Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Half Assed Game Day Thread for a Half Assed Team - Bengals v Texans

They may aggravate you, but you need people like that in your life.

Remember, Elvis died on the toilet after being surrounded by "yes men" for decades. :fingergun:

Elvis dying on a toilet surrounded by yes men is a nice touch!

Lol

I'll take this for my rock analogy:

"Another Prophet of Disaster
Who says the ship is lost,
Another Prophet of Disaster
Leaving you to count the cost.
Taunting us with Visions,
Afflicting us with fear,
Predicting War for millions,
In the hope that one appears.

No point asking when it is,
No point asking who's to go,
No point asking what's the game,
No point asking who's to blame,

'Cos if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,
'Cos if you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,
If you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,
If you're gonna die, if you're gonna die,

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on,
If you're gonna try, well stick around,
Gonna cry, just move along,
If you're gonna die, you're gonna die."

Last edited:
I hope we win every game. I don't think that's possible, but that's not going to stop me from hoping.

The best guy in the draft isn't necessarily a guy in the top 10. We've proven that ourselves a few times.

And a team can suck, go 7-9, make the playoffs, and still improve themselves in the draft and through FA. Just look at the Seahawks and the Panthers.

I'm just about to the point where I think going first overall in the draft is a curse actually. It makes coaches and GM's kind of stupid and all the outside pressure actually limits who they can pick. We could have gotten more out of any number if players other than Clowney but "You don't go RT with 1-1" (heard that a bunch of times), or "None of these QB's are worth the 1-1" ( I'm pretty sure I said that a bunch of times).

Hell, we needed so many different things that we almost couldn't have gone wrong but all we heard about was Clowney or Bortles. Like nobody else existed. We could have used a QB, OL, LB, or a WR and better (though not 1-1 "worthy") were all around us.

I'm just about to the point where I think going first overall in the draft is a curse actually. It makes coaches and GM's kind of stupid and all the outside pressure actually limits who they can pick. We could have gotten more out of any number if players other than Clowney but "You don't go RT with 1-1" (heard that a bunch of times), or "None of these QB's are worth the 1-1" ( I'm pretty sure I said that a bunch of times).

Hell, we needed so many different things that we almost couldn't have gone wrong but all we heard about was Clowney or Bortles. Like nobody else existed. We could have used a QB, OL, LB, or a WR and better (though not 1-1 "worthy") were all around us.
Agreed. I was sure we would trade down to pick up draft choices, but we couldn't find the value required to make it happen.

Unless there's a clear consensus must-have player nobody wants to trade up. Ever. That's the worst part. You end up being almost cornered into taking one of the guys that the peanut gallery says are your only options.

I couldn't care less about Watt's comments. That's the point. It was not worthy of Dalton's over the top speech about the integrity of the game, and the poor children who look up to Watt. Oh and by the way, Dalton wised up and walked back--sort of--his comments. Something I am sure you do not have the courage to do.

Here's Clay Mathews thoughts

images

Honestly that post from banned1976 should end the thread (and I'm even sorry for posting after it to make this suggestion). That picture of the dog mounting up on the tiger perfectly sums up the Texans/Bengals MNF game. Nothing else needs to be said. If I was still a mod I would have just locked the thread up right then and there.

"That's a wrap boys!"

I heard an interesting stat about Bortles last night. All four Jags wins have been by game winning drives by Bortles, the most of any QB this season. The kid has that clutch thing, which is one of my own metrics for analyzing QBs. Too bad he's on a crap team like the Jags, but he could be the guy that brings them out of the basement.

On the other side of the ball, Mariota looks good as a rookie. I think he's got some potential, as well. If he and Bortles are competent, that would mean three of four AFC South teams have their QBs. We've got Brian Hoyer.

I heard an interesting stat about Bortles last night. All four Jags wins have been by game winning drives by Bortles, the most of any QB this season. The kid has that clutch thing, which is one of my own metrics for analyzing QBs. Too bad he's on a crap team like the Jags, but he could be the guy that brings them out of the basement.

On the other side of the ball, Mariota looks good as a rookie. I think he's got some potential, as well. If he and Bortles are competent, that would mean three of four AFC South teams have their QBs. We've got Brian Hoyer.

Eh, any stat can be taken out of context. Assuming you meant 4th quarter game winning drives, so I went and looked.

Miami - Jags never trailed in the game. Miami tied it with 10+ minutes left in 3rd quarter and both teams went scoreless for 25 minutes of game time before the GW field goal kick. This was two bad teams playing bad football. There was nothing clutch about that.

Buffalo - Jags were blowing them out of the water 27-3 and let the Bills score 28 straight point. Is it really clutch to throw a pick six to give up the lead, then score later on to win the game?

Baltimore - Game was over. 0:00 on the clock. Bottles didn't bring them back. The only reason they got a chance to kick the FG was because of Dumervil inexplicitly taking down Bortles after the play.

Tennessee - Last night's game looked and felt like a legitimate clutch 4th quarter comeback.

I get that the Texans QB situation sucks and doesn't look to get sorted out anytime soon. I get that they could have taken Bortles instead of Clowney. But that doesn't make him good just because what the Texans have is bad.

Is it really clutch to throw a pick six to give up the lead, then score later on to win the game?

Yes. Mr. Clutch, Joe Montana, threw three picks in the game before he threw The Catch to Dwight Clark. I'm not comparing Bortles to Montana, but only answering your question that "clutch" is what happens at the end of the game regardless of what happened before then. Good QBs can overcome their own mistakes in order to still make plays at the end. (And I'm not saying that Bortles is good at this point, but rather he has the ability to not get lost in his own head at the end of games after making mistakes earlier in the game.)

I get that the Texans QB situation sucks and doesn't look to get sorted out anytime soon. I get that they could have taken Bortles instead of Clowney. But that doesn't make him good just because what the Texans have is bad.

I wasn't implying they should have taken Bortles, even though an unpolished and inexperienced Bortles still has more potential than Brian Hoyer. Obviously, the Texans wiffed on Carr and Bridgewater.

It should piss off every Texans fan that we are wasting a season finding out what four other NFL teams already knew about the Brian Hoyer.

Yes. Mr. Clutch, Joe Montana, threw three picks in the game before he threw The Catch to Dwight Clark. I'm not comparing Bortles to Montana, but only answering your question that "clutch" is what happens at the end of the game regardless of what happened before then. Good QBs can overcome their own mistakes in order to still make plays at the end. (And I'm not saying that Bortles is good at this point, but rather he has the ability to not get lost in his own head at the end of games after making mistakes earlier in the game.)

I wasn't implying they should have taken Bortles, even though an unpolished and inexperienced Bortles still has more potential than Brian Hoyer. Obviously, the Texans wiffed on Carr and Bridgewater.

It should piss off every Texans fan that we are wasting a season finding out what four other NFL teams already knew about the Brian Hoyer.

The salt in the wound won't be that we find out what we (and everyone else) already knew. It will be when we win the division with a 8-8 or 9-7 record, exit in the first round of the playoffs, and then are left stewing over what could have been had we actually addressed the QB position with a serious answer instead of a bad practical joke.

I think I'm coming into the reality that OB may just be an average or maybe even below average head coach at this point. Nothing he has done in the 2 years here is telling me he might improve.

Don't disagree with anything you said and didn't mean to lump you in with the Bortles crowd around here. He does have more potential - infinitely more - than Hoyer. But he still has a long long way to improve before he makes that #3 pick worth it. And yeah, Brian Freaking Hoyer. If you're not pissed off about that, you're related to him somehow.

The salt in the wound won't be that we find out what we (and everyone else) already knew. It will be when we win the division with a 8-8 or 9-7 record, exit in the first round of the playoffs, and then are left stewing over what could have been had we actually addressed the QB position with a serious answer instead of a bad practical joke.

yep, and then alcohol added to that salted wound when O'Brien brings Hoyer back as starting QB in 2016 because we won the division with him.

I think I'm coming into the reality that OB may just be an average or maybe even below average head coach at this point. Nothing he has done in the 2 years here is telling me he might improve.

Exactly. Other than hiring Crennell to get an already good D back on track what has he done?

Biggest problem of 2013, glaring need for a new QB - nada.

Ruining the run game by the day.

Wants a passing game that spreads the ball not relies on a star - 3rd rounder on the bench and one star.

What the flipping hell is a TE?

yep, and then alcohol added to that salted wound when O'Brien brings Hoyer back as starting QB in 2016 because we won the division with him.

Don't make me drive to Houston and hit Thorn's bong.

'cak and I had a discussion earlier this season when we were both realizing the same thing. And it especially proves the point when our team is down 42-0 and 41-0 in the second quarter of games. Even Capers' and Kubiak's worst seasons, both 2-14, never had that kind of ass whooping in games. If that's not a ringing endorsement of "O'Brien is below average", I'm not sure what would be.

It does make you watch for the drama, though. Being in a craptastic division does have it's positives, like the Jags last night being 3-6 and still in the playoff hunt. That was so cute. For us, it will be watching this team on Sunday against a Jets team that is fighting for a wildcard spot. Two [potentially] great defenses, two very sucky offenses, so it will really come down to which team shows up and plays like a TEAM instead of a collection of players. That will be all about coaches squeezing everything out of the mediocre rosters that they've inherited / created.

On the one hand, I laugh at the Jags & the Titans for wasting draft picks actually addressing the QB position with a serious answer & missing the playoffs.

On the other, I'll laugh if we make the playoffs with Hoyer & Yates while Luck, Bortles, & Mariota watch... most important position & all.

Heck, if we get to face the Bengals & get to advance... I probably wouldn't be able to stand the pain from laughing so hard.

Then if Gronk parties too hard & have to miss our divisional match up... we're a butt fumble away from the Super Bowl.

if someone wants to put the same level of effort into a Jets thread, i guess I will try to make my fingers do the couple clicks to pin it.

Back