Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

OK: Seasons half over: What do we need in 2007?

Wolf

100% Texan
I think the defense will improve with more experience in the scheme but...however.. I think we still need a CB and at least an upgrade at LB. We need more speed in that department.. Defensive line, I am still undecided, because I see talent,but not sure if it is the players or coaching scheme.

offensively... upgrade on right side of line. lots of money over there for results

oh and ST... Brown has disappointed me and Stanley, well he is good at high punts w/ not much of a return but indecisive on that one.(sorry power dragon)

returns.. mathis needs to get healthy

1) My first choice would have to be a top notch CB to pair with Dunta.

2) My second choice would be the best OLB available. If Wong can return to form & Ranier can handle the job, then I might look at my third choice here.

3) Next up, I'd take a look at the available FS's, or find a CB that can be switched to FS.

4) I'd be on the lookout for a steal at RB here, or the best available WR.

5) Here, I'd have to look at the big uglies. I believe that Spencer & Winston are our bookend tackles starting next year, but we need help & youth at RG & center. We also need a big, strong DT that can contain the run & consistently collapse the middle. Maddox has shown promise & may prove to be the answer to our prayers. If not, I'd take the best available DT, RG, or center.

6) Since the battle is won in the trenches, I'd use this pick on another big uglie.

7) Perhaps a kicker here?

I just can't handle another year of looking to the next (I am 4 complete years into that act). Honestly, with 8 games left the "needs" can changed greatly. I want to watch some things develop (or not) before looking to the future. In some ways, Texans fans have been asked to look at potential and the future too much versus what is actually being produced.

Generally, the team needs an overall talent up grade at most if not all positions, but my perception of some say RB for example (what if Lundy plays well over the 2nd half of the season) can change greatly. Personally, I am in wanting to evaluate what I see before worrying and hoping about next year. Otherwise I am going to go to heavy :shots:

I'm more interested in the free agent department.

1. Briggs should be highly considered. Good football instincts.

2. This could seal da' deal for the D-Line. Jared Allen from the chiefs. Hi-motor guy with some good skills. Opposite of Mario, man c'mon u gotta luv it:redtowel:

3. Samuels might be asking for to much, but if we could get him OK, but if not we pick one up in the draft.

Last but not least, might hurt some feelings but don't expect our team to draft a RB in the first round, it's just not happening. It may not happen in the second round neither, but it depends on who is on the board. As for drafting a RB in later rounds, keeps your eyes and ears focused on the kid fron Arkansas, if he declares this kid could be our guy.

We need secondary players. Buchanon was released and the only corners worth playing are Faggins, Sanders, and Robinson. We need more players at the position and we need better ones. We need an upgrade to the Earl, Brown, and Simmons combination we have at safety real bad. I think a FS is the better choice right now but a SS would help as well.

Top Corners: Leon Hall, Michigan. Daymeion Hughes, California. Aaron Ross, Texas. Dwight Lowery, San Jose St. Marcus McCauley, Fresno St.
Top Safeties: LaRon Landry, LSU. Michael Griffin, Texas. Brandon Meriweather(sp?), Miami. John Wendling, Wyoming. Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech.

We also need linebackers. Greenwood can't stop the run. He has the speed but he just can't do what we need against the run so I say by next year he is gone. Orr, as we all know, needs a replacement and we also have Wong. DeMeco is obviously the rising star in our linebacking corps. We are, overall, pretty weak at the position.

Top Linebackers: Patrick Willis, Ole Miss. Buster Davis, Florida State. David Harris, Michigan. Tony Taylor, Georgia. Paul Posluszny, Penn St.

This is just defense...we also need alot of offensive help, but not as much as defense.

One of the biggest problems I see in our defense is tackling. I think we need a big hitter the likes of Ronnie Lott, John Lynch, or Ray Lewis. Granted, Ryans usually brings a load and the pop that Earl put on Shockey yestarday was sweet. We need somebody with a nasty streak. An enforcer.

:twocents:

1st Round - Cornerback
2nd Round - Best Safety or OLB available
3rd Round - OLB if Safety taken in 2nd Round
4th Round - OL preferably Guard for max value at this point in draft
5th Round - Best player available
6th Round - Best player available

Who knows where we are picking in the 1st round so here is a quick Top10 players list based on value as well as the Texans' specific needs.

1 - Joe Thomas OT - Wisconsin
2 - Gaines Adamas DE - Clemson
3 - Quentin Moses LB/DE - Georgia
4 - Adrian Peterson RB - Oklahoma
5 - Levi Brown OT - Penn State
6 - Lamar Woodley LB/DE - Michigan
7 - Leon Hall CB - Michigan
8 - LaRon Landry S - LSU
9 - Daymeion Hughes CB - California
10 - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St.

Part of me thinks the Texans should draft Calvin Johnson as high as #3 but he would be a luxury item ala Reggie Bush. We need to get better on defense and on our interior line play.

Let me add that if the Texans are in a position to draft B.Quinn, Brian Brohm, or Calvin Johnson they should trade down. Many teams would pay handsomely for the chance to move up to get any of those 3 elite prospects.

Doug From The Woodlands

I dont know all the FAs but my guy would be Lance Briggs...........

1) A RB with some speed and some power! (Adrian Peterson) I would trade up to get a guy like that.

As week as we are in the secondary, it'd be nice to have a good OLB I think. It'd really help us out if we had a fast, in your face guy there. We also got to pick up a corner along the way.

On offense, it's time to start building that Denver-style Oline. Not sure if Kubiak can repicate what Gibbs has done, but we definitely need some Olineman (after 5 years still!).

I dont know all the FAs but my guy would be Lance Briggs...........

1) A RB with some speed and some power! (Adrian Peterson) I would trade up to get a guy like that.

I agree with Briggs, but I wouldn't trade up for anyone in the 1st round this upcoming draft, especially adrian who's had 3 injuries in 3 years. The fact is, we will be picking somewhere low in the draft and will get a good talent at that pick without having to move up. Also, losing a pick or two in order to move up within the first would not be worth the loss of pick...ie, wouldn't be getting our money's worth.

I agree with Briggs, but I wouldn't trade up for anyone in the 1st round this upcoming draft, especially adrian who's had 3 injuries in 3 years. The fact is, we will be picking somewhere low in the draft and will get a good talent at that pick without having to move up. Also, losing a pick or two in order to move up within the first would not be worth the loss of pick...ie, wouldn't be getting our money's worth.

Agreed.

Now if we picked up Briggs and Nate Clements in the offseason, going after a stud RB or Calvin Johnson would be great, while picking up a FS or OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. Or we could trade down and see if Landry falls to pick 16 or so and try and pick up another pick or two.

Now if we picked up Briggs and Nate Clements in the offseason, going after a stud RB or Calvin Johnson would be great, while picking up a FS or OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. Or we could trade down and see if Landry falls to pick 16 or so and try and pick up another pick or two.

If we are going safety in the first round I don't think we will trade down. I would bet that Landry will be hone by the 16th pick. Griffin will probably be gone b4 the 24th.

What about Cato June. Wasn't he a FA that was signed to a 1yr. tender. I think he should be considered as well. Anyways I think a ball-hawking safety would be the most useful for us. As he would be able to help out in various areas in our secondary. I've heard Landry has good ball-hawking skills, but also M. Griffin from Texas looks real solid as well. Thoughts?

What about Cato June. Wasn't he a FA that was signed to a 1yr. tender. I think he should be considered as well. Anyways I think a ball-hawking safety would be the most useful for us. As he would be able to help out in various areas in our secondary. I've heard Landry has good ball-hawking skills, but also M. Griffin from Texas looks real solid as well. Thoughts?

The fact is both safeties would be great. Griffin is very solid, but Landry is exceptional in comparision. Griffin is much better on ST though.

Cato might be a good acquisition, but he is a little undersized and may just be a better Greenwood, and a product of a finese IND D. But that's just an opinion, and could be very wrong.

At the very least, the bare min.... 3 new DB's !
Draft, FA's, me, anyone but these freakin guys. Earl looks good!

#1 best OL available
#2 and #3 CB best available
#4 and #5 best OLB available
#6 and #7 best OL available

Sign the best CB free agent
Sign the best OL free agent

Thats all we need

we need a decent draft pick so i say dont go too crazy with the W's and build for 07'. I would also think we would need an LB,CB,DE,RB,S, and some OL looking at the prospects and if we get a good pick we could definitely manuever our way to another stellar draft class and fill the holes in our team pretty decently. Next year i beleive we can make a run for the Wild Card if we address our weaknesses with some young talent:francis: :francis: :francis:

1. A top-notch O-lineman - We have yet to spend a 1st round selection on one. Isn't it time?
2. An NFL quality starting CB - perhaps we can get one in FA.
3. A star RB - we don't have one on the team this season, and DD's injury looks potentially career ending (you could argue he isn't even a star RB either).
4. OLB's - we need to upgrade in both of these positions. Greenwood and Orr just aren't getting it done.
5. Safety upgrade - take your pick if it is SS, FS, or both.

These are the positions I think need attention sooner rather than later. This looks like two years worth of drafting and signs to fill these needs adequately. Perhaps we could add an OLB, a starting DB, and either an O-lineman or RB this coming year and reassess our needs in 2008.

I'd say draft a corner in the 1st, and then move Dunta to FS. Kills two birds with one stone.

Then draft an OLB with the 2nd pick, and an OL with the 3rd.

I'd say draft a corner in the 1st, and then move Dunta to FS. Kills two birds with one stone.

Then draft an OLB with the 2nd pick, and an OL with the 3rd.

That could work, but I'd still say we needed another good CB.

Instead of drafting a corner and moving Robinson to safety why not get a cb and LEAVE Robinson at cb that way we have 2 good cb's instead of one! We can get a quality safety in the 2nd round. Maybe Griffin or Meriweather will fall to the 2nd...One can wish right?? And then in the other rounds look at LB, OLine, DLine, and more secondary help. If we could only get 1 high profile FA I would like us to go after Briggs, and then go after Leon Hall in the 1st, and Safety in the 2nd or BPA if there are no safety's worth a 2nd round pick on the board.

Why does everyone want to move d-rob to safety??

I absolutely hate that idea...

Because Dunta was pretty good at safety (I think Highschool, but may have been College too), He'll have more field vision, and despite his size he hits hard.

*Must Have* Clements in FA, I'll settle for Samuel. I would like to draft either a safety or a CB in the first round, and depending on what we get via FA and what our first pick is, then decide to move Dunta or not, Glenn Earl and CC need to compete for the SS spot, and that spot only (With Glenn Earl winning). Second Round, I would like to get an interior lineman, more specifically a great run blocking guard, but I wouldn't mind an interior lineman. 3rd round, Best Outside LB available, 4th Maybe a reciever or RB, but BPA. 5th, 6th, and 7th+ = BPA. With a kicker or punter somewhere in those picks.

OLB/Cornerback/Runningback

I used to be high on Orr, but it seems to me that he's more suited to play a 3-4 OLB than the 4-3. He looks lost out there at times.

Because Dunta was pretty good at safety, He'll have more field vision, and despite his size he hits hard.

Dunta is 5-10....174.....

If they put D.Rob at safety I will lose all respect for this coaching staff....

And you don't know that he'll have more field vision....and hitting hard doesn't have anything to do with being big enough....

If you could only fill 3 of our needs in this offseason, which three would they be?

For me it would be O-line, RB, and CB. OLB would get honorable mention.

And you don't know that he'll have more field vision....and hitting hard doesn't have anything to do with being big enough....

I had better field vision when I could see the whole field in front of me and not have to have my back to the QB as I stayed man to man with WR. He has to be better over the top then CC come on!

I had better field vision when I could see the whole field in front of me and not have to have my back to the QB as I stayed man to man with WR. He has to be better over the top then CC come on!

....I thought you meant he'd have better field vision than the guys we have back there now....I didn't know you meant he'd have better vision than he does at his current position....But yeah that's a given....

And I think he's be a better ball hawk than C.C, but I think there are too many reasons to leave him at corner...JMO....

Top of my list would be a CB, then OL. We are short one on the DL OLD and backs.

I say we try to get Adrian Peterson if he comes out and we have a chance to get him. He would be awsome for us and our system because he had good vision, very strong and also has breakaway speed.

Exactly...he will get blocked out of alot of plays...he is too small to shed blocks and do the things that safties do on most plays.

Alot is going to depend on players we have and their status for next year. Lets say DD,Spencer and Mathis and Payne are back next year ready to go. I would look D first and foremost. Now depending on what is our most glaring need at the end of the year RD. 1 & 2, I would pick a db,or olb. My preference would be to get La Ron Landry in the 1st, and Pusluszny in the 2nd. If he falls to the second. If not I would take Alexander from OU here. In the 3rd. I would look at Kenny Irons at RB, in the 4th I would look at an OL. For the 5th I would look at the fullback from Rutgers, can't remember his name right now. In the 6th I would take Crosby PK from Colorado. In the 7th i would take bpa for the practice squad.

I Say we overload on Defense..

1 - Best Safety or Cornerback Available
2 - Best Cornerback or Safety Available
3 - Best Linebacker Available
(Even it's ILB cause we could put DeMeco back on the outside in his natural position - imagine how better he could be)
Day Two
HB, OL and DT

I Say we overload on Defense..

1 - Best Safety or Cornerback Available
2 - Best Cornerback or Safety Available
3 - Best Linebacker Available
(Even it's ILB cause we could put DeMeco back on the outside in his natural position - imagine how better he could be)
Day Two
HB, OL and DT

As a person that beleives that Defense wins championships, I couldn't agree with you any more. You can win with a dominant defense and a servicable O. See Baltimore Ravens.

Address the Line and Defensive side of the ball

here's a look at what is coming in 07 in those areas

Offensive Line
Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) -Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

--Highest ranked OT in the coming draft

Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan (6-5½, 300) -He's a former tight end who has developed into a natural left tackle. Staley brings incredible footwork, athleticism and agility to the position.

--might be a perfect fit for what Kubes is looking for in a OT

Defensive Backs
Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193)-Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage. Hall leads the Wolverines with three interceptions.

LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205)-Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career. Landry leads LSU with 25 solo tackles

Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St. (6-0½, 200) -He has the size and speed (4.33 40-yard dash) with outstanding coverage technique.

Daymeion Hughes, CB, California (6-0, 187) -Big-play cornerback for the Golden Bears. Finished strong in 2005 and it has carried over to this season. Hughes has seven interceptions in eight games, which is tied for second in Division I-A.

Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame (5-11½, 212)-An aggressive ball hawk who brings a swagger to the Irish's defense. A true play-maker who also excels as a punt returner. --could be a nice hard hitting combo next to Earl and lord knows we need a PR

--All look like soild young DBs

Defensive End
Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) -Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 9½ sacks

--Yes, I say why not get two young promising DEs. Pair him opposite Williams and have a pass rush from hell

LB
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St. (6-1½, 235)-A productive and consistent player who studies and prepares as thoroughly as anybody.

--Maybe he will fall in the draft and we can get him late

Buster Davis, LB, Florida State (5-10, 242) -Rock-solid player who is a shorter version of Ray Lewis.

I say we also try and find a Home-Run-Hitter in a Slot WR in the draft in the late rounds, much like the Saints did with Colston

After reading the experts and their rants on some other threads, we need (in no specific order):
a) A new coach
b) A new coaching staff
c) A new Offense
d) A new Defense
e) New Special Teams
f) New Owner
g) New PA at Reliant

All that set for the 2007 draft, more to follow in 2008

I am pretty sure however, that everyone is okay with our cheerleaders.

I really like the idea of finishing what we started with our Defense.
My off season would look like this for our D

1. Sign Either Briggs or fletcher
2. Sign Either N. Clements or A. Samuel

Draft Scenario 1

rd 1. Landry FS LSU...is a ball hawk who can lay wood
rd 2. Merriweather SS Miami....hard hitting athelete
rd 3. D. Pressley DT N. Carolina St...T.johnson is garbage-payne is old
rd 4. A. Atwater ILB Clemson..could be a steal in this draft

Draft Scenario 2

rd 1. Branch DT Michigan.a beast to pair up with mario=no more Double teams
rd 2. Merriweather SS Miami..see above
rd 3. D. Pressley DT N. Carolina St..see above..would shore up d line for yrs
rd 4. A. Atwater ILB Clemson..See above

Use rds 5 and 6 for oline depth.

As far as offense goes Id look to sign a back such as M. Turner. And one or two Olineman.

Defensive End
Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) -Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 9½ sacks

--Yes, I say why not get two young promising DEs. Pair him opposite Williams and have a pass rush from hell

I have been thinking about this lately, except that we have Weaver and we would have to grab Adams in the top 10 of the first round. There are too many positions we can strengthen with a quality player in the top 10, I dont think we will take Adams, even though him and Mario would make a NASTY PAIR.

While I like what I saw from Spencer at LT, & believe that he'll be our starting LT for the duration of his career, I also believe that we could solve our entire starting OL problem by drafting Joe Thomas & sliding Spencer over to RG. Winston should be ready to take over the RT position by next year. A starting line of:

LT: Thomas
LG: Pitts
C: Flanagan
RG: Spencer
RT: Winston

.......would look really nice. We could look for some depth, or a steal, at center in the later rounds.

I'd like to see us pick up...

FREE AGENTS
Lance Briggs- OLB Chicago
Asante Samuel-CB New England maybe instead Nate Clements CB BILLS if the price was right.
NFL DRAFT

Round 1)
if in the top ten-
I say we grab Gaines Adams (Clemson) or Landry (LSU)
if not in the top ten-
then I like Leon HAll (Michigan) or Branch DT (Michigan)

Round 2)
if we dont get Landry in the first then we should go Merriweather in the second. If we do get Landry then I like BPA at CB orLB (I'd love to get lamar Woodley here but he wont last this long) but I thought the same thing about Demeco

Rounds 3-7)
BPA with regards to our needs O-line, LB, DB, RB...etc

IF we can add these few key Defensive free agents early then have another good draft we could have our first winning season next year .

Back