Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nnamdi Asomugha is now an unrestricted free agent...

OK, now do we have a cap figure to stay under this year with the whole CBA thing? If so what teams can realistically make a play for him? Are the Texans one of them?

Now if there is no cap, the bidding could get CRAZY on a front loaded contract, at that point I would say we don't have much chance to get him, while I don't think McNair is cheap, I don't think he's going to pay an insane amount to get one guy.

If there is a cap, and we can fit him at the biggest DB contract in the NFL (which he will demand and probably deserves) would he want to come here. Let's assume every team who can pay him would offer him whatever he wants, would he want to come here.

I would assume like a lot of elite players, especially one from a losing team he wants rings to secure his legacy...... does he see in the Texans a team who can contend straight away?

I think it might come down to whether we can convince him that Wade Phillips can turn our defence into a NFL defense in one offseason, which might be a tall order.

Best case scenario I feel is that everyone else floods to Aso, while we throw ourselves at Champ Bailey and get him.

I also wanted to note that whoever constructed Asomugha's construct is a very confused individual. Why in the world would you include incentives, according to the article, deemed unachievable? That's equivalent to allowing the best player to walk away from your team after you've had ONE decent year.

Good job Al Davis. You might as well fire Tom Cable now too, right? Oh wait, you already did that.

With that said, I would really like to see the Texans sign Asomugha. But I'm willing to bet there are numerous other teams vying to sign him, and nothing in the Texans history has shown me they are remotely competent when it comes to signing free agents. Please prove me wrong.

Sign the man, Rick Smith. This is our chance.

My thinking on this is that Aso didn't really want to be a Raider and put the clauses in as an out while still getting paid up front. Smart move by him, desperate move by the Rrrrrrrrrrraiders.

My thinking on this is that Aso didn't really want to be a Raider and put the clauses in as an out while still getting paid up front. Smart move by him, desperate move by the Rrrrrrrrrrraiders.

That makes no sense at all. Why would Aso want to void a contract with so much garunteed money? That was a Raider move, and a really ****ing dumb one at that.

I didnt see this posted on here.

Per Rotoworld and ESPN:

SPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that essentially voided the contract if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. The clause also does not allow the Raiders to slap him with the franchise tag. He'll enter free agency as the biggest name defensive player on the market. Jan. 9 - 11:27 am et

Based on our record with big name players we wont be signing him. But whoever does will be paying alot for him.

Considering the circumstances, I think we pay him whatever it takes to get him here. I normally HATE paying through the nose to players because I dont think anyone is worth that much money (in general) but we have the cap space, he's the best CB in the game, our secondary is horrible, and he's an UFA!!

I know its not going to happen but hopefully Bob at least humors us fans and we get our name thrown out there in the rumor mill.

I hope this happens so bad.

I believe the free agency rules change this offseason. Playoff teams may not be able to sign him.

Texans try to sign Aso? I'll believe it when I see it.

Why would Aso want to come here?

His friend Andre plays here, on top of that it is a big market. He would get all the credit (player wise) in the media for turning around the defense if he can help do that. There is also the 100 or so million he'd be getting.

Despite our poor record and history, I don't think the Texans are quite in Lions/Browns territory yet.

With how bad our defense is. With how bad our cornerbacks are. With how bad our safeties are. And with having hired a "proven" defensive-coordinator...if we can't spend some money (money that would have been spent on Cowher and his staff AND paying out Kubiak's contract) then you guys should all know that this owner is. once again, a dumbass.

He has the chance to put ONE lockdown, talented, smart, physical, veteran cornerback out there on the field and essentially show the other secondary players how to play the game.

As much as Andre Johnson has helped our WRs, Aso would do that for the secondary. The whole friggin' secondary would have to daily raise their game at practices and would receive a psychological boost in confidence on game day.

A smart owner would have known about the impending Aso voided contract, would have said "let's keep this, let's axe that, and then go get this Aso guy and stop putting band-aids on gunshot wounds around here."

A SMART OWNER, that is. This isn't a project player. He isn't on a defense ran by Frank Bush. This is a Pro Bowl player who is highly respected and who I consider to be the Andre Johnson of the defensive secondary world.

This allows Wade Phillips to forget about targeting secondary in round 1 of the draft. It essentially frees him up to go LB or D-Lineman, whichever he wants at our round 1 spot. And I like those odds.

Let's see if (a) we're even going to formally go after him, and (b) if we can get him before he's used us as leverage against some other team.

I am one pissed off fan, as are others, and this would make me drop my Fire Kubiak avatar. I would drop my sig image. I would STFU from now until the bye week. Promise.

With how bad our defense is. With how bad our cornerbacks are. With how bad our safeties are. And with having hired a "proven" defensive-coordinator...if we can't spend some money (money that would have been spent on Cowher and his staff AND paying out Kubiak's contract) then you guys should all know that this owner is. once again, a dumbass.

He has the chance to put ONE lockdown, talented, smart, physical, veteran cornerback out there on the field and essentially show the other secondary players how to play the game.

As much as Andre Johnson has helped our WRs, Aso would do that for the secondary. The whole friggin' secondary would have to daily raise their game at practices and would receive a psychological boost in confidence on game day.

A smart owner would have known about the impending Aso voided contract, would have said "let's keep this, let's axe that, and then go get this Aso guy and stop putting band-aids on gunshot wounds around here."

A SMART OWNER, that is. This isn't a project player. He isn't on a defense ran by Frank Bush. This is a Pro Bowl player who is highly respected and who I consider to be the Andre Johnson of the defensive secondary world.

This allows Wade Phillips to forget about targeting secondary in round 1 of the draft. It essentially frees him up to go LB or D-Lineman, whichever he wants at our round 1 spot. And I like those odds.

Let's see if (a) we're even going to formally go after him, and (b) if we can get him before he's used us as leverage against some other team.

I am one pissed off fan, as are others, and this would make me drop my Fire Kubiak avatar. I would drop my sig image. I would STFU from now until the bye week. Promise.

This would do a lot for McNair's image with the fans. I hope he doesn't risk another year on passing on such talent in FA for 'building through the draft' something that yeah...hasn't worked too much for us.

this is it for Mcnair. This FA period is going to say alot about what he thinks of the Texans. Is McNair a owner wanting to win? Is he just an owner that doesn't give a **** about winning and only cares about making as much profit as he can.

Not saying it's Nnamdi or bust, but lack of money shouldn't be the reason Nnamdi turns us down.

This would be a hell of an acquisition. Hope the Texans get a big bid in even if Asomugha pulls a Peppers and creates a short list of teams he will play for. And I hope they don't forget to leak every detail of their effort (if any) to acquire Asomugha through sources other than McClain, because if they don't...

Age shouldn't be an issue. This is the kind of player who mentors others at his position and who allows a DC to get crazy imaginative in scheme.

Do it, please!

I would rather have Aso than Bailey (age thing), so this is perfect. Starting CBs- Aso and Quin, with Allen and KJ as the 3rd/4th corners. Add a FS through the draft, and the Texans defensive backfield looks a lot better.

Despite our poor record and history, I don't think the Texans are quite in Lions/Browns territory yet.
Actually, the post-expansion Browns are a pretty good comparison. The Texans are 55-89 since their inception. During the same time period ('02-'10), the Browns are 52-92.

I guarantee there are 31 fan bases and 31 front offices wanting to get his signature.

Not getting him will not necessarily be a condemnation of the Texans or Bob McNair.

I guarantee there are 31 fan bases and 31 front offices wanting to get his signature.

Not getting him will not necessarily be a condemnation of the Texans or Bob McNair.

No it won't be if Aso doesn't want to sign.

Actually, the post-expansion Browns are a pretty good comparison. The Texans are 55-89 since their inception. During the same time period ('02-'10), the Browns are 52-92.

Well...all the more reason to sign him so we can turn this ship in the right direction. If we can manage to get Aso and then he come here and does just that McNair might be more willing to spend.

No, but it could help redeem him in the eyes of some fans. For a franchise looking for something positive, signing an All-Pro like Asomugha at a need position would be just what the doctor ordered.

LanceZierlein This RT @StephStradley: Texans couldn't sign Schobel, despite him wanting to play in Hou and needing a pass rush. Nnamdi? HAHAHAHA!

Asked Lance Z; his reponse: they appear to be too cheap

LanceZierlein This RT @StephStradley: Texans couldn't sign Schobel, despite him wanting to play in Hou and needing a pass rush. Nnamdi? HAHAHAHA!

That's excellent.

I really hope we sign Nnamdi...

I'm just ultra skeptical.

No way do I see this happening.

Money or a winner he'll have a choice to make.

Actually, he can probably do both. The Texans can only guarantee one of them and make a "promise" about the 2nd. A defninite pursue, but not any sort of expect to for me.

This is a good thing simply b/c it might take focus off of bailey. All the usual suspects will be after nmandi. Let them fight over him. We should just concentrate our efforts on Bailey while everyone else is distracted by trying to acquire nmandi.

This would definitely help bring back some of the fanbase that was scorned by retaining Kubiak. The wagon would start to fill back up.

From Bob's recent comments it seems like he has finally gotten the point. Something like this would be a step in the right direction to proving that. The Texans need to make the first HOLY SH!T move in franchise history, and bring Nnamdi in if at all possible.

I'm not gonna hold my breath though, lol. :kitten:

Asomugha also could have triggered his 2011 option by improving upon his interception, fumble recovery or sack totals this season. The four-time Pro Bowl corner had no interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks in 2010.

Asomugha's option would have kicked in had he recorded just one interception, one fumble recovery or one sack, a league source told the Oakland Tribune Sunday.
Hmmm. :hmmm:

Yeah. the McNair Is Cheap mantra is reserved for only a few lunatics on here....

Wait a second. Lance Z says this likely won't get done because it appears the Texans are too cheap?

Somebody should slam Lance Z, on here, over and over again and tell him what an ass he is for even perpetuating this vicious, baseless indictment.

If we don't get a top-flight CB this off-season, and I'm not talking about somebody's cast-off lame-ass CB either, then we're screwed. Because "the kids" are not going to flourish learning a whole new defense and be expected to produce. It's going to take a veteran, a good veteran.

Nice discussion, but it ain't happening, and yall know it. It would be wonderful if it did though.

Yeah. the McNair Is Cheap mantra is reserved for only a few lunatics on here....

Wait a second. Lance Z says this likely won't get done because it appears the Texans are too cheap?

Somebody should slam Lance Z, on here, over and over again and tell him what an ass he is for even perpetuating this vicious, baseless indictment.

If we don't get a top-flight CB this off-season, and I'm not talking about somebody's cast-off lame-ass CB either, then we're screwed. Because "the kids" are not going to flourish learning a whole new defense and be expected to produce. It's going to take a veteran, a good veteran.

I don't think LZ is calling the Texans cheap, rather he's saying that the Schobel signing should have been a slam dunk and the FO didn't/couldn't get it done. Signing a long shot All-star like Aso..scrabble should be looked at as a fairy tale after that

If I remember correctly, Kubiak was quoted (in paraphrase) that Wade would be given all the pieces that he needs to make the D successful. That type of statement would never have been made, if it didn't mimic McNair's statements to Kubiak. It's time for McNair to ante up.

If I remember correctly, Kubiak was quoted (in paraphrase) that Wade would be given all the pieces that he needs to make the D successful. That type of statement would never have been made, if it didn't mimic McNair's statements to Kubiak. It's time for McNair to ante up.

Agreed! The only FA I thought we should have gone after in the past was Turner, but given their system I can understand why they passed. This is a completely different animal. This guy is ultra elite, in his prime, a stand up guy and fills a HUGE position of need. He should be given the full court press by our FO. It would go a long way towards showing McNair is serious about building a championship team

I don't think LZ is calling the Texans cheap, rather he's saying that the Schobel signing should have been a slam dunk and the FO didn't/couldn't get it done. Signing a long shot All-star like Aso..scrabble should be looked at as a fairy tale after that

Except you're not representing it correctly.

Lance Z said it won't get done because it appears the Texans are too cheap. We can haggle over the word "appears," since it's his speculation. But hey, I think Lance Z is saying "This is why" here.

I think he even threw in several Ha Ha Ha! type laugh phrases, too, didn't he?

Why would he do that?

Because he, too, knows that this owner won't pull the trigger on the necessary deal. Due to money.

It's just more of the same. McNair is years behind every learning curve. He finally found the balls the pay a competent d-coord. It will be a few more years before he finds balls enough to do something like signing an Aso-type player.

You guys are trying to act like this is no big deal.

It is a HUGE deal. The owner isn't a day late and a dollar short. Think more in terms of years and millions of dollars.

Slow and steady wins the race, right? I remember when the Packers, just a few years ago, were not in the position they are tonight. People got all over the Packers management for dumping Brett Favre, and all they did was go out and do things right. People thought that Packers team would crater without Favre, just as people think this Texans team would crater without Kubiak.

Two straight years in the playoffs, and they look damn good. All this after losing the Immortal Brett Favre, people wondering if Aaron Rodgers was ready for the moment, the fans jumping off cliffs because Favre wasn't there and the change was too "TRAUMATIC" and look at them: A damn sight better than us.

Without a true CB, this defense is screwed. Well hell, lookie-there! I spotted the guy that you don't even have to wonder for one second whether or not he will succeed. He will.

McNair said, of the Wade Phillips and Gary Kubiak duo: "It WILL work."

Well help them out, boss. Give them someone to put out there and show "the kids" how it's done. Or will we go grab some cast-off, nobody-wants-their-ass-anyways CBs?

Yeah, I know how this plays out. The move is too big. Too "traumatic" to McNair's senses. It'd put him in a coma.

No, I think McNair thinks it will be "business as usual" in terms of acquiring players.

He feels the Wade Phillips hiring IS the big free agency haul that was spoken of.

It's over. Phillips is THE hire that solves everything.

Oh, we'll grab some nobody-wants-my-ass player out there. And the Texans P.R. hype machine will sell him, via coach's comments (Wade is currently being coached, by Texans P.R. personnel on how to do this, mind you) that this new guy is "on his way up," and "just needs a chance to shine," you know...the same old bullshit they've been shoveling on us mushrooms for nine years now.

McNair thinks we can do same old crap, build through the draft, and BAM! we're in the playoffs.

LOL.

This IS how it will go down. If we sign Aso, I promise I will drop everything: Avatar, Sig, and I won't say a bad word about this team until the bye week.

I think I have this bet won, though. Patterns. This team is predictable. It has patterns of how it operates. And it isn't changing in a matter of a few weeks.

Seems to me Kubiak and McNair have said opposite things in this young, early offseason. I'd have to go back and look to see if this really holds true. Maybe just my imagination.

Kubiak:
(on whether it will matter if the defensive coordinator he hires runs a 3-4 or a 4-3 scheme) “You know what, it doesn’t. I’ve been asked that a couple times today. I think what we have to do is respect the person that we hire, knowing that we’re getting the best guy available; and we’ve got to say, ‘Look at our personnel,’ and I don’t think it really matters what we play. Whatever he thinks is best and gives us the best chance to be successful, then we should adapt to him. So we’re going to turn it over to him.”

(on if the new defensive coordinator will have input into defensive personnel) “No doubt. We need to do everything we can to support that guy. Like I said, we’ve got a problem. We have not played good defense. This year was very, very poor. We’ve got to go out there and sell our program to a top-notch guy and we’ve got to let him know we’re going to totally support him and what he doesn’t think he has, we need to go get it for him and whatever we can do to get better. This football team needs to see us be totally committed to getting better on that side of the ball and that means supporting whoever we bring in.”

Also there was this from McNair a few days ago:

He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel. And I agree with him."

No, I think McNair thinks it will be "business as usual" in terms of acquiring players.

He feels the Wade Phillips hiring IS the big free agency haul that was spoken of.

It's over. Phillips is THE hire that solves everything.

Oh, we'll grab some nobody-wants-my-ass player out there. And the Texans P.R. hype machine will sell him, via coach's comments (Wade is currently being coached, by Texans P.R. personnel on how to do this, mind you) that this new guy is "on his way up," and "just needs a chance to shine," you know...the same old bullshit they've been shoveling on us mushrooms for nine years now.

McNair thinks we can do same old crap, build through the draft, and BAM! we're in the playoffs.

LOL.

This IS how it will go down. If we sign Aso, I promise I will drop everything: Avatar, Sig, and I won't say a bad word about this team until the bye week.

I think I have this bet won, though. Patterns. This team is predictable. It has patterns of how it operates. And it isn't changing in a matter of a few weeks.

I think you're exactly right.

Last edited:
McNair Bringing in ASO

LOL

If it happens you know the Myan calander thing is real.

I will take back everything I said about McNair being cheap if he signs ASO.

History says I wont be taking anything back.

BTW, You should check out the Lions boards. They are crazy hot for ASO.

McNair Bringing in ASO

LOL

If it happens you know the Myan calander thing is real.

I will take back everything I said about McNair being cheap if he signs ASO.

History says I wont be taking anything back.

BTW, You should check out the Lions boards. They are crazy hot for ASO.

I'm sure all the teams boards are crazy hot for ASO.

If any person here says that Aso doesn't need to be here, then I don't know what to say. That person is lying. They are trying to act as if he's not a player that could transform a defense, at least the entire secondary for that matter.

I already see that some people are trying to rationalize us not signing him by saying all the other teams, especially the good ones, will get him.

Why so?

Why couldn't THIS team sign him? I'll tell you why: Because this team's owner thinks Wade Phillips is the answer. McNair spent the big bucks. Now the Magic Man (Phillips) gets to wave his magic wand and transform it before our very eyes!

"He saw exactly what our problems were, and he had ideas as to how they could be corrected that weren't necessarily requiring a lot of additional personnel. And I agree with him." - McNair

I am shocked. Kubiak told McNair that he could work with David Carr, and he gets the HC job. LOL. And Wade tells McNair that he can get it done without requiring a lot of additional personnel.

You gotta' admit, Kubiak must have told Wade eggzactly what to say in the interview. LOL. Nicely played, boys. You know how to get in daddy's ear and get what you want. And daddy is happy. So happy.

If we have the money after cutting Okoye and Jacoby and a few other under performers...we should go after Seymour too. If we are going to go to a 3-4 and you see Mario, Seymour and Antonio Smith going after the QB....if Conner Barwin is ready and Demeco is back 100% we can have Barwin, Mark Anderson and Cushing outside rushing QBs all day long. I'm not going to get to excited though...I know what happens everytime I do.

If any person here says that Aso doesn't need to be here, then I don't know what to say. That person is lying. They are trying to act as if he's not a player that could transform a defense, at least the entire secondary for that matter.

I already see that some people are trying to rationalize us not signing him by saying all the other teams, especially the good ones, will get him.

Why so?

Why couldn't THIS team sign him? I'll tell you why: Because this team's owner thinks Wade Phillips is the answer. McNair spent the big bucks. Now the Magic Man (Phillips) gets to wave his magic wand and transform it before our very eyes!

I am shocked. Kubiak told McNair that he could work with David Carr, and he gets the HC job. LOL. And Wade tells McNair that he can get it done without requiring a lot of additional personnel.

You gotta' admit, Kubiak must have told Wade eggzactly what to say in the interview. LOL. Nicely played, boys. You know how to get in daddy's ear and get what you want. And daddy is happy. So happy.

Well lets just hope there isn't too much in that quote. Afterall it doesn't say 'He doesn't need ANY changes' just not a lot of major upheaval. Which is true IMO. DT/NT is the area in the front 7 that needs the most attention. A impact corner, and cover safety.

Hopefully Wade is determined to get Nnamdi. Hopefully Kubiak is also wanting Wade knowing it would make the team better....afterall if this team thinks just a draft will get this defense back on the right track then they are in for a rude awakening......yet again.

In addition to Nnamdi, Richard Seymour may be a unrestricted FA too...if we can grab both of them, cut Okoye and jacoby jones...we could trade out of the first round and save the first rounder draft picks money. If we can't get Seymour too then just hope that Fairley DT from Auburn is still on the board when we pick.

Reactions: GP
In addition to Nnamdi, Richard Seymour may be a unrestricted FA too...if we can grab both of them, cut Okoye and jacoby jones...we could trade out of the first round and save the first rounder draft picks money. If we can't get Seymour too then just hope that Fairley DT from Auburn is still on the board when we pick.

I like that idea.

But it's too traumatic of a move. It really is.

Slow and steady wins the race, remember?

Man, two slam-dunk defensive players at two spots that need it the most. Save the money on a first rounder's contract (especially since he will be at no. 11, IIRC).

I'd dump Jacoby. And I'd dump Okoye. Two project players dumped so that we can get two legitimate defensive players.

How could the financial aspects NOT work out? Anyone got possible pitfalls and ideas on why it wouldn't?

By the way, for the trolls out there, this is how you enter into "football talk" while also slinging some barbs and darts: You just mix in some actual football conversation with it all. It works. Try it.

Well lets just hope there isn't too much in that quote. Afterall it doesn't say 'He doesn't need ANY changes' just not a lot of major upheaval. Which is true IMO. DT/NT is the area in the front 7 that needs the most attention. A impact corner, and cover safety.

Hopefully Wade is determined to get Nnamdi. Hopefully Kubiak is also wanting Wade knowing it would make the team better....afterall if this team thinks just a draft will get this defense back on the right track then they are in for a rude awakening......yet again.

I know. Nothing "traumatic." We just want an out-patient, day surgery type of fix. Because we're just right on the cusp of getting to the playoffs.

Look at ubecool's idea. Unless the financials would be totally off, we could rid ourselves the $ for Jacoby and Okoye and gain Seymour and Aso. Bam.

The bad thing about Nnamdi O becoming a free agent is that probably every team that didn't make the playoffs are going to check into signing him. One good thing about it is that we have played the Raiders quite a few times in the past years and hopefully he sees a team that is in need of him and has a nice new stadium that doesn't have mold..lol. Maybe the stadium and can be a selling point to him. If he is only going to want Dunta money I say give it to him.....I didn't want to see Dunta go but this guy is better than Dunta and has much more range.

Last edited:
I imagine if Wade came in and said " I have looked at 15 games of tape on the defense, they don't have much talent"

then some would ask"why did we hire him then if it is going to take some time to fix it"

as for the actual topic of the thread.

man it would be nice, but what are the other CB's that are becoming FA?

any of them give us some bang for the buck?

I imagine if Wade came in and said " I have looked at 15 games of tape on the defense, they don't have much talent"

then some would ask"why did we hire him then if it is going to take some time to fix it"

as for the actual topic of the thread.

man it would be nice, but what are the other CB's that are becoming FA?

any of them give us some bang for the buck?

I think that Joseph out of Cinci would be a nice pick up. I think that one of the Carolina CB's may be available. Not sure who else will be available.

Back