Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pats rated as most "Disliked" NFL Franchise

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Success may make fans, but it may also make enemies. When asked which sports team Americans dislike the most from a list of six, the Yankees—with 27 World Series championships—come in first (16 percent), beating out current NBA champions the Miami Heat (14 percent), and NFL heavyweights the New England Patriots (13 percent). Bottoming out the list are the Boston Red Sox (9 percent), the Alabama Crimson Tide (8 percent), and the Duke Blue Devils (6 percent). Many Americans don’t have a strong dislike for any of these teams, however: 34 percent couldn’t pick a team they disliked most from this list.
http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2014/01/surprising-sports-statistics
The six most disliked teams in the Vanity Fair Poll group were the Yankees, Heat, Pats, Red Sox, 'Bama (I presume football), & Duke Blue Devils (basketball).

I think it's jealousy since they are always winning, which is why Texans are probably the most liked team :kitten:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to Dis:zipit:gree. I don't dislike the Patriots, but LOATHE how Belecheat got a slap on the wrist for something that would have gotten OTHER coaches banned or at least suspended. To me the MOST hated team in Football shall always reside in north Texas.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to Dis:zipit:gree. I don't dislike the Patriots, but LOATHE how Belecheat got a slap on the wrist for something that would have gotten OTHER coaches banned or at least suspended. To me the MOST hated team in Football shall always reside in north Texas.
I dunno about that ? Use to be the cowboys & their fans bragged about being good which annoyed people, but that was 20 years ago. Now all they can do is brag and I'm thinkin people don't take them that seriously anymore.

I dunno about that ? Use to be the cowboys & their fans bragged about being good which annoyed people, but that was 20 years ago. Now all they can do is brag and I'm thinkin people don't take them that seriously anymore.

But...they won't shut up...:thinking:

True, especially on Facebook.

As for the Pats, success has something to do with it (though it's not like they have been winning a lot of Super Bowls lately), I think it's more the attitude that franchise puts off, especially between Belicheat, Brady and their snotty fans.

I dislike the patsies, but not enough to really get worked up over it. Not like my hatred for the Cowboys, that's for sure. Besides, the Patsies will lose to Seattle in the super bowl this time, and that'll make it pretty sweet to watch pretty boy Brady cry. LOL

As for the Pats, success has something to do with it (though it's not like they have been winning a lot of Super Bowls lately), I think it's more the attitude that franchise puts off, especially between Belicheat, Brady and their snotty fans.

Absolutely. An old friend of mine, Cowboy fan-lifelong Houstonian, is the epitomy of the Houstonian Cowboy. I have friends that follow many teams and no one comes close to this guy when it comes to posting crap about the Texans. Actually, the other guys don't even post crap about the Texans when they're down. :thinking: If the Texans lose, 7,8,9 pics per Sunday night with more during the week. Obviously, this year he was in rare form...lol.

All I've said to him was his obvious obsession with the Texans was very telling.

“If you're not cheating, you're not trying.”
~ Mark Grace

How come I never hear any whining about all the other ways that teams and players cheat? :um:

Cheating in the NFL Goes Beyond the Camera

Let’s start with playbooks. You don’t think those find their way into the hands of opposing players? I saw plenty of offensive playbooks during game weeks in my career. Printed, stapled and handed out to the defense. Magically they appeared in our meeting rooms, complete with route schemes, exotic plays and top concepts.

Sure, you can get some of that from the film, but it still an advantage to see the depth of the routes, blocking schemes, etc. that are coached by your opponent. The ideal study guide.

Game plans—left behind in the hotel. Everyone has a “guy” that will scour over the visiting teams hotel room before the cleaning service has a chance to get in. Special teams game plans, offensive audibles, blitz packages and so on. You would be surprised at how many players decided to throw out (or accidently leave behind) valuable information in their hotel rooms. And, that information always finds it way over to the locker room on Sunday morning. This allows coaches to make some last minute adjustments and alter their own game plans. Almost like seeing a copy of the test before you take it.

Shaun Phillips says he has “seen a lot of cheating” in NFL

Chargers coach Norv Turner isn’t the only member of the organization who addressed on Monday the report that the team is being investigated for using an illegal adhesive substance during last Monday’s loss to the Broncos. Linebacker Shaun Phillips also met with the media, and he was asked for his thoughts regarding the team being called “cheaters.”

Hey look, our very own player made the list!

Can't Beat 'Em, Cheat 'Em: NFL's Top Five Cheating Players Since 2000

4. Brian Cushing

This could become a non-issue if Cushing goes on to have a successful career without the juice, but until that happens, he will be apart of this list.

The reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year has been suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Miller, collector tried to cheat test

Suspended Denver Broncos Pro Bowl linebacker Von Miller unsuccessfully attempted to corrupt the NFL's drug-testing program with the help of a urine collector before each was caught in a matter that will affect how the NFL's collection testing procedures are done, league sources said.

This helps explain why Miller's four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy suddenly and mysteriously was increased to six games and easily could have been up to a year, the sources said.

Bucs Cheat Redskins: How Headset Cheating Is Hurting The NFL

This has been accepted as standard practice in the NFL. You're on the road and the game is close? You're going to have problems with your headset. But this practice hurts the NFL, and it's shocking that this has never been addressed before. The media and coaches still use euphemisms like 'malfunctions' or 'problems' when talking about this issue, even though technology has progressed to a point where this really shouldn't be an issue. And certainly not an issue that is somehow only restricted to the visiting side in the final minutes of close games.

These stories are on the FIRST PAGE of a simple Google search.

So yeah, I think the Patriots are 'hated' because of their success, because certainly folks would hate many more teams if it was only about being noble-minded against cheating. :rolleyes:

Top three are Yankees, Heat, and Patriots. People hate the Yankees because they just do their best to buy championships, which is just one more way of trying to unlevel the playing field. People hate the Heat because of the blatant collusion of their big three players. And people hate the Pats because they cheated with the video stuff.

Not that hard to figure out. People justify cheating and deviousness when it's their team doing it, and they hate it when anyone else does it.

So yeah, I think the Patriots are 'hated' because of their success, because certainly folks would hate many more teams if it was only about being noble-minded against cheating. :rolleyes:

Yeah, people hate cheating anytime it isn't their guy. But they ignore the failures at cheating, choosing instead to point and laugh, if they pay any attention at all. When someone cheats and wins, it chafes people's inherent sense of justice. Of course, those same people are hypocrites when it's their guy, so whatever.

But the point is, it's not solely the success.

“If you're not cheating, you're not trying.”
~ Mark Grace

How come I never hear any whining about all the other ways that teams and players cheat? :um:

These stories are on the FIRST PAGE of a simple Google search.

It's not an either or thing. Any team with the Patriots success would receive some hatred. Given the timing and the speculated scope of the Patriots' cheating it is unlike anything else you listed however. They were just coming off 3 SB wins with the same staff and this was not some rogue player here and there nor an individual benefit kind of cheat. It wasn't turning a blind eye, it was a creation of the power structure. Plus the Patriots didn't win their 3 SBs in 4 years by 62 points like the Cowboys. They won by 9.

Mostly because they are cheaters.

No...not for me...Santos has it right..I'm jealous as **** b/c they've been winning for a decade plus...In particular of Tom Brady...Talk about hitting the lotto in the "life" sweepstakes...

No...not for me...Santos has it right..I'm jealous as **** b/c they've been winning for a decade plus...In particular of Tom Brady...Talk about hitting the lotto in the "life" sweepstakes...

Which makes me hate Colts more than the Patriots. I was assuming they would suck at least 3-4 years before they would at least find a decent quarterback. But no, they tank at the right time to get maybe another great quarterback after they just released their last one. :toropalm:

Well, there's jealousy and hate. The two are intermingled when it comes to sports. I "hate" (am jealous) of teams that consistently do well. I "hate" the Steelers in this way, and always have. But there's nothing about the Steelers organization that actually makes me hate them. I'm just jealous.

The three aforementioned teams were unethical at best and more aptly labeled cheaters. So I hate that behavior, and therefore the team, especially because they had success doing it. The Steelers have my respect, even if I am jealous.

Steinbrenner, LeBron, Belicheat...

How bad is Jerruh Jones? He's such a bad GM that his name is not in the Top 3 anymore. Losing makes him likeable, errr, laughable, errr, pitiful.

It's not an either or thing. Any team with the Patriots success would receive some hatred. Given the timing and the speculated scope of the Patriots' cheating it is unlike anything else you listed however. They were just coming off 3 SB wins with the same staff and this was not some rogue player here and there nor an individual benefit kind of cheat. It wasn't turning a blind eye, it was a creation of the power structure. Plus the Patriots didn't win their 3 SBs in 4 years by 62 points like the Cowboys. They won by 9.

I get all that, but I'm not naive enough to believe that the Patriots are the only team doing this kind of stuff. They just got caught, or rather ratted out. Belichick learned this stuff from the master, Bill Parcells. Parcells even did stuff like using stadium staff to open stadium doors in endzones to cause a wind draft that would effect field goals.

And I still have doubts about how effective filming was with regards to actually influencing the game. Every team in the league has personnel in the stands of opponents' games to pick up audio and hand signals. They take this information back to HQ and marry it up with game film. The Pats went a step beyond and used film, but it's the same tactic used by many teams over decades. I'm not condoning it, but let's not act like 31 other NFL teams are somehow above getting their hands dirty. It's competitive advantages.

Hell, Mike Ditka said this kind of stuff goes back to George Halas, who routinely had audio bugs in opponent's locker rooms. How is this any more / less that what the Pats did? If that's not a "creation of the power structure", I'm not sure what is, and George Halas is celebrated by the NFL and in the Hall of Fame.

And if turning off opponents head sets is also not a so-called "creation of the power structure", I guess we'll just have to disagree. I'm not seeing shades of gray where light gray is okay, but dark gray is bad.

Then there is this:

Former Jets head coach Eric Mangini stated that "I think when you look at the history of success that [the Patriots] had after that incident, it’s pretty obvious that it didn’t play any type of significant role in the victories [the Patriots] had or the success that [the Patriots] had".

And he's the dude that ratted out the Patriots! :rake:

And if turning off opponents head sets is also not a so-called "creation of the power structure", I guess we'll just have to disagree. I'm not seeing shades of gray where light gray is okay, but dark gray is bad.

Then there is this:

And he's the dude that ratted out the Patriots! :rake:

No, I agree the headset thing is systemic and by the team. It boggles me the NFL can't/doesn't stop that crap.

Mangini might want to look up how many SB wins the Pats have since then. No doubt they have been successful overall but not for the ultimate goal which somehow they won 3 times before Brady became the juggernaut he is today.

I'd rather see the results of the poll on a per-league basis. NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and NHL. It would also be funny to see an option of "Don't know any teams in that league" and see if the MLS can outdo the NHL in that category.

It's all East Coast. I suspect that the population in the Northeast corridor played a big role

No, I agree the headset thing is systemic and by the team. It boggles me the NFL can't/doesn't stop that crap.

Mangini might want to look up how many SB wins the Pats have since then. No doubt they have been successful overall but not for the ultimate goal which somehow they won 3 times before Brady became the juggernaut he is today.

From the same place I got the Mangini quote:

"As of the conclusion of the 2011 NFL season, the Patriots had the best record in the NFL since Spygate, compiling a 48-16 record from 2008-11."

Source

(Expand that for 2008-2013 and the regular season record is 72-24)

I don't think the Patriots needed to do it. I think they did it because they thought they could get away with it. And I remember a pretty lively debate at the time that many teams are engaged in this sort of 'espionage' activity, but just one got caught red-handed.

And I still don't see the huge difference in having a group of 'scouts' at an opponent's practice or walk-through taking notes and keeping track of things other than tape versus memory application.

Heck, I think it was either Ditka or Parcells that said teams that do not change their audibles and signals are pretty stupid. I'm not trying to condone the Patriots, but I think a bigger deal was made because it was the Patriots, as opposed to someone like the Browns getting caught. Obviously, the success magnifies everything.

But, I can tell you straight up as a fan, if the Texans win three Lombardi trophies and then get 'tarnished' by something like this after they won, I'll take that situation every day of the week. Quite frankly, I'm tired of 47 years of crap results in Houston, Texas. :shades:

I used to hate the Patriots but now I Respect them got to hae no choice

IMO there the KINGS of the AFC and intill someone knocks them off I guess we gotta live with it

Everyone hates a winner. 15 years of 20 they've been to the dance.

When Brady and Belichick call it quits, man are they gonna see how the other half lives. Those two might as well induct each other into the HOF.

Belichick is a cheater. Brady is an overrated system QB. (A very good QB, but the system has put him in the "greatest ever" debate, IMO.) And the success of its sports teams in the last dozen years have made Boston fans even more annoying than New York fans.

I've really come to respect boston sports teams since living up here. I'm a football fan first and foremost and the patriots are just an insanely well run organization. This year has been incredible to watch given the injuries and lack of playmakers they've had to work with.

Anyone who thinks Brady is an overrated system QB needs to watch more football

I'll always be a texans fan but I'm not going to pretend I don't enjoy watcing the patriots

Belichick is a cheater. Brady is an overrated system QB. (A very good QB, but the system has put him in the "greatest ever" debate, IMO.) And the success of its sports teams in the last dozen years have made Boston fans even more annoying than New York fans.

Are you serious? Unless by "system" you mean Brady finding the weakest link in the defense and exposing it until you adapt, then after that finding the next weakest link, and so on.

He's the reason whatever system they have works, not the other way around.

And I hate NE, but you have to respect what they've been doing for over a decade now.

I didn't realize until last night, although I guess it is obvious, that Brady and Belichick have never won a playoff game without each other. I doubt any other coach has ever had the luxury of just 1 QB in that fashion - he's only 1 game back of tying Landry for most playoff wins.

I wonder if Belichick hangs it up when Brady does. Brady is under contract for 4 more years which would put him at 40 years old and would put Belichick at 65.

This not a valid point at all. They have been to two SB's that were both lost because the other team had the ball last. Both games were nail biters as well. They have been to multiple AFC championship games I including the last 3 as of today. They dominated the NFL in the regular season as well. 10-6 is the worst record they have had since their last SB winning season. They have also created all types of records on offense as well.

To suggest that they haven't won anything when they have achieved a ton of accolades over the years is being extremely obtuse.

You clearly have no knowledge of the history on the Patriots s organization to suggest something so silly. The patriots have had 3 different types of offensive systems under three different OC's and 4 different changes in the coaching of the offense since Brady has been there. If he is a system QB then everyone in the league is much more of a system QB because no other highly successful QB this league has had that many changes in their offense over the years especially to their skill players at receiver that have come and gone. Maybe you weren't aware of that. I'm sure that is the case, but calling a QB a system QB when he has had to adapt to several different systems and interchangeable players is just false and has no substance to the idea. Brady has had consistently made ckiciken salad out if chicken **** more than any other elite QB if this era by far.

Arrogance is the #1 predictor of dislike.

I've really come to respect boston sports teams since living up here. I'm a football fan first and foremost and the patriots are just an insanely well run organization. This year has been incredible to watch given the injuries and lack of playmakers they've had to work with.

Anyone who thinks Brady is an overrated system QB needs to watch more football

I'll always be a texans fan but I'm not going to pretend I don't enjoy watcing the patriots

Your mind has been captured by the brainwashing techniques of the Satanic Belicheats.

The patriots have had 3 different types of offensive systems under three different OC's and 4 different changes in the coaching of the offense since Brady has been there.

Side question:

What three offensive systems are you talking about?

I have consistently seen it described as Erhardt-Perkins throughout.

Side question:

Not necessarily different offenses, just different in how they've gone about getting their offense rolling over the years..... At least thats what i think he means. During Their championship runs they were mainly run heavy with smith and dillon...then when they got welker and moss they became more of a wide open offense...then they got Gronk and Hernandez and ushered in the 2 TE look....

Side question:

That may have been their base system, but it has changed and been adjusted big time over the years. Hell they've had 3 different OC's that run it slightly different and they've changed their game plan year after year depending on what kind of weapons they have. Mcdaniels was not the same exact guy that Weiss was and neither was O'Brien when he took over for McDaniels. Then, McDaniels came back in after O'Brien was gone. That is 4 different changes for a QB which is something that people generally use to excuse poor QB play for other QB's.

The Patriots started out with a ton of average weapons and one really good clutch receiver in Brown that was great on 3rd down. They ran the ball well and picked teams apart. Then they got some weapons and became an all world offense that threw up and down the field all day and tore up the middle with Welker. Then they lost the deep threat in Moss once he went nuts, and started using a two TE base and made records with TE's and utilized Welker to be this elite slot receiver. Then they came in this season with literally no weapons and have had to use a guy like Edelman who was like their 4th or 5th string WR over the last 4 years or so. Brady has had to deal with more changes from the coaching staff and the personal more than any other top flight QB of this era and stayed successful while adjusting their offense time and time again to make it highly successful. The only constant has been Brady. The people that call Brady a "system guy" really don't understand their offense or their franchise, because most of the time people that say that attribute the success of their offense to Bellicheck who is not an offensive guy at all. He is a defensive specialist that was the DC behind Parcells for many years.

I said nothing close to "they haven't won anything" and you refuted absolutely nothing I said.

You insinuated that they hadn't won any SB's since that happened as if they "needed" that to be highly successful. Their history after that happened has suggested otherwise. Hell, going to two SB's where one season they were being called the best team of all time kind of makes that notion really silly. People that say things like this over the years are still watching the Patriots in the AFC championship game almost every year and will say it no matter what happens, because they simply don't like a team that is winning tons of games every year.

lol!! Yeah, and Joe Montana was only a system QB for the WCO. :smiliepalm:

Everyone knows that "a system" just *magically* runs itself. You can plug ANYONE into it and a system just PRODUCES regardless of players or coaches.

I wonder if some folks even watch the NFL, or if hatred causes mental blinders that prevent objective thoughts.

50276_324817437983_7079908_n.jpg

Back