Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Here is another Combine interview Nick did with Florio yesterday wearing his GM hat. He's different person altogether, lots of babble and rhetoric where he says a lot but none of it makes any sense. A massive difference in Nick the Administrator vs Nick the GM. I like Nick the administrator, I don't like Nick the GM: Texans GM Nick Caserio has no timetable for Watson resolution (FULL INTERVIEW) | PFT | NBC Sports - YouTube
This is BS. i don’t even know why NC bothered to do that interview. There is absolutely nothing he can do until the police investigations are finalized and he has intel to work from. And it’s not a stretch of the imagination that the League is guiding the rhetoric until then. He is for now just purposely avoiding questions that are too stupid to even ask.

If it matters to anyone, at the combine presser NC bluntly stated that Cal put the hiring of the HC on his (NC’s) shoulders. There it is. Call him a liar if you want but that should stop all of this beauty shop gossip.
No, you're absolutely right, that is pretty much what happened, in Nick Caserio's own words, Cal (McNair) put it (hiring a HC) on my shoulders to kind of make the decision I felt was best and to bring candidates to the table,” That's exactly what Nick did, right up until STRIKE 3 when Gannon withdrew his name. There is no doubt that Nick did in fact bring candidates to the table. He did do that. Unfortunately, he was not able to land any of the candidates he brought to the table. At which point when the cupboard was bare and all the fish had gotten away, Cal and Janice had to get involved and make the decision to hire Lovie. "But, in the end, we just felt that Lovie made the most sense for our team and situation at the time.” Notice Nick's change in the pronoun use? He went from I to WE.

If Nick had made the decision to hire Lovie, Lovie would not have been telling Rich Eisen on the Rich Eisen radio show that Caserio's days of wearing a headset on game day were over.

Last edited:
If it matters to anyone, at the combine presser NC bluntly stated that Cal put the hiring of the HC on his (NC’s) shoulders. There it is. Call him a liar if you want but that should stop all of this beauty shop gossip.

Funny that this comes out now. He used we instead of I. That tells me the boardroom philosophy is still in place.

I don't believe It.

It’s not gossip.

It is straight up biased speculation based on what unqualified people want to believe further their agenda with no facts to back it up.

I would blame Russian trolls, but they have been shut down.

It is probably some trolls from Jacksonville and the web of lies caught some low hanging fruit.

People will believe everyone else but what comes out the horses mouth. That’s just human nature in this day in time.
Just to be clear, the horse's mouth NEVER said he, I, me hired Lovie Smith. The Horse's mouth did say he brought candidates to the table. Sometimes people only hear what they want to hear and when it is not what they want to hear, they're in denial. The horse's mouth will not be on headsets on gameday. That comes directly from a bigger horse's mouth.

Just to be clear, the horse's mouth NEVER said he, I, me hired Lovie Smith.

That’s what you people are hanging onto?

Last I checked Caserio doesn’t own the Texans. As it is with other GMs with other franchises.

Where are the overwhelming amount GMs that hire coaches without ownership approval?

There is necessary input and someone has to sign off on it. So it is a “we” decision. GMs have to get approval.

It’s not gossip.

It is straight up biased speculation based on what unqualified people want to believe further their agenda with no facts to back it up.

I would blame Russian trolls, but they have been shut down.

It is probably some trolls from Jacksonville and the web of lies caught some low hanging fruit.

So you honestly believe Lovie was a Caserio pick?
If it doesn’t align up with our agenda like Texans Bull stated above its not factual. But a reporter who is looking for clicks can say whatever and it’s factual. Now you guys are calling Nick a liar. So I guess you’re going to go all in on him now.

Yes I'm saying that for 30 mil people will and have lied.

Do you actually think that a 63 yr old retread Lovie was a Caserio choice. If you're correct and Caserio isn't lying this franchise is so screwed. It looks to me like an 85 yr old woman and her baby Huey son are making the final calls on things instead of doing what Calhoun said he hired Caserio to do.

If I'm wrong then Caserio should be fired immediately.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the horse's mouth NEVER said he, I, me hired Lovie Smith. The Horse's mouth did say he brought candidates to the table. Sometimes people only hear what they want to hear and when it is not what they want to hear, they're in denial. The horse's mouth will not be on headsets on gameday. That comes directly from a bigger horse's mouth.

He did say We instead of I or me.

That speaks volumes as to whether the boardroom still exists.

That’s what you people are hanging onto?

Last I checked Caserio doesn’t own the Texans. As it is with other GMs with other franchises.

Where are the overwhelming amount GMs that hire coaches without ownership approval?

There is necessary input and someone has to sign off on it. So it is a “we” decision. GMs have to get approval.

The GM's present their candidate.

The ownership usually accepts the GM's recommendations, particularly when ownership says the GM has full control over football opps. I do believe when it comes to the draft that Caserio will be making the final calls on players draft and also players singed in FA.

So you honestly be

Yes I'm saying that for 30 mil people will and have lied.

Do you actually think that a 63 yr old retread Lovie was a Caserio choice. If you're correct and Caserio isn't lying this franchise is so screwed. It looks to me like an 85 yr old woman and her baby Huey son are making the final calls on things instead of doing what Calhoun said he hired Caserio to do.

Again you’re only basing this off of hearsay from what was posted on here or from the local media. ( who has bashed them only because they’re not getting the access they use to have.

But what I have gathered from you over the many years of being on here. That once you have a certain mindset, there’s no changing it.

If it doesn’t align up with our agenda like Texans Bull stated above its not factual. But a reporter who is looking for clicks can say whatever and it’s factual. Now you guys are calling Nick a liar. So I guess you’re going to go all in on him now.

Reporters rely on people like Amy Palcic to leak information. Information that at times aren’t credible and just creates noise.

A lot of times reporters say “sources” that “believe” something.

That shouldn’t mean **** to nobody because it doesn’t mean ****.

But hey - to those that want to make something out of nothing, because it is nothing, they can continue to spin things and take things out of context.

Again you’re only basing this off of hearsay from what was posted on here or from the local media. ( who has bashed them only because they’re not getting the access they use to have.

But what I have gathered from you over the many years of being on here. That once you have a certain mindset, there’s no changing it.

I'm not basing anything off of the media or anybody here. I'm basing this off of 2 decades of watching how the McNair's do business. They're the type of mgmt that I hate to do work for, I would say it's not worth the money, but 30 mil has a way of changing that opinion. I bet if Caserio knew what he knows now he would've turned Janice/Calhoun down and waited for another opportunity. He most likely would be in Vegas with McDaniels with an ownership that puts winning 1st and foremost.

Funny that this comes out now. He used we instead of I. That tells me the boardroom philosophy is still in place.

I don't believe It.s
I do. So you think NC talks to the candidates in a vacuum, lol. NC very obviously had a group of coaches that did a good job last year and wanted to keep on the staff to speed the conversion to a new HC. You don’t think he didn’t talk to some of these coaches himself? Its not a secret that Pep was told something early on about a move to OC since he declined similar interviews elsewhere. The intimacy between Lovie, Pep and many of these coaches makes it not unusual to say we as a courtesy and especially when he informed Cal with his decision…or do you think he was going to hire Lovie without a courtesy call to his boss. All Cal would have to say is then Get it done, good job and I agree…That’s all.

Other reasons why Caserio was not responsible for hiring Lovie is because unlike Culley, Lovie hired his entire staff without any input from Caserio. Unlike Culley, Lovie is not a socket puppet answering to Caserio. Unlike Culley, Caserio does not dictate the style of offense the team will play. For all practical purposes Caserio answers to Lovie. It's kind of farfetched to believe that Caserio would hire Lovie and then demote himself to become Lovie's chief administration aid. Not surprising the Brigade is trying to have it both ways, it was Caserio's decision to make and Caserio's alone, until it wasn't and then it became, a we decision instead of Caserio's. Keep Calm and Drink MORE Kool Aid! :)

Lovie was hired because he was conveniently already here, and he's black. Not to mention he's a good coach besides the other qualifications. Off hand, without seeing his work yet, I'd say it was a good choice. At least he's head coached a SB which is more than you can say about some of the others in the list.

Reporters rely on people like Amy Palcic to leak information.

lol And that statement itself is pure conjecture and hearsay. :shoot:

Lovie was hired because he was conveniently already here, and he's black. Not to mention he's a good coach besides the other qualifications. Off hand, without seeing his work yet, I'd say it was a good choice. At least he's head coached a SB which is more than you can say about some of the others in the list.

Now wait a dern minute. Bringing logic and reason into this place is just trolling folks. :texansam:

First people were complaining that NC won’t let head coaches hire their staff. Culley never did it before but is responsible for hiring Lovie. NC admitted he never really knew Lovie until he was hired. NC just didn’t have a light come on and he hired a college coach for d coord that he didn’t know and out of the blue. And I’m not sure Pep wasn’t a DC hire. They sure knew each other. I don’t know about any of the others unless he was trying to lock them up before they went elsewhere. Now NC is letting Lovie assemble his staff and people are complaining about that too. NC and Lovie have both stated that hiring coaches who have worked together before will make a huge difference going into TC. I guess people will probably gripe now that we should not rush the rebuild and only hire the “ up and comers” that is frequently mentioned around here as if that is some kind of sacrosanct criteria for hiring coaches.

I do. So you think NC talks to the candidates in a vacuum, lol. NC very obviously had a group of coaches that did a good job last year and wanted to keep on the staff to speed the conversion to a new HC. You don’t think he didn’t talk to some of these coaches himself? Its not a secret that Pep was told something early on about a move to OC since he declined similar interviews elsewhere. The intimacy between Lovie, Pep and many of these coaches makes it not unusual to say we as a courtesy and especially when he informed Cal with his decision…or do you think he was going to hire Lovie without a courtesy call to his boss. All Cal would have to say is then Get it done, good job and I agree…That’s all.

I don't think Caserio would want to hire a 63 yr old HC after hiring a 65 yr old Culley. If this was truly Caserio's pick them this franchise is so screwed. So I hope you are wrong.

First people were complaining that NC won’t let head coaches hire their staff. Culley never did it before but is responsible for hiring Lovie. NC admitted he never really knew Lovie until he was hired. NC just didn’t have a light come on and he hired a college coach for d coord that he didn’t know and out of the blue. And I’m not sure Pep wasn’t a DC hire. They sure knew each other. I don’t know about any of the others unless he was trying to lock them up before they went elsewhere. Now NC is letting Lovie assemble his staff and people are complaining about that too. NC and Lovie have both stated that hiring coaches who have worked together before will make a huge difference going into TC. I guess people will probably gripe now that we should not rush the rebuild and only hire the “ up and comers” that is frequently mentioned around here as if that is some kind of sacrosanct criteria for hiring coaches.

I didn't complain about Caserio hiring Culley's staff and yes I wanted an up and coming young HC. This reeks of an 85 year old woman choice. Safe. You can't win by playing it safe. It's why I don't think Lovie was a Caserio pick.

There is it. That is called making an emotional decision.

Emotional decisions never end well.

My x-wife, wife, girlfriend and I can attest to that.

Nothing about giving them 2 DECADES to learn and change is emotional. At some point you've gotta realize that things are the way they are and they aren't going to change. That's called acceptance and acceptance is an emotional decision. It's a well thought out decision based on past history.

What if he gets the team close, then Sean Payton comes in to take the team to the Promised Land?

What if I win the lottery?

Both things are about as likely to happen. When is the last time the Texans have spent big money hiring a proven HC?

I thought Pep was nosing around for another gig until Lovie was named the new coach?
We knew he turned down Carolina & had an interview with one team. But overall, many here thought he was going to be our OC in 2022 when he was hired to be our QB coach in 2021.

Well, at least Lovie is better than what they had and is better than where they were headed or trying to go.

We were pretty sure Pep was going to be the new OC before Lovie was named
We knew he turned down Carolina & had an interview with one team. But overall, many here thought he was going to be our OC in 2022 when he was hired to be our QB coach in 2021.
Not so fast my friend. You may have known but me and a few others, not so much. My understanding, according to David Culley before he got fired is Tim Kelly would be back as the OC. So, Pep was not a given. After Culley was fired the hunt for a new HC was on and nobody knew, all bets were off. IIRC Pep was interviewing with 4 teams, Carolina, Jags, Seattle, Bears. It was only after Lovie was hired and Lovie hired Pep did Pep become a sure thing as the Texans OC.

Not so fast my friend. You may have known but me and a few others, not so much. My understanding, according to David Culley before he got fired is Tim Kelly would be back as the OC. So, Pep was not a given. After Culley was fired the hunt for a new HC was on and nobody knew, all bets were off. IIRC Pep was interviewing with 4 teams, Carolina, Jags, Seattle, Bears. It was only after Lovie was hired and Lovie hired Pep did Pep become a sure thing as the Texans OC.

Culley was fired because he would not fire Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly was in place to appease Watson. When he was expendable he was to be fired but Culley said he wouldn’t fire him. Pep was already in the works to OC. Culley then was fired and Pep only interviewed with the Bears while turning down everyone else.

The whole HC search started because of Culley not firing Kelly. You easily assume a lot. So it would be easy for you to assume Pep was already in line to take the job.

Agreed, I'm going to root for Lovie to bring a championship to Kirby. Although it's highly unlikely to happen. Safe choices don't win SB's.
My optimism for the Texans died the day Bob McNair fired Gary Kubiak. My optimism was reborn the day they hired Lovie Smith as HC. My optimism today is not derived from dreams of a Super Bowl anytime soon. My optimism is derived from the fact that the Texans are no longer staring into the abyss.

FTR I have never complained about Lovie hiring his own staff. In fact, I have celebrated it. I made note of it to illustrate that hiring Lovie was not going to be a David Culley 2.0. And that Lovie was in charge of his football team and not Nick Caserio. It was a clear sign that Lovie was now the boss.

BTW I don't think anyone is calling Nick a liar. A spin doctor yes, a liar, no. The Brigade is saying some folks are calling Nick a liar. No, I disagree, I think a few people are just pointing out that Nick is not really saying what some in the Brigade think he is saying.

Last edited:
Culley was fired because he would not fire Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly was in place to appease Watson. When he was expendable he was to be fired but Culley said he wouldn’t fire him. Pep was already in the works to OC. Culley then was fired and Pep only interviewed with the Bears while turning down everyone else.

The whole HC search started because of Culley not firing Kelly. You easily assume a lot. So it would be easy for you to assume Pep was already in line to take the job.
They fooled you too, I see. Brian Flores, the Dolphins HC and a longtime New England associate of Nick Caserio was fired unexpectedly, and David Culley was fired less than 72 hours later after Flores was fired. The old Culley wanted Kelly back excuse and ruse is why he was fired fooled a lot of Kool Aid drinkers.

Dear Lord, please start the football season early this year so that the most irrational human beings on earth (sports fans) can stop over analyzing/complaining about everything under the sun & start focusing on moving forward. The new GM has cleared a lot of cap space for acquiring free agents, the Texans have a full bevy of draft picks this year & with the #3 pick, they are in a great position to trade down & pick up some more picks. They have a stud QB that is going to be traded for a multitude of draft picks once the legal issues are resolved to the new team's satisfaction & they just hired a new head coach that has some pretty good credentials that includes a Superbowl. The Texans have never had that successful a head coach in their entire history & in my opinion, it really doesn't matter who hired him. He's our coach now. He showed last year that he's still a great coach when he took a boatload of unwanted free agent players signed to one year contracts & fielded a defense that got better as the season went on. I'm really excited about the future of the Texans in our second year of rebuilding & can't wait to see what Nick Caserio will do in his second draft & free agency period. I realize you may be extra busy right now Lord, but if you can find a spare moment, could you fast forward the clock to the start of training camp? Thank you from one of your favorite sports fans.

Not so fast my friend. You may have known but me and a few others, not so much.
Yeah, I didn't say all.

But there were many here, obviously not you, who thought Kelly was being retained only because Watson said he liked him.

& bringing Pep in was the safety net. Culley was a placeholder & Nick had a long-term plan.

So they thought

Back