Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFLdraftCountdown.com 2/2/05 mock draft.

Blake

MMQB
1. Marcus Spears DE LSU
marcusspears.jpg

*Right now the best value on the board is along the defensive line and Spears would be an excellent fit for them.
2. Ernest Shazor S Michigan
shazor.jpg

*A big, athletic playmaker and possibly the last piece to the Texans secondary puzzle.

It has us passing on:
1st round:
Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami (FL)
Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas
Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
2nd round:
Elton Brown, OG, Virginia

**Note: Mike Nugent in the 2nd to the Falcons at #59

Link

yeah, I have liked Spears a ton, but I don't know if I would pas D. Johnson for him.

BTW, those comments are from the website. My personal opinion on both of those picks arent good.

I like DJ, Rolle, and Brown over Spears in the 1st. And I like Brown over Shazor in the 2nd. I would like to give Earl another year. JMO

:rofl: The Countdown has the Chargers taking Brodney Poole with the 22nd pick in the 1st, while Ourlads has him being taken by the Texans in the 3rd.

:crazy:

I wouldn't mind the Spears pick since his stock has risen alot due to his preformance at the senior bowl. Shazor would be a good pick if Earl didn't play so well, but most people look at his stats and see a need for an upgrade. And for the Chargers pick, can you name one of their safeties without looking at their roster?

F-minus67 said:
And for the Chargers pick, can you name one of their safeties without looking at their roster?

No. But my point is the rediculously wide degree of value of players by the different mocks.

F-minus67 said:
And for the Chargers pick, can you name one of their safeties without looking at their roster?
Terrence Kiel is the SS, Jerry Wilson (Texan Killer) is the FS. I've heard the Chargers are looking to replace Wilson.

I think throughout most of the season Spears stock was around #13 in the middle of the first then there was some buzz about an injury that supposedly dropped him some, and people were hoping it would cause him to fall out of the first (but apparently this injury was overblown as he played relatively soon after and at a high level).

I just want to ask this, I know DJ is an outstanding player but for him would there be much of a dropoff between playing in a 4-3 and a 3-4? Would he have trouble in our 3-4 as opposed to playing in another teams 4-3? Just questions I'd like answered before jumping on the bandwagon.

I think both would be great picks though at 13

I wouldn't have any heartburn about us snapping up DJ if he is available in our slot. That being said I believe that his natural position in the NFL would be weak-side OLB in a 4-3. His athleticism and playmaking ability would be best used in the open space on the backside. I think he would be a very good pick for us as a ILB, but the biggest knock on him is his ability to play in heavy traffic and shedding blocks...which are the prime skills for a 3-4 ILB.

on the other hand, DJ was primarily used in coverage at UT and in our scheme it seems as though that ILB is in coverage alot. I think DJ would be a good fit because he can cover receivers with no sweat.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
I agree with the S pick, but our #1 pick has to be a guy who can complement the weapons we already have. NT= Seth Payne! Drafting a NT can only be a back up come opening day.

I'm sorry, but if we drafted Spears he would not be playing nose tackle :dontknowa

Spears would take over at the left defensive end spot, which is a huge void on the defensive side of the ball because Gary Walker's productivity has dropped greatly and he is there just taking up space for now. Walker was the only one on the D-line not contributing at all to the team :thumbdown

Spears is suited to play DE in a 3-4 scheme, but if he plays in a 4-3 scheme he would be moved to tackle because he does not speed rush that good from the end position.

Spears would be what Richard Seymour is to the Patriots, but the good thing is he would be playing for the Texans!!

LikeABoss said:
Spears would take over at the left defensive end spot, which is a huge void on the defensive side of the ball because Gary Walker's productivity has dropped greatly and he is there just taking up space for now. Walker was the only one on the D-line not contributing at all to the team

Walker isnt going anywhere. He is getting roughly 3 mil this year, so hes not a bad value. Just hope he brings his game back up.

IF we did take spears, he would be put in at a rotation. Not a starter.

The only way he becomes a starter is if we dont re-sign Payne, and move Smith to NT. Which is a looooong shot.

Walker isnt going anywhere. He is getting roughly 3 mil this year, so hes not a bad value. Just hope he brings his game back up.

IF we did take spears, he would be put in at a rotation. Not a starter.

The only way he becomes a starter is if we dont re-sign Payne, and move Smith to NT. Which is a looooong shot.

Whoever said anything about getting rid of Walker???

Walker delievered the least production on the D-line this past season, so thats where our problem begins on the D-line and Spears is the key to bringing productivity back to the LDE positon while Payne can be re-signed for cheap (and do you actually think some other team is gonna actually offer Payne a huge contract in free agency???? :um: ) :dontknowa

A young rookie can beat out a high priced overpaid veteran no matter how big the veterans contract is. If Vilma was able to beat out Sam Cowart for the starting MLB position for the Jets, then Marcus Spears can beat out the overrated Gary Walker for the LDE position. And Vilma was not expected to start at the MLB position either if you didn't know that. Having a huge contract, but producing little to nothing does not guarantee you a starting job in the NFL!!!!!!!

I thought you knew that idonno:

I second the DL rotation.

If Spears was drafted, you could cut into Walker's stats and while he would play less, he would probably be more productive. (for all the slow ones, this is better than "earning your paycheck" by getting in on all the snaps and still contributing relatively nothing)

Salary is earned by contribution, not by pulling out the lay-z-boy and saying you were there the whole time.

By the way, it's "Jason" Babin. And this wasn't in the above post, but if I see "Juppro" instead of "Joppru" one more time I might lose it.

LikeABoss said:
Whoever said anything about getting rid of Walker???

When I say "Walker isnt going anywhere," I mean walker isnt even going to the bench in favor of Spears.

LikeABoss said:
Having a huge contract, but producing little to nothing does not guarantee you a starting job in the NFL!!!!!!!

I thought you knew that :idonno:

No ****? I thought the bigger the contract the better the player. My point is that you dont give a player like Walker, a ton of money to ride the pine. Whats next, draft a FS with the #2 pick to replace Coleman?

LikeABoss said:
If Vilma was able to beat out Sam Cowart for the starting MLB position for the Jets, then Marcus Spears can beat out the overrated Gary Walker for the LDE position.

And dont use your one instance of a vet getting beat out with the D-ROY.

ledzeppelin269 said:
By the way, it's "Jason" Babin. And this wasn't in the above post, but if I see "Juppro" instead of "Joppru" one more time I might lose it.

I think he was making fun of an article that had Justin Babin in it, instead of Jason Babin.

Ok, well that makes sense. I was kind of in a rush before going to class and names repeatedly being spelled wrong goes to my head after awhile.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Because Robaire Smith is an upgrade over Payne at NT and Spears would be an upgrade over anyone we have at DE.

IMO I think Payne is servicable for another year while developing a rookie DT to take over the next season. Smith can play either position, but I think he is good staying at the RDE position, but we need to draft a NT in the later rounds to take over for Payne. We need more youth and athleticism on the D-line IMO. The front seven is the reason why this defense has struggled the past two seasons IMO.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Because Robaire Smith is an upgrade over Payne at NT and Spears would be an upgrade over anyone we have at DE.

Wow, why didn't you e-mail that to Capers last season? Seriously, Payne is very good at NT--look at the last half of the season for reference. I doubt very seriously, the Texans have not considered putting Smith at NT. Result--he stayed at RDE and DeLoach came in at NT. And Spears would be an upgrade from 2004 Walker, a downgrade from 2002 Walker and a downgrade from 2004 Smith IMO for 2005. Fine to draft him, but it is by no means sure he will win a starting job--which is fine by the way and a sign of serious development for the team when 1st and 2nd round picks aren't automatic starters.

if we pick at 13 and those guys would be available .. I would think Casserly would trade down a couple of spots and gain being we have about 4 options there. and if not.. I am thinking we go with DJ.. he is too good to pass up.

People say that DJ weakness is teams run at him...heck isn't that what they do to Foreman anyway? and at least DJ has some speed advantage and you can't coach speed.

:howdy: Payne has had two leg injuries in two years . Payne is a good hard nosed player who does his job . If an average playing career for a RB is four years , I bet a nose gaurds is less. I'm not sure you put a player you plan on keeping ten years at noegaurd .

All this talk about DJ having problems getting off of blocks is crazy. I've heard all the analysis from every draft analysist's but tell me, what linebacker isn't going to have trouble getting off of blocks if you have O-Lineman all over you because you D-Lineman dont hold the point of attack???

That is why Ray Lewis was so dominate during their Super Bowl run. Tony Saragusa and team dominate the point of attack which freed up Ray Lewis and squad to have a field day crushing the run.

The answer is simple. Get a monster interior D-Lineman who isn't going to get blown off of the ball and is going to hold the point of attack, and the Linebackers will have open shots at the ball carriers and quarterbacks.

The problem is, your not going to get everything at one time. If DJ is available at 13, which I don't think he will, then you draft him. If not, you draft a stud for the D-Line like Marcus Spears and try to get a big N-Tackle in the later rounds. Seth Payne is a good player, but he does get pushed around alot and doesn't hold the point of attack.

Maybe we could persuade the Goose to come out of retirement.... Or even better, why don't we just tell Buffalo to give us Sam Adams, or tell Pittsburg to give us Casey Hampton. Maybe Detroit would be willing to give us Shaun Rogers. Obviously, I'm just kidding.

We're four years in, and like every team, we still have holes to fill and the Texans Charlie Casserly and team has done a fantastic job of getting players and building depth. Dom Capers understands defense and knows what it takes to build a shutdown defense. Look at his Carolina team, great D-Line, and linebackers. He'll do the same here.

We have improved every year and will continue to do so. We have a couple of holes to fill on the defense, obviously. But as important as the defense, as we have all broken down very well, we have to figure out some way to address the O-Line. Every successful team starts and ends in the trenches (both O-Line and D-Line). If they can get David Carr more time to set in the pocket to find receivers and let routes develop, our offense will be one of the tops in the NFL. Maybe we could convince some of the other teams in the first round to let us have their picks so we can pick all of the top players at both O-Line and Defense..... Yeah right!!

Of course, all of the above is in my humble opinion.......

Ray Lewis had Saragusa and Sam Adams at DTs . I am of the opionon that it starts in the trenches . If you lose there your done . I think that you don't have to have giant guys if you have decent size and are quick . If I'm playing Nose tackle and I penetrate enough to draw a guard I have tied up two OL .

Not that ray lewis isnt good, but when you had the goose and adams in the middle, how could you run against them? THey took up 4 blockers themselves and there would be no where in the middle to run. Of course Lewis made tackles because everything was either stuffed up or stretched outside. If this team had taht in the middle you got Sharper running sideways to make the tackles with forward momentum and you got peek and babin running people down in the backfield with their speed. The Dline needs the upgrade period. Another ILB would be nice but this team has talent already that cant be utilized until they get some help.

if Marcus Spears is available when the Texans draft then we can all agree who that pick should be. however if he is off the board any other DL in this years draft will have to be developed before making his impact felt. remember the #1 need is pass protection for Carr. if Carr can stay in the pocket (without fear) he will be more effective as will the Texans offense + rest for the defense, a strong offense is the best defense. as Vinny traded down & made his pick of David Baas (replacement for McKinney @ Center) he hit the nail on the head. maybe not the sexy move, but if it helps Carr reach his potential that would be brilliant. if Spears is available I'd take him. then try as they did last year to trade down into the 1st round with another package of picks to get Baas :twocents:

:howdy: Its no accident great middle linebackers have great lines in front . Jack Lambert had Mean Joe and Ernie Holmes. Lee Roy Jordan had Bob Lilly and Jethro Pugh . Mike Singletary Had the Fridge and Mongo . If offense is addition and defense is subtraction . What you try to take away on defense your trying to add on offense . Meaning our OL needs to improve alot to keep the QB upright .

Back