Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

People on record as wanting Mario over Reggie/VY?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I know Bill Parcells and Tony Dungy have gone on record saying that they would've taken Mario over Vince and Reggie.

I remember there was a lot made of Bellichik going out of his way to shake Mario's hand after the Pats beat the Texans last year. Has he gone on record saying who he would pick?

Are there any coaches that have gone on record one way or another as to who they'd pick?

PS: Parcells and Dungy aren't bad references... :whip:

In this age of sound bites and political correctness I doubt too many would say one way or another, but I'm sure many have a higher opinion of Mario...especiall after this season.

7 had Mario #1 on the draft board.

Never seen the 7 identities released though...

Name 7 coaches who are defensive minded or who think their offense is good enough.

Bill Parcels
Tony Dungy

This is my guess.

John Gruden
Bull Belichik
Marvin Lewis
AJ Smith (GM)

That is all I can think of.

Name 7 coaches who are defensive minded or who think their offense is good enough.

Bill Parcels
Tony Dungy

This is my guess.

John Gruden
Bull Belichik
Marvin Lewis
AJ Smith (GM)

That is all I can think of.

Jeff Fisher?

I am pretty sure Bellichik made mention of it because there was a lot of attention of him rushing to shake Mario's hand after the game. But I cant find an article on the Internet.

I wanted a trade down and D'brickashaw...but no one called.

The fact that no one called should be pretty good evidence that Bush wasn't miles ahead of every other player on coaches/GM's draft boards. If he was really a can't miss, once-in-a-lifetime player - if he was really head and shoulders beyond Mario and Vince, there would have been some phone calls.

Also, I really wonder how many teams without a dominant pass-rusher would have passed on Mario if they had been sitting at #1.

I don't think these execs where nearly as influenced by ESPN hype as fans were.

Broke Back Reggie did not want to be a Texan, Vince wanted to be a Texan But did not fit the scheme. Kubes was one of the 7 but gives all the credit to Casserly. Mario Rules as he should after the Toung lashing he got from this board and the world.

michael smith is about the only one i can recall that stayed firm on mario

of course i don't watch all the shows, so I more than likely have missed a few

The fact that no one called should be pretty good evidence that Bush wasn't miles ahead of every other player on coaches/GM's draft boards. If he was really a can't miss, once-in-a-lifetime player - if he was really head and shoulders beyond Mario and Vince, there would have been some phone calls.

Also, I really wonder how many teams without a dominant pass-rusher would have passed on Mario if they had been sitting at #1.

I don't think these execs where nearly as influenced by ESPN hype as fans were.

Kind of nice to see people finally coming around to this ...

That and the important acknowledgement that we really did draft Mario because our FO wanted him more ... not because of "signability" or because Reggie was a prick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ichael&id=2419503&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

here is smith's article in 2006

Critics point to the fact that 13½ of Williams' 14½ sacks last season came in the Wolfpack's final seven games and wonder about his consistency. Williams offered an interesting explanation for that. It took him four games to figure out how to better deal with cut blocks. Instead of wasting time pushing down with both hands on blockers' shoulder pads and stepping around the block the way linemen are taught, Williams learned how to handle blockers with one hand or just hurdle them. He had three sacks in NC State's fifth game, against Wake Forest.

A longtime defensive line coach says that on film, Williams appears to be playing a bit "cautious." Williams concurred with the observation. At NC State, the ends' first responsibility was outside containment (bootlegs, reverses) and at one point they weren't even allowed to take an inside rush. That discipline might give the impression that Williams was taking plays off. "I don't feel like my play changed from the beginning of the season to the end of the season," he said. "Maybe my numbers were different, but I ran the same way."

I hope this translates equally to what this NFL season is(he is coming around late in the season), learning how to shed blocks and stop being cautious

Michael Smith should get a promotion because in his words to the Around the Horn talking heads the day after the draft with his green face shining,"I've forgotten more about football than yall will ever know!!!"

I wanted a trade down and D'brickashaw...but no one called.
It is my theory that no called because Uncle Bob wanted to sign someone before the pick was made.IMO the SOP for the NFL is to wait until you are on the clock before things become real.Uncle Bob is playing a different game than the rest of the league, I dunno if that is good or bad!
:fans:

It is my theory that no called because Uncle Bob wanted to sign someone before the pick was made.IMO the SOP for the NFL is to wait until you are on the clock before things become real.Uncle Bob is playing a different game than the rest of the league, I dunno if that is good or bad!

According to the Sporting News article that was posted on this board a few times, that was not the case. McNair might've preferred to have everything wrapped up before hand, but was more concerned with the team getting the player the coaches wanted even if they weren't signed before the draft.

According to the Sporting News article that was posted on this board a few times, that was not the case. McNair might've preferred to have everything wrapped up before hand, but was more concerned with the team getting the player the coaches wanted even if they weren't signed before the draft.

I'd heard this about McNair more than once. I'm surprised, and a little impressed, that he was willing to give a little on this point.

Pretty sure Jeff Fisher wanted Matt Leinart.

from the michael smith article:

"I've seen solid players, impact players," Titans coach Jeff Fisher told The (Nashville) Tennessean, "but nobody that has a potential to impact a defense like [Williams]."

wow at the article- MS must look back at it and say to himself 'i own'.. i knew he wanted us to take mario but he got nearly everything right

Another thing: Williams has more -- yes -- upside than Bush. He's 21 years old, still raw. Dare I say it: We may already have seen the best of Bush. I can't help but wonder if it's possible for him to look any better or even as good, and the same goes for Matt Leinart, without the line and the supporting cast he played with at USC.

The Texans are negotiating with the agents for both Bush and Williams, but I don't believe, as the skeptics do, that they're trying to use Williams to drive down Bush's price. I believe that, deep down, Kubiak and general manager Charley Casserly know what has to be done.

Everyone talks about Bush's versatility but Williams not only can play but be effective all along the defensive line: at 4-3 base (left) end, 4-3 open-side (right, most often opposite the strong side) end, "three" technique (shading the guard's outside shoulder) tackle, or 3-4 end.

Calls for the #1 pick don't start when the draft clock starts. Teams had every indication that the Texans were drafting Reggie, and if they wanted him, they would have called beforehand. If anything else, the Texans' reputation for signing #1 picks early would have prompted teams to hit the panic button even earlier than Saturday morning. No one wanted Reggie Bush that bad, period.

from the michael smith article:

Quote:
"I've seen solid players, impact players," Titans coach Jeff Fisher told The (Nashville) Tennessean, "but nobody that has a potential to impact a defense like [Williams]."

Fisher may have said this about Mario, but it's fairly well documented that Fisher and Chow wanted Matt Leinart but were overruled by Bud Adams. Adams figured---and rightly so---that a great way to annoy Houston would be to rub the hometown boy in their face twice a year.

Fisher may have said this about Mario, but it's fairly well documented that Fisher and Chow wanted Matt Leinart but were overruled by Bud Adams. Adams figured---and rightly so---that a great way to annoy Houston would be to rub the hometown boy in their face twice a year.

I dunno, but maybe you aren't giving Adams enough credit ? I'm sure he wanted to draft Houstons favorite son for sentimental reasons, but he
may instinctively have thought it was also a good football decision ?
Adams got another UT legend when he traded with TB to get the first
pick in the 1978 Draft, and that also turned out to be a shrewd move.

I dunno, but maybe you aren't giving Adams enough credit ? I'm sure he wanted to draft Houstons favorite son for sentimental reasons, but he
may instinctively have thought it was also a good football decision ?
Adams got another UT legend when he traded with TB to get the first
pick in the 1978 Draft, and that also turned out to be a shrewd move.

I never said taking VY was a poor move. As for giving Adams credit--you're right, I don't give him much. And I sure as hell don't give him credit for taking Earl. That was Bum Phillips' move all they way.

Back