellent dpth on the team. What a difference a yr makes. Thanks Caserio/ Ryans.

QB (3) - Stroud, Mills, Keenum
RB (4) - Mixon, Pierce, Jordan, Beck
TE (3) - Schultz, Stover, Jordan
WR (6) - Collins, Diggs, Dell, Metchie, Brown, Hutchinson

Like the list w/ the exception of Horton and Beck...is Horton back from his personal medical issues are reasons for leaving the team last year?? And with the addition of Stover I think that can eliminate Beck as FB and open up a roster spot for someone else. So that would be 2 available spots on the roster.

Like the list w/ the exception of Horton and Beck...is Horton back from his personal medical issues are reasons for leaving the team last year?? And with the addition of Stover I think that can eliminate Beck as FB and open up a roster spot for someone else. So that would be 2 available spots on the roster.
I don't know if Horton will be ready to go. They may have to designate him as IR. Interesting thought regarding Beck, but that depends on how well Stover can operate as a lead blocker.

I don't know if Horton will be ready to go. They may have to designate him as IR. Interesting thought regarding Beck, but that depends on how well Stover can operate as a lead blocker.
Jordan will be playing the H-Back/FB role and that's if Hairston doesn't make the team. I also dont know how but I've got a feeling somehow Dare makes the team. Ryans values ST's.

Autry will spend a lot of time at DT barring injury.

^This. My guess is that he'll be playing the 3-tech DT in our nickel packages, having a player who put up 11.5 sacks last year in that spot should dramatically increase our defensive pass rush.
PFF uses their own nominclature, theirs being: BGP (inside the tackle, wbich would be the 3T position) ; then OVT (over the tackle, which would be the 4T position); and OUT (outside the tackle, which would be the 5T position).

Last year at Tennessee, they have Autry with 48 snaps at BGP, 223 snaps at OVT and 494 snaps at OUT.

Autry, last year at Tennessee, was at DE 2/3 of his snaps. 2019 was the last year Autry took significant snaps inside. He had only one year, 2018, when he had double digit sacks playing inside, when he had 10. In 2019 he had 4. He actually was far more sucessful with sacks playing outside, with double digit sacks in 2020, 2021 and 2023. In 2022 he had 9.

There's no doubt that majority of sacks will come from the DE position, but getting push up the middle from a pass-rushing DT will collapse the pocket. If Autry has 6 sacks from DT, and WA has 12+ sacks that's an enormous gain.

Jordan will be playing the H-Back/FB role and that's if Hairston doesn't make the team. I also dont know how but I've got a feeling somehow Dare makes the team. Ryans values ST's.
I like the idea of Brevin Jordan filling the the H back/FB role..that could be quite effective not to mention deceptive if they have him leak out and turn on the jets after getting out.

I think that is what they'll do as well, I just have some worries about his blocking. He's willing enough, but in reviewing last year's games he would just brain fart and completely not take the right assignment and we took several negative plays because of it. Hopefully another year in the system helps him.

Also given the addition of Diggs we might not be running quite so much 12 as we were last year.

I think that is what they'll do as well, I just have some worries about his blocking. He's willing enough, but in reviewing last year's games he would just brain fart and completely not take the right assignment and we took several negative plays because of it. Hopefully another year in the system helps him.

Also given the addition of Diggs we might not be running quite so much 12 as we were last year.
Jordan did a much, much better job of blocking than Beck did

Jordan did a much, much better job of blocking than Beck did
Yeah quite possibly and it wasn't the blocking itself it was more the completely blown assignments at key times.

And overall I don't dislike the idea it's more that he's got to tighten up.

more the completely blown assignments at key times.
There was a lot of that going on all over the line by appearances, but we can't really know the assignments without knowing the playcall

I feel good about eight of the eleven positions and one of the 8 I feel uneasy about. If they spent a second-round draft pick on an OT, that ether means: 1) they're concerned about Tytus Howard's ability to start the season, 2) they plan on moving Howard full-time to guard (terrible idea), 3) they're not comfortable with Heck being their swing (he gave up one sack in 249 snaps last year, I think he's adequate), 4) they felt so good about all the other positions that they could burn a high pick for the future. Or it could be a combination of factors that swayed them to go in the direction they did. It could be something I didn't list above, like they really love Fisher and felt he was too good to pass up at 59 and that past him they didn't like any of the other tackles that were sure to be there for their next pick. Regardless, the IOL needed more attention in the offseason as it was a problem last year.

The other two positions that I'm curious about are on the defensive side of the ball. In fact, the defense is a bit of a mystery to me. A lot of personnel changes, is Stingley going to hold up for an entire year, how will Lassiter factor in, Jimmy Ward's injury, etc. I think Lassiter will be your nickel, I guess Okudah will be opposite Stingley but he's (Okudah) not consistent.

I feel good about eight of the eleven positions and one of the 8 I feel uneasy about. If they spent a second-round draft pick on an OT, that ether means: 1) they're concerned about Tytus Howard's ability to start the season, 2) they plan on moving Howard full-time to guard (terrible idea), 3) they're not comfortable with Heck being their swing (he gave up one sack in 249 snaps last year, I think he's adequate), 4) they felt so good about all the other positions that they could burn a high pick for the future. Or it could be a combination of factors that swayed them to go in the direction they did. It could be something I didn't list above, like they really love Fisher and felt he was too good to pass up at 59 and that past him they didn't like any of the other tackles that were sure to be there for their next pick. Regardless, the IOL needed more attention in the offseason as it was a problem last year.

The other two positions that I'm curious about are on the defensive side of the ball. In fact, the defense is a bit of a mystery to me. A lot of personnel changes, is Stingley going to hold up for an entire year, how will Lassiter factor in, Jimmy Ward's injury, etc. I think Lassiter will be your nickel, I guess Okudah will be opposite Stingley but he's (Okudah) not consistent.
The IOL will be fine with better health.

Okudah will be an upgrade injuries are what's caused his inconsistencies

The IOL will be fine with better health.

Okudah will be an upgrade injuries are what's caused his inconsistencies
With the DB room as it stands now, Texans have a lot of options and that is what I think they were aiming at - they might even luck into a starter opposite Stingley but in the meantime, they have options to work with.

I still wonder if we have the horses on defense.

At this point it feels like a given Stingley will miss some time this year. When/if that happens we may have a big corner issue.

Safety is weird, Ward gets injured too much and Pitre is a big question mark to me.

Linebacker we have two players I feel good about and nothing else. I don’t feel good about how things will look when we have 3 LB’s on the field and I certainly don’t feel good about how things look if Harris or Azeez get injured.

Dline seems fairly solid but I do worry about DT just a little bit depending on how they want to use Autry

Regarding CB2, I think they've got three possible starters - Lassiter (likely, IMO, unless they prefer him at nickel), Okudah, and Henderson (least likely, but who knows). Whoever takes it should be fine. You'll always have some weak spots on a team, but I think we'll have a decent starter in that position.

Regarding Fisher, my guess is that Howard's injury may be more serious than they're letting on. I think CnD listed potential concerns with his type of injury. It could indicate they'll give it a shot with him this year, but are preparing in case they need to move on from him next year. Tunsil is also getting older and as vital as LT is, they may be thinking taking a guy with a high ceiling and letting him get coached up in their system for a couple of years is preferable to hoping you can find a good FA in a few years or hoping a good LT is available in the draft when you need one.

My biggest question on the team is DT. There's a lot of churn this year at that position and we'll have two new starters. I don't know how that's going to pan out, but I trust Demeco to know what he needs on the front four. Obviously, they feel really good about it because they didn't draft a DT until the 7th. If they have the recipe right at DT, with the strong edge rushers we have, this defense is going to shut opposing offenses down.

Regarding CB2, I think they've got three possible starters - Lassiter (likely, IMO, unless they prefer him at nickel), Okudah, and Henderson (least likely, but who knows). Whoever takes it should be fine. You'll always have some weak spots on a team, but I think we'll have a decent starter in that position.

Regarding Fisher, my guess is that Howard's injury may be more serious than they're letting on. I think CnD listed potential concerns with his type of injury. It could indicate they'll give it a shot with him this year, but are preparing in case they need to move on from him next year. Tunsil is also getting older and as vital as LT is, they may be thinking taking a guy with a high ceiling and letting him get coached up in their system for a couple of years is preferable to hoping you can find a good FA in a few years or hoping a good LT is available in the draft when you need one.

My biggest question on the team is DT. There's a lot of churn this year at that position and we'll have two new starters. I don't know how that's going to pan out, but I trust Demeco to know what he needs on the front four. Obviously, they feel really good about it because they didn't draft a DT until the 7th. If they have the recipe right at DT, with the strong edge rushers we have, this defense is going to shut opposing offenses down.
I kinda doubt the injury theory around Howard just because why would they restructure him this offseason and make it harder to move on in the future if that is the case?

I still wonder if we have the horses on defense.

At this point it feels like a given Stingley will miss some time this year. When/if that happens we may have a big corner issue.

Safety is weird, Ward gets injured too much and Pitre is a big question mark to me.

Linebacker we have two players I feel good about and nothing else. I don’t feel good about how things will look when we have 3 LB’s on the field and I certainly don’t feel good about how things look if Harris or Azeez get injured.

Dline seems fairly solid but I do worry about DT just a little bit depending on how they want to use Autry
Those are legitimate concerns. My guess going into the season is that Stingley's conditioning will be much better. He was in much better condition last year as opposed to his rookie year and I think he'll keep working on his durability.

There were so many injuries at safety last year that at different points we were starting Amos, Houston-Carson, and the elder K-Jack. I think Ward will miss several games again. I believe Pitre will play better in year 2 of Demeco's defense, but he also missed some games due to injury.

I think To'oTo'o will make a similar year 2 jump that Harris did. Hansen is decent in spot duty. The rest of the depth is a big question mark.

I kinda doubt the injury theory around Howard just because why would they restructure him this offseason and make it harder to move on in the future if that is the case?
I really hope he can come back this season at full strength. A full strength combo of Tunsil and Howard at the tackle spots would be ideal. I'd be concerned to see them starting the season with Heck or Fisher at RT.

As for the contract, he was extended in July of 2023 and got the knee injury in week 12 of the season.

I really hope he can come back this season at full strength. A full strength combo of Tunsil and Howard at the tackle spots would be ideal. I'd be concerned to see them starting the season with Heck or Fisher at RT.

As for the contract, he was extended in July of 2023 and got the knee injury in week 12 of the season.
Right but didn’t we restructure him this offseason as well, that’s what I’m referencing unless I’m not remembering correctly.

They reduced his salary cap hit for 2024. Next year is next year.

Right but didn’t we restructure him this offseason as well, that’s what I’m referencing unless I’m not remembering correctly.
They restructured in March, this year.

It's possible they just keep screwing up when it comes to Howard's albatross of a contract. Caserio should've never re-signed him to begin with and now it looks like he's compounded his mistake. Although I understand why he re-worked Howard's deal, he needed the money for the Diggs deal.

I'm thinking Fisher will be an upgrade even if Howard's healthy. Howard's been stealing money for yrs.

If I remember correctly, there is no advantage to cutting or trading Howard. We are stuck with his upfront guaranteed money as a dead cap hit regardless. His approximately $1 million base in 2024 and in 2025 just under $2 million is guaranteed of the 15.5 million. We have to eat that no matter what. On the other hand, a team needing a potentially good starting right tackle could offer us something such as a player we need or a higher draft pick in 2025. Even if that were to happen, I do not see Nick pursuing that as his contract is relatively cheap once you get past the dead money. If he does not improve, he can be cut with no further debt at any time. Again it's all about the guaranteed money that we eat regardless.

If we're expecting the Texans to take that next step, trusting a rookie to come in right away to start at CB2 isn't the right way to do it, IMO. Unless he's the CB version of CJ Stroud, he's going to need at least a year of seasoning. That leaves the Texans weak at CB2. The Texans have a number of teams on the schedule that ranked either at the top of the NFL or close to it last year on their schedule this year. The Vikings and Dolphins were 1 and 2 respectfully in passing last year, the Lions were 4th and we know all about KC.

Hunter and Anderson should be able to help. On plays they don't get pressure, we may see a lot of wide-open receivers this year. Hopefully not because Pitre's tackling is not great and the new safety wasn't revered for his tackling skills either.

Like you, I don't know how this is going to pan out. I am by no means implying the Texans defense is going to be terrible. I just have questions and I'm excited to see how it all shakes out.

As far Fisher possibly taking over for Tunsil someday, Tunsil is the most dependable and consistent player since 2019. Other than 2021 with a thumb injury, he's consistently logged at least 95% of the snaps in his career. He's a consistent top tier pass blocker in the NFL. And he consistently provides the Texans with at least one false start per game. I think it's more likely Fisher was brought in as insurance for Howard and Fisher may eventually supplant Howard at RT anyway.

Not the same position but Patterson did very well starting at Center with little NFL experience so perhaps his former co-worker Fisher could do the same at right tackle.

It's possible they just keep screwing up when it comes to Howard's albatross of a contract. Caserio should've never re-signed him to begin with and now it looks like he's compounded his mistake. Although I understand why he re-worked Howard's deal, he needed the money for the Diggs deal.

I'm thinking Fisher will be an upgrade even if Howard's healthy. Howard's been stealing money for yrs.
Perhaps and in 2027 tunsil will be 33 which is still good for a left tackle however, Fisher will be going into his fourth season and still could be quite a bit cheaper even with a higher extension and maybe as good. That could be a conversation for 2026. No matter how good a player is as he progresses into his later years, I tend to look for a replacement. That's what the draft is for.

There was a lot of that going on all over the line by appearances, but we can't really know the assignments without knowing the playcall
There's some where it's quite obvious it's his assignment. At the very least you can heavily infer it's his assignment.

Several were broken down on the QB School as well.

Perhaps and in 2027 tunsil will be 33 which is still good for a left tackle however, Fisher will be going into his fourth season and still could be quite a bit cheaper even with a higher extension and maybe as good. That could be a conversation for 2026. No matter how good a player is as he progresses into his later years, I tend to look for a replacement. That's what the draft is for.
Depends on if his play falls off, if he's playing at his current level at age 33 then you re-sign him. If not contingency plans should've already been made. Fisher could be that plan, but if Fisher is playing well at RT then you draft another LT to train up if you want to let Tunsil walk. I still cant get over some on this MB wanting to let a 4 time pro bowl player walk over money when the team was talentless.

Depends on if his play falls off, if he's playing at his current level at age 33 then you re-sign him. If not contingency plans should've already been made. Fisher could be that plan, but if Fisher is playing well at RT then you draft another LT to train up if you want to let Tunsil walk. I still cant get over some on this MB wanting to let a 4 time pro bowl player walk over money when the team was talentless.
Damn, he's only 29 right now? I could've sworn he was older. Yeah, a LT of Tunsil's quality you keep until their play drops off. That changes my perspective on the Fisher pick. Looks like a Howard contingency now.

Back