Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

OptimisticTexan Final 2017 Mock Draft

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm going to do my final Mock Draft based on the Trade Hopkins. Some folks are not going to agree with this move, but in all reality it could prove to be a sound transaction for the Texans in both 2017 and 2018.

I believe Cleveland would have a ton of interest in Hopkins, since they would like to cut ties with Gordon, the Texans could have a lot of interest in the potential cap savings they would enjoy in 2017 / 2018 by not re-signing Hopkins and run with the picks they would gain in return. This would really pave the way for the team to start setting the foundation for the future.....once again unfortunately but with a better sense of direction.

Final 2017 Mock Draft

RD1-25-025: RT / Cam Robinson / Alabama / 6-6 @ 322 lbs.

RD2-01-033: LB / TJ Watt / Wisconsin / 6-4 @ 252 lbs. or LB / Tyus Bowser / 6-3 @ 247 lbs. **Can't lose with either**

RD2-25-052: SS / Josh Jones / North Carolina St / 6-1 @ 220 lbs.

RD3-25-089: RG / Nico Siragusa / SDSU / 6-4 @ 319 lbs.

RD4-01-108: WR / Noah Brown / Ohio St / 6-2 @ 222 lbs.

RD4-24-130: RB / Brian Hill / Wyoming / 6-1 @ 219 lbs.

RD4-36-142: OT / Julie'n Davenport / Bucknell / 6-7 @ 318 lbs.

RD5-25-169: OG / Jermaine Eluemunor / Texas A&M / 6-4 @ 332 lbs.

RD7-25-243: DL / Grover Stewart / Albany State / 6-4 @ 347 lbs.

I believe most of these players would be available in the projected slots and they appear to have good character. If there is someone to be changed, feel free to counter. There is no QB in this draft!!! I'm building a foundation that could set the table for Savage, Weeden, FA, UDFA, or a 2018 Rookie QB to succeed with....as soon as this and/or next season. If QB is the teams focus in 2018, the Texans would possibly have a Top 3 Cap figure to work with not to mention plenty of picks.

Projected 2018 Draft

RD1
RD3
RD3 (CLE)
RD3 (COMP)
RD4
RD4 (COMP)
RD5
RD5 (COMP)
RD6
RD7
RD7 (COMP)

I believe this projection of total picks would be correct but COMP Picks could wind up in any round. I've listed the COMP Pick locations as only a guess. As I mentioned above, getting a veteran or rookie QB shouldn't be a problem based on the available cap space and/or picks in the draft.

Last edited:
You didn't include the "scenario above" details.

Changing directions mid post and missed making the corrections. Thanks for pointing it out and correction has been made.

As for the picks...any feedback?

If the Texans made this trade with Cleveland, and personally I don't think they would, but if they did, I would hope they would not use 4 picks on O-linemen since this is a weak class. Not saying all the picks are bad but I would just hope they would try to cover more areas that may be a little thin. I know you said "there is no QB in this draft," but I would like to see them take a QB for development in the later rounds. They're going to need 3 anyway and right now they only have 2 on the roster, so why not take Jarrod Evans in the 4th rd for development. Also, I'd like them to pick up another CB since JJo is getting old and K. Johnson is injury prone. One OG and one OT is all they should need to bolster the line and give them some depth. They can always take some more in 2018 when there may be a better class of O-linemen. I'd rather stagger the contracts anyway. You don't want your whole O-line (or any other position group for that matter) coming up for a big fat raise all at once. So, in short, if they go with Robinson in the 1st and Siragusa in the 3rd I would be good with that and then they could take Evans with one of the 4th rd picks and another CB with a 4th or 5th rd pick to balance things out. JMO.

That's true. But he clearly puts time in. I'd like to see him put out a more realistic mock. I'm not knocking his knowledge, just the process.

We're in agreement here , My response to his post combine mock -

Projecting the draft is a crap shoot at best ,adding trades to the equation makes it an exercise in futility .

Cap that off with the fact that trades like the one he projects just don't happen in the NFL , the CBA has all but killed off trading players of consequence for relative value.

When is the last time a player was traded and the team actually got a pick of relative value in return (aside from the Blundering Wizard of Os recently which now appears to have been a huge mistake) .... Schaub from ATL ? Was that under the previous CBA ??

Cleveland isn't sending a second round pick in exchange for DHop , they might offer up a 4th or some inconsequential "Conditional pick."

That said , what else do we have to do in the offseason besides that mental masturbation ..... Look at all the sh!t we've thrown at the wall about various QB's via trade. It keeps us busy and talking about football .... Sure beats reading the crap in the NSZ now days. I have half those numbskulls on ignore.

Couldn't agree more. My initial post was probably over the top. He's put out several versions of this type of trade. Cleveland is going to use their picks to trade up, if not stay pat. He seems to have good knowledge on prospects. I'd like to see a mock of his where we stay at our current draft positions.

Hey guys, wasn't it Bill Belichick who just sent his RD1-32 to the Saints for WR, Brandon Cooks? So, in our minds would we rate Hopkins behind Cooks? NO (Saints, lol) gave up Cooks and a RD4 for NE's RD1 and RD3.

Hopkins for an early RD2 and RD4 in 2017 plus a 2018 pick wouldn't be that far fetched. Granted, a 2018 RD3 might be a little advantageous but not impossible. Maybe they start the talks with a RD3 but could settle for a 2018 RD4 Conditional Pick.

Last edited:
Ok, for S&G's I went on FanSpeak to do a draft. Settings were CBS / FanSpeak. What it allowed me to do was insane:

RD1-25: RB / Leonard Fournette / LSU
RD2-25: OT / Taylor Moton / Western Michigan
RD3-25: TE / Jake Butt / Michigan
RD4-23: SS / Rayshawn Jenkins / Miami
RD4-35: DT / Eddie Vanderdoes / UCLA
RD5-25: OG / Jermaine Eluemunor / Texas A&M
RD7-25: LB / Hardy Nickerson / Illinois

In reality I'd have an A and B:

A:

RD1-25: OT / Cam Robinson / Alabama
RD2-25: OG / Dan Feeney / Indiana
RD3-25: LB / Alex Anzalone / Florida
RD4-23: RB / Brian Hill / Wyoming
RD4-35: SS / Josh Harvey-Clemons / Louisville
RD7-25: DT / Josh Tupou / Colorado

B:

RD1-25: LB / TJ Watt / Wisconsin
RD3-25: OG / Nico Siragusa / SDSU
RD4-23: RB / Brian Hill / Wyoming
RD4-35: SS / Josh Harvey-Clemons / Louisville
RD5-25: FS / John Johnson / Boston College
RD7-25: DT / Grover Stewart / Albany State

**Harvey-Clemons and Johnson could flip-flop positions depending on how the draft is moving on either position.**

RD1-25: RB / Leonard Fournette / LSU
RD3-25: TE / Jake Butt / Michigan
RD4-23: SS / Rayshawn Jenkins / Miami
RD4-35: DT / Eddie Vanderdoes / UCLA
RD7-25: LB / Hardy Nickerson / Illinois

I don't know too much about this year's prospects, I've read a little. I don't know that too many people would expect Fournett to fall so far. But I'm expecting the Texans to do something similar to this.

Swap Fournett for Peppers & Jenkins for Gallman, looks like a Texans draft to me.

Actually, I'd like to retract my desire to trade Hopkins. New stories are surfacing with him and Savage building a strong relationship and trying to be better in 2017. He's not concerned with his current contract situation and mentioned he's just ready to play. RS must have assured him his contract is in the works.

I don't know too much about this year's prospects, I've read a little. I don't know that too many people would expect Fournett to fall so far. But I'm expecting the Texans to do something similar to this.

Swap Fournett for Peppers & Jenkins for Gallman, looks like a Texans draft to me.

That was only a FanSpeak Mock Game draft. I'll stick with my "A" or "B" Mock Drafts as my personal options to improve the Texans for 2017.

Also worth noting, if RB, Perine (Oklahoma) is still on the board with Hill (Wyoming) I'd select Perine. Same type of back but just a little more physical.

Agreed, and in response to the Cooks thing, NO has several other receivers who are both cheap and productive. The Texans don't. It's really as simple as that.

That statement was made in regards to Corrosion saying a trade like my Hopkins trade scenario never happens in the NFL. It did a week back when NO traded Cooks to NE for a RD1 pick. Now to clear the air, I stated a couple of posts up that I was retracting my idea of trading Hopkins due to the fact, he's willing to play out his contract and he's looking forward to working with Savage. He's not putting himself above the team and that's good enough for me.

Back