Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - keeper or kerb?

Keeper or kerb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn't that make Cal less likely to go along with her?
😂

If Cal was making the calls you would be correct. Unfortunately Janice has the final voice and Hannah used this to her advantage. While things have improved the dysfunction is still there. This is why I keep saying nothing has changed down on Kirby. Don't believe this? Then why have we been having this same discussion for the last 2 decades?

Nick drafting injury risks high in the draft is 100% onpoint. This year, it’s really only Scruggs, and that was a non football injury. I am hoping that is the Ryans influence, but I will never get over passing the injury free Sauce over the injury riddled Stingley because of measurables. To me - that’s a huge strike on his record. Strike two is Kenyon Green. Stupid stupid pick on so many levels, including injury risk. Big strike two.

I’m at a D+ for Casserio tenure. Two extremely chaotic HC searches that made the Texans a laughingstock. failures in the draft, specifically the first and second rounds. Giving up draft capital to easily to move up for questionable picks. Questionable FA acquisitions along with their contract terms. He is a bottom 5 GM. It’s a well deserved title. If you ask me today…it’s Kerb.

I said he should get to spend the entire Watson bounty, so I guess give him through next year, but if he decided to take a one way ticket to splittsville, I wouldn’t shed a tear that’s for sure.

😂

If Cal was making the calls you would be correct. Unfortunately Janice has the final voice and Hannah used this to her advantage. While things have improved the dysfunction is still there. This is why I keep saying nothing has changed down on Kirby. Don't believe this? Then why have we been having this same discussion for the last 2 decades?
This doesn't address my comment. It's you just continuing to spout

Nick drafting injury risks high in the draft is 100% onpoint. This year, it’s really only Scruggs, and that was a non football injury. I am hoping that is the Ryans influence, but I will never get over passing the injury free Sauce over the injury riddled Stingley because of measurables. To me - that’s a huge strike on his record. Strike two is Kenyon Green. Stupid stupid pick on so many levels, including injury risk. Big strike two.
You can thank Lovie, Warhop for this. Caserio gets the players the HC wants. A refreshing change down on Kirby.

Just like the last draft, Caserio drafted Stroud because his boss told him too and he drafted WA because that's who Ryans wanted. Caserio s job is to get the players the coaches and in this case ownership wants and manage the cap, do contracts. If you don't like this setup then you're screwed as a fan.

I’m at a D+ for Casserio tenure. Two extremely chaotic HC searches that made the Texans a laughingstock. failures in the draft, specifically the first and second rounds. Giving up draft capital to easily to move up for questionable picks. Questionable FA acquisitions along with their contract terms. He is a bottom 5 GM. It’s a well deserved title. If you ask me today…it’s Kerb.

I said he should get to spend the entire Watson bounty, so I guess give him through next year, but if he decided to take a one way ticket to splittsville, I wouldn’t shed a tear that’s for sure.
Ownership hires the HC's, always have, always will.

Look I don't care if Caserio stays or goes, but it won't matter as long as ownership stays. I find it funny that we've finally got a GM, HC that appear to work well together and you want to fire the GM. SMH

This doesn't address my comment. It's you just continuing to spout
Spout?

Maybe you can make your comment more clear so that I can reply more clearly. Maybe you can't just accept that Janice is making the final calls and Hannah has her ear.

Spout?

Maybe you can make your comment more clear so that I can reply more clearly. Maybe you can't just accept that Janice is making the final calls and Hannah has her ear.
You said that Hannah convinced Cal & others to draft Stroud. Then you called him a cuckhold. If he is, wouldn't that make him less biddable?

You said that Hannah convinced Cal & others to draft Stroud. Then you called him a cuckhold. If he is, wouldn't that make him less biddable?
Hannah convinced Janice. Cal just sat back and watched the show. Somewhere a long the way in the show I'm sure Cal uttered the line yes momma, but who knows if he was talking to Janice or Hannah.

I thought Caserio gets the players Hannah wants. Unless Cal is disappointed then he gets the players Cal wants but only if Hannah convinces Momma that is the player Cal wants.

View attachment 12570

Well at least your inconsistency on this topic is very consistent, well done :clap:
Bottom line is Hannah wanted Stroud and talked Janice into agreeing with her, over what the football people wanted.

The shell game pic is appropriate though. The shell game has been being played for over 2 decades and counting, while the McNair's have made billions playing the game.

You can thank Lovie, Warhop for this. Caserio gets the players the HC wants. A refreshing change down on Kirby.

Just like the last draft, Caserio drafted Stroud because his boss told him too and he drafted WA because that's who Ryans wanted. Caserio s job is to get the players the coaches and in this case ownership wants and manage the cap, do contracts. If you don't like this setup then you're screwed as a fan.

Casserio doesn’t get a pass. There’s a role for the HC and a role for the GM. A GM who blindly listens to a HC shouldn’t have a job.

The GM isn’t a gofer. A GM is a general. A GM has to develop and execute short, medium, and long term strategies. A GM has to manage risk, understand and compensate for vulnerabilities, Know and understand that things don’t always go to plan, and to have contingencies.

A HC handles the X’s and O’s. Who to play, assistant coaches to hire, and yes what players are needed to execute his visions.

However, it’s up to the GM to relay to a coach if those players don’t align with the strategy and risk management plan in place. For some reason people think disagreement is bad, no disagreement is healthy, it provides balance, it keeps blind spots from developing, common weaknesses from being exacerbated, and it allows different strengths to be utilized.

Casserio can’t put his drafting record on the coaches particularly when the drafting fails involved high injury risk players getting injured or low character guys being low character. (Not saying this happened). it’s not like a HC doesn’t provide a list of players. The GM needs to step in when the player doesn’t fit the risk management and and long term strategy, explain why, and then go to the next player on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casserio doesn’t get a pass. There’s a role for the HC and a role for the GM. A GM who blindly listens to a HC shouldn’t have a job.

The GM isn’t a gofer. A GM is a general. A GM has to develop and execute short, medium, and long term strategies. A GM has to manage risk, understand and compensate for vulnerabilities, Know and understand that things don’t always go to plan, and to have contingencies.

A HC handles the X’s and O’s. Who to play, assistant coaches to hire, and yes what players are needed to execute his visions.

However, it’s up to the GM to relay to a coach if those players don’t align with the strategy and risk management plan in place. For some reason people think disagreement is bad, no disagreement is healthy, it provides balance, it keeps blind spots from developing, common weaknesses from being exacerbated, and it allows different strengths to be utilized.

Casserio can’t put his drafting record on the coaches particularly when the drafting fails involved high injury risk players getting injured or low character guys being low character. (Not saying this happened). it’s not like a HC doesn’t provide a list of players. The GM needs to step in when the player doesn’t fit the risk management and and long term strategy, explain why, and then go to the next player on the list.

You just perfectly described what a functional orgs GM should be doing

Not the McNair's boardroom type of leadership. Mamma and Hannah are making the final calls now and everything is geared towards marketing. This is Hannah's background and she's doing a fine job. Look at how the perception of the McNair's has changed on this MB, vs what's really changed within the Texans org.

You just perfectly described what a functional orgs GM should be doing

Not the McNair's boardroom type of leadership. Mamma and Hannah are making the final calls now and everything is geared towards marketing. This is Hannah's background and she's doing a fine job. Look at how the perception of the McNair's has changed on this MB, vs what's really changed within the Texans org.

It’s amazing really, I’ve seen the huge difference on Reddit. People love the McNairs! The ownership of this team is the biggest impediment to its success. They’ve have built the opposite of a winning culture, it’s a culture of CYA, escaping accountability by blaming others, and rewarding mediocrity and unstable behavior with more power. Since the Old Man’s passing, it’s really really reached a new level of dysfunction and chaos.

I am with you on taking Stingley over Sauce. That was stupid but I am willing to believe that was Lovie. Green was stupid also but I am willing to believe that was for Warhop. Nick just doing what he was told.

It's time for stupid draft decisions to stop. I think they have.

It’s amazing really, I’ve seen the huge difference on Reddit. People love the McNairs! The ownership of this team is the biggest impediment to its success. They’ve have built the opposite of a winning culture, it’s a culture of CYA, escaping accountability by blaming others, and rewarding mediocrity and unstable behavior with more power. Since the Old Man’s passing, it’s really really reached a new level of dysfunction and chaos.

Can you give me a link to the Texans on Reddit?

Certainly a HC that GM knows won't be around for the long haul. Like Lovie. A HC that will be here long term deserves input. Like DeMeco.

Every coach deserves input, but the GM isn’t a slave to it, they both should have some level of a veto, such that they both own each pick made because they have found a guy they both agree

I am with you on taking Stingley over Sauce. That was stupid but I am willing to believe that was Lovie. Green was stupid also but I am willing to believe that was for Warhop. Nick just doing what he was told.

It’s not Lovie, it’s Lovie and Nick, it’s not Warhop it’s Nick and Warhop. I don’t care how much Lovie was over the moon for Stingley. A GM needs to step in and say his injury history is too much and who is the next guy in your list.

Last edited:
It’s not Lovie, it’s Lovie and Nick, it’s not Warhop it’s Lovie and Warhop. I don’t care how much Lovie was over the moon for Stingley. A GM needs to step in and say his injury history is too much and who is the next guy in your list.

But you are assuming that Caserio was allowed to be the type of general manager you described. He might not have been. He is used to Belichick telling him what do to and owner signing off.

But you are assuming that Caserio was allowed to be the type of general manager you described. He might not have been. He is used to Belichick telling him what do to and owner signing off.

Well if Casserio is a lemming, then he shouldn’t be a GM. If he doesn’t have some conviction and persuasion to build consensus around against a risky decision made by a lame duck coach, he has no business being a GM

Well if Casserio is a lemming, then he shouldn’t be a GM. If he doesn’t have some conviction and persuasion to build consensus around against a risky decision made by a lame duck coach, he has no business being a GM

Yet he is and has been. Same can be said in a similar aspect with the ownership. As fans, we watch under these known conditions..
Or we move on.

Most of us are still here. The closest I came to leaving was the Culley year.

Agreed, but when has a Texan GM had full authority. Caserio isn't the first GM or last GM that the McNair's have put in this position. The next GM after Caserio will have the same issues as Caserio has had. The GM just runs cover for the McNair's market scheme.

Yet he is and has been. Same can be said in a similar aspect with the ownership. As fans, we watch under these known conditions..
Or we move on.

Most of us are still here. The closest I came to leaving was the Culley year.
Yes, but as fans we can choose not to go to the games or buy merchandise.

Bottom line is Hannah wanted Stroud and talked Janice into agreeing with her, over what the football people wanted.

The shell game pic is appropriate though. The shell game has been being played for over 2 decades and counting, while the McNair's have made billions playing the game.
Why did Hannah like Stroud more than say Richardson, Levis or Hooker?

If Caserio was handicapped like @steelbtexan suggest, he could quit and go back to NE like most of those other guys tend to do. There is no way you could get me to believe Hannah or Janice told Caserio and Ryans to draft Stroud. Logic, suggested that even the year before, these were going to be the top 2 highest rated qbs and 2 of the highest rated players in the draft period. When you have the chance to draft them, you do it. The year Giants,Chargers,and Steelers drafted their qbs in 04, they had established qb's on the roster. I mean Drew Brees was the 1st 2nd rd pick, but was still trying to get it together. Giants had Kurt Warner and Steelers who always thought of the qb as an accessory vs a need had Tommy Maddox. Yet, they all made moves and drafted qbs, one from Miami of Ohio.

Why would Lovie want a guy wuy who best trait was man on man over a guy who could do both? If all Nick is going to do is draft whom the position coaches suggest, then what is his purpose? Draft boards are horizontal and vertical. Their intentions are to meet on an axis for a player. Let's say Warhop and Lovie wanted to build the trenches like most on the board always try to direct the team to do with that 2nd, 1st rd pick, what on tape made Warhop chose Green over Williams?

If Caserio was handicapped like @steelbtexan suggest, he could quit and go back to NE like most of those other guys tend to do. There is no way you could get me to believe Hannah or Janice told Caserio and Ryans to draft Stroud. Logic, suggested that even the year before, these were going to be the top 2 highest rated qbs and 2 of the highest rated players in the draft period. When you have the chance to draft them, you do it. The year Giants,Chargers,and Steelers drafted their qbs in 04, they had established qb's on the roster. I mean Drew Brees was the 1st 2nd rd pick, but was still trying to get it together. Giants had Kurt Warner and Steelers who always thought of the qb as an accessory vs a need had Tommy Maddox. Yet, they all made moves and drafted qbs, one from Miami of Ohio.
Nick could quit but why?

Why would Lovie want a guy wuy who best trait was man on man over a guy who could do both? If all Nick is going to do is draft whom the position coaches suggest, then what is his purpose? Draft boards are horizontal and vertical. Their intentions are to meet on an axis for a player. Let's say Warhop and Lovie wanted to build the trenches like most on the board always try to direct the team to do with that 2nd, 1st rd pick, what on tape made Warhop chose Green over Williams?
You and others keep talking about relationship GM and a HC should have. I'm talking about what we have. 2019 Stingley pre-injury I agree but that is not what we've seen. Will he be improved? All should hope so.

Bottom line for me is Caserio has had time now to turn the Texans around.

The fans have suffered through some serious nonsense.

We should be in contention for a wild card, late in the season, as a barometer of progress.

Otherwise, he gets his jotters.

If what is being said on this board is true of the Ownership/GM/HC relationship, there will always be major headwinds if the goal is to be a true SB contender. A functioning organization needs alignment of GOALs, diversity of thought, defined roles and hierarchy, accountability, and an OPEN(in the organization) defined decision making and execution process. If ownership is micromanaging from 30,000 feet while installing a pliable or handcuffed GM, it won’t work. I use the word culture to encompass all those above. We focus on the top, but there are many people in between ie front office, scouts, coaches etc. if you have created a culture lacking those people who actually do the majority of the work aren’t gonna wanna stay and you will lose the best people who have options. Your left with people who are elevated to positions above their abilities and experience because it’s hard to bring in good people into a dysfunctional situation and that cascades down.

Last edited:
Caserio is just riding this thing out. Remember when he alluded to quitting before Ryans was hired. He's got 36 million reasons to not quit. Well I guess he's down to 18 million reasons these days. Would you leave this kind of money on the table?

Back