Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

notable 06 free agents

keyfro

Veteran
recievers: andre davis, anthony bryant, edell shepherd, ike hilliard, reggie wayne, joe jurevicius, keenan mccardell, koren robinson, peerless price, peter warrick, quincy morgan, rod gardner

o-line: lj shelton, mike pearson, wayne hunter, chad slaughter, ephraim salaam, steve hutchinson, toniu fonoti

defensive ends: anthony weaver, carlos hall, corey redding, darren howard, john abraham, kalimba edwards, kenny peterson, kyle vanden bosch, raheem brock, robert mathis

corners: brian williams, chad scott, charles woodson, ike taylor, jamar fletcher, jerry azumah, kenny wright, nate clements, rw mcquarters, ray mickens, ricky manning, terry cousin, will allen

linebackers: akin ayodele, andra davis, cato june, david thompson, gary brackett, derek smith, earl holmes, gerald hayes, julian peterson, keith adams, kevin bentley, nate wayne, ronald mckinnon, tj slaughter, warrick holdman, will witherspoon, wali rainer

any thoughts?

there are alot of nice corners and DE's...The LB's look good too...Texans really need to concentrate on the free agent pool this year

interesting thing is the colts...they might be desimated by free agency...because you still have edge to re-sign along with reggie wayne then all three starting linebackers with two DE's...we could really pick up the ones they leave behind and be in a good spot

keyfro said:
interesting thing is the colts...they might be desimated by free agency...because you still have edge to re-sign along with reggie wayne then all three starting linebackers with two DE's...we could really pick up the ones they leave behind and be in a good spot
Maybe but I doubt it...If you were a highly talented free agent would you come to houston ?

xtruroyaltyx said:
Maybe but I doubt it...If you were a highly talented free agent would you come to houston ?
if the price is outragous enough i would. like a 10 million dollar signing bonus

Will Allen.

Switch to 4-3. Anthony Weaver.

Toniu Fonoti.

Cut Wong. Julian Peterson. hahaha. yeah right.

Assuming we have the #1 pick after this year, would any of those available O-linemen make a good enough left tackle that we should not draft Brick or Winston and instead draft Bush? Pitts might win the LT job next season, but I'd feel a lot better about it if ... a.) we had a guy for the future that could play both tackle positions and b.) Pitts had to compete and win the job, rather than just being handed the job.

eriadoc said:
Assuming we have the #1 pick after this year, would any of those available O-linemen make a good enough left tackle that we should not draft Brick or Winston and instead draft Bush? Pitts might win the LT job next season, but I'd feel a lot better about it if ... a.) we had a guy for the future that could play both tackle positions and b.) Pitts had to compete and win the job, rather than just being handed the job.

My head hurts after that tough open ended question. Is there a future Texan GM in the house?

Would free agents come to Houston? Absolutely, you have to remember that Houston has a lot to offer free agents: top notch practice facilities, an owner with deep pockets, and no state income tax. The other selling point will come in who the next coach is. If this were baseball I'd agree with the idea that we couldn't attract free agents, but the stories of rags to riches since the inception of the salary cap are too numerous to ignore. After all, look how quickly we went from average to horrible. Don't you think we could return to average that quickly with the right moves?

I would not talk about free agents leaving good, winning teams to play for bad, losing teams. We will have to build a decent core, before we can attract FA's at a lower price.

BTW many teams are going to sign these guys before FA starts.

Azumah wood be great. He is a hitter like Robinson and he can cover.(don't get excited, I dont mean Robinson can't cover.)

rittenhouserobz said:
I would not talk about free agents leaving good, winning teams to play for bad, losing teams. We will have to build a decent core, before we can attract FA's at a lower price.

BTW many teams are going to sign these guys before FA starts.

Agree that money usually talks, especially to persuade some to come to a bad team. There are some that can see the potential and know that they can come in and be a part of that rebuilding to a quality team. It helps when we have the facilities and owner we have.

I think it will be more persuasive when we make the correct coaching / FO office change. How well the FA's respond to who is brought in - if all that falls into place for the FA (and don't forget the $ finishes the puzzle nicely) they can be brough over.

Man, I hope McNair makes the "perfect decision" this offseason.

OK, I finally had some time to sit down and look into each of the available O-linemen. First thing of note -- only two of the players listed are starters (Hutchinson and LJ Shelton). LJ Shelton is a LT for the Browns. He was the starting LT for the Cardinals for six years. This is his first year with the Browns. A couple red flags jump out at me. First, why would Arizona let a quality LT go in free agency when they were supposedly getting over the hump and starting to be competitive? Arizona's done some stupid things, so this is not really definitive, but worth mentioning. Second, if he's a free agent after this season, then that means Cleveland only gave him a one year contract. This sort of substantiates that there might be a problem with this player.

At any rate, there is not a single LT in this free agency year that the team can sign in order to avoid drafting Brick or Winston. To me, that makes it pretty clear that a LT needs to be taken in the first round, which means no Reggie Bush. Draft Brick or Winston and have them compete with Pitts for LT while getting playtime at RT as well. The part of this I'm unsure of is Wade's contract and how it fits in.

Hutchinson (G, SEA) would be a nice signing, by the way :)

keyfro said:
recievers: andre davis, anthony bryant, edell shepherd, ike hilliard, reggie wayne, joe jurevicius, keenan mccardell, koren robinson, peerless price, peter warrick, quincy morgan, rod gardner

o-line: lj shelton, mike pearson, wayne hunter, chad slaughter, ephraim salaam, steve hutchinson, toniu fonoti

defensive ends: anthony weaver, carlos hall, corey redding, darren howard, john abraham, kalimba edwards, kenny peterson, kyle vanden bosch, raheem brock, robert mathis

corners: brian williams, chad scott, charles woodson, ike taylor, jamar fletcher, jerry azumah, kenny wright, nate clements, rw mcquarters, ray mickens, ricky manning, terry cousin, will allen

linebackers: akin ayodele, andra davis, cato june, david thompson, gary brackett, derek smith, earl holmes, gerald hayes, julian peterson, keith adams, kevin bentley, nate wayne, ronald mckinnon, tj slaughter, warrick holdman, will witherspoon, wali rainer

any thoughts?
These are the ones I wouldn't mind us going after. Many of them will likely be resigned by their teams before free agency begins but if they are available I think they could help us.

Back