Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Parcells says 'things are not going well'

texan279

Hall of Fame
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5824584

"Things are not going well," Parcells said Friday. "I'm worried about that, and a little frustrated, with things in a couple of places where we should be better than what they are. But it's the first week of the season so I have to keep that in perspective as well."

Parcells has said for several days that the defense is far ahead of the offense, starting with the line. When the blocking falters, it's more difficult for the running backs to find holes and for quarterbacks to complete passes.

"That's generally where you are at this point in camp. The defense is always ahead of the offense," quarterback Drew Bledsoe said. "Obviously we've got to take steps forward, but it's not something that I'm pressing the panic button on now."

A few days ago, Parcells thought some of his position coaches were spending too much time explaining things while they were on the field. He prefers they do that in meetings and use practices to see whether they can do it. So he added more 11-on-11 drills, when coaches can't be a security blanket.

Now he's considering adding more two-a-days.

"I'm not sure," he said. "But I know I got to make progress here."

The team has had two-a-days every other day, with Friday marking their fourth. Only five more are scheduled the remaining two-plus weeks of camp.

Parcells expects to have a better idea of where his team is after a 90-play scrimmage Saturday.

"This is really the toughest time of the season in pro football," Parcells said. "The players are tired, they don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, they don't have a game, it's just not that much fun for them. So I have to take that into consideration.

There may be more problems as relate to precamp attitudinal and physical preparation than what Parcells is relaying to the media. Tired????? The poor girls.....they're not having fun...and all this under the consistently unbearable conditions of 70 degree high temperatures with 70% humidity (yesterday at Oxnard, Calif).
:dontknowa

In contrast, most of the Texans players interviewed have revealed that they feel that the work is tough.............but they UPBEAT and ARE Having FUN in this new regime.

That's just Parcells being Parcells, I don't take much into account with him.. He says things to get his guys going. Being a Giants fan when he took them to two SB's, this is his way of stirring the pot. IMO, he likes to make things sound worse off than they really are..

Again, screw the Boys, but Parcells is just being himself....7 days til the hitting begins !!

hobie said:
That's just Parcells being Parcells, I don't take much into account with him.. He says things to get his guys going. Being a Giants fan when he took them to two SB's, this is his way of stirring the pot. IMO, he likes to make things sound worse off than they really are..

Again, screw the Boys, but Parcells is just being himself....7 days til the hitting begins !!

exactly, I had to live in Dallas for a little while and heard all of Parcells press conferences over the last two seasons. The Cowboys could be knocking everybodies shoes off right now and he's going to tell them they suck, its just what he does.

Carr Bomb said:
exactly, I had to live in Dallas for a little while and heard all of Parcells press conferences over the last two seasons. The Cowboys could be knocking everybodies shoes off right now and he's going to tell them they suck, its just what he does.

..........or just maybe this year they do suck.

At any rate, it don't hurt my feelings any. I'm a Parcells fan since way back, but can't feel anything for him while he's a "Girl".

By the way...why do they call him the "Big Tuna" anyway??? Always wondered but could never figure that one out.

Texan Asylum said:
At any rate, it don't hurt my feelings any. I'm a Parcells fan since way back, but can't feel anything for him while he's a "Girl".

By the way...why do they call him the "Big Tuna" anyway??? Always wondered but could never figure that one out.

He got it when he was an assistant coach with the Patriots. Apparently a player made a joke and Parcells responded back "Who do you think I am, Charlie the Tuna?" (A reference to the cartoon character from the Starkist commercials) They called him the Tuna since.

Hope that helps

Parcells is the football equivalent of JVG. Things are always bad with the team according to them even if they aren't.

I hate to revel in someone else's misery....ahh, what the heck, it's the Cowboys! lol: :yahoo: :highfive: :party:

tulexan said:
Parcells is the football equivalent of JVG. Things are always bad with the team according to them even if they aren't.

Parcell's is pro football's version of Lou Holtz. Lou Holtz's teams were always on the verge of a winless season if you listened to him.

Hutch13 said:
He got it when he was an assistant coach with the Patriots. Apparently a player made a joke and Parcells responded back "Who do you think I am, Charlie the Tuna?" (A reference to the cartoon character from the Starkist commercials) They called him the Tuna since.

Hope that helps
Thanks Hutch...

Texan Asylum said:

And here's the WHY specifically:

[Coach Parcells discusses how he got the nickname ''Tuna'' at a 1997 press conference.]
Bill Parcells: I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started.

CloakNNNdagger said:
And here's the WHY specifically:

[Coach Parcells discusses how he got the nickname ''Tuna'' at a 1997 press conference.]
Bill Parcells: I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started.
And thanks to you as well Cloak...

Back