Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Peyton Manning what's the Big deal?......

CaptainPatriot

Waterboy
How many games has he played in weather under 70 degrees other than Chicago? Which was a Sunny day! Or a inclement weather game this yr? All his games have been like playing in a living room. If he gets the record need to have an asterik next to it. Oh look he plays here in Houston this week. Another dome stadium! Lets see what he can do on the last game of the season. When he plays in Denver 1/2/05 You know he will have to go play at the PATS or Steelers to get to the Super Bowl !

Maybe we should keep the Stadium open since we have a retractable roof and we are not only a dome stadium.

If you want to talk about inclement weather. The guy who currently has the record ( Dan Marino) didn't necessarily play in blizzards all year. Miami isn't necessarily the coldest place in the NFL.

Dude is going off and you gotta give him credit. I just hope he doesn't break it on us and win the division on our turf again for the second time in a row.

Patriot--Here is a thread with the split in Manning's performance when he has to play outside:

Manning Split

Yes it affects him, but come on, every QB is worse on the road than at home and he would still be one of if not the best. By the way, you think Marino benefit from playing in Miami maybe?

CaptainPatriot said:
How many games has he played in weather under 70 degrees other than Chicago? Which was a Sunny day! Or a inclement weather game this yr? All his games have been like playing in a living room. If he gets the record need to have an asterik next to it.

Does Marino have an asterisks next to his record? He played 8 games in Miami and that is not cold weather. I'm not sure when he played the Jets, Bills, and Patriots that year.

Are you just upset that Peyton is getting so much attention instead of Brady? Hey when it comes down to it, championships rule, but breaking records are fun for the fans too.

Manning does well in most games. I always thought the argument wasn't whether Manning can get things done, its how his defensive supporting cast could hold up. Manning puts points on the board, their defense is what kept other teams in the game. Try to tell me you wouldn't want Manning on our team, go ahead, I tripple dog dare ya.

Peyton Manning, right now, is the top QB in the NFL. Earlier in the year I would have said Brady but right now Peyton is the best. He's playing scary good right now.

WWJD said:
Peyton Manning, right now, is the top QB in the NFL.

patriots fans have a seriously hard time dealing with that. They would have calmed down with the "brady is better" threads, but after the steelers spanked them, theyve gone into damage control.

CaptainPatriot said:
How many games has he played in weather under 70 degrees other than Chicago? Which was a Sunny day! Or a inclement weather game this yr? All his games have been like playing in a living room. If he gets the record need to have an asterik next to it. Oh look he plays here in Houston this week. Another dome stadium! Lets see what he can do on the last game of the season. When he plays in Denver 1/2/05 You know he will have to go play at the PATS or Steelers to get to the Super Bowl !
it's bad enough to have Pats trolls on the Colts boards...now they are chasing the Colts to the weekly opponents boards too?

Somebody's worried...it looks like Pats fans are a little scared of what might happen this year...getting the trolling in early, since they will run and hide after the Pats go down in the playoffs this year!!!

Boy I can't wait til we make it to the playoffs so we can be involved in this type of conversation like yall.

Hey, matter of fact, this is the Texans Bull Pen message board. We need to talk about Texan stuff or you guys can go to your own message board.

I am surprised this hasnt been moved to the other football forum. I do apologize, I thought the pats fan had the sense to put this in the right forum.

Don 't go thinking that Manning is THAT much better than Brady. Brady has very good numbers for not having as much talent or attempts as Manning does. Add to that he has 2 superbowls rings. It's a case of Montana vs Marino all over again. I'd take Montana in that scenario too.

Payton WILL get his 4 TD's this weekend. Doesnt matter if it is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and goal with 1-99 yards to go, Payton will throw it. He wants that record in Houston. And so does Dungy. Dont feel bad, its not like he threw for 48 against us, only.....8 or 9... Lets just try to win the game. But with the way the Texans have trailed off this half of the season, i dont see that happening.

One of the NFL shows did a comparison between Marino's '84 and Manning's '04.

"Apparently" Marino faced much better pass defenses (based on that year's rankings).
While Marino had Clayton and Duper, he didn't have the same level of weapons as Manning.
Etc., etc.,...

Marino was my favorite as a kid growing up. He's the reason I wore #13 in everything I did. So I'm a bit biased.

But you can't take away from what Manning is doing this year. It's reaching Maris/McGuire status where a long standing record is not just getting broken...it's getting shattered.

Huge said:

"Apparently" Marino faced much better pass defenses (based on that year's rankings).

I'm curious, what kind of difference the newly enforced 5 yard rule has in Mannings succsess this year.Or is it just a his best year by case? Scoring is up mostly this year. The times are different, defenses also. You can't compare that Boy Manning to Marino.

Huge said:

While Marino had Clayton and Duper, he didn't have the same level of weapons as Manning.
Etc., etc.,...

Marino was my favorite as a kid growing up. He's the reason I wore #13 in everything I did. So I'm a bit biased.

But you can't take away from what Manning is doing this year. It's reaching Maris/McGuire status where a long standing record is not just getting broken...it's getting shattered.
I would agree with your defense of the record if Manning were to throw, say...49 or 50 this season...but he could very well throw 60 TD's!!!! If the defenses are less talented in '04 than in '84, Manning is taking advantage of that situation! Manning is every bit of the QB that Marino was, in a league with better receivers and lesser db's. If Manning doesn't SHATTER marino's records by the end of his career, I will be surprised. (and yes, I am talking about total yards, as well...and let's add at least 1 SB ring to the mix...maybe 2 now that Marvin has been re-signed...)

txhoosier said:
If the defenses are less talented in '04 than in '84, Manning is taking advantage of that situation!

It isn't that the defenses are less talented it is that the NFL put the new emphasis on the 5 yard rule and has hamstrung the DB's compared to what they used to be allowed to do. But still Manning is doing a phenominal job of taking advantage of the situation.

CaptainPatriot said:

It's not just Manning. It's about Manning, the offensive line, Edge, Harrison, Pollard, Clark, Wayne, Stokely, etc. etc. Manning has tried to say the same thing. It's not about individual accomplishments, it's about winning and keeping on winning.

Same thing with your guy. He's good but he didn't get those two rings on his own. It's about Bruski, Ty Law, Poole, Belicheck, etc. etc. It is a team game after all

Both of them, Pats and Pony's, better watch out for the squeeky Steelers in their almighty run for the SB. Rothlithesburger (sp) has been rookie of the week 8 times this year. PM better enjoy his reign while he can, cause this kid is gonna blow him away, in years to come. JMHO

SheTexan said:
Both of them, Pats and Pony's, better watch out for the squeeky Steelers in their almighty run for the SB. Rothlithesburger (sp) has been rookie of the week 8 times this year. PM better enjoy his reign while he can, cause this kid is gonna blow him away, in years to come. JMHO
If he stays the course and doesn't get injured, he looks to be the biggest QB prize in a long time..
Roethlisberger will match Bradshaw's longest regular-season winning streak, the 11-game run in 1975, if the Steelers (11-1) beat the New York Jets (9-3) tomorrow in Pittsburgh.
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2004/12/11/777257.html
I'm pulling for him!

SheTexan said:

ben dont put up big numbers, he just dont make many real dumb decisions, lets see how ben does against someone like the pats who will stop his run game and force him to beat them. ben is good but he has a very good running game to take the pressure off him, i dont think ben has passed for much over 200 yards in any game this season, his stats are usally something like 10-19 for 172 yards 1 td 1 int, hardly numbers to blow peyton away.

when he actually takes all the pressure on his shoulders and wins a game without a 100 + yard rusher against a good team then we can say he has the tools. i mean kordell stewart was pretty good his first year as a starter to but look at him now. steelers defense is overrated and their offense is sub par, they have only won 3 games against teams with a winning record and squeaked by several below average teams, they were spanked by the ravens and still have to play them again not to mention the jets, giants and bills. steelers did beat a pretty banged up patriot team and the eagles who were both due a bad game and both were home games for the steelers. my point is yes ben is 10-0 but has very below average stats, imo the jury is still out on him, we will find out a lot about him in the next 4 weeks.

p-money said:
i mean a healthy pat team and possibly on the road.
So you're just asking Ben to do the next-to impossible. The Pats haven't lost at home since December of 2002. Peyton's missed his last 2 attempts.

txhoosier said:
I would agree with your defense of the record if Manning were to throw, say...49 or 50 this season...but he could very well throw 60 TD's!!!! If the defenses are less talented in '04 than in '84, Manning is taking advantage of that situation! Manning is every bit of the QB that Marino was, in a league with better receivers and lesser db's. If Manning doesn't SHATTER marino's records by the end of his career, I will be surprised. (and yes, I am talking about total yards, as well...and let's add at least 1 SB ring to the mix...maybe 2 now that Marvin has been re-signed...)

It's not my defense. As I stated, it was pointed out by one of the NFL pre-game shows.

I only stated I liked Marino because he was my childhood favorite. The numbers Manning is putting up don't need to be defended...they speak for themselves.

p-money said:
ben dont put up big numbers, he just dont make many real dumb decisions, lets see how ben does against someone like the pats who will stop his run game and force him to beat them. ben is good but he has a very good running game to take the pressure off him, i dont think ben has passed for much over 200 yards in any game this season, his stats are usally something like 10-19 for 172 yards 1 td 1 int, hardly numbers to blow peyton away.

when he actually takes all the pressure on his shoulders and wins a game without a 100 + yard rusher against a good team then we can say he has the tools. i mean kordell stewart was pretty good his first year as a starter to but look at him now. steelers defense is overrated and their offense is sub par, they have only won 3 games against teams with a winning record and squeaked by several below average teams, they were spanked by the ravens and still have to play them again not to mention the jets, giants and bills. steelers did beat a pretty banged up patriot team and the eagles who were both due a bad game and both were home games for the steelers. my point is yes ben is 10-0 but has very below average stats, imo the jury is still out on him, we will find out a lot about him in the next 4 weeks.

The Steelers handily beat the Pats and the Eagles by a considerable margin. A 14 and 24 point margin of victory is not good enough for you? The Steelers are not a team that lights up the scoreboard every game. That is not thier style of play. Never has, and probably never will be. They are not going to throw it 40 times a game. What they are going to do is run it down your throat smash mouth style football. Every team know what they are going to do but yet they are still going to get over 100 yards on the oposing teams defense game in and game out.

And I don't know how you can say thier D-fense is overatted, they have the best D in the league. What does that make all the other defenses? Chumps?

While Roethisberger might not be lighting up the record books, you can look at his passer rating, I believe he is only behind Manning, McNabb and Culpepper. Not a bad trio to be behind in. I think in the game against the Jags or a very recent game he had a passer rating of 158.0 Only .3 off the highest rating you can possibly get!

txhoosier said:
If Manning doesn't SHATTER marino's records by the end of his career, I will be surprised. (and yes, I am talking about total yards, as well...and let's add at least 1 SB ring to the mix...maybe 2 now that Marvin has been re-signed...)

The Colts were smart to re-sign Harrison IMO. The problem is that in 2004, they will probably have to win in Pittsburgh and New England to make it to the Super Bowl. My preseason pick for the SB was Colts/Eagles, but I am not so sure any more.

TheOgre said:
The Colts were smart to re-sign Harrison IMO. The problem is that in 2004, they will probably have to win in Pittsburgh and New England to make it to the Super Bowl. My preseason pick for the SB was Colts/Eagles, but I am not so sure any more.
I'll let you in on a little secret...

*come closer...shhhhh!!!*

I'm a little worried about both of those teams, too...but I'll never admit it.

Oh, hey!!! What are all you guys doing in here? I thought it was just me and Ogre...

Huge said:
It's not my defense. As I stated, it was pointed out by one of the NFL pre-game shows.

I only stated I liked Marino because he was my childhood favorite. The numbers Manning is putting up don't need to be defended...they speak for themselves.
You will have to excuse my hatred of Marino and the Dolphins.

I was a Bears fan before the Colts came to Indy in 1984. I remained a Bears fan for a few years after that. In 1986, the Bears lone blemish on a near perfect SuperBowl run was placed by none other than the Dolphins...

And for some reason, there is a tremendous # of Dolphins fans in Indy. Anytime Miami is in town, there are no less than 15 - 20,000 fans in attendance, and it just torques me off.

Marino was a great QB. I do respect what he brought to the game. I just wish someone...ANYONE will have an undefeated season and shut Nick B, and Len D the <bleep> up.

Ok...did nobody see Tom Brady complete a pass from his behind last night? I think he is the best QB in football and will only get better. He has already beat the Colts and will do it again in the playoffs (IMO). :cool:

ThirdEyeBC32 said:
The Road to the Superbowl will go through Pitt or NE.

One of those 2 will be in the SB and whoever plays them will lose. For the sake of parity, I hope Pittsburgh takes it all. I say Steelers over the Eagles.

Back