OT 2019 Simulator Draft......

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by OptimisticTexan, Oct 17, 2018.

1. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I traded both our 2s for the 25th - that feels realistic, we traded a 2-3-4 to move up to take Babin back 8n the day and 2 2s feels similar

I traded our 3rd to GB for 2 mid round 4ths and a mid 5th - I think that would be possible, especially if there was someone GB loved at 3-22

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

#25 = 720
    #54 + #55 = 710

Not knowing the exact pick #'s due to the comp picks to be inserted, the 3rd (160) for (2) 4ths (about 125) and (1) 5th (about 35) should be very close on the value chart, as well.

OptimisticTexan and otisbean like this.
  3. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Did this one on Fanspeak with Matt Miller's board:

1.23 - Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama
    -I'm usually in the group of rarely would I draft a RB in the first round, but the value here was just too good to pass up for me. OTs Little and Risner were on board, but couldn't pass up on a dynamic RB like Jacobs falling to the 23rd pick.

2.22 - Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State
    -Obvious need is obvious. It was a toss-up between Scharping and him, and I feel Howard has much more upside/athleticism to develop into a starting left tackle at the next level.

2.23 - Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
    -Love the size (6'3" 208lbs) and his ability to play press. I feel like he's the perfect CB to groom behind the veterans on this roster, and he should play significant snaps by his sophomore year.

3.23 - Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
    -Again this pick is all about protecting Watson. I feel like Lindstrom is more of a 2nd round prospect, so I couldn't pass up on him here. Could push for starter snaps in his rookie year.

5.23 - Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State
    -Much like Joejuan before him, Layne has the size (6'2" 185lbs) and press skills that I personally look for in my corners. Once you get to these mid-rounds, he's the type of player I like to gamble on.

6.22 - Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
    -I know with the myriad of injuries to receivers most Texans fans would feel a little discouraged taking a pure slot guy here, but I personally love the idea of pairing Renfrow and Coutee as guys that can attack the intermediate routes as the Texans spread defenders to give Watson more time to read defenses. (Think Edelman/Amendola) Coutee can threaten deep, while Renfrow can do the dirty work underneath with his great hands. Also love giving Watson a familiar target.

7.6 - Carl Granderson, EDGE, Wyoming
    -I doubt Granderson falls this far, but couldn't pass up on a guy with his measurables to be a developmental pass-rusher, especially if the Texans happen to move on from Clowney or Mercilus.

UDFA - Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
    -This kid will likely find a team take a late-round flier on him, but if not I really hope the Texans bring him in as a priority free agent. He's widely considered the best blocking tight end in this class, so yeah let's protect Deshaun!

UDFA - Joshua Simmons, CB/S, Limestone
    -Another guy I'd like the Texans to bring in as a priority free agent. He has experience playing all over in the secondary and doesn't hesitate to play the ball while in the air. Plus he was a teammate of Vyncint Smith, and maybe the Texans can strike gold twice when it comes to the small college in South Carolina.

UDFA - Donald Parham, TE/WR, Stetson
    -A small-school combine snub that may be a late-round flier due to his freakish size (6'8") and potential to be a great redzone target. (Which was obviously a struggle for the Texans last season) More of a luxury guy that could potentially find himself as the last guy on the receiver depth chart as a gadget player after spending time on the practice squad.

UDFA - Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls
    -Another small-school prospect with the size and tools worthy of trying to develop on the practice squad.

So what do you guys think? I know you can't solve all of your problems in one single draft, but I feel like this particular mock class would definitely help the Texans push them in the right direction. Comments and criticisms are appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    OptimisticTexan, Lucky and otisbean like this.
  4. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

They are some reports of Granderson having a sexual assault charge. He might get pushed way down the board

https://trib.com/news/local/crime-a...cle_59245cf0-059a-5ad7-8fb5-b14438bbf15b.html

Otherwise great draft. I do think Pipkins will get drafted, perhaps we could replace Granderson with Pipkins

Mari-OWNED! likes this.
  5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think it's well thought out, and realistic. That Jacobs pick is a tough call. Would look better if you knew the Texans addressed OT in FA. I've become a big fan of Lindstrom since the Senior Bowl. Very polished and ready to step right in. I may have looked at a nickel CB, as getting someone to cover the slot seems like an issue. But like you say, can't solve everything.

OptimisticTexan and Mari-OWNED! like this.
  6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

To be fair, 7th round is about as far down on the board as one can get. If the charges in Granderson's case aren't resolved in his favor, forget the Texans drafting him or even signing as a UDFA. And if they are dropped, or Granderson wins in trial, he goes before the 7th. But some team (Dallas, Cincy, NE) will take Granderson, regardless.

otisbean and Mari-OWNED! like this.
  7. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Wow... I had no clue about the sexual assault case on Granderson! I guess that makes sense why he was available that late. Thanks for the heads-up!

I guess I would replace Granderson with Pipkins in that scenario, but it pains me now to not address any of the d-line in this mock. Next one I do will try to remedy that.

otisbean likes this.
  8. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Your score is: 31220 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 3 (OAK): Dillard, Andre, OT/OT, Washington State (B)
    Round 2 Pick 22: Ridley, Riley, WR, Georgia (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 23: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 27 (IND): Adderley, Nassir, CB/FS, Delaware (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 22: Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 30 (JAX): Jelks, Jalen, DE, Oregon (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 33 (N.E.): Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 34 (LAR): Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 35 (LAR): Boyd, Kris, CB, Texas (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 32 (N.E.): Henderson, Darrell, RB, Memphis (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 23: Bates, Ryan, OT, Penn State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 23: Russell, Dontavius, DT, Auburn (A+)

I wish the real draft were this easy.

otisbean likes this.
  9. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

First Mock with Comp Picks included, changed some things up. The good, definitely found a couple of diamonds late but the info is scattered from wow to one of the guys at the position. If the reports are as good as advertised.....Crosby and Ferguson could be gone much sooner but would possibly be amazing additions if they're still on the board at those picks.

Fanspeak
    NFL Bigboard- Aggregate 20 FEB 2019
    Team Needs- User Voted
    Classic / 7 Rounds

023: R1P23
    RT DALTON RISNER (6-5 @ 310 lbs)
    KANSAS STATE

054: R2P22
    CB TRAYVON MULLEN (6-2 @ 190 lbs / 4.4 to 4.5-40)
    CLEMSON

055: R2P23
    OC ERIK MCCOY (6-4 @ 315 lbs)
    TEXAS A&M

086: R3P22
    RB DARRELL HENDERSON (5-9 @ 200 lbs / Projected 4.4-40 > Supposedly ran 4.3-40 Coming Out of HS)
    MEMPHIS

161: R5P23
    CB BLACE BROWN (6-0 @ 192 lbs / Projected 4.4-40)
    TROY

195: R6P22
    DE MAXX CROSBY (6-5 @ 265 lbs)
    EASTERN MICHIGAN

220: R7P6
    WR JAZZ FERGUSON (6-4 @ 223 lbs / Projected 4.3-40)
    NORTHWESTERN STATE

10. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Fanspeak: Difficulty mode

23: R1P23
    OT DALTON RISNER
    KANSAS STATE

54: R2P22
    CB TRAYVON MULLEN
    CLEMSON

55: R2P23
    TE JACE STERNBERGER
    TEXAS A&M

86: R3P22
    RB DAMIEN HARRIS
    ALABAMA

OT MAX SHARPING
    NORTHERN ILLINOIS

CB MONTRE HARTAGE
    NORTHWESTERN

WR TRAVIS FULGHAM
    OLD DOMINION

NastyNate likes this.

11. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Fanspeak: Difficulty mode

23: R1P23
    OT DALTON RISNER
    KANSAS STATE

54: R2P22
    CB TRAYVON MULLEN
    CLEMSON

55: R2P23
    TE JACE STERNBERGER
    TEXAS A&M

86: R3P22
    RB DAMIEN HARRIS
    ALABAMA

OT MAX SHARPING
    NORTHERN ILLINOIS

CB MONTRE HARTAGE
    NORTHWESTERN

WR TRAVIS FULGHAM
    OLD DOMINION

Texansphan likes this.
  12. OptimisticTexan

I was looking at both Sternberger and Fulgham as well.

TexansFan15 likes this.
  13. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

I’ve heard that Fulgham is under rated. He has great size, and could possibly add a new dimension to our WR core.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  14. OptimisticTexan

Take a look at Jazz Ferguson.....he was an LSU WR before transferring.

TexansFan15 likes this.
  15. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Will do!

16. OptimisticTexan

First Pick must have updated their site last night to include the COMP picks. I couldn't access the site yesterday but could today. Definitely players have moved but I'm still really surprised where some are ranked or positioned. I have certain players I'm interested in so I don't usually change the targets and like to see how the updates would affect me being able to draft those targets. I also like to keep a sense of reality as to where I think those players could be available. E.g., Dillard and Mullen both being on the board at the beginning of RD3.

Anyhow, I had to get creative with this one since I had the opportunity to offer or make trades. I tried to keep these within the realm of possibility.

TRADES:

1. Traded Up...by sending the Texans 2020 RD1 and 2019 RD3-23 to the Panthers for their RD1-16.

2. Traded Back...by sending the Texans RD1-23 to the Chargers for their RD1-28 and RD2-28.

3. Traded Up...by sending the Texans RD2-23 and RD2-28 (LAC) for the Giants RD2-05.

Moves set the table pretty nicely.

DRAFT:

Your Picks:
    (016) Round 1 Pick 16 (CAR): Williams, Greedy, CB, LSU (A)
    (028) Round 1 Pick 28 (LAC): Risner, Dalton, OT, Kansas State (B+)
    (037) Round 2 Pick 05 (NYG): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (B+)
    (054) Round 2 Pick 22: McCoy, Erik, C, Texas A&M (A-)
    (162) Round 5 Pick 23: Johnson, Isaiah, CB, Houston (A)
    (197) Round 6 Pick 22: Kaufusi, Corbin, DE, BYU (A+)
    (222) Round 7 Pick 06: Ferguson, Jazz, WR, Northwestern State (A+)

I would've graded each pick an A+ hands down. How can they rate drafting the #1 CB in the draft as an "A" if I pick him at #16? Same goes for Risner at #28. Hockenson and McCoy are in the right RD but those grades are off. Johnson in RD5 could be a push but for some reason...many all of sudden have him as a mid round talent, that's fine with me. Ferguson in RD7 would be an absolute steal....maybe the steal of the draft.

If the Texans could have a draft like this....it would set the table.

I have to mention the primary FA to sign as well.

FA SIGNINGS:

LT- Trent Brown (NE)
    RB- LeVeon Bell (PITT)
    LB- Jadeveon Clowney (HOU)
    FS- Kareem Jackson (HOU)
    SS- Tyrann Mathieu (HOU)
    DE- Christian Covington (HOU)
    K- Ka'imi Fairbairn (HOU)

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Panthers gonna give their 1st for a third this year and a first next? I don't think so

Nor do I think that Hockenson falls to the second

But is still pre-combine

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

420 + 160 = 580 v 1000

Not close.

760 v 660 + 300 = 960

Not close.

350 + 300 = 650 v 530

Bit of an overpay but not unrealistic.

19. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Did another Fanspeak with an updated board by Matt Miller.

1.23 - Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State
    -If Dillard is still available at #23, the Texans better sprint to the podium with his name on the card. Great athlete and the best pass-blocking tackle in this draft class in my opinion. Still needs to work on physicality and his run-blocking

2.54 - Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
    -See previous post on analysis.

2.55 - Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
    -See previous post for analysis. 2nd round is more realistic to be drafted, and likely higher than this.

3.86 - Andy Isabella, WR, UMass
    -If he runs in the 4.2s or even low 4.3s like he is projected to do at the Combine, he will likely be a 2nd round pick at worst, but here I gotta love the value. May have trouble outside against the press early in his career, but I believe he is not just a slot receiver. Also gotta love the speed, especially as Will Fuller insurance.

5.161 - Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State
    -See previous post for analysis.

6.195 - Armon Watts, DL, Arkansas
    -A commentator's worst nightmare if he's potentially playing DE opposite J.J. Watt. I'd be surprised if Watts fell this far, but his stock is kinda all over the place at this point. Violent hands and a pretty good run stuffer.

7.220 - James Williams, RB, Washington State
    -This draft starts and ends at Washington State. I understand the James White comparisons he's received as of late. Love his game in the pass attack, and he's more than capable of banging a few between the tackles. I personally would like this offense to emulate the Patriots in finding RBs on the cheap that excel at certain things, and use their abilities to create mismatches. Boobie would be a good start going in that direction.

Comments and criticisms are appreciated.

OptimisticTexan and justmy2cents like this.
  20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Needs in descending order spot on, if possible, that would be a home run draft :wesmantexanfan:

Mari-OWNED! and justmy2cents like this.