Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Our offensive coordinator...

jaayteetx

All Pro
I couldn't even remember who it was, had to look it up. Anyone else have that problem? Rick Dennison, never gets mentioned round here, strange. Guess it's because Kubes does all the play calling? Anyone think he has had a meaningful impact on the team? Just looking for thoughts on the guy.

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what function Dennison serves outside of being a like minded person who Kubiak can bounce ideas back and forth with; a "consultant" of sorts.

Since Denny has gotten here our run game has been fantastic.

I almost started a thread about Dennison and tis very thing earlier. Ever since Gibbs left and Dennison took over this really turned the corner.

I started to wonder if Gibbs was great at one time, but just stuck with the orginal formula that was invented, while Rick was willing to modify a little.

OK, hold on a second here folks. This conversation is going in a dangerous direction. We already know that Wade is a kick ass defensive coordinator, and that Kubes let's him run the defense.

If we go trying to admit that Dennison is a good offensive coordinator, that means by default we have to admit that Kubiak has two good coordinators and he's becoming a good head coach.

Some of us just aren't ready for that yet. Let us just get used to being in the playoffs, and we'll get back to this later. :lol:

If we go trying to admit that Dennison is a good offensive coordinator, that means by default we have to admit that Kubiak has two good coordinators and he's becoming a good head coach.
:

Won two challenges in a row, maybe the tides turning.

OK, hold on a second here folks. This conversation is going in a dangerous direction. We already know that Wade is a kick ass defensive coordinator, and that Kubes let's him run the defense.

Some of us just aren't ready for that yet. Let us just get used to being in the playoffs, and we'll get back to this later. :lol:

He is light years better in clock managment. He won back to back challenges (lol). His players are highly motivated. He may be growing up in front of our very eyes.

lol. MSR.

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what function Dennison serves outside of being a like minded person who Kubiak can bounce ideas back and forth with; a "consultant" of sorts.

I actually think our offensive coordinator is a 2 headed monster.....Kubiak and Dennison.....after the first 15 scipted plays......

No, I know and respect Dennison's part in the team. Like everyone says our team has improved since baby Shanny left.

I wonder if Dennison has brought a little more toughness to the team.

I thought I read somewhere that Dennison allows the RB's to make more than one cut at any time while past OC's were strict in enforcing just one cut.

When Gibbs was here, the Texans concentrated on getting the zone blocking scheme down (and making sure that the line blocks the same on both passing and running plays out of each offensive play series.)

The line learned to play in sync very well.

With Wade Smith having played in different blocking schemes, it didn't take him long to sync up with the rest of the guys.

When Dennison came in, the Texans expand their blocking scheme.
They added the gap scheme (which is different from the zone scheme); it requires some hook block (or gap block) by certain O-lineman on certain play.
The playes also worked on pulling, something Gibbs scratched off so that the O-linemen can really master the ZB scheme and technique.

Here's what Falcons HC had to say about our O-line and scheme:

(on the Texans offensive line) “They work very well in unison. This, to me, is a very solid line schematically with what they’re doing and they work very well in unison. Not only are they a good zone blocking team, but when they run the gap scheme, which they are doing some gap blocking and pulling, there’s not a lot of holes or chinks in their armor. You can tell that they’re very confident in what they’re doing offensively, especially their ability to run the football with those two big backs.”

A little about the gap blocking concept:

The first, and most important part of running and excelling at the power play is getting your players to understand the concept of a “gap scheme.” Then we teach our players gap scheme, they must understand the base idea that they are responsible for blocking the gap directly inside them if they are a frontside blocker on the line. The center must “gap back” and secure the release of the backside puling guard. The pulling guard is most simply responsible for the playside linebacker box. The backside tackle must “gap hinge” to clean up the gap directly inside to the gap directly outside. This blocking scheme is somewhat universal to 2-back power offenses. Our approach in teaching the scheme and in presenting it in a multiple fashion to the opponent has helped us to have a great deal of success with the play in recent years.

UM-01.jpg

I think the fact that Dennison seems to lurk in the shadows is an indication that he's doing a terrific job.

Let's face it, the only time an offensive coordinator gets mentioned is when he sucks.

IMO Kubiak asks for a run, Dennison gives him a couple options based on situation or how well the offense runs a particular call, then Kubiak picks which call he wants to go with. Either that or Kubiak lets Dennison make his own call but still has his veto. Either way, Dennison has really been a great hire. The offense has had balance under his watch. And either way, it's still Kubiak's offense. I think when the D steps up Wade basically assumes control with Kubiak sort of supervising.

Touché old man, touché :)

Back