Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Offensive Line in the Draft

jacquescas

Veteran
I think our interior line could use more work than the tackles.

Wade was just given a 10 million dollar bonus, and Wade is coming off basically his rookie year.

On the inside Pitts seems safe, but McKinney and Weigart could have a backup groomed or challenging for playing time. Both are getting older and have been injured.

If you completely remove Barron from the board, or say someone else picks him. Our first round pick can be used on an impact player, Troy Williamson, Antrelle Rolle, or one of the other better prospects.

In the second round there should be offensive line prospects like Elton Brown, David Baas, Marcus Johnson, Adam Terry, Logan Mankins, and Chris Spencer... most of these guys will be avalible when we draft in the second round and all are rated almost has high as the top 3 tackles in the first round.

Marcus Johnson is worth a second round pick. Or you could just go Spencer/Wilkerson in the 3rd.

I just think Carr needs to be able to move up when the pressure is coming in from the DE's. But when your center is already in your space, its kind of hard.

Getting Baas or Spencer would be great, but I'd be happy if we got Wilkerson in the 3rd to compete with McKinney...If Wilkerson beats out McKinney, Steve could compete with Wiegert for the RG spot...

I think our interior line could use more work than the tackles.

I agree with that. Wade is our RT and I want to see how Wand plays out at LT this season after having a full season under his belt. I didn't even realize that Weigert and McKinney are 2 of the highest paid players on the team...hopefully the FO will address the interior line in this years draft.

I think Wilkerson will take at least a full year before he can provide legit competition for McKinney. His knee injury is part of it, but I think he'll have to really improve his strength without hurting his quickness in order to match up against the Strouds and Hendersons of the world. He was at like 305 or so at the combine I believe, and I'd like to see him up in the 315 or 320 range (packing on muscle of course). I think he'd be very successful at that weight, and I have no doubt that with his work ethic and the Texans training program that he'd be able to achieve that. I don't think he'd have a big problem learning the playbook or line calls. He's a smart player, and I'd love to pick him up in the 3rd with our 2nd pick.

What about Jason Brown out of UNC? Some have said he was the strongest center in college football, not just this draft, so he should be able to hold his own against the Strouds, Hendersons, and Haynesworths of the world...He may be able to make an immediate impact at center...

from Texans 7th rd Mock-

5th - Claude Terrell OG, New Mexico. 6022 344 lbs. 5.42/40. his forte is pass blocking with his short wide build, thick butt and legs. good mobility and feet should project as a future starter as RG. this seems the way the Texans do things and that is develop thier lineman, example Pitts & Wand. with all the money tied up in Weigert & McKinney I give them at least one more year, two outside, so this is where I look to see the Texans pick their future replacements and give them time to learn the system & develop.

7th - Junius Costin C, No Carol. A&T. 6026 310 lbs. 5.16/40. who know's by this pick but I don't really think we need another QB. here is another developmental project to replace McKinney in a couple of years. he plays at a small school so is a little unkown, has played tackle & guard as well. right handed and can snap in the shotgun, great size and mobile a solid 7th rd pick.

The Texans like to develop lineman with Weigert & McKinney solidly on payroll and still capable (barring injurys) to maintain their starting roles (for now) this is how I see Casserly re-tooling, with late round developmental picks that would be ready to start in a couple of years. we have yet to see this current line play together, healthy for the duration of a year. if they achieve this we could be in for a much better season, setting the tone for the youngsters to follow in their footsteps. :twocents:

ps. I agree the tackles are set. the only tackle I'm in favor of drafting if they where so inclined is Michael Roos out of Eastern Washington, he has all to tools size 6065 329 lbs. 5.23/40. Powerfull pass blocker with excellent hand punch (better than Barron's) still raw and needs development, but much stronger upper body than Wand.

D-ReK said:
What about Jason Brown out of UNC? Some have said he was the strongest center in college football, not just this draft, so he should be able to hold his own against the Strouds, Hendersons, and Haynesworths of the world...He may be able to make an immediate impact at center...

He is an interesting prospect. But strength isnt everything. I havent seen any game tape, but im sure he could at least put up some competition.

DC_ROCK said:
He is an interesting prospect. But strength isnt everything. I havent seen any game tape, but im sure he could at least put up some competition.

I know strength isn't everything, I just felt is was worth mentioning since a lot of offensive line prospects don't have the strength to be able to start immediately...His main weakness according to his NFL.Com profile are that he has limited mobility and may not be able to get to the second level and block LBs...

Back