Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Peyton Manning Derby (Signs with Broncos)

While understanding the idea here I just think they are too polar opposite as QBs for that to work. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre started off as much more similar QBs. Tebow is never going to turn into the uber intellect uber short release QB that is Manning no matter how much he watches him. Sure he will learn something one would assume. Frankly Schaub would have a 1000% better chance of learning from watching Manning.
I agree. Tebow can learn all he wants but he can't make those throws. Its like thinking that Dom Davis could have learned to be a power back from watching more Earl Campbell videos.

I agree. Tebow can learn all he wants but he can't make those throws. Its like thinking that Dom Davis could have learned to be a power back from watching more Earl Campbell videos.

I also think that alot of it deals with the Tebow fans out there. You keep Tebow as a backup and you still have people asking for him to play and Elway wanting him gone. This is a tidy way for the Broncos to split ties with a legitimate "better" option.

I don't think Tebow has the chops to "learn" from Manning. Manning has a personality and an attitude that Tebow doesn't have. Whereas Manning is thinking 250 steps ahead of his opponent, Tebow only flourishes when the defense is tired and Tebow can free-style it out there.

He could watch Manning, cut his hair like Manning, and eat the same things like Manning, and he is never going to BE near that caliber. Tebow's best bet is to get back to Florida and make magic with Jax or Miami, except Garrard is now on the Dolphins and I bet they go with him as QB1. That leaves Jax, and frankly he's better than Gabbert which says a lot (or little, whichever you prefer) about what Gabbert is right now. He can't stay in Denver. Elway won't let that happen. And if he is cut, he goes through waivers (doesn't he?). Trade the guy to someone and get a mid-rounder out of it. Be done with him. Move on. It's best for all involved, especially Elway and Manning and the rest of the team.

So much for Manning saying he'll work on-the-cheap to help teams out if they're scared about his neck. $96 million! I wonder if that involves a lot of carefully-worded clauses pertaining to him earning that money based on the neck status...if he cannot perform due to neck, nerve-ending, throwing problems, etc., then Broncos get off the hook????

This is a problem for me because our local CBS station, up until last year, aired Broncos games instead of Texans games. Can u believe that??? It's true. Now, with Manning there in Denver, if the Texans lose a few games early in reg season...my Amarillo CBS affiliate will air Broncos games for sure. And this year I was going to cancel Sunday Ticket too. Dammit. :(

I'm just glad the Manning watch is over...that almost took longer than OJ's Bronco coverage.

Well, the Bronco chase at least seemed long from where I was. I was in a bar off Richmond and 300 Rockets fans were getting ready to take it out on the poor owner of the bar and the bar itself unless they (NBC I think) switched it back to the Finals. Wow, what a mess that could have been.

Anyway, I was impressed today when I read he actually apologized for it taking so long. Brett Favre must have fallen off his chair when he heard that....lol.

So ridiculous that he has to apologize for it "taking so long".

It was 2 weeks. Two weeks for the biggest FA in football history (sorry, Reggie White) to decide on his next home. Oh the horror!

People need to get over themselves.

It was 2 weeks. Two weeks for the biggest FA in football history (sorry, Reggie White) to decide on his next home. Oh the horror!

That's what I thought was so funny. There was no apology necessary, imo. Other players would have milked this thing until July and loved every minute of it with no acknowledgement of dragging it out in any way.

Agreed, but you gotta remember the era we live in: Undiagnosed ADD and a total lack of patience are prevalent these days.

I don't think we are much better off with the Tebow hand wringing replacing the Manning obsession in the media.

I was bored, so .... Fivehead as a Bronco

Peyton-Manningbroncocopy.jpg
:

Man’s obituary says he wanted to die before Broncos acquired Peyton Manning

A Denver Broncos fan died on Monday, before he had to see his beloved team sign one of his least favorite players.

According to his obituary in the Columbia Daily Tribune, 78-year-old Jim Driver "wanted out" before he had to see Peyton Manning don a Broncos jersey. This is the lead paragraph from that obit:

James H. "Jim" Driver, 78, of Eagle, Colo., formerly of Columbia, passed away Monday, March 19, 2012, at South Hampton Place in Columbia after a brief illness. An avid Broncos fan, he abhorred Manning and evidently wanted out before a deal was done.

That's all sorts of fantastic. You know the old adage: If you're gonna go out, go out with some style and/or by taking a shot at the player you hate the most.

:roast:

Jeff Saturday is signing with Packers so there goes the security blanket

That sounds like something you'd say about a te.

I don't believe the absence of Saturday in Manning's game can be understated. As has been reported in the past, Saturday is the only center to have called audibles. He would routinely point out blitzers to the rest of the lineman. That's why you saw almost as much movement from Saturday before snaps as Manning. Besides that, the rest of Manning's Oline typically allowed him quite a bit of time to get rid of the ball and remain upright, not withstanding his quick release. I doubt that we see the return of the ultra-confident Manning, no matter what his health status may be.

I don't believe the absence of Saturday in Manning's game can be understated. As has been reported in the past, Saturday is the only center to have called audibles. He would routinely point out blitzers to the rest of the lineman. That's why you saw almost as much movement from Saturday before snaps as Manning. Besides that, the rest of Manning's Oline typically allowed him quite a bit of time to get rid of the ball and remain upright, not withstanding his quick release. I doubt that we see the return of the ultra-confident Manning, no matter what his health status may be.

Let's see if Saturday gets as much deference from the officials for all his pre-snap movement. Probably so since he will be hiking to another star.

Cak, here's a piece from Colts.com that I found interesting about Saturday's importance:

For the past 13 years, it could be argued that Jeff Saturday has been the classiest player in the National Football League. When one says, "Jeff Saturday," smiling eyes, a friendly grin, a hearty laugh, and an unquestioned work ethic instantly come to mind. The Colts have to make a decision about him soon, and surprisingly, many fans are divided over what course of action to take. So, I asked my Heart and my Mind if they thought that the Colts should bring their hardy center back to the squad for a fourteenth season.

I put the question to my Heart and Mind this way: "What do you think the Indianapolis Colts should do with Jeff Saturday? Re-sign him or release him?"

My Mind began the discussion. "Jeff Saturday will be over 37 years old when the 2012 season even kicks off, and the average age of starting centers in the league is 28.8 years of age. Jeff is over the average by a good many years. It's time for him to hang up the cleats, because in 2012 he'll be a better NFLPA negotiator than he'll be a blocker. I think the Colts realize that. He should not be re-signed."

My Heart was shocked. "Mind, I can't believe I actually heard you say that. Do you realize that in the years 2000-2010 Jeff Saturday gave up only 7.5 sacks? That's less than a sack a season! And on top of that, two of those came in 2008 when he was injured! Also, in 576 quarterback drop-backs this year, Jeff only gave up 11 pressures. Pressures, not sacks. That's one pressure every 52 drop-backs, or the equivalent of less than one a game. He is an integral part of this team, and deserves a contract if he wants one."

"Yes, Heart," my Mind replied, "But the Colts running game has struggled under Saturday, averaging 3.3 yards a rush during that same 2000-2010 span. And the Colts drafted 3 offensive line players in the last two years and have shaken up the whole deal in the front five. There's not much room for aging veterans on the squad, either. The signs are there, Heart."

"As far as the running game goes, Mind," my Heart retorted, "The Colts dropped one whole yard per run in 2008 when Saturday was out. And during the 2009 season, there were only 4 stuffs on 81 carries when they ran up the gut behind Saturday, or an average of good runs 95% of the time they ran behind him. Also, when the Colts runners toted the pigskin behind Jeff Saturday, they averaged 4.6 yards a carry and scored nine touchdowns. That's pretty good, Mind. And don't forget about the mental aspect Jeff Saturday brings. He must know the plays as well as Peyton, understand Peyton's audibles, and call his own audibles to the offensive line so they can adjust to the play call. No other center in the league has that mental pressure play by play."
link

Cak, here's a piece from Colts.com that I found interesting about Saturday's importance:

link

Interesting writing angle. High marks for creativity, high marks for creepiness. :hide:

2000-2010 Jeff Saturday gave up only 7.5 sacks? That's less than a sack a season! And on top of that, two of those came in 2008 when he was injured! Also, in 576 quarterback drop-backs this year, Jeff only gave up 11 pressures.

Jeff was a one-man line?

Me thinks everyday is Saturday for this guy.

Back