Pats rated as most "Disliked" NFL Franchise

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by IDEXAN, Jan 8, 2014.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2014/01/surprising-sports-statistics
    The six most disliked teams in the Vanity Fair Poll group were the Yankees, Heat, Pats, Red Sox, 'Bama (I presume football), & Duke Blue Devils (basketball).

2. santo

santo Hall of Fame

I think it's jealousy since they are always winning, which is why Texans are probably the most liked team :kitten:

3. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I'm afraid I'm going to have to Dis:zipit:gree. I don't dislike the Patriots, but LOATHE how Belecheat got a slap on the wrist for something that would have gotten OTHER coaches banned or at least suspended. To me the MOST hated team in Football shall always reside in north Texas.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

Mostly because they are cheaters.

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I dunno about that ? Use to be the cowboys & their fans bragged about being good which annoyed people, but that was 20 years ago. Now all they can do is brag and I'm thinkin people don't take them that seriously anymore.

6. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

But...they won't shut up...:thinking:

7. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

True, especially on Facebook.

As for the Pats, success has something to do with it (though it's not like they have been winning a lot of Super Bowls lately), I think it's more the attitude that franchise puts off, especially between Belicheat, Brady and their snotty fans.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I dislike the patsies, but not enough to really get worked up over it. Not like my hatred for the Cowboys, that's for sure. Besides, the Patsies will lose to Seattle in the super bowl this time, and that'll make it pretty sweet to watch pretty boy Brady cry. LOL

9. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Absolutely. An old friend of mine, Cowboy fan-lifelong Houstonian, is the epitomy of the Houstonian Cowboy. I have friends that follow many teams and no one comes close to this guy when it comes to posting crap about the Texans. Actually, the other guys don't even post crap about the Texans when they're down. :thinking: If the Texans lose, 7,8,9 pics per Sunday night with more during the week. Obviously, this year he was in rare form...lol.

All I've said to him was his obvious obsession with the Texans was very telling.

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

“If you're not cheating, you're not trying.”
    ~ Mark Grace

How come I never hear any whining about all the other ways that teams and players cheat? :um:

Hey look, our very own player made the list!

These stories are on the FIRST PAGE of a simple Google search.

So yeah, I think the Patriots are 'hated' because of their success, because certainly folks would hate many more teams if it was only about being noble-minded against cheating. :rolleyes:

Showtime100 likes this.
  11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Top three are Yankees, Heat, and Patriots. People hate the Yankees because they just do their best to buy championships, which is just one more way of trying to unlevel the playing field. People hate the Heat because of the blatant collusion of their big three players. And people hate the Pats because they cheated with the video stuff.

Not that hard to figure out. People justify cheating and deviousness when it's their team doing it, and they hate it when anyone else does it.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yeah, people hate cheating anytime it isn't their guy. But they ignore the failures at cheating, choosing instead to point and laugh, if they pay any attention at all. When someone cheats and wins, it chafes people's inherent sense of justice. Of course, those same people are hypocrites when it's their guy, so whatever.

But the point is, it's not solely the success.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It's not an either or thing. Any team with the Patriots success would receive some hatred. Given the timing and the speculated scope of the Patriots' cheating it is unlike anything else you listed however. They were just coming off 3 SB wins with the same staff and this was not some rogue player here and there nor an individual benefit kind of cheat. It wasn't turning a blind eye, it was a creation of the power structure. Plus the Patriots didn't win their 3 SBs in 4 years by 62 points like the Cowboys. They won by 9.

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

No...not for me...Santos has it right..I'm jealous as **** b/c they've been winning for a decade plus...In particular of Tom Brady...Talk about hitting the lotto in the "life" sweepstakes...

15. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Which makes me hate Colts more than the Patriots. I was assuming they would suck at least 3-4 years before they would at least find a decent quarterback. But no, they tank at the right time to get maybe another great quarterback after they just released their last one. :toropalm:

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, there's jealousy and hate. The two are intermingled when it comes to sports. I "hate" (am jealous) of teams that consistently do well. I "hate" the Steelers in this way, and always have. But there's nothing about the Steelers organization that actually makes me hate them. I'm just jealous.

The three aforementioned teams were unethical at best and more aptly labeled cheaters. So I hate that behavior, and therefore the team, especially because they had success doing it. The Steelers have my respect, even if I am jealous.

17. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Steinbrenner, LeBron, Belicheat...

How bad is Jerruh Jones? He's such a bad GM that his name is not in the Top 3 anymore. Losing makes him likeable, errr, laughable, errr, pitiful.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I get all that, but I'm not naive enough to believe that the Patriots are the only team doing this kind of stuff. They just got caught, or rather ratted out. Belichick learned this stuff from the master, Bill Parcells. Parcells even did stuff like using stadium staff to open stadium doors in endzones to cause a wind draft that would effect field goals.

And I still have doubts about how effective filming was with regards to actually influencing the game. Every team in the league has personnel in the stands of opponents' games to pick up audio and hand signals. They take this information back to HQ and marry it up with game film. The Pats went a step beyond and used film, but it's the same tactic used by many teams over decades. I'm not condoning it, but let's not act like 31 other NFL teams are somehow above getting their hands dirty. It's competitive advantages.

Hell, Mike Ditka said this kind of stuff goes back to George Halas, who routinely had audio bugs in opponent's locker rooms. How is this any more / less that what the Pats did? If that's not a "creation of the power structure", I'm not sure what is, and George Halas is celebrated by the NFL and in the Hall of Fame.

And if turning off opponents head sets is also not a so-called "creation of the power structure", I guess we'll just have to disagree. I'm not seeing shades of gray where light gray is okay, but dark gray is bad.

Then there is this:

And he's the dude that ratted out the Patriots! :rake:

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

No, I agree the headset thing is systemic and by the team. It boggles me the NFL can't/doesn't stop that crap.

Mangini might want to look up how many SB wins the Pats have since then. No doubt they have been successful overall but not for the ultimate goal which somehow they won 3 times before Brady became the juggernaut he is today.

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

I'd rather see the results of the poll on a per-league basis. NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and NHL. It would also be funny to see an option of "Don't know any teams in that league" and see if the MLS can outdo the NHL in that category.