Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Who has proven diddly squat? One aging vet on defense I'd consider proven. Woods is declining rapidly, but I'll even give you that one. Both are aged guys that won't be here long.

My Cowboys fan friend just texted me laughing at us signing their WR that isn't worth two wooden nickels.

He's like I'm just glad he's gone, he can't play. I can't believe your GM is spending his first days signing guys like that. What's wrong with him?

Ya, no **** sherlock! I have no idea, other than as usual he is getting outworked and should be embarrassed at this "haul".

I'll remind you guys - 3rd most cap space in the NFL. He is not in handcuffs anymore and this is the crap he is slinging to us fans?

Who has proven diddly squat? One aging vet on defense I'd consider proven. Woods is declining rapidly, but I'll even give you that one. Both are aged guys that won't be here long.

My Cowboys fan friend just texted me laughing at us signing their WR that isn't worth two wooden nickels.

He's like I'm just glad he's gone, he can't play. I can't believe your GM is spending his first days signing guys like that. What's wrong with him?

Ya, no **** sherlock! I have no idea, other than as usual he is getting outworked and should be embarrassed at this "haul".

I'll remind you guys - 3rd most cap space in the NFL. He is not in handcuffs anymore and this is the crap he is slinging to us fans?
He told you exactly how he was going to handle FA. Why are you acting so surprised?

Your big gripe is signing a depth WR to a 2mil deal?

Idk after the last 24 hours of signings I think it was fine. We upgraded 2-4 positions, it’s clear we’re not at the point in rebuilding where we’re building through free agency.

Ground control to Major Tom…my god man calm down. You’re reacting to every signing like there was a ton of talent out there to add in the 1st place….and like it’s as simple as NC going out there and clubbing these guys over the head and dragging them back to Houston like a damn caveman.

We hear this type of crap almost every year. Last year it was Colts & Bills fans laughing b/c we signed the old, aging past-his-prime Jerry Hughes..well Colts fans weren’t laughing after the 1st game and he responded by putting up the most sacks he’s put up in nearly 10 years as a situational pass rusher instead of an everyday guy.

Steven Nelson, while not a “stud” has been a solid starter for this team for a “dollar store” signing

Chris Moore another solid contributor as an older veteran that was a scrap heap signing.

And im not sure how u feel about Shaq Mason and Jimmie Ward, but both guys largely project to be upgrades as older vets. Should we not consider bringing them in b/c they’re older aging vets?

The issue hasn’t been the signings themselves…The issue has been these guys being signed & placed into major contributing roles than they can’t really fill. Moore as a #5 WR/ST….cool. Moore as a #2-3 starting WR…no.

Shows you how bad this team actually is when these meh signings do actually improve the team.

they’re only meh signings b/c people don’t know them and/or they’re not the major names being thrown around & talked about. Doesn’t mean that at least a few of these guys being signed can’t have a huge impact or be a huge upgrade on this team.

Despite his production on 2 different teams the 2 years prior, Hassan Reddick was like the 3rd-4th name down on the list of available FA pass rushers last year behind Chandler Jones, Von Miller and even Zadarrius Smith. His impact on that Philly defense last year tho was crazy.

Ok I’ll bite. Who are you comparing to Reddick?

im not comparing anyone to Reddick..im comparing the potential greater than expected impact he brought when everyone else was expecting other more well known names to be those guys for other teams…& even on his own team.

But the Shaq Mason & Jimmie Ward signings could potentially have that greater than expected impact on this team. Mason’s not just coming to solidify the RG position and right side with Howard..He’ll likely have a huge impact on Green’s development on the other side as well.

Ironically..or perhaps not, the last 2 years have been career years for Ward as that “aging vet” & his signing brings another legitimate good talented starter in on the backend. He offers flexibility b/c he can play the slot…excelled there last year & That of course keeps guys like Tremon Smith and Desmond King on the bench and in their respective roles as ST. He’s also familiar with what Ryans is gonna want from his guys on the backend…Not to mention how he can help Sting and even Pitre develop.

Shows you how bad this team actually is when these meh signings do actually improve the team.

Exactly.

Why break the bank making a splash in free agency when a majority of the other positions are still terrible?

Build through the draft.

Caserio went from 1 year to 2 year contracts. The next two years this team will be filled with young players on their rookie deals.

Then break the bank for the one or two players you may need.

And sign your rookies to long term deals.

You can see a strategy.

Most underrated yet valuable traits of a winning culture is quality people making great depth across all positions so you can attack draft with best player available mentality. Really don’t give GM all credit, this change is directly linked more to DeMeco and Slowick.

Because you are new, I will take this time to bring you up to speed. Nick Caserio was Bill Belichick's step and fetch it. To be more precise he was a Belichick admin and facilitator. Caserio and all of the other failed Belichick admins and facilitators who have failed were never schooled in salary cap management, contracts, and being a GM. That's why they've all failed. The 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick according to Bob Kraft.

Caserio wakes up every morning smiling knowing he has a guaranteed $30MM in the bank.

The Texans had the first HC opening and were the last to fill. Caserio's first decision, David Culley.

One of the first things Caserio did as Texans GM was to create $25MM in DEAD MONEY.

The result of taking a hatchet to the roster without thinking it through created not having enough money to fill out the 2021 roster.

In order to create enough money (restructuring every contract that could be restructured) Caserio had to borrow over $30MM from 2022 and 2023 to sign enough players to complete the 2021 roster.

He compounded the money mismanagement by signing players like David Johnson to $5MM contract.

In order to sign enough players, Caserio had to sign players at the end of their careers (looking for another NFL paycheck) to 1 and 2 year contracts to have enough money for a 53 man roster.

In essence he shuffled the chairs on the Titanic and it cost him $55MM to do it. $25MM in dead money and $30MM in restructuring.

In the process of all of this Caserio used draft picks to trade for four players that were cut. Players who would've been cut by the previous teams.

He started the draft with 8 picks and used an additional 2 picks from 2022 to draft 5 players.

As a result of Caserio's 2021 decisions, he has also created $8MM in Dead Money in 2022. The 2022 salary cap is also $12MM less from 2021 restructuring. When you factor in additional dead money needed to trade Watson, cut Cunningham and Mercilus that's another $36MM subtracted from 2022 cap.

The 2022 salary cap begins with $56MM less than the full amount because of Caserio decisions.

The 2022 roster begins with 25 signed players. The projected Texans salary cap space to begin 2022 is $12MM. That's $12MM to sign 28 players to fill a 53 man roster.

Now I ask you, what makes you think that Caserio will be any different in 2022 than he was in 2021 when Nick has already said they plan to stay the course and keep doing what they have been doing?

IMO I think you can expect more of the same. Nick being Nick. Filling the 2022 roster will be more difficult and more expensive than the 2021 roster.

Texans started 2021 season with 54 contracts and $6MM OVER the cap.

If the Texans had made the following moves they would've been $48MM UNDER the cap. They would not of had to resort to mortgaging the future to the tune of OVER $35MM in contract restructuring, $37MM in Dead Cap in 2021 and would've added a 2nd rd draft pick.
B. McKinneyRelease$7.00m
D. JohnsonRelease$6.90m
Z. FultonRelease$3.00m
Du. JohnsonRelease$5.15m
B. DunnRelease$3.25m
B. CooksTrade$12.00m
J. WattRelease$17.50m
Total Saved$54.80m
I do not hate Nick Caserio but I don't have much respect for the job he is doing as the GM of the Houston Texans.
Yeah I’m not sure what gave you the idea that I wanted your thesis and I’m also not really a fan of how condescending you seem to be

Yeah I’m not sure what gave you the idea that I wanted your thesis and I’m also not really a fan of how condescending you seem to be
Sorry buddy, but get used to it. You'll see this same "What I would have done with the salary cap" post about 10 times a month. I wish a mod would just make it a sticky so we would have to stop reading the same drivel over, and over, and over...

And here I thought I was helping you out and doing you a BIG favor by getting you up to speed. If you don't want Snark don't do snark. Condescension is a kind of look-in-mirror kind of thing.

Sorry buddy, but get used to it. You'll see this same "What I would have done with the salary cap" post about 10 times a month. I wish a mod would just make it a sticky so we would have to stop reading the same drivel over, and over, and over...
Using the ignore button would be so much easier.

Some people seem to forget there were other ways to address the salary cap in Caserio's situation. So I think it's nice to get a reminder from time to time.

I get your point. But I get tired of hearing "Caserio fixed the cap." again & again & again. It's ridiculous. We've got no "star" players to speak of & only $32M to spend. That's good money, if you're two or three players away. With this roster we should be well over $70M.

I understand the situation the Texans were in. So... yeah, I'll give Caserio another year. If we're not close to $70M with a roster very similar to what we have now... you can't argue he's doing a good job. You just can't.

Some people seem to forget there were other ways to address the salary cap in Caserio's situation. So I think it's nice to get a reminder from time to time.

I get your point. But I get tired of hearing "Caserio fixed the cap." again & again & again. It's ridiculous. We've got no "star" players to speak of & only $32M to spend. That's good money, if you're two or three players away. With this roster we should be well over $70M.

I understand the situation the Texans were in. So... yeah, I'll give Caserio another year. If we're not close to $70M with a roster very similar to what we have now... you can't argue he's doing a good job. You just can't.
I understand. However we have seen Texian's post with his little spreadsheet at least 25 times by now. It get a little old.

Cue the “now you are in the Kool aid brigade” post. It happens when you disagree with him. About anything.
It's not really about disagreement as it is the please blow smoke up my hiney while waving pom poms crowd hating what has been said.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
And here I thought I was helping you out and doing you a BIG favor by getting you up to speed. If you don't want Snark don't do snark. Condescension is a kind of look-in-mirror kind of thing.

Using the ignore button would be so much easier.
Fair but I once got this advice from my that may be helpful to you. He told me “If you don’t like being made fun of don’t say dumb things”

Your “Kool Aid math” statement was dumb in light of the fact that you had just finished making up your own type of math and I called you on it. So in response you decided to write up a short story about the cap? Makes no sense

I'm guessing this is you saying this? or link?

The roster lacked talent due in large part to the fact that the team hasn’t drafted well in recent years.
In a Wednesday conference call with reporters, owner Robert Kraft acknowledged that reality.
“Really, the teams who draft well are the ones who will be consistently good,” Kraft said, based on a transcript provided by the team. “I don’t feel like we’ve done the greatest job the last few years and I really hope and believe I’ve seen a different approach this year. (Hired Eliot Wolf as a consultant)

Last edited:
Texian may be the only person alive to claim swapping 3000 pts for 1350 pts a win
DJ Moores draft value was 740 pts and Carolina had offered a 2025 1st rd but GM Ryan Poles insisted on Moore. And if the GM wants Moore in lieu of 1st RD pick that is good enough for me. If the shoe was on the other foot, you can bet your bottom dollar the Brigade would be counting Moore as a 1st RD.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JB
DJ Moores draft value was 740 pts and Carolina had offered a 2025 1st rd but GM Ryan Poles insisted on Moore. And if the GM considers Moore as 1st RD pick that is good enough for me. If the shoe was on the other foot, you can bet your bottom dollar the Brigade would be counting Moore as a 1st RD.
You always manage to come up with some sort of bs trying to justify your position... it may take a day or so, but never fails

The roster lacked talent due in large part to the fact that the team hasn’t drafted well in recent years.
In a Wednesday conference call with reporters, owner Robert Kraft acknowledged that reality.
“Really, the teams who draft well are the ones who will be consistently good,” Kraft said, based on a transcript provided by the team. “I don’t feel like we’ve done the greatest job the last few years and I really hope and believe I’ve seen a different approach this year. (Hired Eliot Wolf as a consultant)

You are only talking about part of the problem.

The cause of drafting poorly was Belicheck consolidating the decision making for drafting. Scouts left and complained.

Since Kraft’s comments the draft process has opened back to the scouts giving their opinions.

And you aren’t talking about how Eliot Wolf has been passed up time and time again for people who have less experience. He has interviewed for a number of jobs and not hired. There is something there. He isn’t a leader.

You always manage to come up with some sort of bs trying to justify your position... it may take a day or so, but never fails
You're confusing me with the GM of the Chicago Bears, Ryan Poles. And you result to insults when it gets too hot in the kitchen for you, it never fails. It may take a day or two because I have you on ignore and occasionally I may accidentally catch your discontent.

You are only talking about part of the problem.

The cause of drafting poorly was Belicheck consolidating the decision making for drafting. Scouts left and complained.

Since Kraft’s comments the draft process has opened back to the scouts giving their opinions.

And you aren’t talking about how Eliot Wolf has been passed up time and time again for people who have less experience. He has interviewed for a number of jobs and not hired. There is something there. He isn’t a leader.
No, I was specifically talking about what Kraft said about the Patriots' drafts the last few years Caserio was responsible for setting them up. Anything other than that is your interpretation. Please, I wish you would just try to get it right and stop putting words in my mouth and keep my wife's name out of your F'ing mouth.

No, I was specifically talking about what Kraft said about the Patriots' drafts the last few years Caserio was responsible for setting them up. Anything other than that is your interpretation. Please, I wish you would just try to get it right and stop putting words in my mouth and keep my wife's name out of your F'ing mouth.

If your wife wasn’t having sex with your son’s friend and then telling you about it on TV no one would be talking about it.

It’s not my interpretation. It is facts. Caserio wasn’t GM. Belicheck was.

What you said:
The 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick according to Bob Kraft.

That is not at all what the article said.

The author of the story said:
That’s an obvious slap at coach Bill Belichick, who runs the football operations. It’s also an indictment of his primary table-setter since 2009, Nick Caserio — who’s now the G.M. of the Texans.

It wasn't Kraft who said it. The writer said it. Also no mention of Caserio being responsible for drafting bad for 10 years. If anyone thinks anyone but Belichick made the draft picks, they're crazy. And if Caserio steered him wrong once, that would have been the end of that.
Dude you can't just make stuff up, you lose all your credibility. Kraft never ONCE mentioned Caserio's name, not once. It was the author of the story. So you can't say that "Kraft said Caserio didn't do a good job the last 10 years", he didn't say that. Kraft said the TEAM hadnt done a good job drafting the last FEW years. Not 10 years and not Caserio!
Kraft didn't mention Caserio as you said, The author did. The Author threw Belichick under the bus and said it was an inditement on Caserio too. Kraft did not say that. A writer trying to sell his story said it.
Dude, you can't just make $hit up and throw it out there and hope it sticks. There should be a rule on these forums about people purposely doing that. Everyone knows you have nothing positive to say about the team, and you eccentuate your lack of credibility when you make up stories to suit your negative agenda.

Last edited:
If your wife wasn’t having sex with your son’s friend and then telling you about it on TV no one would be talking about it.

It’s not my interpretation. It is facts. Caserio wasn’t GM. Belicheck was.

It takes some extreme mental gymnastics for him to describe Caserio as an inept file clerk in most of his posts, then argue that Caserio was the mastermind pulling the strings behind Belichick in other posts.

What you said:
The 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick according to Bob Kraft.

That is not at all what the article said.

The author of the story said:
That’s an obvious slap at coach Bill Belichick, who runs the football operations. It’s also an indictment of his primary table-setter since 2009, Nick Caserio — who’s now the G.M. of the Texans.

It wasn't Kraft who said it. The writer said it. Also no mention of Caserio being responsible for drafting bad for 10 years. If anyone thinks anyone but Belichick made the draft picks, they're crazy. And if Caserio steered him wrong once, that would have been the end of that.
Dude you can't just make stuff up, you lose all your credibility. Kraft never ONCE mentioned Caserio's name, not once. It was the author of the story. So you can't say that "Kraft said Caserio didn't do a good job the last 10 years", he didn't say that. Kraft said the TEAM hadnt done a good job drafting the last FEW years. Not 10 years and not Caserio!
Kraft didn't mention Caserio as you said, The author did. The Author threw Belichick under the bus and said it was an inditement on Caserio too. Kraft did not say that. A writer trying to sell his story said it.
Dude, you can't just make $hit up and throw it out there and hope it sticks. There should be a rule on these forums about people purposely doing that. Everyone knows you have nothing positive to say about the team, and you eccentuate your lack of credibility when you make up stories to suit your negative agenda.
Good grief, the lack of reading and comprehension is amazing. Carry on continuing to believe only what you want to believe.

It takes some extreme mental gymnastics for him to describe Caserio as an inept file clerk in most of his posts, then argue that Caserio was the mastermind pulling the strings behind Belichick in other posts.
I think the argument here is the inept file clerk was doing as bad a job in New England as he is doing in Houston. I find it somewhat unbelievable how The Brigade thinks that drafting Davis Mills, Derek Stingley and Kenyon Green is knocking it out of the park. One more draft like the other two and the inept file clerk is outta here.

Nick will get to spend the Watson bounty which doesn’t end until 2024. If he shits the bed sheets on these two drafts, and fails to sign anyone of note next year with the most cap space…ya than his head will probably roll. I’m not super happy with Nick, but I am willing to give him enough rope to hang himself…or he can use the same rope to climb out of of the hole he has helped dig. Time will tell.

I think the argument here is the inept file clerk was doing as bad a job in New England as he is doing in Houston. I find it somewhat unbelievable how The Brigade thinks that drafting Davis Mills, Derek Stingley and Kenyon Green is knocking it out of the park. One more draft like the other two and the inept file clerk is outta here.
You are really good at completely misunderstanding (or ignoring) the argument of the post you are replying to

Good grief, the lack of reading and comprehension is amazing. Carry on continuing to believe only what you want to believe.
I'm not believing what I want to believe, I'm processing what I'm reading from the article you put up as proof. I'm reading the actual words from the article. nowhere...NOWHERE does it say Kraft said "the 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick." Nowhere!
10 years isn't even mentioned! YOU added that.
No where does Kraft say Caserio screwed the pooch when it comes to the draft in N.E. YOU said that. YOU added that. It doesn't say that. Kraft never mentioned Caserio's name! Belichick was the GM, he had ultimate control.

Just because you say it doesn't make it true! Especially when the article you use to back it up doesn't come close to doing so.

You're the one with the acute reading comprehension problems, you'd fit right in with the local DNC if you ever needed a side job!

Fair but I once got this advice from my that may be helpful to you. He told me “If you don’t like being made fun of don’t say dumb things”

Your “Kool Aid math” statement was dumb in light of the fact that you had just finished making up your own type of math and I called you on it. So in response you decided to write up a short story about the cap? Makes no sense
Lol, I called him on a math error before and the butt covering was worse than the error. I don’t disagree with everything he says but the buffoonery destroys credibility every time it blows.

I would never put you on ignore, mainly because when you're not on your Caserio fetish, you have good opinions. And when you are, it is highly entertaining mental gymnastics.

I agree he has good opinions at times.

Even though we may not agree with at all times, it is good to have a contrasting opinion so that we aren’t in an echo chamber.

We keep hearing how Caserio caters to the Head coach when it comes to signing players, and then the haters want to run him off for the struggling draftees.:smiliepalm:

Some dumb logic right there...:crazy:

I'm on the wait and see list when it comes to DeMeco as head coach. He is supposedly in Caserios ear on the draft.

Gonna be an amusing draft day on TT..:D

:coffee: :popcorn:

We keep hearing how Caserio caters to the Head coach when it comes to signing players, and then the haters want to run him off for the struggling draftees.:smiliepalm:

Some dumb logic right there...:crazy:

I'm on the wait and see list when it comes to DeMeco as head coach. He is supposedly in Caserios ear on the draft.

Gonna be an amusing draft day on TT..:D

:coffee: :popcorn:
At some point the facilitator will be held accountable for making other people's mistakes.

I'm not believing what I want to believe, I'm processing what I'm reading from the article you put up as proof. I'm reading the actual words from the article. nowhere...NOWHERE does it say Kraft said "the 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick." Nowhere!
10 years isn't even mentioned! YOU added that.
No where does Kraft say Caserio screwed the pooch when it comes to the draft in N.E. YOU said that. YOU added that. It doesn't say that. Kraft never mentioned Caserio's name! Belichick was the GM, he had ultimate control.

Just because you say it doesn't make it true! Especially when the article you use to back it up doesn't come close to doing so.

You're the one with the acute reading comprehension problems, you'd fit right in with the local DNC if you ever needed a side job!
Kraft said, last few years. I said, last 10 years because that is how long Caserio had been the table setter. For all you know Kraft could've been talking about the last 10 years. Also additional research does show that the Pats drafts going back 10 years were disappointing. It's a case of connecting the dots. Maybe a course in Connecting the Dots 101 and Research 101 is in order for you. Do you have a Google? :)

Kraft said, last few years. I said, last 10 years because that is how long Caserio had been the table setter. For all you know Kraft could've been talking about the last 10 years. Also additional research does show that the Pats drafts going back 10 years were disappointing. It's a case of connecting the dots. Maybe a course in Connecting the Dots 101 and Research 101 is in order for you. Do you have a Google? :)
Kraft didn't mention Belichick or Caserio when he said the last few years. And Kraft said he didn't feel like they'd done the greatest job the last few years. He didn't say they sucked, or they failed, he said it wasn't the greatest job, probably meant an adequate job as they did win the SB in '15, '17 and '19. I don't think you can indite anyone in any department when you win 3 SBs in 5 years.
But that's me connecting the dots with the job they did drafting the players and the 3 SBs they won in that period.
When someone is quoting for truth, I don't need them paraphrasing a quote to suit their agenda, rather simply supply the quote verbatim and allow me (or the reader) to dissect the quote as they see fit.

But you saying "The 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick according to Bob Kraft"....that's nowhere near what was said in the article.
He said a few years, not 10 years.
He said not the greatest, he didn't say the worst.
He said "we" didn't do the greatest job, he didn't say Bill and Nick.
End of story

Kraft didn't mention Belichick or Caserio when he said the last few years. And Kraft said he didn't feel like they'd done the greatest job the last few years. He didn't say they sucked, or they failed, he said it wasn't the greatest job, probably meant an adequate job as they did win the SB in '15, '17 and '19. I don't think you can indite anyone in any department when you win 3 SBs in 5 years.
But that's me connecting the dots with the job they did drafting the players and the 3 SBs they won in that period.
When someone is quoting for truth, I don't need them paraphrasing a quote to suit their agenda, rather simply supply the quote verbatim and allow me (or the reader) to dissect the quote as they see fit.

But you saying "The 10 years Caserio was setting the draft table for Belichick was the worst performing 10 years under Belichick according to Bob Kraft"....that's nowhere near what was said in the article.
End of story
You do love you some Caserio. Amazing just how far you will go to defend him.
The 15 best Patriots draft picks of the Bill Belichick era (boston.com)

Last edited:

End of story
You have a lot of patience. Lol

Back